One surprising FO move Pegs/Black didn't make this offseason...

LabattBlue

Why don't the Sabres have an Assistant GM in their front office? Somebody to possibly groom that in the event they ever get the balls to fire DR, would have someone who could step in(Of course the downside would be...look who is doing the grooming).

They have an "Assistant to the GM", but unless that is a title Regier insisted upon, this sounds more like an Administrative Aide position.

Is this a case where DR is so insecure about his position, that he doesn't want an Assistant GM?

Why don't the Sabres have an Assistant GM in their front office? Somebody to possibly groom that in the event they ever get the balls to fire DR, would have someone who could step in(Of course the downside would be...look who is doing the grooming).

They have an "Assistant to the GM", but unless that is a title Regier insisted upon, this sounds more like an Administrative Aide position.

Is this a case where DR is so insecure about his position, that he doesn't want an Assistant GM?

I think you are right ... the assistant to the GM would order lunch, make travel arrangement and the like.

DR definately would not want an Assistant GM ... he would feel too threatened by that. I wanted them to bring Dudley in that type of role, but I knew it would never happen.

I noticed thay also have a "Administravive Assistant Coach" on staff (according to sabres.com). In my mind that is the similar role for Lindy.

I checked 4 or 5, and yes, they all have Assistant GM's.

Wings = yes.

Bruins = yes ... two.

Penguins = yes ... also an "Assistant to the GM" ... to order lunch.

I'm not sure on the title but DR did say that his assistant made up the deal for Enroth this year.

OK, Mark, fire up your laptop. Click on the file marked Contract.docx. Under name, write Jhonas Enroth ... J..H..O.. it's in the file Roster.xlsx. Now, check the box for "one way" and under years, enter 2. On the first year line, pick a salary, something close to the league minimum, but a little above it ... don't want to seem cheap, anymore. On the year two line, add on, say, another $100k ... that should keep him happy ... for now. There you go, your first contract. Fax ... er ... email that over to his agent ... his email is the last cell in Rosters.xlsx.

OK, Mark, fire up your laptop. Click on the file marked Contract.docx. Under name, write Jhonas Enroth ... J..H..O.. it's in the file Roster.xlsx. Now, check the box for "one way" and under years, enter 2. On the first year line, pick a salary, something close to the league minimum, but a little above it ... don't want to seem cheap, anymore. On the year two line, add on, say, another $100k ... that should keep him happy ... for now. There you go, your first contract. Fax ... er ... email that over to his agent ... his email is the last cell in Rosters.xlsx.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I don't often agree with Bucky Gleason but I'm kind of intrigued by his suggestion that the Sabres should have brought in Rick Dudley to either act as an Advisor/Assistant GM or serve as GM outright with Darcy being moved toward a Director of Scouting role. I'm not sure it would be teneble in any way, but adding more voices and hockey experience, particularly when it's someone with such close ties to the area and organization (he lives in Lewiston, IIRC), can help in a front office that may have grown stale after 14 years.

Anyway, the Leafs beat us to the punch by hiring him as Assistant GM, although I'm not exactly clear what his specific responsibilities entail--- but it's the kind of move I'd wished Pegula/Black would have made.

I don't often agree with Bucky Gleason but I'm kind of intrigued by his suggestion that the Sabres should have brought in Rick Dudley to either act as an Advisor/Assistant GM or serve as GM outright with Darcy being moved toward a Director of Scouting role. I'm not sure it would be teneble in any way, but adding more voices and hockey experience, particularly when it's someone with such close ties to the area and organization (he lives in Lewiston, IIRC), can help in a front office that may have grown stale after 14 years.

Anyway, the Leafs beat us to the punch by hiring him as Assistant GM, although I'm not exactly clear what his specific responsibilities entail--- but it's the kind of move I'd wished Pegula/Black would have made.

I have said the same thing.

I will GM this team for $150,000 a year. I want my salary to double after every playoff series victory for that year. I want full control over coaching staff. If team wins Stanley Cup more than 1 time in 5 years, I want a 5% equity position in the team. If I do not win a playoff series in my 1st year on the job, I will step down. If my team does not get to the Stanley Cup in 3 years, I will step down.

Mr. Black, feel free to PM me.

Archived