One surprising FO move Pegs/Black didn't make this offseason...

LabattBlue

I was actually very surprised they didn't bring in another hockey man regardless of the title. While I am long way from pessimistic, I am starting to wonder if I was giving them a lot of credit before they earned it.

I think these guys have patience. Maybe the guy they want is in his last year (or two?) of his current deal?

I will GM this team for $150,000 a year. I want my salary to double after every playoff series victory for that year. I want full control over coaching staff. If team wins Stanley Cup more than 1 time in 5 years, I want a 5% equity position in the team. If I do not win a playoff series in my 1st year on the job, I will step down. If my team does not get to the Stanley Cup in 3 years, I will step down.

Mr. Black, feel free to PM me.

Mr. Black feel free to PM Mr. GoDD ... actually, PM me ... I'm now his agent ... :thumbsup:

I think these guys have patience. Maybe the guy they want is in his last year (or two?) of his current deal?

That could be, but that would be a pretty risky strategy considering the exec in question could re-up with his current team. Hopefully their "list" has more than one qualified name on it. :rolleyes:

Anything of value to add to the discussion? :doh:

Why would he start now?

We heard a lot about adding scouts and the focus on player development going into last off-season. Why wouldn't they also bring in "hockey" minds into the front office. Toronto added Rick Dudley and already had Burke and Fletcher in the mix. That is a lot of hockey knowledge available to the Leafs and it appears to be paying off for them this season. Scotty Bowman is another example of adding hockey knowledge to Chicago's front office. With an owner that is willing to pay the bill why wouldn't the Sabres be adding assistant GMs or consultants.

Why would he start now?

We heard a lot about adding scouts and the focus on player development going into last off-season. Why wouldn't they also bring in "hockey" minds into the front office. Toronto added Rick Dudley and already had Burke and Fletcher in the mix. That is a lot of hockey knowledge available to the Leafs and it appears to be paying off for them this season. Scotty Bowman is another example of adding hockey knowledge to Chicago's front office. With an owner that is willing to pay the bill why wouldn't the Sabres be adding assistant GMs or consultants.

Somewhere I saved the Sabres FO staff directory from last season, so I could compare it to this season. I can't remember where I saved it to! :doh:

I usually save stuff like that in my 'Stuff to get pissed at later." folder.

I still can't remember where I saved the directory, but I found a thread I started about this back in March. Good post in the thread from PA...

http://forums.sabres...post__p__257205

PS In the thread from March, I even mention how I am going to save the directory. I hate getting old! :lol:

I didn't know old media guides were online. :)

google-girl.jpg

I'm not sure on the title but DR did say that his assistant made up the deal for Enroth this year.

Mark Jakubowski begins his sixth year with the Sabres and third as the Assistant to the General Manager. His responsibilities include statistical and salary cap analysis, contract research relating to player negotiations and arbitrations, managing player transfers, team roster administration, and all matters relat- ing to compliance with the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement and other NHL agreements. Jakubowski also assists with the American Hockey League hockey operations of the team’s minor league affiliate, the Portland Pirates.

Jakubowski graduated with an economics degree from the University of Rochester, where he also played baseball. He resides in Hamburg, NY.

A fine young man indeed.

Why would he start now?

Personnel decisions usually follow a job description.

What is an Assistant GM assisting with?

Not being snarky here......but what I usually suspect is that GM's that don't have a lot of stability featherbed their front office.

You brought up Burke, the guy who hired his college buddy (Wilson - who I've always thought was a good coach BTW)..... so just to play the foil.......what are Nonis, Fletcher, Poulin and Dudley (who was famously hired without any job description or title), doing?

The cynical part of me says a lot of hires are part of the NHL jobs program.

Once Burke goes from Toronto, one of these guys will throw him a bone and probably return the favor.

Because the Leafs really haven't had an single owner, you have to wonder about their due diligence process.

Just now I remembered where the screen shot was from 3/1 that I copied. Here are the FO differences between then and now...

Added

Pro Scout/Player Development - Eric Weinrich

Amatuer Scout - Dave Torrie

Hockey Technologies Manager - Kyle Kiebzak

New Title

Amatuer Scouting Operations - Scott Schranz(formerly Director of Hockey Analytics)

Hockey Analytics Asst. - Graham Beamish(formerly Grad Asst. - Hockey Analytics)

Gone

Asst. Director of Hockey Analytics - Ryan Vinz

That's it.

Just now I remembered where the screen shot was from 3/1 that I copied. Here are the FO differences between then and now...

Added

Pro Scout/Player Development - Eric Weinrich

Amatuer Scout - Dave Torrie

Hockey Technologies Manager - Kyle Kiebzak

New Title

Amatuer Scouting Operations - Scott Schranz(formerly Director of Hockey Analytics)

Hockey Analytics Asst. - Graham Beamish(formerly Grad Asst. - Hockey Analytics)

Gone

Asst. Director of Hockey Analytics - Ryan Vinz

That's it.

So then, we should have a position by position comparison between the Sabres and Detroit and see what it shows.

Archived