The Quarter Mark

HopefulFuture

Well, it's the quarter mark of the season. This should be enough time to gauge the teams performance and take a look at it's pro's and con's. Let's here what we all have to say about where the team is and where it needs to be.

For me, sucks we lost Miller, Enroth appears to be able to hold the fort down so goaltending is in ok shape. I won't say were better without Miller, but I will say we aren't worse.

The defense is a complete mess. I can't say it's individual performance or lack of team effort. I believe it to be a combination of both.

I like Regher, not fond of Ehrhoff.

Myers is a shocker so far.

Leopold, Weber, Gragnani, meh.

Just a terrible, terrible effort by a majority of these guys.

The offense is no better. Same problem we've all been griping about for 4 seasons now, outside of Vanek and Pominville (and Roy to a bit of a lesser extent) this team has no one who can step up and contribute on a more regular basis. A recipe for failure in my opinion.

No chemistry on the lines, the same old missing opportunities over and over again then, the constant line shuffling by Lindy.

Leino signing is a bust unless we address the center position.

Adam is coming along though.

Ennis out hurts a bit.

Stafford has all but vanished.

Vanek, Roy and Pominville carrying the load, but don't really and never have been a great line together, so once again, that elusive center hurts so far.

Boyes is ok, but being relegated to 3rd line duties has hurt his offensive touch, another mis-utilized offensive player in my opinion.

Lack of toughness, compete and desire to close the deal when given opportunities continue to plague this team.

8 losses is high even though we sit in 2nd place in the conference, and this is where I feel fortunate. We are currently in 2nd place in the conference so there is alot to be positive about as well. Some how we've managed to stay afloat, even with the major breakdowns. There is more room for improvement to be sure, but there is also plenty to be happy about right now.

So, what are your thoughts at the quarter mark?

Well, it's the quarter mark of the season. This should be enough time to gauge the teams performance and take a look at it's pro's and con's. Let's here what we all have to say about where the team is and where it needs to be.

For me, sucks we lost Miller, Enroth appears to be able to hold the fort down so goaltending is in ok shape. I won't say were better without Miller, but I will say we aren't worse.

The defense is a complete mess. I can't say it's individual performance or lack of team effort. I believe it to be a combination of both.

The offense is no better. Same problem we've all been griping about for 4 seasons now, outside of Vanek and Pominville (and Roy to a bit of a lesser extent) this team has no one who can step up and contribute on a more regular basis. A recipe for failure in my opinion.

No chemistry on the lines, the same old missing opportunities over and over again then, the constant line shuffling by Lindy.

Ennis out hurts a bit.

Vanek, Roy and Pominville carrying the load, but don't really and never have been a great line together, so once again, that elusive center hurts so far.

Boyes is ok, but being relegated to 3rd line duties has hurt his offensive touch, another mis-utilized offensive player in my opinion.

Lack of toughness, compete and desire to close the deal when given opportunities continue to plague this team.

8 losses is high even though we sit in 2nd place in the conference, and this is where I feel fortunate. We are currently in 2nd place in the conference so there is alot to be positive about as well. Some how we've managed to stay afloat, even with the major breakdowns. There is more for improvement to be sure, but there is also plenty to be happy about right now.

yet for all of this, somehow, we are miraculously atop the NE division and 2nd in the conference. not to beat a dead horse, but at some point, this team is going to gel. at that point, as far as the regular season is concerned, the rest of the division can pretty much mail it in. we'll finesse our way into at least a top 3 seeding going into the playoffs.

and that'll pretty much be where the fat lady starts singing. we *don't* have the grit we need to hang with boston throughout the playoffs. hell, we don't have the grit to hang with tampa bay. that's sad. unless myers, weber, mccormick, kaleta, et al can somehow infuse some sense of physical fear in this conference/league, then we're going to have a very long summer.

we do need that #1 center. we do need more physicality out of the team. otherwise ...

Ennis out hurts a bit.

8 losses is high even though we sit in 2nd place in the conference, and this is where I feel fortunate. We are currently in 2nd place in the conference so there is alot to be positive about as well. Some how we've managed to stay afloat, even with the major breakdowns. There is more room for improvement to be sure, but there is also plenty to be happy about right now.

I agree with all your points for the most part ...

Bottom line for me is the fact that the coaching staff appear to be at a lose as to how to put all the pieces together.

For years we have heard that Ruff is a great coach based on what he has to work with ... Regier's hands are tied because of ownership and budget. Well, Regier's hands were untied and Ruff now has many more / better (?????) pieces to work with.

Miller - C+

Enroth - B

Myers - C-

Leopold - B

Regehr - A

Ehrhoff - C

Sekera - B+

Gragnani - C

Weber - C

Vanek - A

Roy - B-

Stafford - C

Pominville - A

Leino - D-

Ennis - C

Boyes - B-

Adam - C+

Gaustad - C

Kaleta - C+

McCormick - B+

Tropp - C+

Ellis - C

Gerbe - B-

Summary...

The elite blueline corp of puck movers and mobile skaters has to be better...A LOT BETTER. Myers is a mystery to me. I believe this group will be our downfall come playoff time. I don't like the makeup at all, especially if Weber continues to be the 7th defenseman...when healthy.

Miller started great and then fell apart prior to getting run. Lindy and staff have to get his head on right. Enroth despite faltering a bit recently, has been a pleasant surprise.

Vanek and Pominville...AWESOME. Roy has been better recently, but can really suck in terms of defensive play. His faceoffs this year have been much better than at any previous point in his career. Gerbe continues to be a bargain even though his play has also tailed off. Maybe the light did not come on for Stafford. Adam is better than last season but still has a ways to go. Hopefully Hecht is healthy and can play the rest of the season. Ditto for Ennis. Other than being able to control the puck along the boards, Leino has done NOTHING. Boyes has picked up his play despite being moved down in the lineup. If McCormick has a concussion, the little bit of toughness this team has, just took a BIG hit.

I will continue to preach that there is a good chance that the players have tuned out Lindy, and that his message/methods have become stale.

Darcy gets a big fat incomplete. Leino and Erhroff both appear to be nothing special, and the team in general continues to be too small and built more on finesse, and less on physical play. He just doesn't seem to be able to find the right mix. No doubt he will be pissing away draft picks at the deadline to compensate for his brain farts in the offseason. The center position is once again a problem at the NHL level, the AHL level, and prospects in juniors/college/europe.

I think most of the disappointment stems from the lofty expectations from the start of the Pegula era. The prevailing theory around here is that the Sabres have played terribly, but somehow have a winning record. I disagree. I think they've pretty much played in a manner that reflects a 60% winning percentage. Nothing special, but enough for now. Frankly, I don't know if there's a team in the NHL without a major flaw. If there is one it's Boston.

My biggest concern right now is how much trouble the team could be in if Enroth slumps. The offense hasn't been the efficient machine we imagined, so if they're routinely forced to score 4 goals or more we could see trouble.

As for the standings, it's nice to be able to say we're in 2nd place overall, but when you look at how tightly packed the Eastern Conference is (especially our own division) it's really meaningless.

Big ups to Vanek, Pominville, Enroth, Regehr and the totality of the penalty kill. :worthy:

I'm concerned about:

Secondary scoring — this should be a strength, but Stafford is squeezing the stick, Ennis was ineffective before getting hurt, Boyes hasn't really been given a chance until recently and Leino has mostly sucked

Battle — Gaustad, McCormick and Kaleta have been fine, but the rest of the team offers very little in that category. The Lucic questions must be answered.

Myers has mostly looked like the the Myers of last November, when we need the Myers of last April.

Hecht — the team could use a player like him, but I'm starting to worry about his career.

I'm lukewarm with:

Miller's game — not as bad as a some have made it out, not as good as it could be.

the bulk of the defence corps, which should be better, but until lately has been pretty good about getting the puck out and avoiding being trapped in the zone.

The power play, which has not looked together yet, though it has still produced.

Derek Roy's direction. He still can be frustratingly Derek Roy-like, but at least the jump is back in his game.

I'm pleased about:

the play of Jhonas Enroth, who has played like a number one goalie until Miller got hurt.

Robyn Regehr, who has been exactly what I had hoped he would be.

Nathan Gerbe and Andrej Sekera, who have played better than their standings on the depth chart should indicate.

The fact that young forwards Luke Adam and Corey Tropp have provided depth and contributed while here.

The record — first in the division, second in the conference.

I'm ecstatic about:

the play of Vanek, who has looked like a franchise winger.

the play of Pominville, who some of you may be ready to acknowledge is better than a "third-line winger."

the penalty killing, which has been rock solid

I guess overall, I'd give the team a C-plus.

This team hasn't quite gelled, but it is quite skilled. I would be stunned if it failed to make the playoffs.

Miller, Ehrhoff and Myers will be better. Boyes, Leino, Stafford and Ennis still have a few months to come around.

But even if that happens, we need some sandpaper in the top six, preferably at centre.

If we don't get it — change the mix — our playoff stint is not going to be a long one.

As for the standings, it's nice to be able to say we're in 2nd place overall, but when you look at how tightly packed the Eastern Conference is (especially our own division) it's really meaningless.

Big ups to Vanek, Pominville, Enroth, Regehr and the totality of the penalty kill. :worthy:

The Sabres are not 2nd in the conference. The only stat that should be used to measure where a team is at this point, is point percentage. GoDD has brought this up several times.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSAAAll&sort=pointPctg&viewName=summary

Good post and a lot of points I agree with although I'll add my own comments to each of your categories.

Goaltending:A- Very pleased with Enroth and can't imagine where we would be right now w/Miller out if we had to rely on Lalime. Yes I do wish Miller was back but back to playing the way he was 2 years ago. Not sure what happened to his game but he was struggling there big time before he got hurt. Hope it has nothing to do with the concussion he suffred at the end of last season and rushing back early for the playoff's. Can't say for sure but look how long its taken Sid to really recover.

Defense: C Couldn't agree more with the mess comment. My biggest diappointment is Erhoff. I can't believe they gave him that contract for these kind of results. Just what kind of research did Darcy do for this guy before hand. My fear is he turns into a Wade Redden type signing. He is the highest paid why isn't he the highest played.

Forwards: B- I really thought this was going to be a solid year for them with the way Ennis, Stafford and Gerbe finished last year. Not sure why this group is struggling as bad as they have. Leino really looks lost out there, he over handles the puck way too often and you can tell he isn't feeling it. I fear this one looks a lot the like the Raffi Torres signing at this point. Vanek, Pominville and roy to lesser extent are what makes this grade.

Coaching: C- A bit disappointed here. I like them bringing in Teppo as a working coach for the defense and think that between Patrick and him they should be able to get the D group performing much better. I was a bit disappointed in the choice of Kevin Adams as an offensive coach because he seemed to lack the pedigree(experience) I thought they needed to help out the PP and fowards overall. It's his first real gig so jury is still out for me on this one. Ultimately the Head coach is resposible for making this all work. Not sure Tpegs should have said Lindy ain't going nowhere as much as I would have liked him to say that Lindy will get everything he needs to succeed. WE know that is the case so I have to wonder since Ruff had a say in the players Darcy signed why they look so lost in "the System" and I hope what we are seeing isn't a case of "Lindy's system does not work for every type of player." I think they really need to make sure theyresearch and bring in the players that match the style of play they are looking for assuming they know what that is.

Chemistry: D Lacking completely. They get new digs, and Tpegs throws out money like the Sabres are the New York Rangers but they maybe getting some of the same results with the new signee's that we have seen on broadway(more misses than homeruns). Even though I by far and away like Regher the best of the newbee's he does not appear to be playing to his previous level of nasty. I am of the mind that it may be a top down organization culture thing.

The Sabres are not 2nd in the conference. The only stat that should be used to measure where a team is at this point, is point percentage. GoDD has brought this up several times.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20122ALLSAAAll&sort=pointPctg&viewName=summary

Thanks for pointing that out. 6th place seems about right. We will be 2nd by virtue of leading the division in point percentage if we defeat Boston on Wednesday.

But then you get into the Deluca conundrum of points being awarded for games that haven't even been played.

Good post and a lot of points I agree with although I'll add my own comments to each of your categories.

Goaltending:A- Very pleased with Enroth and can't imagine where we would be right now w/Miller out if we had to rely on Lalime. Yes I do wish Miller was back but back to playing the way he was 2 years ago. Not sure what happened to his game but he was struggling there big time before he got hurt. Hope it has nothing to do with the concussion he suffred at the end of last season and rushing back early for the playoff's. Can't say for sure but look how long its taken Sid to really recover.

Defense: C Couldn't agree more with the mess comment. My biggest diappointment is Erhoff. I can't believe they gave him that contract for these kind of results. Just what kind of research did Darcy do for this guy before hand. My fear is he turns into a Wade Redden type signing. He is the highest paid why isn't he the highest played.

Forwards: B - I really thought this was going to be a solid year for them with the way Ennis, Stafford and Gerbe finished last year. Not sure why this group is struggling as bad as they have. Leino really looks lost out there, he over handles the puck way too often and you can tell he isn't feeling it. I fear this one looks a lot the like the Raffi Torres signing at this point. Vanek, Pominville and roy to lesser extent are what makes this grade.

Coaching: C- A bit disappointed here. I like them bringing in Teppo as a working coach for the defense and think that between Patrick and him they should be able to get the D group performing much better. I was a bit disappointed in the choice of Kevin Adams as an offensive coach because he seemed to lack the pedigree(experience) I thought they needed to help out the PP and fowards overall. It's his first real gig so jury is still out for me on this one. Ultimately the Head coach is resposible for making this all work. Not sure Tpegs should have said Lindy ain't going nowhere as much as I would have liked him to say that Lindy will get everything he needs to succeed. WE know that is the case so I have to wonder since Ruff had a say in the players Darcy signed why they look so lost in "the System" and I hope what we are seeing isn't a case of "Lindy's system does not work for every type of player." I think they really need to make sure theyresearch and bring in the players that match the style of play they are looking for assuming they know what that is.

Chemistry: D Lacking completely. They get new digs, and Tpegs throws out money like the Sabres are the New York Rangers but they maybe getting some of the same results with the new signee's that we have seen on broadway(more misses than homeruns). Even though I by far and away like Regher the best of the newbee's he does not appear to be playing to his previous level of nasty. I am of the mind that it may be a top down organization culture thing.

Re: Ehrhoff - Maybe the new owner threw his weight around to get Ehrhoff here, rather than Regier or Ruff. We'll never know. If they continue to lose and show no chemistry, I wonder if at some point Ruff will be on the hot seat. He should be. Besides Roy Pominville Vanek and Gerbe, none of the FW are performing anywhere near their ability. I am and continue to be very disappointed that they haven't shown Ruff the door. I don't care how many NHL teams would be in line for his services. His message and results continue to be and have always been slightly better than mediocre.

Ennis out hurts a bit.

I think with the Sabres being in 2nd place only says we have the talent to get the job done. I think with Lindy changes the lines means he's looking for the chemistry, and so are the players. They seem to have bought into the system but just need time to come together and make it work even better.

I also feel the team is very soft. If this team does not put up some fights it will send that message all around that they are soft. I understand Keleta and just getting back, but the team needs to stand for each other and after reading what Lindy did by talking with individuals says it all. I bet the team would even cover a suspension or two to make a point clear. DON'T MESS WITH US! Until they really drop the gloves and go all out, they will be soft. Soft teams don't go deep in the playoffs and this has been the Sabres problem for a few years. Hopefully this will change as it needs to.

Great Topic, I agree with a lot of this. Ville has grown on me but He just doesn't fit on this team without a center....bad signing.

Ehroff hasn't looked to bad but definately isn't worth the money he has given but I believe he will turn things around.

To me the biggest issue of all is the gelling aspect of the team which solely belongs to the coaching staff. Starting with the defense which looks lost at times when trying to get the puck out of the zone and ESPECIALLY PICKING UP PLAYERS RUSHING INTO OUR ZONE.

Lindy really needs to show us why he is the longest tenure coach and start coaching this team to be a complete team. They have great ability that lacks some physical power but there are physical players on the team. We still are a top team in the NHl with all of these problems we are noticing as fans.

I do think things will turn around and this team will start to Gel together. I really though that the hit on Miller would have done that but maybe another spark needs to occur. Not sure what that spark is just yet but I Hope Lindy has a better Idea and a plan.

Miller - C+

Enroth - B

Myers - C-

Leopold - B

Regehr - A

Ehrhoff - C

Sekera - B+

Gragnani - C

Weber - C

Vanek - A

Roy - B-

Stafford - C

Pominville - A

Leino - D-

Ennis - C

Boyes - B-

Adam - C+

Gaustad - C

Kaleta - C+

McCormick - B+

Tropp - C+

Ellis - C

Gerbe - B-

Summary...

The elite blueline corp of puck movers and mobile skaters has to be better...A LOT BETTER. Myers is a mystery to me. I believe this group will be our downfall come playoff time. I don't like the makeup at all, especially if Weber continues to be the 7th defenseman...when healthy.

Miller started great and then fell apart prior to getting run. Lindy and staff have to get his head on right. Enroth despite faltering a bit recently, has been a pleasant surprise.

Vanek and Pominville...AWESOME. Roy has been better recently, but can really suck in terms of defensive play. His faceoffs this year have been much better than at any previous point in his career. Gerbe continues to be a bargain even though his play has also tailed off. Maybe the light did not come on for Stafford. Adam is better than last season but still has a ways to go. Hopefully Hecht is healthy and can play the rest of the season. Ditto for Ennis. Other than being able to control the puck along the boards, Leino has done NOTHING. Boyes has picked up his play despite being moved down in the lineup. If McCormick has a concussion, the little bit of toughness this team has, just took a BIG hit.

I will continue to preach that there is a good chance that the players have tuned out Lindy, and that his message/methods have become stale.

Darcy gets a big fat incomplete. Leino and Erhroff both appear to be nothing special, and the team in general continues to be too small and built more on finesse, and less on physical play. He just doesn't seem to be able to find the right mix. No doubt he will be pissing away draft picks at the deadline to compensate for his brain farts in the offseason. The center position is once again a problem at the NHL level, the AHL level, and prospects in juniors/college/europe.

Wow, those are some VERY generous grades you have given out.

Just because Regier gave out big contracts over the offseason, it doesn't mean he picked up good players. Ehrhoff was a huge overpayment by Darcy (not only in contract value, but we also lost a pick for him too), and is the exact same player the Canucks fans said he is prior to the offseason. Many thought he is decent, but no where near the kind of player worth what he was going to ask for in the offseason. They weren't sad to see him leave. Leino is a complete BUST at this point, Sadly, I think Timmy has had a bigger impact for the few games he has been in the Leafs lineup then leino has had on the Sabres all year.

Sadly though, the blame will be put on Ruff for "getting better players" (better cause they were given more money to play here) and getting the same results. Regier just showed in the offseason that he can give out bigger contracts, but unfortunatly not to better players

Bottom line for me is that there was a fair amount of turnover in the D and in the top 6 forwards, so I was expecting this team to have some getting-acquainted issues. Even so, however, I was hoping to see more heart out of this team. Their performance in almost all of their home games, and the disgraceful showings against Philly and Boston, were very disappointing.

I've also been pretty disappointed in Stafford and Boyes. Their line has been skating well and creating chances, but those 2 in particular are being paid to convert on scoring chances and they are not getting it done. My disappointment is tempered by the fact that I think the effort is there, so it's likely that the scoring will come, but there is certainly a chance that one or both of them puts up a 15-goal, 20-assist season, which is well below what the Sabres need from them.

Re: Ehrhoff - Maybe the new owner threw his weight around to get Ehrhoff here, rather than Regier or Ruff. We'll never know. If they continue to lose and show no chemistry, I wonder if at some point Ruff will be on the hot seat. He should be. Besides Roy Pominville Vanek and Gerbe, none of the FW are performing anywhere near their ability. I am and continue to be very disappointed that they haven't shown Ruff the door. I don't care how many NHL teams would be in line for his services. His message and results continue to be and have always been slightly better than mediocre.

Not before Darcy is. When was the last time Regier made a great deal?

I'm getting sick of the "This team just needs to gel". How many new players are there on the roster this year compared to last season? Regher, Ehrhoff and Leino, and to an extent Adams. Everyone else has been part of the organisation and played here before. Why is this an issue with the Sabres? I would think that the majority of the NHL teams have around 3 new players on their roster every season

Bottom line for me is that there was a fair amount of turnover in the D and in the top 6 forwards, so I was expecting this team to have some getting-acquainted issues. Even so, however, I was hoping to see more heart out of this team. Their performance in almost all of their home games, and the disgraceful showings against Philly and Boston, were very disappointing.

I've also been pretty disappointed in Stafford and Boyes. Their line has been skating well and creating chances, but those 2 in particular are being paid to convert on scoring chances and they are not getting it done. My disappointment is tempered by the fact that I think the effort is there, so it's likely that the scoring will come, but there is certainly a chance that one or both of them puts up a 15-goal, 20-assist season, which is well below what the Sabres need from them.

Theres a reason why Boyes previous team had given up on him, sometimes players just don't pan out to their potential.

As for Stafford, this is nothing new for him, he has been very streaky over his career

Not before Darcy is. When was the last time Regier made a great deal?

I'm getting sick of the "This team just needs to gel". How many new players are there on the roster this year compared to last season? Regher, Ehrhoff and Leino, and to an extent Adams. Everyone else has been part of the organisation and played here before. Why is this an issue with the Sabres? I would think that the majority of the NHL teams have around 3 new players on their roster every season

I think way too many people were quick to give Darcy a pat on the back after this off-season. All this talk of "the shackles being removed", doesn't mean anything except that he now has an owner willing to spend to the cap, give out huge signing bonuses, and is willing to bury salary cap mistakes in Rochester.

I guarantee that Darcy will not be making any major moves in-season. We will be told that the new players need time to adjust, many injuries, blah, blah, blah...

I seriously hope that Regier does not hand out draft picks like candy, once again at the deadline. Why not trade one of the million defensemen you have stockpiled over the last 6 or 7 years, if you really need to make a deadline deal.

This is about where I'm at. More disappointed in Stafford than Boyes. Boyes seems to have found some life on PP.

We still have problems with scoring depth in the top 6. Vanek and Pommer seemed to have stepped it up but the rest of the scoring forwards are a bit of a disappointment. I can't imagine it gets alot better as the season wears on and teams tighten up in the second half. And center is still a glaring weak spot. Heart and tenacity is a very fleeting thing with this team and only seems to consistantly appear when their backs are against the wall. I'm not sure what the issue is on defence. I don't know if it is chemistry, a bad mix of personalities/skill sets, or if multiple players are just "off" right now. If Myers can get straight and Erhoff get some confidence back I think it'll work out though.

I guess I was hoping more than expecting that the offseason aquisitions would be enough to get us closer to the top but at the end of the day the core (both offense and defense) hasn't changed and we are still seeing the same faults as recent seasons. I shouldn't be suprised.

You guys are harsh! The Sabres are in second place and all I read is how bad they are. What gives? I stated before they are soft and soft teams don't go deep in the playoffs but they are not bad. I think if anything Miller is a decent goalie at best as well. Not one person can or has explained to me what makes him elite besides the one year. Othet than that they are playing decent hockey. It could be like last year.

Archived