RIP Milt Ellis

Corp000085

I remember that voice so, so well. It had to happen, but dammit, it still sucks. At least he was inducted into the Sabres HOF, as he should have been.

Oh, and Dr. Corp., please call your answering service. Dr. Corp., please call your answering service.

Buffalo goal, scored by number 11, Gilbert Perreault. Assists from number 7, Richard Martin, and number 14, Rene Robert. Perreault from Martin and Robert. Time of the goal: 15:36.

So understated, all of the time. It's a lost art.

PS: Your link is broken. EDIT: let me try: http://www.staffannouncer.com/miltellis.htm

I remember that voice so, so well. It had to happen, but dammit, it still sucks. At least he was inducted into the Sabres HOF, as he should have been.

Oh, and Dr. Corp., please call your answering service. Dr. Corp., please call your answering service.

Buffalo goal, scored by number 11, Gilbert Perreault. Assists from number 7, Richard Martin, and number 14, Rene Robert. Perreault from Martin and Robert. Time of the goal: 15:36.

PS: Your link is broken. EDIT: let me try: http://www.staffannouncer.com/miltellis.htm

Fantastic. That was his style summed up perfectly. The youngsters here that don't remember the Aud won't get it, but he was so much a part of the Aud experience that he probably smelt like old popcorn, stale beer, cigs, and pop and anything else that might have gotten spilled on the floor. If he didn't, he should have.

Another huge part of my childhood gone. :(

PS It should have been 7 from 11 & 14 (or 11 & 23 ;)). Gilbert was the setup man; Rico was the rockstar.

I think of Milt fondly every time I hear the obnoxious PA announcer they have now. <_<

when you hear today's PA announcer, the national anthem singer and the organist, as well as Sabretooth and all else that passes for entertainment in Niagara Center,

it seems the Buffalo Sabres have lost their class.

when you hear today's PA announcer, the national anthem singer and the organist, as well as Sabretooth and all else that passes for entertainment in Niagara Center,

You would think that Mr. Pegula would have addressed these issues as well ...

These items are probably somewhere on his "to do" list and since everything else has been addressed they are probably moving up on that list.

AMEN! My wife asked me if I remembered him; I gave the EXACT same example (other than the time, I said 13:33).

Thanks for the memories Milt. RIP

You would think that Mr. Pegula would have addressed these issues as well ...

These items are probably somewhere on his "to do" list and since everything else has been addressed they are probably moving up on that list.

Considering Nicolas Pickolas is hosting the tent party....it's actually getting worse.

Perfect.

RIP Milt.

Couldn't agree more. The over hyped goal announcements make my skin crawl. The way this guy says "TAAAH-MIS VAAAAAAN-EK!" makes us seem like an expansion team trying to convince the crowd that hockey is cool and exciting. Can thunder sticks be far behind?

On another note.. i used to do a Milt Ellis impersonation in high school. You can try it yourself, get an old paper towel tube and in your deepest voice, calmly speak into it close to someones ear.. "Buffalo penalty to number 17 Mike Foligno, 2 minutes for roughing. Foligno, 2 minutes for roughing. The time 5:18"

Considering Nicolas Pickolas is hosting the tent party....it's actually getting worse.

I remember sometime in the last 5 or so years when Picholas hosted the various events going on during breaks in the game. I don't remember how it started, but he was booed mercilessly. At some point they just stopped using him.

I remember sometime in the last 5 or so years when Picholas hosted the various events going on during breaks in the game. I don't remember how it started, but he was booed mercilessly. At some point they just stopped using him.

He's Baa-aack!

What I wouldn't give to go back in time a few decades and have the same feel of the Aud with all the fans and simple charms. The Sabres would have never been able to get away with a game like Boston the other night because 50 fans would throw beer at them through the folding gates in the lower golds.

I still have a few game pucks Joe Byron the anthem singer gave to my mom for me when she took care of him in the hospital.

I still have a few game pucks Joe Byron the anthem singer gave to my mom for me when she took care of him in the hospital.

i always think of tenor joe byron when i think of milt -- now please stand, remove your hats, and join in the singing of the canadian and u.s. national anthems with tenor joe byron ...

the sound of milt's voice makes me happy in a way that only something unequivocally good from your childhood can.

Indeed, Milt was part of the entire Sabres/ Aud experience and he has been, and will be sorely missed. Those were the days when the hockey game was the main attraction, not the food or music or fancy scoreboard. Milt was as unobtrusive as he could be so as not to detract from the on-ice action. I think every kid who was a Sabre fan back in those days who pretended to score a game-winning goal also imagined it was Milt Ellis announcing it. Milt, you were the best....

Your understated message won't be understood by those who didn't actually hear Milt at the Aud, but thanks - I actually heard Milt's voice. The "Dr call your answering service" is a classic from bygone era with cell phones.

Archived