Why the defense is made up of puck movers....

LabattBlue

Nothing like a good ole' theory on my part with few facts to back up my position as to why this "elite defense" is heavy on puck moving/mobility, and light on good solid defensive defensemen.

1. The Detroit Red Wing model(Holland/Babcock) of building a defense is based around defensemen that are mobile and good puck movers. Google this...you will find references to this model.

2. Lindy coached with Babcock at the 2010 Olympics and I am sure they had many conversations over the course of two weeks, and we already know the type of player Regier loves.

3. The Sabres defense is made up of 5 guys who are light on physical play and heavy on mobility/puck moving(Sekera, Myers, Gragnani, Leopold & Erhroff), and 2 guys who are defensive defensemen(Regehr & Weber). Of course, another factor is how good are you in terms of the skills you are supposedly bringing to the table.

4. The only problem with the Sabres trying to follow this model is that much of the Red Wing success over the last decade revolves around 3 NHL superstars(Zetterburg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom), and an always TREMENDOUS supporting cast.

Maybe as the year goes on, this team gels, and they start playing out of character, but short of that, I'm struggling with figuring out how this blueline group will lead them to even one playoff series victory let alone a deep run into May(I won't even attempt to address the potential playoff shortcomings of the forwards as a group at this time).

Flame away! :)

Nothing like a good ole' theory on my part with few facts to back up my position as to why this "elite defense" is heavy on puck moving/mobility, and light on good solid defensive defensemen.

1. The Detroit Red Wing model(Holland/Babcock) of building a defense is based around defensemen that are mobile and good puck movers. Google this...you will find references to this model.

2. Lindy coached with Babcock at the 2010 Olympics and I am sure they had many conversations over the course of two weeks, and we already know the type of player Regier loves.

3. The Sabres defense is made up of 5 guys who are light on physical play and heavy on mobility/puck moving(Sekera, Myers, Gragnani, Leopold & Erhroff), and 2 guys who are defensive defensemen(Regehr & Weber). Of course, another factor is how good are you in terms of the skills you are supposedly bringing to the table.

4. The only problem with the Sabres trying to follow this model is that much of the Red Wing success over the last decade revolves around 3 NHL superstars(Zetterburg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom), and an always TREMENDOUS supporting cast.

Maybe as the year goes on, this team gels, and they start playing out of character, but short of that, I'm struggling with figuring out how this blueline group will lead them to even one playoff series victory let alone a deep run into May(I won't even attempt to address the potential playoff shortcomings of the forwards as a group at this time).

I'm low on brain cells waiting to leave work early, so I don't think I can tackle a full on discussion response.

But just so you know I fully support your notion that the team could use a few more Regher's and a few less Ehrhoffs. (that was what you were getting at right :thumbsup: )

I completely agree. I wouldn't be on the Weber bandwagon nearly as much as I am these days if our supposedly Offensive Defenseman had actually been producing solid offense. However, I don't consider every D-man point shot being blocked, deflected, and resulting in a 2-on-1 breakaway to be good solid offense. And that is all I have seen this year out of our offensive defenseman. The exception being Tyler Myers last night.

I love the idea of an aggressive Defensive style... but I don't know if we have the skill to pull it off.

Good thread - was it really your position that we need more defensive D-men? Or that we need more talent in our top six and that we need to upgrade the talent on our 3rd and 4th lines?

Regehr is not an offensive defensman, but he makes a great first pass, I would say that he has the best outlet pass of any of our D-men.

I think this team is 3 or 4 pieces away from a legitimate cup contending team - A legit #1 center OR a legit power scoring top six wing a la Iginla. 1 or 2 nasty mean, mature wingers for our 4th line who are willing to work dirt cheap for the chance to get their name on the cup, and an upgrade to Leopold, who likely comes from within.

Give me all of that and Las Vegas will like our odds. It's not exactly how Detroit has done it, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Regier is on record multiple times referencing how Detroit is the model franchise.

Find me a Shanahan, Draper, McCarty, Knuble, LaPointe, Maltby and then we'll talk. That's when they were a chemistry laiden machine.

The Babcok team won it once. The Burke model won it just as well.

The Burke model was 2 puck movers and 4 that are hard to play against. I'll have to look at rosters when I get home but off the top of my head I'd say defensive models closer to Detroit's win the whole thing more often than Anaheims's model, at least in the last decade anyway. I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh and Chicago's D was closer to what Detroit did. I'm not sure how I would characterize Boston's D last year. 3 and 3?

Hmmm..... maybe Burke's model isn't greatly outnumbered?

Good thread - was it really your position that we need more defensive D-men?

^^^ This. I'd be much happier if they had a 4-3 mix. With three solid pucking moving guys, and 3 defensive defensemen. The spare guy can be either. I just don't like the mix especially if one of the two guys being relied on as a defensive defensemen is sitting in the press box most games.

.. and an upgrade to Leopold, who likely comes from within.

What's with the Leopold hate? I feel he's actually been pretty good this season.. no silly turnovers, pinches responsibly and crashes the net, scoring some good goals, and has a 20% shooting average.

By the way.. it'll definitely irk certain posters here.. but Sekera leads the Sabres d-men with the least giveaways.. just 4 in 18 games!

What's with the Leopold hate? I feel he's actually been pretty good this season.. no silly turnovers, pinches responsibly and crashes the net, scoring some good goals, and has a 20% shooting average.

By the way.. it'll definitely irk certain posters here.. but Sekera leads the Sabres d-men with the least giveaways.. just 4 in 18 games!

And I'm pretty sure every single one of those was in the Boston game.

I don't expect the top 6 D right now to be the top 6 through April.

For now, you pick up points, work towards the playoffs, and you build value in your players so that come February, you make moves for the playoff bulk and depth.

Worrying that your team doesn't have the stuff for the Stanley Cup right now is a little too far-sighted in November, when you just need to keep picking up points.

There are only about 4 teams in the league right now that have looked consistently good.

I agree with you. I guess my problem is that I'd go the exact opposite route. Build out from your all-world goalie and given him five to six great defensive defensemen and make it damn near impossible to score.

Too bad our deffense has shown not to be able to move the puck this year...........

Which is why I put in my 1st post..."Of course, another factor is how good are you in terms of the skills you are supposedly bringing to the table".

I didn't say they were good at it. ;)

I'd like to see Ruff change d-lineups depending on the strength or weakness of the opponent. If an opponent is big and likes to forecheck, you put in your physical guys. if they're susceptible to D-rush, then put in your defensive strikers. I know you go with who's going well, but it just seems Ruff's moves are all arbitrary and forced upon him in most cases.

I'd like to see Ruff change d-lineups depending on the strength or weakness of the opponent. If an opponent is big and likes to forecheck, you put in your physical guys. if they're susceptible to D-rush, then put in your defensive strikers. I know you go with who's going well, but it just seems Ruff's moves are all arbitrary and forced upon him in most cases.

Well which is it?

Regier is on record multiple times referencing how Detroit is the model franchise.

I didn't know that. :o

I'm pretty sure that had as much to do with building from within (i.e., the draft) than anything else. Certainly, his philosophy on goaltenders is completely different than Detroit's.

Archived