GDT: Panthers at Sabres 10/29/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

i'm offline more than i'm on of late, and i regret that i can't read through this thread to day in order to get the insight i need regarding our team.

the thing that i will say, want to say, is that, after having watched the bulk of the last few games, it began to dawn on me: my biggest takeaway from this squad is that they are not much fun to watch. the W-L record is okay, could be better -- but the fact that it's boring for me to watch the team is of greater concern.

maybe it's just that it's october/november hockey. days gone by, that was something of a gospel truth -- hockey season doesn't begin in earnest until around the winter holidays.

I somewhat agree. Although sometimes I feel like maybe it's because the expectations are so high. I remember the Presidents trophy year, I was a wreck in the playoffs and didn't enjoy them much because I expected to win games and when we didn't it was disappointing. That's partly why the end of last year was so much fun because we stunk it up early and we weren't expected to make the playoffs. Don't know if this applies to this years team or not, just thinking aloud.

Considering Gerbe is pretty much the only Sabre showing up regularly I absolutely think you are way off track with this idea. You don't know what he said or didn't say to that ref and it sounds like he didn't say to much. You want him to learn a lesson? Like what? If he makes a mistake hes going to get benched? Thats a great confidence booster for the teams most consistent forward... Bottom line anyone showing emotion on this team of any kind is freaking good because its been an emotionless crap fest. Gerbe was mad cuz he didn't think the call was legit and good for him, at least 1 player on this team has a little backbone... If you bench gerbe for this then you better be benching Ehrhoff or Leion or some of the other guys who have been playing like crap because they have made more mistakes than laughing at a ref after a stupid call. Gerbe is a team player and benching his probably the worst idea for this rabble of a sports team.

Some mistakes are worse than others. Drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end of a tight game is not "showing a little backbone." It's a fundamentally selfish act -- putting his need to complain ahead of the team's need to lock down the win. "Showing a little backbone" would be defending a teammate in a scrum. If he did that I would have no problem at all.

And you can't say that we don't know what he said, and then in the next breath say that he didn't say much and all he did was laugh at the ref. You were right the first time -- we don't know. However, we do know that he said/did enough to get the penalty. That's what matters.

I like Gerbe a lot. But this was unacceptable IMHO. (And BTW he's not the team's most consistent forward -- this year both Pommer and Vanek have been more consistent.)

Some mistakes are worse than others. Drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end of a tight game is not "showing a little backbone." It's a fundamentally selfish act -- putting his need to complain ahead of the team's need to lock down the win. "Showing a little backbone" would be defending a teammate in a scrum. If he did that I would have no problem at all.

And you can't say that we don't know what he said, and then in the next breath say that he didn't say much and all he did was laugh at the ref. You were right the first time -- we don't know. However, we do know that he said/did enough to get the penalty. That's what matters.

I like Gerbe a lot. But this was unacceptable IMHO. (And BTW he's not the team's most consistent forward -- this year both Pommer and Vanek have been more consistent.)

No, Pommers and Vanek are the forwards getting the most points consistently. There is a difference. Gerbe is the player who noticeably trys to make a difference every shift and benching him for 1 mistake is dumb. Vanek took a penalty a few games back in the offensive zone and didnt that result in a goal and was late in a game? I didnt hear any clamor to bench him. Was it dumb of gerbe>? Yes. You think he didn't learn from that or get penalized enough by seeing his team lose than I think you don't understand the type of player/competitor gerbe is. IMHO benching gerbe for what happened is way out of line considering the players like Myers, Ehrhoff, Leino, Roy, and the list continues who have done nothing for this team so far this season, especially at home, continue to play... Benching gerbe is a terrible idea.

No, Pommers and Vanek are the forwards getting the most points consistently. There is a difference. Gerbe is the player who noticeably trys to make a difference every shift and benching him for 1 mistake is dumb. Vanek took a penalty a few games back in the offensive zone and didnt that result in a goal and was late in a game? I didnt hear any clamor to bench him. Was it dumb of gerbe>? Yes. You think he didn't learn from that or get penalized enough by seeing his team lose than I think you don't understand the type of player/competitor gerbe is. IMHO benching gerbe for what happened is way out of line considering the players like Myers, Ehrhoff, Leino, Roy, and the list continues who have done nothing for this team so far this season, especially at home, continue to play... Benching gerbe is a terrible idea.

Umm...Vanek and Pommers are most definitely noticeably trying on every shift. There has only been a few shifts in the 10 games so far where I've said "what line is out there right now?" when they were on the ice. I'll give you that Gerbe makes his presence known on the ice, and that he gives 100% every shift. But, to say he's the only one is a little whack...

Umm...Vanek and Pommers are most definitely noticeably trying on every shift. There has only been a few shifts in the 10 games so far where I've said "what line is out there right now?" when they were on the ice. I'll give you that Gerbe makes his presence known on the ice, and that he gives 100% every shift. But, to say he's the only one is a little whack...

Whigidy-whack.

If they don't have a letter on their chest they aren't supposed to speak to the refs period. Refs have been handing out unsportsmanlike minors for chirping as long as the game has been played, not 10 minute misconducts. They usually warn you before they do so. We don't get to the hear the ref's side of things. Would be nice to. I would bet my last dollar there was a lot more to it than laughing.

Stafford has a letter on his chest - maybe that's why the situations were treated differently.

I posted the above in the officiating complaint thread, but that conversation seems to have migrated over here, so I am re-posting it here.

THE ORIGINAL POINT WAS THAT GERBE IS THE MOST CONSISTENT PLAY HARD PLAYER WE HAVE AND BENCHING HIM IS STUPID. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT POMMERS AND VANEK NOT TRYING THIS YEAR BUT GERBE NEVER SEEMS TO TAKE A SHIFT OFF. BENCHING GERBE FOR HIM BEING EMOTIONAL ONE FREAKING TIME IS A HORRENDOUS IDEA THAT ONLY A FOOL WOULD CONSIDER. RE-READ MY POST NO WHERE DO I SAY VANEK AND POMMERS ARENT DOING ANYTHNG THEY SUCK AND GERBE IS THE ONLY PLAYER SHOWING UP. BENCHING GERBE IS A STUPID IDEA.

THE ORIGINAL POINT WAS THAT GERBE IS THE MOST CONSISTENT PLAY HARD PLAYER WE HAVE AND BENCHING HIM IS STUPID. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT POMMERS AND VANEK NOT TRYING THIS YEAR BUT GERBE NEVER SEEMS TO TAKE A SHIFT OFF. BENCHING GERBE FOR HIM BEING EMOTIONAL ONE FREAKING TIME IS A HORRENDOUS IDEA THAT ONLY A FOOL WOULD CONSIDER. RE-READ MY POST NO WHERE DO I SAY VANEK AND POMMERS ARENT DOING ANYTHNG THEY SUCK AND GERBE IS THE ONLY PLAYER SHOWING UP. BENCHING GERBE IS A STUPID IDEA.

Sorry, did you say something?

Woah Caps lock over-use my friend.

I misunderstood what you were saying then, but let's get this straight, at no point have I suggested he be benched, I was just trying to tell you that I disagreed that Gerbe was the only player showing up...it was a misunderstanding as to what you were saying. To be quite frank tho, you did mention that they were the only ones scoring consistently and that there was a difference, so I wanted to give my opinion. no need to bite anyone's head off here...

Woah Caps lock over-use my friend.

I misunderstood what you were saying then, but let's get this straight, at no point have I suggested he be benched, I was just trying to tell you that I disagreed that Gerbe was the only player showing up...it was a misunderstanding as to what you were saying. To be quite frank tho, you did mention that they were the only ones scoring consistently and that there was a difference, so I wanted to give my opinion. no need to bite anyone's head off here...

nfreeman is the only one whos head I am even nibbling. Gerbe is the most consistent playr in terms of his work ethic on the ice. he may not get rewarded all the time but he sure is hell shows up. nfreeman said he should be benched because of his penalty during the last game and i think that idea is "whiggidy-whack" to the "extreme yo"

Dude, don't get your liger in a knot. Problem here is you ramble. You take too long to get a point across and then ramble some more. You make it too hard to read A) no one will read it B) People think you mean something else.

I get your point. Just took too long to read it. And the caps don't help.

Dude, don't get your liger in a knot. Problem here is you ramble. You take too long to get a point across and then ramble some more. You make it too hard to read A) no one will read it B) People think you mean something else.

sorry. :blush:

nfreeman is the only one whos head I am even nibbling. Gerbe is the most consistent playr in terms of his work ethic on the ice. he may not get rewarded all the time but he sure is hell shows up. nfreeman said he should be benched because of his penalty during the last game and i think that idea is "whiggidy-whack" to the "extreme yo"

From this I can't tell if you like him or not...

If he did, he's not getting benched for the penalty. He's getting benched for mouthing off to an official. LR said after the game the "undisciplined actions are unacceptable". They are.

No. You said:

Thats a great confidence booster for the teams most consistent forward...

NOT "the most consistent play hard player."

So: you said Gerbe was their most consistent forward, and I and others disagreed, citing Pommer and Vanek. I think it's hard to disagree with that, but you are free to do so, and to make the case as to why you are right. But don't pretend you said something other than what you actually said.

Calm down, stop yelling, stop spraying a bunch of BS around and hoping that some of it is accurate, and don't claim you said something other than what you originally said when you get called on the original BS.

As far as whether "only a fool would consider" benching Gerbe -- Tortorella, who has won a Cup, benched Avery in the playoffs a couple of years ago for similar behavior, when Avery was the Rangers' most effective forward. (Now, as it turns out, Tortorella was probably wrong to do so, as the Rangers played in a deflated fashion and went on to lose that series to the Caps. But Torts isn't "a fool.")

No. You said:

NOT "the most consistent play hard player."

So: you said Gerbe was their most consistent forward, and I and others disagreed, citing Pommer and Vanek. I think it's hard to disagree with that, but you are free to do so, and to make the case as to why you are right. But don't pretend you said something other than what you actually said.

Calm down, stop yelling, stop spraying a bunch of BS around and hoping that some of it is accurate, and don't claim you said something other than what you originally said when you get called on the original BS.

As far as whether "only a fool would consider" benching Gerbe -- Tortorella, who has won a Cup, benched Avery in the playoffs a couple of years ago for similar behavior, when Avery was the Rangers' most effective forward. (Now, as it turns out, Tortorella was probably wrong to do so, as the Rangers played in a deflated fashion and went on to lose that series to the Caps. But Torts isn't "a fool.")

I didnt spray BS as you say. Gerbe is the most consistent player. He shows up for every shift, thats my definition of consistent. Pommers and Vanek are the most consistent point producers and theres a distinction there.

Benching gerbe would be stupid

This definition seems to fit...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=diarrhea%20of%20the%20mouth

I believe Enroth is better than recent Flyer goalies.

Bobrovsky looked very impressive in the regular season last year (and the first playoff game), but a lot of people seem to forget that. Just because a young goalie starts out well does not mean that they will be this solid consistently. If Enroth is able to play in the playoffs as well or better as Miller did in the last two years, then I'll be incredibly surprised.

And do not nibble on my head.

It makes me uncomfortable that one person finds this okay and the other does not.

Archived