GDT: Buffalo vs. Columbus (10/27/2011, 7:00pm)

Corp000085

I missed this post entirely. Good post, although Gerbe isn't underrated on this board, so that's good.

You took the words out of my mouth. I was just about to post about how he's been good but I think he's received the warranted attention on this board.

To this: I didn't mean on the board per say but I feel like the hockey world in general kinda forgets about him and he gets overshadowed. Just a thought I could be way off here.

Keep your pants on. This statement can't be made until it happens in the playoffs, and certainly can't be supported by a garbage-time goal in October that came a day late and a dollar short, since two minutes earlier had shot wide on a chance to tie the game.

True, but the more I see the more I believe Gerbe is something a little more special. If it does happen come playoff time that will be the true test.

I'll buy this.

Not trying to sell it but Ruff's words made me curious. It seems that he is aware of Weber's stay at home style and is trying to get the offensive production from his def going before he worry's about if the back end is tough enough. Honestly your d-line should get tougher as the season progresses because games start to have more obvious meaning and consequences especially post all-star break. Teams begin to crackdown and toughen up as the playoffs approach (some teams do flame out turn into busts). That's when having a extra tough defender lying around becomes more important... I keep thinking of the carolina series... it haunts me.

the good news is that pommers is practicing faceoffs with goose and so its not that big of a problem...

http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Pominville-likes-face-offs/11304618

From that article,

Pominville has improved his strength which according to Adams, improves your face-offs, “Where he’s improved so much is how strong his stick is. As a guy who didn’t take a lot of draws, sometimes it’s a shock when you realize how heavy the guys sticks are and how strong the centermen are and I give Paul Gaustad a lot of credit on that too because he works with him and he’ll lean on him a little more to get him used to it, but we try to keep it simple, low, get their head in there across the dot as much as you can and the just get that mentality of battling.

I assume this means we'll see fewer instances of Pominville racing to the bench to get a new stick after a glorious scoring opportunity was wasted when his stick snapped in half at the shot.

I assume this means we'll see fewer instances of Pominville racing to the bench to get a new stick after a glorious scoring opportunity was wasted when his stick snapped in half at the shot.

I didn't read that as Pominville literally switching to a stronger stick. I think he's saying "strong stick" like you'd say someone has a "strong shot" - stronger on his stick, not that his stick is stronger.

From that article,

No, he's just gonna break it on the face off now. ;)

I didn't read that as Pominville literally switching to a stronger stick. I think he's saying "strong stick" like you'd say someone has a "strong shot" - stronger on his stick, not that his stick is stronger.

Maybe. Adams mentioned how heavy centermen sticks are and I kind of took it that Pommer is changing that too. I could've read too much into it.

Random thought from the game last night...

Is it just me, or does Luke Adam seem to get tossed from at least half of his faceoffs?

i remember seeing something in an interview where pommer said he takes the faceoffs on the right side because its his stronger side? so he and adam actually split faceoffs.

Nah she pretty much rules.

When she can't watch the games I have to send her updates if anything happens. When the game is on, there is nothing else going on in the house.

Predictably her favorite Sabre is Gerbe, but she knows all the players and makes fun of her girlfriends for having a crush on Stafford. :clapping:

I need to find me one of those.

LOL

Grudgingly. :P

I still think he's a 4th liner and that's his top end. He's proving to be a decent PK'er though.

How can it be his top end if he's delivering well as a 3rd liner at present? The GGK line is clearly the 3rd line now, right? (Leaving alone the fact that it was the #2 line in terms of ice time last night.)

i remember seeing something in an interview where pommer said he takes the faceoffs on the right side because its his stronger side? so he and adam actually split faceoffs.

Last night, Stafford clearly got himself intentionally tossed from a face-off so Roy could take it. Roy was getting tossed in their own zone a lot, so my guess is that Stafford took the chance first so they wouldn't toss a second Sabre on that face-off.

How can it be his top end if he's delivering well as a 3rd liner at present? The GGK line is clearly the 3rd line now, right? (Leaving alone the fact that it was the #2 line in terms of ice time last night.)

I dunno about that. At this point 3rd line/ 4th line is probably semantics. I guess I'll re-word and say energy line is where he's at and where he belongs.

I dunno about that. At this point 3rd line/ 4th line is probably semantics. I guess I'll re-word and say energy line is where he's at and where he belongs.

But isn't "energy line" kinda semantics also? Ultimately what counts is how much ice time you get, innit? Because Lindy gives out the ice time based on what he thinks is most likely to lead to wins? Kaleta had the 6th-most ice time among forwards last night.

I'm probably belaboring the point, but I guess what I'm driving at is that Kaleta is, at least potentially, a valuable part of the team despite not realistically having 40-point potential -- not just another 4th-line banger.

But isn't "energy line" kinda semantics also? Ultimately what counts is how much ice time you get, innit? Because Lindy gives out the ice time based on what he thinks is most likely to lead to wins? Kaleta had the 6th-most ice time among forwards last night.

I'm probably belaboring the point, but I guess what I'm driving at is that Kaleta is, at least potentially, a valuable part of the team despite not realistically having 40-point potential -- not just another 4th-line banger.

Labor away. I've got my work for the week wrapped up. :D

We're not as far apart as you think. Under this season's system it appears that line 2 = line 3 = line 4 anyway. And I think he is a valuable part of the team. As a 4th line banger. You can be a 4th line banger and be a valuable part of the team. Heck, you can be a valuable 4th line banger playing on the 3rd line too it seems. :P

Seems like we have an obvious #1 line, a #2 line that isn't getting #2 time because they aren't producing enough points, a #3 line featuring a young scorer with a Napoleon complex and two bangers on it, and a #4 line with a #2 winger on it. And who knows how it further mixes up when Hecht returns.

It's working regardless of the labels.

Seems like we have an obvious #1 line, a #2 line that isn't getting #2 time because they aren't producing enough points, a #3 line featuring a young scorer with a Napoleon complex and two bangers on it, and a #4 line with a #2 winger on it. And who knows how it further mixes up when Hecht returns.

You guys speak in code !@?@#!>?@#

Last night, Stafford clearly got himself intentionally tossed from a face-off so Roy could take it. Roy was getting tossed in their own zone a lot, so my guess is that Stafford took the chance first so they wouldn't toss a second Sabre on that face-off.

If that's true, I approve of the game within the game. I wondered why Stafford got replaced by Roy.. Didn't think much of it at the time, but I remember being surprised Roy wasn't in there to start with.

Labor away. I've got my work for the week wrapped up. :D

We're not as far apart as you think. Under this season's system it appears that line 2 = line 3 = line 4 anyway. And I think he is a valuable part of the team. As a 4th line banger. You can be a 4th line banger and be a valuable part of the team. Heck, you can be a valuable 4th line banger playing on the 3rd line too it seems. :P

It's working regardless of the labels.

Can I get in on this? I put Kaleta in the Chris Neil mold. Neil is bigger but Kaleta is quicker. Both serve similar roles. I'd take Kaleta every time over Neil, particularly at this stage of their careers. Kaleta is a really solid, underrated PKer. No way I consider him a fourth line banger.

Nah she pretty much rules.

When she can't watch the games I have to send her updates if anything happens. When the game is on, there is nothing else going on in the house.

Predictably her favorite Sabre is Gerbe, but she knows all the players and makes fun of her girlfriends for having a crush on Stafford. :clapping:

My mom's favorite Sabre is Gerbe. I'm not sure that my girlfriend has a favorite Sabre, but she did hate Connolly when he was around... She's a keeper :D

I like the smarter, cleaner Kaleta myself and maybe he can play more games this way........... :beer:

IDK.. seems to me he hits the wall alot and not players. He still plays like Crash Bandicoot to me. The more amazing thing to me is that his PK is the strength of his current game.

Can I get in on this? I put Kaleta in the Chris Neil mold. Neil is bigger but Kaleta is quicker. Both serve similar roles. I'd take Kaleta every time over Neil, particularly at this stage of their careers. Kaleta is a really solid, underrated PKer. No way I consider him a fourth line banger.

I think Neil with PK responsibility is about right for comparison too. But Neil has been predominantly a banger most of his career on checking lines.

IDK.. seems to me he hits the wall alot and not players. He still plays like Crash Bandicoot to me. The more amazing thing to me is that his PK is the strength of his current game.

He seems to wake up the entire arena doing this, so good on him........ :beer:

Archived