GDT: Buffalo vs. Columbus (10/27/2011, 7:00pm)

Corp000085

I was in row 2 of section 104 and boy do we need to get rid of leino. During the tv timeouts, Roy, staff, and Myers are talking about the game. Leino is over in the corner with his head down like a bum and not communicating with his teammates. Oh and on that same shift he forced a pass over to ehrhoff for Columbus to get on the scoreboard. Nuff said.

Have you ever paid attention to the hundreds of bench shots they show during a game? There are always guys(including the ones you mentioned) sitting there like they are in a trance. His play has left a lot to be desired, but how he conducts himself on the bench shouldn't be the reason to criticize him.

i am feeling 5-2, with the summertime line (42-28-36) generating 5 points amongst themselves.
Summertime line?

i don't expect the name to stick, but that's what i called them, check it: the boys of summer.

and if gerbe had managed to get an assist to his linemate with the empty net, my prediction would have been almost 100% on the money. :w00t:

Right in front of Brad Boyes who did nothing. :thumbdown:
No, he did nothing when his captain was crosschecked from behind 10 feet in front of him.

i didn't like that either. but it wasn't a big deal, IMO. not sure if we get columbus again this year -- always possible that one was filed away by 24, 28, or 36.

It wasn't much of a crosscheck at all. And wasn't it inside of the last 5 minutes? That's an automatic 1 game. I'd rather Boyes kept his head in that scenario.
I think you're asking alot of a finesse guy.

lydman has a somewhat different take on boyes' ability to get a little rough and tumble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4irYCE0KlyM

I went as well and wow, was that place dead again. I wonder how we can change this because there has been zero energy at home. Maybe it will take an OT win against Totonto to wake up the building....

yeah - not great. but it is october. and it was a thursday against columbus.

I was in row 2 of section 104 and boy do we need to get rid of leino. During the tv timeouts, Roy, staff, and Myers are talking about the game. Leino is over in the corner with his head down like a bum and not communicating with his teammates. Oh and on that same shift he forced a pass over to ehrhoff for Columbus to get on the scoreboard. Nuff said.

So you didn't sell off your tickets after that TB loss?! I thought you were....

My 2 cents:

1. Enroth needs to play 1 game out of every 4. I don't want to hear anything about how there are 2 days off between games, or how Miller didn't have to work hard in a certain game, or any other reason. Move around his start as needed so he plays one out of the back-to-backs, but it needs to be 1 out of 4. Is there any doubt that Miller is going to come out raring to go tomorrow night?

2. Roy seemed to have more jump last night, but Stafford and Leino are still MIA. Stafford had one nice strong take to the net but I still saw him passing up shots a couple of times in favor of tricky passes. He needs to do what Boyes did on his goal -- get that puck to the net, even if it's not a perfect shooting opportunity.

3. Very nice game out of the top line and out of GGK. Gerbe's hustle and intensity are effective but he needs to improve the finish a bit if he wants to put up 25 goals.

4. If loving Regehr is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

5. Sekera is stepping up his play. He had 3 minor penalties last night and still played over 21 minutes.

6. Myers will make some lousy passes and get burnt at the offensive blue line at times but is still very stout in the defensive zone at other times. It seems like he and Regehr get the toughest minutes. It's a difficult assignment for a guy who is still a very young hockey player and young athlete. I think he'll attain stardom eventually but it's probably not fair to expect too much too soon.

7. I'll say it again: Kaleta is a good hockey player and adds value to this team that no one else does.

8. 2 pretty good scraps between Kaleta and Bass and McCormick and Bass.

9. MAG was at fault on the 1st Columbus goal. I thought Enroth had a terrific game but made the wrong decision on the pokecheck attempt on the 2nd Columbus goal.

Overall, a nice win against a team that I thought played pretty well despite their record.

Vanek looked awesome and Adam is alway around the puck, very noticeable out there. I did see some rookie mistakes from him but man I am super impressed with this kid. He wasnt even projected to make the team and now he looks like a real first line center that just needs some seasoning he is gonna be scary in a year or two.

Oh and on that same shift he forced a pass over to ehrhoff for Columbus to get on the scoreboard. Nuff said.

factually inaccurate. it was ehrhoff as a trailer who tried to feed leino on the left wing, had that pass blocked, and the play went the other way in the midst of a bad change by buffalo.

I went as well and wow, was that place dead again. I wonder how we can change this because there has been zero energy at home. Maybe it will take an OT win against Totonto to wake up the building....

I was there too. FNC was quiet. I was actually told to sit down during the Mccormick fight. I tried to bring some energy, but I felt like I was attending a wake.

Honest question for you guys:

Is it proper fan etiquette to stand up during a fight? Was I that out of line? It seemed to make the people around me angry. My thought, if you want to sit down during the exciting parts of a hockey game, than stay home on your couch. I am honestly looking for feedback here.

I was there too. FNC was quiet. I was actually told to sit down during the Mccormick fight. I tried to bring some energy, but I felt like I was attending a wake.

Is it proper fan etiquette to stand up during a fight? Was I that out of line? It seemed to make the people around me angry. My thought, if you want to sit down during the exciting parts of a hockey game, than stay home on your couch. I am honestly looking for feedback here.

I would've stood up! I'm used to being at an RIT hockey game where sitting with the corner crew entails standing the entire game and actually being loud. I've tried to bring some stuff to the F'N Center, such as the counting chant (worked last year at afew games, had some people in other sections counting the goals with us), but most of the time, people are just quiet...sad because Buffalo used to be notorious for being a tough LOUD arena <_<

I would've stood up! I'm used to being at an RIT hockey game where sitting with the corner crew entails standing the entire game and actually being loud. I've tried to bring some stuff to the F'N Center, such as the counting chant (worked last year at afew games, had some people in other sections counting the goals with us), but most of the time, people are just quiet...sad because Buffalo used to be notorious for being a tough LOUD arena <_<

I used to hate the idea, but now I am leaning towards wanting a "Family" or "Alcohol Free" section. Only now, because I want to get those people away from me. If we put the rowdy fans together, and filter out the boring fans to a different part of the arena, I think you would hear a lot more noise at the game.

My 2 cents:

1. Enroth needs to play 1 game out of every 4. I don't want to hear anything about how there are 2 days off between games, or how Miller didn't have to work hard in a certain game, or any other reason. Move around his start as needed so he plays one out of the back-to-backs, but it needs to be 1 out of 4. Is there any doubt that Miller is going to come out raring to go tomorrow night?

2. Roy seemed to have more jump last night, but Stafford and Leino are still MIA. Stafford had one nice strong take to the net but I still saw him passing up shots a couple of times in favor of tricky passes. He needs to do what Boyes did on his goal -- get that puck to the net, even if it's not a perfect shooting opportunity.

3. Very nice game out of the top line and out of GGK. Gerbe's hustle and intensity are effective but he needs to improve the finish a bit if he wants to put up 25 goals.

4. If loving Regehr is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

5. Sekera is stepping up his play. He had 3 minor penalties last night and still played over 21 minutes.

6. Myers will make some lousy passes and get burnt at the offensive blue line at times but is still very stout in the defensive zone at other times. It seems like he and Regehr get the toughest minutes. It's a difficult assignment for a guy who is still a very young hockey player and young athlete. I think he'll attain stardom eventually but it's probably not fair to expect too much too soon.

7. I'll say it again: Kaleta is a good hockey player and adds value to this team that no one else does.

8. 2 pretty good scraps between Kaleta and Bass and McCormick and Bass.

9. MAG was at fault on the 1st Columbus goal. I thought Enroth had a terrific game but made the wrong decision on the pokecheck attempt on the 2nd Columbus goal.

Overall, a nice win against a team that I thought played pretty well despite their record.

Thanks for typing my post for me/couldn't have said it better. Particularly with #4.

Sekera's boarding penalty was a tough call. Think his play has been very solid this year.

I used to hate the idea, but now I am leaning towards wanting a "Family" or "Alcohol Free" section. Only now, because I want to get those people away from me. If we put the rowdy fans together, and filter out the boring fans to a different part of the arena, I think you would hear a lot more noise at the game.

+1 I totally agree. I hate how dead it is in the arena. During the Carolina game, my section was actually fun and loud, and even the little kid in front of me was yelling "YOU SUCK CANES!" but otherwise, it's never as loud as it could be!

I don't recall them on a line together consistently in the past, although I'm not very confident in my own memory. Seems like they have "it" together and I wonder why it hasn't come out in the past. They could make Andrew Peters look seasoned they way they're playing together these days.

and they ARE targeting people. I

I babble. Anyway, yeah, Kaleta may surprise people with how long he lasts in the NHL. So long as the other NHL players don't take him out too soon.

IMO That line never had a true one center .(outside of the Briere,Drury era) Had one been on that line for the last three years Vanek would have put up 40+ in each amd Pom's numbers would go through the roof.

Looked to me like there was an old issue being settled with Prospal last night.He was on the deck more than a few times

I'm pretty much anti-fighting across the board. But so long as the NHL allows it, seems standing would be the norm anywhere in the league and always used to be in Buffalo.

Thanks for typing my post for me/couldn't have said it better. Particularly with #4.

Sekera's boarding penalty was a tough call. Think his play has been very solid this year.

Thank you sir. As for the boarding penalty, I thought it was a reasonable call. He hit the guy square in the numbers on the back of the jersey. I don't think it was suspension-worthy, but I didn't have a problem with the minor penalty. I'd want the Sabres to get a PP in that situation if the roles were reversed.

+1 I totally agree. I hate how dead it is in the arena. During the Carolina game, my section was actually fun and loud, and even the little kid in front of me was yelling "YOU SUCK CANES!" but otherwise, it's never as loud as it could be!

we need more Germans

you absolutely stand for a fight. if people around you don't stand, shame on them. if they then complain that you are standing, that's even worse.

the key to championing this cause, i think, is that you have to keep a level head with them if you respond -- don't get exercised about it. stand for the fight, and when it's over, and you sit down, you just calmly turn to them and say, "hey, i learned as a kid that you stand up for goals and fights." if the person has a problem with it, they can call the usher. is the usher going to tell you to remain seated during a fight? i'm thinking not.

fwiw, the buffalo news's music critic wrote a piece this summer about how concerts have become similarly wussified -- that he's being told to sit down at shows where, days gone by, you stood up or, if you didn't, you didn't complain when others did.

same for me when i went to see u2 at the arena last time they were here. we had front row balcony seats and stood up as the opening number started. the people behind us started b!tching loudly. i could not believe what i was hearing. i just yelled "it's a rock concert, not a school play -- if you have a problem with it, go talk to an usher."

you absolutely stand for a fight. if people around you don't stand, shame on them. if they then complain that you are standing, that's even worse.

the key to championing this cause, i think, is that you have to keep a level head with them if you respond -- don't get exercised about it. stand for the fight, and when it's over, and you sit down, you just calmly turn to them and say, "hey, i learned as a kid that you stand up for goals and fights." if the person has a problem with it, they can call the usher. is the usher going to tell you to remain seated during a fight? i'm thinking not.

fwiw, the buffalo news's music critic wrote a piece this summer about how concerts have become similarly wussified -- that he's being told to sit down at shows where, days gone by, you stood up or, if you didn't, you didn't complain when others did.

same for me when i went to see u2 at the arena last time they were here. we had front row balcony seats and stood up as the opening number started. the people behind us started b!tching loudly. i could not believe what i was hearing. i just yelled "it's a rock concert, not a school play -- if you have a problem with it, go talk to an usher."

That is completely unacceptable. How can you sit for a U2 concert?

I was pretty level headed about the whole thing, but I definitely threw my verbal jabs in.

I had the Jackets feed on CI and the announcers mentioned how times have changed in Buffalo and they have sold out the building for he most part over the past five years. But then went on to say you couldn't really tell and it was a tame, quiet crowd tonight. Pretty sad when the Jackets announcers are noticing the crowd volume. Please, if you go to the game, MAKE SOME NOISE! I'm not saying to be obnoxious, nobody wants that, but you can cheer and get excited without going too far. Someone actually asked if you should stand during a hockey fight? Who are we, Phoenix Coyotes fans?!

Thank you sir. As for the boarding penalty, I thought it was a reasonable call. He hit the guy square in the numbers on the back of the jersey. I don't think it was suspension-worthy, but I didn't have a problem with the minor penalty. I'd want the Sabres to get a PP in that situation if the roles were reversed.

Wasn't shocked by the call but thought the Blue Jacket turned his back knowing Sekera was bearing down on him resulting in the hit. I thought the cross-check on Pommer after the goal was just as worthy of a call if not moreso.

I had the Jackets feed on CI and the announcers mentioned how times have changed in Buffalo and they have sold out the building for he most part over the past five years. But then went on to say you couldn't really tell and it was a tame, quiet crowd tonight. Pretty sad when the Jackets announcers are noticing the crowd volume. Please, if you go to the game, MAKE SOME NOISE! I'm not saying to be obnoxious, nobody wants that, but you can cheer and get excited without going too far. Someone actually asked if you should stand during a hockey fight? Who are we, Phoenix Coyotes fans?!

I'm going Saturday with my cousin, and believe me, we'll be loud. We'll be in section 112.

I'm pretty much anti-fighting across the board. But so long as the NHL allows it, seems standing would be the norm anywhere in the league and always used to be in Buffalo.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, I was really bothered by someone actually asking me to sit down. My question was mostly tongue in cheek, but there was some sincerity in there.

Buffalo is a hockey town. This isn't Phoenix, Dallas, or even Sunrise. We have one of the most loyal fan bases in the NHL. We pack the arena night in, and night out. There is no reason why we can't blow the roof off FNC night in and night out. I also ask all of you.... PLEASE MAKE SOME NOISE. Let's be the 7th man that this team needs. Sorry for my rant, but the passive crowd almost ruined an otherwise nice evening.

It is eerily quiet in Buffalo and seemingly has been since the Briere/Drury days. But I can't criticize the 18k that go since I am sitting on a sofa watching instead of coughing up the cash to attend.

Archived