Wade Redden...can you blame him?

LabattBlue

He has 3 more years on his contract with the Rangers(6.5, 5.0 & 5.0). They buried him in Hartford last year, and this year didn't even invite him to training camp.

If he refuses an assignment to Hartford for this season, the Rangers would void his contract. At this point in his career(just turned 34), I don't know how much of an NHL career he has left. Therefore, why not live in a nice part of Connecticut and collect 17.5 mil over the next 3 years.

He has 3 more years on his contract with the Rangers(6.5, 5.0 & 5.0). They buried him in Hartford last year, and this year didn't even invite him to training camp.

If he refuses an assignment to Hartford for this season, the Rangers would void his contract. At this point in his career(just turned 34), I don't know how much of an NHL career he has left. Therefore, why not live in a nice part of Connecticut and collect 17.5 mil over the next 3 years.

You'd think he'd be able to put up a good fight if they did try to void his deal. They're not exactly honoring the contract themselves.

I'd collect the money and play at a lower level. Pride is one thing. Supporting your family is another. And, if I'm getting paid $17.5 million over the next 3 years, I'm more than happy to swallow my pride and play hockey at a lower level league.

He does not deserve to be there, but it's not his fault the Rangers signed him to a ridiculous contract and no one is willing to trade for that salary. The nice thing for the Rangers to do would be to waive him and put him on re-entry so that someone will pick him up for half his salary. But, it's not his fault.

There's also a transfer option to a European League if I am not mistaken where he can be loaned out, but I don't know the salary details associated with that and if he still gets paid his full NHL salary. Some of the CBA experts might want to chime in on that.

I'd collect the money and play at a lower level. Pride is one thing. Supporting your family is another. And, if I'm getting paid $17.5 million over the next 3 years, I'm more than happy to swallow my pride and play hockey at a lower level league.

Ahh yes, the Latrell Sprewell defense. I realize what you're saying, but he's made more than enough money over his career. His family's taken care of.

Ahh yes, the Latrell Sprewell defense. I realize what you're saying, but he's made more than enough money over his career. His family's taken care of.

Look, if you can play and someone's paying you that kind of money to play, why wouldn't you take it? If I got paid $17.5 million to do anything, I'd be willing to swallow my pride and do it. And, frankly, this isn't that humiliating. I mean Sheldon Souray was able to sign another NHL contract that was not two way. I'd investigate the loan option to a European team if they don't let him play in the NHL.

I have no idea how Redden has managed his money, and I don't care enough to look into what his past contracts have paid him, but my suspicion is Redden doesn't have to play if he really doesn't want to. He's balancing pride against being somewhere he probably shouldn't be and collecting a really big paycheck that I am sure that he wants to collect even if he's gotten paid enough in the past to be comfortable. He's riding a bus to games, not seeing his family much, working with kids he probably doesn't relate to well. I would imagine his motivation right now is revenge related, ie. if they are going to stick me here I'm not going to give them what they want and quit.

Damn, I wish I could be in his shoes. :P

While I can understand what he must be feeling, it's hard to feel sorry for a guy collecting that kind of change to play a game, isn't it?

I have no idea how Redden has managed his money, and I don't care enough to look into what his past contracts have paid him, but my suspicion is Redden doesn't have to play if he really doesn't want to. He's balancing pride against being somewhere he probably shouldn't be and collecting a really big paycheck that I am sure that he wants to collect even if he's gotten paid enough in the past to be comfortable. He's riding a bus to games, not seeing his family much, working with kids he probably doesn't relate to well. I would imagine his motivation right now is revenge related, ie. if they are going to stick me here I'm not going to give them what they want and quit.

While I can understand what he must be feeling, it's hard to feel sorry for a guy collecting that kind of change to play a game, isn't it?

ALL of them play a game and make stupid amounts of coin. Even our beloved boys in blue & gold

i guess the key is, if he gets out of his contract with the Rangers, are there other teams out there will to give him a multi year deal to play at the NHL level for slightly less then what he is getting now? I'm sure he would rather be playing for an NHL team right now then in the minors, and if someone is willing to give him say $12 mil for 3 years, its probably better then the $17 over the next 3 riding a bus. Although with his coin, he could just buy a better transportation to and from games for his team and still be very comfortable financially

ALL of them play a game and make stupid amounts of coin. Even our beloved boys in blue & gold

While they do make a ton of coin, there are surely some warts involved. Not enough to overcome the good things, but there are some. Like:

• Working nights, in addition to practice, meetings, and weight training during the day
  • Lots of travel
  • High-stress atomsphere
  • Few weekends for 8 months (granted the summer off compensates)
  • Knowing that an injury could end your career each time you go to work

I think people tend to gloss over those things. It's not like these guys show up at 6:45 each game night and go play for a few hours. It's a full-time, likely 7-day-a-week job for 8 months (or more).

While they do make a ton of coin, there are surely some warts involved. Not enough to overcome the good things, but there are some. Like:

• Working nights, in addition to practice, meetings, and weight training during the day
  • Lots of travel
  • High-stress atomsphere
  • Few weekends for 8 months (granted the summer off compensates)
  • Knowing that an injury could end your career each time you go to work

I think people tend to gloss over those things. It's not like these guys show up at 6:45 each game night and go play for a few hours. It's a full-time, likely 7-day-a-week job for 8 months (or more).

I would take those warts and then some for the chance to be able to make millions and play a game I love for a living. Those warts aren't like they are much worse then the ones most of us face at our current jobs making a fraction of what the players make

That's not exactly true. NHLers make stupid amounts of coin. AHLers do not make the same ridiculous amount of coin (those on entry level and two way contracts, not one-way NHL contracts). In fact, most people I work with and know generally make more money or about the same amount of money as most AHL players that are on entry level or two way contracts. So, I would not say they make ridiculous amount of coin, but a decent living that is middle to upper-middle class income. It's only once they make the NHL or get a 1 way contract do they start making stupid amounts of coin. In fact, I'm pretty sure most working people on this message board make more money than ECHL players. Career ECHL and AHL players really are playing for the love of the game, not the money because they really don't make a lot of money. And, it is for that reason Wade Redden shouldn't care where he plays so long as he still loves the game and enjoys competing and receiving that ridiculous pay check.

Probably not, they don't make as much and we think they suck

The salient points are the same: they'll both be making 7 figures to play in the minors; in Shaone's case, there may be NHL teams interested in him at a lower salary. And I'm pretty sure that the Rangers fans think Redden sucks.

I'd say you pretty much nailed it with the family stuff. That's the big question in all of this. Is he getting the time with them that he wants? As long as he has lived his life in an even remotely intelligent way, the money should not be an issue.

It seems like he is being punished by the Rangers for their own stupidity. They gave him that contract, the least they could do is try to waive him, as a SF526 said.

If it was possible, I am sure he would take less money to be in the NHL. I remember he offered to stay with the Senators for less money to have a more competitive team. The Senators had to choose between Chara and Redden - if they had kept Chara, its quite possible the Bruins wouldnt have the Cup right now.

At any rate, he is a big boy. He can decide what he wants to do. Personally, I would love to be playing hockey for that amount of money, on any level. If he really wanted to, he could just play like ultimate crap for Hartford and get benched and still collect his cash.

He could also try to get the contract voided, and hope to join a Cup contender for cheap. I would surmise this would be more along the lines of what he might want, since he has never won it. Its not like the guy doesnt have skills or value, he was an All Star a few times and was alternate captain for the Sens for something like 10 years.

That's not exactly true. NHLers make stupid amounts of coin. AHLers do not make the same ridiculous amount of coin (those on entry level and two way contracts, not one-way NHL contracts). In fact, most people I work with and know generally make more money or about the same amount of money as most AHL players that are on entry level or two way contracts. So, I would not say they make ridiculous amount of coin, but a decent living that is middle to upper-middle class income. It's only once they make the NHL or get a 1 way contract do they start making stupid amounts of coin. In fact, I'm pretty sure most working people on this message board make more money than ECHL players. Career ECHL and AHL players really are playing for the love of the game, not the money because they really don't make a lot of money. And, it is for that reason Wade Redden shouldn't care where he plays so long as he still loves the game and enjoys competing and receiving that ridiculous pay check.

you should be glad ... seeing as how your are upper middle class... you & you co workers rejoice... enjoy your lives in an "affluent" burb

They do have to waive him in order to send him to the AHL.

True, but with the new salary caps and such, maybe a team out there would want him for half the salary now?

If they call him back up now, he goes through waivers again, correct? And again going back down? I am not too familiar with those processes...

you should be glad ... seeing as how your are upper middle class... you & you co workers rejoice... enjoy your lives in an "affluent" burb

Wow. Not exactly sure where that came from.

The average AHL Salary for a player on an entry level or two way deal is about $75,000. I don't consider that to be stupid coin, do you?

The average ECHL Salary for a player is between $20k-$40K. Do you think that's stupid coin?

Also, I don't believe I was rubbing anything in anyone's face with my comment. I was merely making a factual statement. People who are not playing at the NHL level do not make as much money as you seem to think. I'm not sure what you are getting at or if my classification for lifestyles is incorrect. I'm not sure what you are interpreting from my post, but I never meant to imply that I am better than anyone else, simply stating a fact that non-NHL hockey players don't make a lot of money.

True, but with the new salary caps and such, maybe a team out there would want him for half the salary now?

If they call him back up now, he goes through waivers again, correct? And again going back down? I am not too familiar with those processes...

They have to place him on the initial waivers at the start of each season to send him down. At that point, any claimer takes on the entire salary. To call him up, yes, he has to go on re-entry waivers (they can also do this at any point without actually calling him up). That's where the half price thing comes in. But then again, if that happens, the Rags have to eat half that cap hit, something that is very tough with their current cap situation.

And as for going back down, he would be exempt from waivers until he played in 10 games. After that, he would again have to clear (here again, any claimer would take on the whole salary).

Wow. Not exactly sure where that came from.

The average AHL Salary for a player on an entry level or two way deal is about $75,000. I don't consider that to be stupid coin, do you?

The average ECHL Salary for a player is between $20k-$40K. Do you think that's stupid coin?

Also, I don't believe I was rubbing anything in anyone's face with my comment. I was merely making a factual statement. People who are not playing at the NHL level do not make as much money as you seem to think. I'm not sure what you are getting at or if my classification for lifestyles is incorrect. I'm not sure what you are interpreting from my post, but I never meant to imply that I am better than anyone else, simply stating a fact that non-NHL hockey players don't make a lot of money.

I have to assume he was attempting to make the point that there are lots of people (myself included) who would be thrilled to make $75K for a job we don't even like, nevermind for playing a game that we love. However, that point could have been made in a much less obnoxious fashion considering your post was just trying to say that AHL players aren't paid nearly as well as NHL players.

Although with his coin, he could just buy a better transportation to and from games for his team and still be very comfortable financially

I don't care about Wade Redden and certainly dont feel sorry for his lot in life. I certainly dont feel sorry for the Rags either.

Now if I'm Redden I'm playing and the rest of the stuff I'll deal with. I remember when Michael Jordan went to play AA baseball and put the team on some classy busses instead of the crap they were used to. He could easily do that and make life more comfortable.

I would go and get dropped off in a Limo to practice everyday..Charter my own plane to games and have it painted "Thank you Rangers"..Id laff all the way to the bank...Of course that would be stupid blowin all that cash but it sure would be fun....

Archived