Rookie tournament in Traverse City...

LabattBlue

My favorite prospect Foligno played a great game.

Nice goal by Catenacci, but he seems to fall down a lot.

Still liking the play of Bourques son.

It's an abomination that no one has mentioned how well Corey Tropp played. Nice goal, alright fight, and excellent hits and hustle.

While "abomination" may be a bit strong, I too noticed Tropp playing well, as well as his center Phil Varone (their other winger was mostly Boychuk -- I didn't see much from him). That seemed like the Sabres' #2 line last night.

I generally agree with the posts above regarding the Sabres' top line -- very impressive. Adam was the best player on the ice and was borderline dominant in the offensive zone (although he also coughed it up a couple of times in the defensive zone). He should get a fair amount of time in Buffalo this year. Kassian and Foligno both looked good too. I can definitely see the 3 of them playing together in Buffalo in a couple of years.

Catenacci definitely has the wheels we've heard about, although there seems to be a bit of Mad Max in his game.

On the D, I liked what I saw out of Biega in particular, with some nice moments from McNabb (who was called, I thought undeservedly, for a penalty on a big hit in the 1st period), Pysyck and McKenzie. Nick Crawford had a lousy game.

Overall, the game was enjoyable and definitely whetted my appetite for hockey season. The Sabres have a bunch of good prospects in their system.

I thought Tropp looked every bit as good as Foligno and Kassian last night.

I thought Tropp looked better than Kassian. Kassian seemed disinterested. Skated well, in pretty good position for the most part, just not the same level of intensity as Adam or Foligno or Tropp or most of the rest of the team. I was disappointed to see it.

Due to the size of the facility, camera angles sucked, and it was hard to read names on jerseys. That bothered me.

Biega looked pretty good playing the point on the PP.

McNabb lined a guy up in the opening minutes, received what I thought was a bad penalty, and was pretty quiet the rest of the night.

The Sabres' emphasis on drafting size in recent years was on full display last night. Our team was much, much bigger than the rags squad. The rags looked like they were running a little scared.

While "abomination" may be a bit strong, I too noticed Tropp playing well, as well as his center Phil Varone (their other winger was mostly Boychuk -- I didn't see much from him). That seemed like the Sabres' #2 line last night.

I generally agree with the posts above regarding the Sabres' top line -- very impressive. Adam was the best player on the ice and was borderline dominant in the offensive zone (although he also coughed it up a couple of times in the defensive zone). He should get a fair amount of time in Buffalo this year. Kassian and Foligno both looked good too. I can definitely see the 3 of them playing together in Buffalo in a couple of years.

Catenacci definitely has the wheels we've heard about, although there seems to be a bit of Mad Max in his game.

On the D, I liked what I saw out of Biega in particular, with some nice moments from McNabb (who was called, I thought undeservedly, for a penalty on a big hit in the 1st period), Pysyck and McKenzie. Nick Crawford had a lousy game.

Overall, the game was enjoyable and definitely whetted my appetite for hockey season. The Sabres have a bunch of good prospects in their system.

I hate when I am writing a post and at the same time someone else makes a post saying a lot of the same things I am saying.

Nice post.

Also -- did anyone notice what one of the Rangers' TV guys said about Mike Foligno (I think it was after Marcus scored in the 3rd period)? He said that he played with Foligno in Buffalo, and while he was a good guy, he played "all over the map" and it used to drive Scotty Bowman crazy. Pretty funny/interesting, I thought.

What a breath of fresh air Rolston is. And what a contrast he is to those locker room speeches by that coach on the Rangers they showed on MSG. The Rangers coach seemed desperate and the guys in their locker room seemed listless between the 1-2 and 2-3. It was only when he finished his rants that they all applauded. And when they showed the Rangers' coach near the end in the third, boy was he fuming!

He said that he played with Foligno in Buffalo, and while he was a good guy, he played "all over the map" and it used to drive Scotty Bowman crazy. Pretty funny/interesting, I thought.

I heard him say that, but he didn't elaborate as to what he meant. Did not play disciplined and instead just freelanced all over the ice?

I thought Tropp looked better than Kassian. Kassian seemed disinterested. Skated well, in pretty good position for the most part, just not the same level of intensity as Adam or Foligno or Tropp or most of the rest of the team. I was disappointed to see it.

Due to the size of the facility, camera angles sucked, and it was hard to read names on jerseys. That bothered me.

Biega looked pretty good playing the point on the PP.

McNabb lined a guy up in the opening minutes, received what I thought was a bad penalty, and was pretty quiet the rest of the night.

The Sabres' emphasis on drafting size in recent years was on full display last night. Our team was much, much bigger than the rags squad. The rags looked like they were running a little scared.

I hate when I am writing a post and at the same time someone else makes a post saying a lot of the same things I am saying.

Nice post.

Thanks -- as was yours. I will say though that I thought from about halfway through the 1st period through the end of the 2nd period, the game was very even. The Sabres had the size advantage, but the Rangers had a ton of speed. Both teams looked pretty well-coached.

As for Kassian, while he didn't show as much as his linemates, he made a great play to set up a goal in the first period, and he should get some shared credit for his line generally dominating play on the forecheck.

What a breath of fresh air Rolston is. And what a contrast he is to those locker room speeches by that coach on the Rangers they showed on MSG. The Rangers coach seemed desperate and the guys in their locker room seemed listless between the 1-2 and 2-3. It was only when he finished his rants that they all applauded. And when they showed the Rangers' coach near the end in the third, boy was he fuming!

They certainly looked well-coached last night. The TV guys commented on that a number of times.

I heard him say that, but he didn't elaborate as to what he meant. Did not play disciplined and instead just freelanced all over the ice?

I assumed that's what he meant.

While I do tend to feel Luke Adam will make the "big" team this season, I would rather let him mature and play in Rochester with Foligno and Kassian, and bring all three up next season as a line. They are absolutely awesome together, and have great chemistry. That line can do everything, and will be dominant for many years to come. I also would like to praise all the prospects, because the Sabres definately have a ton of good ones! Makes you wonder where they'll play them all in years to come...

While I do tend to feel Luke Adam will make the "big" team this season, I would rather let him mature and play in Rochester with Foligno and Kassian, and bring all three up next season as a line. They are absolutely awesome together, and have great chemistry. That line can do everything, and will be dominant for many years to come. I also would like to praise all the prospects, because the Sabres definately have a ton of good ones! Makes you wonder where they'll play them all in years to come...

Agreed 100%. But I think Adam will do only spot duty in Buffalo this year.

I've read a lot of posters wanting the XXL line (just made that up) to play together in the bigs. While that seems quaint and fun to think about, it puts nearly all of the size drafted recently (on the front end) on one line. I really want to see them sprinkled throughout the line up, so guys like Vanek, Ennis, etc can do what they do best and let the big guys do the dirty work.

I was at work last night during the game and found it extremely difficult to find any update on this game as it was being played.

This thread was the only place.

The NHL certainly dropped another fantastic opportunity to broadcast, inform and promote this great mini-tournament to the die-hards and new fans.

Too bad this league continues to drop the ball on things like this.

I personally don't care much for Bettman.

The failed push to sell the game in the big US markets was due primarily to the league's incompetence.

If all of the games are broadcast in HD, the sport sells itself.

If you don't neglect the disrespect shown between the players, maybe #87 doesn't miss this huge portion of his career, if he plays again. Love him or hate him, this league needs guys like Crosby.

There are hockey fans transplanted everywhere, if they are smart, big warm-weather markets can sustain NHL franchises.

Making a push to establish the NHL into the big north american markets was, and still is, NO reason to neglect the die-hard fans in Winnipeg, Quebec and the Golden Horseshoe.

The latter of which, I strongly feel, could support a team in Hamilton as well as a second team in or around TO.

Just ranting

Hey, with all that bitching, this team seems it can do no wrong.

I mean the only things I guess to crab about is not having an established top-six centerman or overpaying Erhoff.

They really are doing the right things.

Assembling the top defensemen corp in the league.

Doing the right thing and purchasing/ re-affiliating with the Amerks.

And, continuing to draft and develop excellent talent.

These three guys certainly make it interesting to look to the future.

The road trip to Rochester might be a more frequent thing.

Its going to be a great season.

I've read a lot of posters wanting the XXL line (just made that up) to play together in the bigs. While that seems quaint and fun to think about, it puts nearly all of the size drafted recently (on the front end) on one line. I really want to see them sprinkled throughout the line up, so guys like Vanek, Ennis, etc can do what they do best and let the big guys do the dirty work.

I thought you would name them the KAF line.

I was at work last night during the game and found it extremely difficult to find any update on this game as it was being played.

The NHL certainly dropped another fantastic opportunity to broadcast, inform and promote this great mini-tournament to the die-hards and new fans.

The failed push to sell the game in the big US markets was due primarily to the league's incompetence.

If you don't neglect the disrespect shown between the players, maybe #87 doesn't miss this huge portion of his career, if he plays again. Love him or hate him, this league needs guys like Crosby.

There are hockey fans transplanted everywhere, if they are smart, big warm-weather markets can sustain NHL franchises.

Making a push to establish the NHL into the big north american markets was, and still is, NO reason to neglect the die-hard fans in Winnipeg, Quebec and the Golden Horseshoe.

The latter of which, I strongly feel, could support a team in Hamilton as well as a second team in or around TO.

Just ranting

Huh?

The game was on the NHL network.

Which big US markets are being neglected?

All of the games are broadcast in HD.

As for the Winnepeg, Quebec, Hamilton, etc. -- how many teams do you want the NHL to have?

My favorite prospect Foligno played a great game.

Nice goal by Catenacci, but he seems to fall down a lot.

Still liking the play of Bourques son.

It's an abomination that no one has mentioned how well Corey Tropp played. Nice goal, alright fight, and excellent hits and hustle.

Abomination? It's hard enough following the numbers :lol:

I would add that Brayden Mcnabb plays a Tres McNasty game. He's just nasty. :lol:

Just ranting

Even the majority of diehard Sabres fans are not going to have much interest in this tournament, let alone new fans to the game. I bet I could walk up to 50 STH and ask them to name 5 Sabres prospects who have never played with the big team, and most of them would get stumped after Kassian and maybe Foligno.

PS I posted a link to real-time game stats in the 1st post in this thread. ;)

Watched the game on MSG NY Live here in upper Westchester. The big line did dominate while it had the puck with Adam running the show. Kassian at times looked a little slow to the puck especially in the third, but Adam was a beast and Foligno seemed to find his stride as the game progressed. Catenacci has speed to burn and a nice shot. Scored on the break away that he made as he was even with the D and just blew past him. He was number 43 for those who were wondering. Also Phil Varone seemed to have some legs and good eye for the ice. He had some nice chances, takeaways and hustled all game long. McNabb is a beast on D.

Interesting the see the skill levels and Liewen was solid in net and covered a lot of hit. Just my opinion and review of what stood out in the game for me while I was listening to the Ranger announcers.

Archived