The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Yea.. I generally avoid dry yeast as well. Wyeast is good but I've had really great results with White Labs.

Always trust the gravity reading. We had a starter ferment overnight with no visible signs of fermentation. We thought it was dead but tested it and it apparently it was just really good yeast!

Thanks again all, we're looking good over here now.

Til that guy finishes up, I'm trying a new one to me tonight. Left Hand Brewing's Polestar Pilsner. Went to VBM expecting to get a pale ale of some sort, but the a 'real' pilsner intrigued me. Its definetly better than your standard Blue's and whatnot, a little more spice and flavor, nice and crisp mouthfeel. I was a little worried my years of Red Dog and other such nonsense had ruined real lagers for me, because the first sniff made me flashback to cleaning up beer swill the morning after parties, but this guy is growing on me.

Stopped at Southern Tier over the weekend. They had a few new beers on tap. One was a belgian farmhouse ale called 'Steve'. It was ok. They had another belgian called 'Grand Arbor' that was all bubblegum. The Eurotrash pils was decent as usual - maybe a bit over-hopped. They have also expanded their food menu too. We didn't eat there but it all looked pretty good.

Oddly enough, while there we ran into the guys that are opening the Phoenix Brewery in Mansfield. Small world.

Edited by elj4176

Got a hot tip that this 1 bar in town has Terrapin White Chocolate Moo-Hoo (Chocolate Stout). Supposedly getting to go tomorrow to find out.

I had regular Moo-Hoo the other day and if you can find some it is a really nice Chocolate Stout. The coffee and chocolate flavors mesh really well and make it a good beer with lots of flavor but nothing that overwhelms you. I actually like it better a bit warmer and it is my favorite winter beer.

So...First batch down. Four and a half hours later and I'm just hoping for the best. My wife says the smell is going to make her barf.

Well.. then you probably did just fine. Fermenting beer never smells great until you've brewed many batches and develop a Pavlovian response.

If she complained about the smell of a sugar solution boiling then I'd be worried. :)

what did you make?

Finally, had Brooklyn Fire and Ice last night (it's a draft only release). Smoked Porter... it was quite tasty.

So...First batch down. Four and a half hours later and I'm just hoping for the best. My wife says the smell is going to make her barf.

Sounds about right. My wife had the same initial reaction to the smell but now after years of me brewing she actually likes the smell of grains and freshly added hops during the brewing process.

edit-

just kegged 5 gallons of my pale ale and I'm not impressed with it. I used 1098 yeast this time so maybe that's the difference. At least I have another 5 gallons with a different yeast to keg later.

Edited by elj4176

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.