All about scary players

With McCormick not re-signed yet, what are the Sabres going to do for muscle? Myers clearly can be mean, I like Weber for that, too, but without Cody, the Sabres have no one up front to scare the other teams. Even with Cody, I think they need someone else out there with some cast iron balls.

I never felt like this team was badly outmuscled, although I think Boston could have had their way with us ala Montreal if they wanted too. Cody was top 10 in number of fighting majors last year. and he sure seemed to have enough respect around the league that there weren't many liberties taken against this team (excepting Kaleta but he probably brought those on himself). If we sign McCormick I'll be satisifed with this teams toughness.

With McCormick not re-signed yet, what are the Sabres going to do for muscle? Myers clearly can be mean, I like Weber for that, too, but without Cody, the Sabres have no one up front to scare the other teams. Even with Cody, I think they need someone else out there with some cast iron balls.

But we have the Tunnel of Death, remember? :thumbsup:

I never felt like this team was badly outmuscled, although I think Boston could have had their way with us ala Montreal if they wanted too. Cody was top 10 in number of fighting majors last year. and he sure seemed to have enough respect around the league that there weren't many liberties taken against this team (excepting Kaleta but he probably brought those on himself). If we sign McCormick I'll be satisifed with this teams toughness.

If Cody's back, and I fully expect he will be, I don't see a lot of teams taking liberties w/ the Sabres when Regehr and Weber are also available. Regehr doesn't fight much but he garners a lot of respect.

If Cody isnt re-signed then pencil Kassian in the line up

That would be...fun? I'm all for Kassian, but I wouldn't be surprised if his first season in the NHL finds him a little over-zealous and he gets a few games detention. I would be more for Kassian and McCormick if that could be worked out somehow.

I think Boston proved beyond a doubt that to take the cup you need to have your dirty, grungy game ready.

The guys on 'On the Fly' had an interesting point as well. Having Ehrhoff on the point on the pp will also help to keep teams from taking liberties w/ the Sabres as taking a penalty might actually result in a goal scored against.

Cody, Robyn, and Mike (w/ Goose around as well) should be able to keep the other teams honest.

The guys on 'On the Fly' had an interesting point as well. Having Ehrhoff on the point on the pp will also help to keep teams from taking liberties w/ the Sabres as taking a penalty might actually result in a goal scored against.

Cody, Robyn, and Mike (w/ Goose around as well) should be able to keep the other teams honest.

Ehrhoff is a great point shot that we haven't really seen since Housley.

honestly, I don't know if that's too much. He is the hardest working player out there most of the time. He rarely takes a shift off. Hard work = rewarded IMO

Hard work is great - he is just very limited skill wise. He makes the most of his talent, that's for sure.

honestly, I don't know if that's too much. He is the hardest working player out there most of the time. He rarely takes a shift off. Hard work = rewarded IMO

Hard work, in his case, is rewarded by being among the 18 skaters that dressed that night. He doesn't have the talent to float and stay in the NHL. And yes, he earns his ice time, but players of his nature can be had for $800k-$1MM. Young guys that bring most of his game come in at the league minimum.

This seems to be about far more than just #8.

And good for him.

Hard work is great - he is just very limited skill wise. He makes the most of his talent, that's for sure.

How much better can you get for $1.2M? You could probably find someone who could put up more than 20 points in 81 games, but we didn't sign McCormick to put up points.

How much better can you get for $1.2M? You could probably find someone who could put up more than 20 points in 81 games, but we didn't sign McCormick to put up points.

I agree. We signed him to take and dish out beatings for the team. He is a valuable asset to have.

Foligno could do do everything McCormick can do right now. What is his contract at the NHl level - 800? 900? As we build a team with high priced free agents, our role players have to be bargains. Over pay 3 or 4 guys by a couple hundred thousand each and its an issue.

Don't get me wrong, he's a decent player and I like him, I just think 1.2 for his skill set is too much. Hell, Kaleta has more offensive upside than Cody. But Cody has proven much more durable.

Foligno could do do everything McCormick can do right now.

This is exactly what I don't think. Marcus Foligno is 20. He isn't even close to his peak size and strength as a hockey player. He's also inexperienced and has never played against NHL competition. Or AHL competition.

McCormick is a grown man and a proven commodity in the NHL. I really don't want to have to tell guys like Roy, Vanek, Ennis, Gerbe, Pominville, Miller, etc. that the guy responsible for protecting them if the other team starts getting stupid out there is a 20 year old (who we picked to save $200,000).

Archived