[OT] - "Send 'em up, I'll wait!"

LGR4GM

Figure it was kinda tense on the board so why not laugh a bit and as we are a month out from the 4th of July why not have a conversation how lucky we are to have men and women who go into harms way, because no matter what side of the political spectrum you fall under, you know that at the end of the day you can crack open a beer and not get stoned to death.

SO what are your plans for the 4th????

-- conversation overheard on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai.

Iranian Air Defense Site: 'Unknown aircraft you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Air Defense Site: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait'

:worthy: :thumbsup: :clapping:

Air Defense Site: ( ... total silence) :death: :oops: --

God bless our troops. There is something about a Marine that makes other countries listen to reason.

That is a pretty funny exchange. Where did you get that?

We'll be home recovering on July 4. The previous week we'll be in New Orleans for 6 days celebrating our 20th anniversary. I figure my liver will need a good solid 2 weeks to recover.

That is a pretty funny exchange. Where did you get that?

Parents sent it to me in an email but I googled it and theres stuff on it from a couple of years ago so its not new but its funny. Figured we all could use a laugh as its been a wee bit tense around here. To many fans not enough news lol.

O and I think I am going to visit a good friend of mine in Jersey for the 4th and maybe go into NYC for fun or maybe Atlantic city idk, either way it should be a good time.

Dirt bike camping trip in the alleghaney forest of PA, where beers will be had, women will be seduced, and injuries will occur

And I will do my yearly naked mile lap thru the campsites wearing a safety vest and red white and blue glowsticks at 3 am : )

Dirt bike camping trip in the alleghaney forest of PA, where beers will be had, women will be seduced, and injuries will occur

And I will do my yearly naked mile lap thru the campsites wearing a safety vest and red white and blue glowsticks at 3 am : )

Hopefully the latter two will be unrelated...:unsure:

Hey KTN, here's a little anecdote to go along with the military aviation theme.

My grandfather piloted a B-17 over occupied Europe. 390th bomber group, 569th squadron out of Scotland. Two tours of duty. This was his bird.

edit- how do you guys attach pics anyway?

Last year I got on a 390th bomber group forum and tracked down a lady who was a Red Cross volunteer that met my Gram and Gramps. She was the only volunteer on base when Gramps bird went down in the water off Pensacola. She gave aid to my Grandmother and helped take care of the 5 men who died in the crash. She sent me her copy of the accident report. Very long document. Got that bugger locked away in a safe. Back then they weren't sure why the bird went down, but they were taking off in a badass thunderstorm when contact was lost shortly after takeoff. My grandfathers last words over the radio were, "I can't see a God damned thing out here". I am pretty sure today it would have been recognized as a downdraft event.

It's kinda weird. I never knew the man but I get a little choked up when I go to airshows and the B-17's are there. And I HATE seeing news footage of airshow crashes.

Hey KTN, here's a little anecdote to go along with the military aviation theme.

My grandfather piloted a B-17 over occupied Europe. 390th bomber group, 569th squadron out of Scotland. Two tours of duty. This was his bird.

edit- how do you guys attach pics anyway?

Last year I got on a 390th bomber group forum and tracked down a lady who was a Red Cross volunteer that met my Gram and Gramps. She was the only volunteer on base when Gramps bird went down in the water off Pensacola. She gave aid to my Grandmother and helped take care of the 5 men who died in the crash. She sent me her copy of the accident report. Very long document. Got that bugger locked away in a safe. Back then they weren't sure why the bird went down, but they were taking off in a badass thunderstorm when contact was lost shortly after takeoff. My grandfathers last words over the radio were, "I can't see a God damned thing out here". I am pretty sure today it would have been recognized as a downdraft event.

It's kinda weird. I never knew the man but I get a little choked up when I go to airshows and the B-17's are there. And I HATE seeing news footage of airshow crashes.

Im sorry your grandfather didnt make it through the war, im am lucky that both of mine did. My one grandfather flew pby-catalinas out of the Aleutians during the war, so i definitely appreciate the sentiment of getting choked up over seeing his plane. We should all be thankful the greatest generation won the greatest most terrifying "sport" (pardon the expression I have a great respect for the horror that is war) ever waged: WWII.

I love 4th of july because it reminds me no matter the difference of opinions at least we are allowed to have them, some country's just stone you for it.

:beer: cheers to the men and women who have given the last full measure of devotion so that this great nation might endure.

That's sad to hear man, I was stationed in pennsacola for a while before I shipped overseas, im glad to be a civilian again but im thankful that I was able to help our country. Tho it sucks being over there, I can't imagine how past generations handled the situation, it was far more dangerous back then considering the technology. My grandfather was a green beret in WWII and before he passed he had the most ridiculous stories to tell. Idk where im going with my rant but pennsacola made me nostalgic and hearing old timer stories is a real treat, those were some true heroes

The 40's? Im in the valley all the time!!!

My wife and I go there a few times a year, it's such a cool place. On the 3rd we're bringing some novice hiker friends of ours who have never been there before... can't wait for them to see it. We'll be hiking along the north rim to Knife Edge Ridge (though not climbing down it this time unfortunately), driving around to Lookout Point, then down the flats to the confluence (saw a pair of bald eagles there last summer) and then we'll creekhike upstream to the Forty Rd bridge. Hopefully I can talk them into climbing Pyramid Hill with us too, although they are novices and afraid of heights so that might be a tough sell. B-)

It really is a magical place.

Super cool story.

Just found out my bro is headed back for his second tour in Afghanistan. This July 4th is for him.

Much thanks to your brother for what he does. What branch is he in? I'm an armybrat myself. My mom has served in the army for 25 years, and my grandfather served for 33 between the Army Special forces (Green berets) and MP's (1 too many concussions from jumping out of planes forced him elsewhere).

Much thanks to your brother for what he does. What branch is he in? I'm an armybrat myself. My mom has served in the army for 25 years, and my grandfather served for 33 between the Army Special forces (Green berets) and MP's (1 too many concussions from jumping out of planes forced him elsewhere).

Much thanks to his brother, your mom and my 2 nephews. I hung up the uniform awhile ago, but these individuals carry on.

My 2 grandfathers served in ww2. One was with the Red Ball Express (28th infantry division) and the other was 101st airborne.

Neither ever spoke about it, although, my grandmother did say my one grandfather had a particularly hard go of it in Bastogne, he was one of the Battling Bastards. He was also the 2nd non-com and helped form the 82nd airborne before being deployed for D-Day.

So every Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day, I pay special homage to all those that have served, are serving and will serve.

Always in my thoughts and forever in my and my families prayers.

Much thanks to his brother, your mom and my 2 nephews. I hung up the uniform awhile ago, but these individuals carry on.

My 2 grandfathers served in ww2. One was with the Red Ball Express (28th infantry division) and the other was 101st airborne.

Neither ever spoke about it, although, my grandmother did say my one grandfather had a particularly hard go of it in Bastogne, he was one of the Battling Bastards. He was also the 2nd non-com and helped form the 82nd airborne before being deployed for D-Day.

So every Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day, I pay special homage to all those that have served, are serving and will serve.

Always in my thoughts and forever in my and my families prayers.

Amen man! :beer: :thumbsup:

Archived