3 Burning Questions

X. Benedict

True, but those two aren't the best examples of it. They were complimentary players in the twilight of their careers when they won cups.

And they were both high end players during many of those years where they won nothing. I'd say my point is that if you're doing it right, the entire roster is full of complimentary players. If we're looking for a single player who can will the team's way to a championship, good luck with that. I don't know if I'd apply that label to any player in the league.

I'd agree w/ you on Thornton and want nothing to do w/ Heatley. But Marleau looked very good in the playoffs last year and was the biggest reason (IMHO) why they got to the semis.

I'd take a chance on him if the price were right.

I have a feeling tonight's game will dictate the price.

1. Who wins game 7 San Jose or Detroit?

2. If San Jose loses tonight, do you want anyone from their roster?

Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Wallin?

3. As a percentage, what are the chances that the Sabres/Rochester reestablish an affiliation in the next 2 years?

1) San Jose

2) Couture (never happening); Marleau - Why would you not want this guy? Scored 30+ goals 5 of the last 6 seasons, and produces in the playoffs.

3) 25%

I'm surprised noone mentioned Ryan Clowe. I'd gladly give up any winger not named Vanek for Clowe. Put him in Stafford's spot. He's the kind of guy that we need against the likes of Boston, Philly, and Pittsburgh.

3. As a percentage, what are the chances that the Sabres/Rochester reestablish an affiliation in the next 2 years?

1. Who cares? Vancouver will eliminate them.

2. Not a single one,

3. 50/50.

1.) Detroit. Hopefully to set up a Detroit vs. Tampa final. Two teams that have won a cup recently so I won't care much who wins (although the Wings will have a slight preference due to their multiple cups) and it will be another year gone by without a new Cup winner before us.

2.) Yes, I'd take any of SJ's scoring centers.

3.) 33.3%

And they were both high end players during many of those years where they won nothing. I'd say my point is that if you're doing it right, the entire roster is full of complimentary players. If we're looking for a single player who can will the team's way to a championship, good luck with that. I don't know if I'd apply that label to any player in the league.

No single player will get it done, but you need a team full of winners - guys who refuse to lose. Guys who, I hate myself for saying this, have "it". That's what Black is looking for. That's what it takes to win a cup.

I havent said it today so... PAVELSKI WE WANT PAVELSKI! and idk about your other thoughts.

1.) Detroit. Hopefully to set up a Detroit vs. Tampa final. Two teams that have won a cup recently so I won't care much who wins (although the Wings will have a slight preference due to their multiple cups) and it will be another year gone by without a new Cup winner before us.

2.) Yes, I'd take any of SJ's scoring centers.

3.) 33.3%

Several people have said this or things like it. I'm not looking for more scoring. We finished the season in 9th place in scoring only 10 goals behind #5. This after finishing December in the Bottom 10 in scoring. Our problems at center are not scoring goals, they are defensive and puck control. I'd be looking at the Selke guys, not the Art Ross guys.

1.) Boston

2.) Vancouver

3.) As I said in the other thread, there isn't just one model that works. You don't need a higher level goaltender to win if you build the rest of the team around a decent one well enough, but you can build a good enough team around a higher level (and salary) goalie to compete with those teams. Tampa Bay has $7M in cap space, so does it really matter that their starting goaltender cost $3.5M less than Miller? Had they the internal budget to pay for it, they could have swapped in Miller and spent another $3M upgrading their other parts. If they win the Cup, will the model be "you don't have to spend near the cap to win the Cup!"

Suggested 3 new questions for today (if X gives his blessing):

1.) Tampa or Boston?

2.) Vancouver or San Jose?

3.) Is this year an anomoly, or do goalies really matter in the playoffs?

1) Bruins, though not having Bergeron will make it interesting

2) Vancouver

3) I think it always matters. How much it matters depends on the teams strength in their own zone or the system they play.

1) Bruins, though not having Bergeron will make it interesting

2) Vancouver

3) I think it always matters. How much it matters depends on the teams strength in their own zone or the system they play.

I'll just quote your post for my 3 answers. :thumbsup:

1.) Tampa or Boston?

Tampa - I hate New England.

Vancouver - always been my #2 team behind the sabres. Gotta love the Sedins.

Goalies always matter and especially in the playoffs. I think you have to have elite play from your tender in order to make a deep run (whether they are paid at an elite level is a different story altogether). It makes less of an impact when you are loaded at forward but particularly defense. Any NHL level goalie can make the perimeter see-it-all-the-way shots.

1.) Tampa or Boston?

1. Boston in 6

2. Vancouver in 7

3. What anomoly? They always matter.

1.) Tampa or Boston?

Tampa Bay in 5

SJ in 5

They matter. Less than I think but more than others do.

Several people have said this or things like it. I'm not looking for more scoring. We finished the season in 9th place in scoring only 10 goals behind #5. This after finishing December in the Bottom 10 in scoring. Our problems at center are not scoring goals, they are defensive and puck control. I'd be looking at the Selke guys, not the Art Ross guys.

I want to revisit the idea that we need a serious playmaker to augment vaneks goal scoring ability. Jumbo Joe changed his image in my head last night, and now that I know he's not a guaranteed flop in games that matter, id love to add him. I will admit defensive responsibility is indeed a must

I want to revisit the idea that we need a serious playmaker to augment vaneks goal scoring ability. Jumbo Joe changed his image in my head last night, and now that I know he's not a guaranteed flop in games that matter, id love to add him. I will admit defensive responsibility is indeed a must

If Thornton could get a guy like Cheechoo to score 56 goals...just think what he'd do for Vanek.

But ...Jumbo's stock just went through the roof last night.

If Thornton could get a guy like Cheechoo to score 56 goals...just think what he'd do for Vanek.

Which is why we were all rooting for Detorit last night. If they had lost there could have been some seriously deflated trade values in an attempt to shake up that team.

True, but if we don't get timmer signed that's 4.5, drop rivets salary from the beginning of the year another 3.5, morrisson down to the minors is 2, how much money would we need to pay him? Ik we need to sign players other than thornton, but I'm inclined to think we have the room. We'd need to trade for him anyway right?

True, but if we don't get timmer signed that's 4.5, drop rivets salary from the beginning of the year another 3.5, morrisson down to the minors is 2, how much money would we need to pay him? Ik we need to sign players other than thornton, but I'm inclined to think we have the room. We'd need to trade for him anyway right?

He's not a free agent.....I really thought losing 4 straight games would have meant blowing up San Jose with trades. ....now I think they keep it together.

Archived