3 Burning Questions

X. Benedict

1. Who wins game 7 San Jose or Detroit?

2. If San Jose loses tonight, do you want anyone from their roster?

Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Wallin?

3. As a percentage, what are the chances that the Sabres/Rochester reestablish an affiliation in the next 2 years?

Detroit wins tonight, if there's any team that can come back from 0-3 it's the boys wearing the winged wheel.

I'd take couture, or Boyle, but those are my fantasy trades.

it's too soon to tell at this point. if we still had golisano as an owner i'd say zero, but with t-pegs and ted black, anything seems to be possible on the logistics side.

1. Detroit. Red Wings 3rd and 4th line depth is the difference

2. Thornton - in a dream world --- (I think if they lose, their money players hit the trade market)

3. 40% - as a regional marketing strategy Rochester still makes the most sense. Love Korab's idea about Elmira too.

3. As a percentage, what are the chances that the Sabres/Rochester reestablish an affiliation in the next 2 years?

1) San Jose at home...I'd love to see it

2) Pavelski, or Heatley

3) *2*5% in the next 2 years...

EDIT: oops...2 didn't show up for 25

1) San Jose wins it at home

2) I would trade 1st rnd pick and Weber/Butler for pavelski, would be a great way to spend the connolly money

3) 0% in next 2 years, 75% after the Portland Contract Expires. Unless T-Pegs is really willing to get crazy with his money and stock 2 AHL teams (can he even do that?)

1. Detroit

2. Marleau. (would take several others: Couture, Pavelski, Boyle, Clowe, Seteguci, Vlassic but expect Marleau might actually be available at a reasonable price)

3. 18%

1) San Jose wins it at home

2) I would trade 1st rnd pick and Weber/Butler for pavelski, would be a great way to spend the connolly money

3) 0% in next 2 years, 75% after the Portland Contract Expires. Unless T-Pegs is really willing to get crazy with his money and stock 2 AHL teams (can he even do that?)

contracts are just that....they can be altered, amended, bought out, and sold.

As for 2 AHL teams..I don't think there is anything stopping it, however, a team can only have 50 contracted players...so that would preclude stocking an NHL, AHL and an additional AHL roster.

1. I want both teams to win, so what will happen is Vancouver will be eliminated for no good reason, resulting in Detroit playing San Jose in another series for the WCF.

2. Couture and Pavelski since they're a lot younger than Marleau/Thornton

3. 80%... Florida played Boston here in a pre-season game and the arena was filled with Bruins Fans. Nobody here(Rochester)supports or likes the Panthers.

As for 2 AHL teams..I don't think there is anything stopping it, however, a team can only have 50 contracted players...so that would preclude stocking an NHL, AHL and an additional AHL roster.

For competitive reasons, I doubt one ownership group could own two AHL franchises. If you are just talking about affiliations, well, then X marks the spot.

2. Marleau. (would take several others: Couture, Pavelski, Boyle, Clowe, Seteguci, Vlassic but expect Marleau might actually be available at a reasonable price)

Marleau is an interesting one. I agree that he is likely to be available (more so than Pavelski or Thornton), but do we want him? He's been a productive center and a Captain in the past, but hasn't been either in the last two years (still very productive, but mostly plays wing now.) He definitely produces during the regular season and has produced in the post season (about a PPG last year, 5 Pts in 6 GP against LA), but has been neutralized by Detroit. He's got three seasons left at $6.9M per and is 31 years old. He'd be the team's #1 center, but is he the best choice? I waiver. There are some other targets that I might prefer.

Marleau is an interesting one. I agree that he is likely to be available (more so than Pavelski or Thornton), but do we want him? He's been a productive center and a Captain in the past, but hasn't been either in the last two years (still very productive, but mostly plays wing now.) He definitely produces during the regular season and has produced in the post season (about a PPG last year, 5 Pts in 6 GP against LA), but has been neutralized by Detroit. He's got three seasons left at $6.9M per and is 31 years old. He'd be the team's #1 center, but is he the best choice? I waiver. There are some other targets that I might prefer.

Interesting is a good word for it.

He hasn't looked good against Detroit, but last year when they went out he was the only forward that looked impressive to me. The age is about right for the contract length (probably wont be worth much after 3 more years, but I think he's got that many good seasons left in him). Don't know if it would pan out, but he can probably be had cheaper than some other "comparable" options due to Q's about the post-season. And if he isn't working out, could probably find somebody else that would take a flyer on him for not too much of a discount to what the Sabres got him for.

1. I would love to see Detroit win in game 7 for the sole reason that it would make a lot of the SJ players a bit more tradeable come July 1.

2. Couture and Pavelski. I would stay away from Marleau since he seems to be another LW/C tweener and that doesn't really solve anything for the price. Thornton would take way too much to get him so he was left off the list.

3.in >2 years i'd go 40%. What the wife wants they usually get but it appears that the Portland affiliation has been nothing but good for the Sabres so idk if they want to rush to burn such a nice bridge.

1. I would love to see Detroit win in game 7 for the sole reason that it would make a lot of the SJ players a bit more tradeable come July 1.

2. Couture and Pavelski. I would stay away from Marleau since he seems to be another LW/C tweener and that doesn't really solve anything for the price. Thornton would take way too much to get him so he was left off the list.

3.in >2 years i'd go 40%. What the wife wants they usually get but it appears that the Portland affiliation has been nothing but good for the Sabres so idk if they want to rush to burn such a nice bridge.

1. Don't have to wait for july. I think the action goes down on draft day weekend.

Detroit because of #2

I do NOT want Thornton or Marleau, and hate Heatley with a passion. People speak of our failed core - what do Thornton and Marleau represent? Guys who year after year haven't been able to get it done with far more talent around them than the Sabres' core has had.. Black's message is we are going to retain and recruit WINNERS. Thornton, Marleau and Heatley are regular season all stars but LOSERS when the games really count. Give me Pavelski, Coutoure and Boyle, though.

The odds? 50/50.

Detroit because of #2

I do NOT want Thornton or Marleau, and hate Heatley with a passion. People speak of our failed core - what do Thornton and Marleau represent? Guys who year after year haven't been able to get it done with far more talent around them than the Sabres' core has had.. Black's message is we are going to retain and recruit WINNERS. Thornton, Marleau and Heatley are regular season all stars but LOSERS when the games really count. Give me Pavelski, Coutoure and Boyle, though.

The odds? 50/50.

Thornton would automatically balance the lines...

Vanek-Thornton-Stafford

Ennis-Roy-Pominville

Boyes-Center-Gerbe

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

BTW...I have no idea how much Rob Ray is in the know...but on his Monday show he said..."Something big is going down this summer"....and "This team needs Joe Thornton" in the same segment. I just thought it was a fun thought.

Thornton would automatically balance the lines...

Vanek-Thornton-Stafford

Ennis-Roy-Pominville

Boyes-Center-Gerbe

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

BTW...I have know idea how much Rob Ray is in the know...but on his Monday show he said..."Something big is going down this summer"....and "This team needs Joe Thornton" in the same segment. I just thought it was a fun thought.

They would challenge for the Presidents Trophy with Big Joe in the line up. My goal is higher than that, and history has proven that Big Joe doesn't really help achieve that higher goal. Maybe he can prove differently tonight.

Exciting times to be a Sabres fan - the salary cap is going up by 8 million this off season and I am excited about the possibilities rather than worried about whether ownership can afford the floor.

They would challenge for the Presidents Trophy with Big Joe in the line up. My goal is higher than that, and history has proven that Big Joe doesn't really help achieve that higher goal. Maybe he can prove differently tonight.

History said the same thing about guys like Ray Bourque and Dave Andreychuk too. You put the right players together and almost anyone can win.

History said the same thing about guys like Ray Bourque and Dave Andreychuk too. You put the right players together and almost anyone can win.

True, but those two aren't the best examples of it. They were complimentary players in the twilight of their careers when they won cups.

Detroit because of #2

The odds? 50/50.

I'd agree w/ you on Thornton and want nothing to do w/ Heatley. But Marleau looked very good in the playoffs last year and was the biggest reason (IMHO) why they got to the semis.

I'd take a chance on him if the price were right.

Archived