[OT] Buffalo. For Real.

spndnchz

Yeah, I'll just stay in Rochester where I can drive into the city via surface roads and not be worried about getting car jacked.

What are you talking about? That's part of the charm that awaits the tourists who fall for that video!

What are you talking about? That's part of the charm that awaits the tourists who fall for that video!

:clapping: Like people who go to Detroit and decide to take Michigan ave into the city because their GPS said to.

Myself, I'm not that concerned about high crime neighborhoods since I deal with them so much. But everyone else loses their minds when they see a bunch of black dudes in puffy jackets standing outside a convenient store. Yay suburbanites! :rolleyes:

It did the same for me... but for some reason it seemed more like a eulogy, than a relocate your business here video.

Me too. My emotions were a mix of pride,sadness, and anger. Pride because it's where I was born and called home for the majority of my life. Sadness, because like you said, it was like a eulogy. It could have been a vignette from the movie Cocoon or the 'Kick the Can' story from Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Lastly, anger. We can blame NY bureaucracy, the rust belt syndrome, hell even the weather. Bottom line, we do more talking than doing. Living outside of Buffalo has exposed me the beauty of action rather than argument.

• 3 weeks later...
for someone who wants to move out of LA and is considering Buffalo

From someone who grew up in Buffalo, has lived in five different cities, and currently lives in LA: do it.

There are hundreds of great things about Buffalo (about which I could on for pages/hours), but the housing costs alone will make it worth it. For what you pay in rent in a year or two, you can buy a house straight cash, or you can afford a mortgage on a great house on a single income. If Buffalo wears on you at all, it'll be the weather that does it, if you're not used to it. If that happens, sack up and enjoy seasons.

I work in a bit of a niche field, but if I had anything close to resembling a serious career opportunity in Buffalo, I would take it in a heartbeat. Sometimes I'm sad that my career has taken me away from home, but I know that someday I'll make a glorious triumphant homecoming to repopulate and rebuild the city I love.

Come have a glass of Country Time Lemonade and enjoy our architecture!!

It was OK but jeez who are trying to attract 60 year old tourists?! Aren't they all in death's waiting room? (Florida?)

That's a great video and soothing soundtrack to play for the folks at the nursing home when they are euthanised because the county doesn't have any more medicaid money.

LMFAO

How do you think this stuff up? I think water just came out my nose. Now I gotta clean up my keyboard .. lol

He's been here doing it for years, if he doesn't already write for comedy he should consider a second career.

It did the same for me... but for some reason it seemed more like a eulogy, than a relocate your business here video.

Yeah not quite sure what the intent of the video is.

I did enjoy seeing some of the places and history again.

That's a great video and soothing soundtrack to play for the folks at the nursing home when they are euthanised because the county doesn't have any more medicaid money.

That was just soooooo wrong on so many levels, but since you mentioned it...

...go here.

After the OBL thread, I'm somewhat hesitant to talk about this.

But, I know the group of people that put this together and they exist in their own little enclave. That they put this together despite the rest of the community is typical - this strategy and the way they went about it is shortsighted, old and tired; it hasn't worked in the past and will not work now.

The problem with this area and getting it to "Work Together" is that there are many little fiefdoms and the people who "rule" them don't want to do anything that they think will jeopardize their position. This is because things around here are so tentative, once a person/group have attained any position, they don't want to lose it (naturally). I know I'm speaking in gross generalities, and I could get much more specific, but if you have any experience with business in the area (and are a realist) you should know what I'm talking about.

Paging Norm Bakos!!!

How do you think this stuff up? I think water just came out my nose. Now I gotta clean up my keyboard .. lol

Can you imagine him saying that in a packed house with every one of us members right there with him? We would all be literally dying in laughter!

Definitely. Not for promoting the city, although they are cooler than we are and able to fight back from bad press. Nevertheless, the take home message is:

"Grand Rapids - music's dead, Satan laughs with delight, and downtown is so empty we can film a 10 minute video montage at the drop of a hat."

That's fantastic compared to the first one. I'd have pointed out with all that snow, we almost never have watering bans.

Of course, videos like that wouldn't be necessary if they'd just lower taxes to the point that they were competitive with the rest of the nation.

:clapping: Like people who go to Detroit and decide to take Michigan ave into the city because their GPS said to.

Myself, I'm not that concerned about high crime neighborhoods since I deal with them so much. But everyone else loses their minds when they see a bunch of black dudes in puffy jackets standing outside a convenient store. Yay suburbanites! :rolleyes:

The last time I was up in Buffalo my buddies ran out of dope with a couple days left in our trip so we drove through the projects looking for guys just like that who might have been able to help us out. They must have been too suspicious of two honkeys and a mexican with out of state tags looking for a bag of pot though, so we struck out. I met some college kids outside one of the bars though who were able to help them out though so eventually they got their bag and quit their bitching.

Tears in my eyes. Yeah I'm a girl. shutup! lol

I think what's nice about that video is it highlights us beating two teams playing a game seven on Wednesday. This team is only a few pieces away from being in Boston's shoes right now, and I truly believe that.

Archived