Mike Richards Not Suspended

thesportsbuff

I know this is being discussed elsewhere, but there's literally five different threads you could discuss this in and I don't want to post the same thing in all of them. I think it's a big enough topic to deserve it's own thread. If mods disagree feel free to delete (but get rid of my warning level :thumbsup: )

Here's what Ken Campbell of The Hockey News thinks:

We found out exactly what kind of stones Colin Campbell and those who handle discipline for the NHL have when they decided Monday not to suspend Mike Richards of the Philadelphia Flyers. We’ll also find out if they decide to suspend Bryan Bickell of the Chicago Blackhawks.

But I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out the league’s rationale when it comes to matters of discipline.

More @ The Hockey News

Edit: here is the hit for those who need to watch it again.

I can't say this is totally unexpected, but it still sucks. He might have been suspended if he did this in the regular season or maybe even early in this series. But for a Game 7? At home? Their captain? The NHL doesn't have the stones to do that.

The unfortunate part is that the Sabres can't "go out and run 'em" because they'll lose whoever does that for the game.

:censored:

I can't say this is totally unexpected, but it still sucks. He might have been suspended if he did this in the regular season or maybe even early in this series. But for a Game 7? At home? Their captain? The NHL doesn't have the stones to do that.

The unfortunate part is that the Sabres can't "go out and run 'em" because they'll lose whoever does that for the game.

So send Ellis.

This is unfortunate...not only for us, as Sabres fans, but on a whole as far as the league is concerned. I agree with Miller, this is exactly the type of hit that they have been trying to "crack down" on and remove from the game.

It was unnecessary, careless, and just plain stupid. Mike Richards has not only one, but two plays in this series that have been deliberate towards hurting another player.

Talk about getting away with murder...

typical. Had roles been reversed, i wonder what the outcome would have been.

I wonder this, too. I mean, I hate to be the one to whine about refs and whine about the ballwashing that goes on towards the other team everytime the Sabres are on national tv, and whine about missed calls and etc etc. But really it's ###### like this that just smacks you in the face and reminds you that you're a Sabres fan and therefor you don't matter to the NHL.

typical. Had roles been reversed, i wonder what the outcome would have been.

If it had been someone of similar stature, e.g., Thomas Vanek, who hit some Flyer, I think the outcome would have been exactly the same.

If it had been someone of similar stature, e.g., Thomas Vanek who hit some Flyer, I think the outcome would have been exactly the same.

IMO Vanek doesn't compare to Richards in stature, other than being the closest thing we have to a captain. Richards has always had a reputation as a dirty player (I don't know where to look to find out his suspension history, I'm guessing he probably might not have one) and, though not suspension worthy, he has some recent history with his elbow/headshot major earlier in the series. I'd like to see the league take some of that into consideration, also the fact that we lose our #1 center and best PKer for Game 7 and probably much longer, potentially for his career if it's another concussion, thanks to a careless dirty play. Two hands on timmy's number pushing him into the boards.

The reasoning seems to be that "Connolly had ample time to get his hands up to protect himself." I disagree with that entirely.

IMO Vanek doesn't compare to Richards in stature, other than being the closest thing we have to a captain. Richards has always had a reputation as a dirty player (I don't know where to look to find out his suspension history, I'm guessing he probably might not have one) and, though not suspension worthy, he has some recent history with his elbow/headshot major earlier in the series. I'd like to see the league take some of that into consideration, also the fact that we lose our #1 center and best PKer for Game 7 and probably much longer, potentially for his career if it's another concussion, thanks to a careless dirty play. Two hands on timmy's number pushing him into the boards.

The reasoning seems to be that "Connolly had ample time to get his hands up to protect himself." I disagree with that entirely.

That's why I used him as the example; if you want to use Gaustad instead, I still think the same result. I'm not debating whether there should be a suspension (I do), but rather whether the league would give one to a Sabre in similar circumstances. In other words, I think the league is bush for not suspending Richards, but I don't think Filly is getting a break for being Filly.

pretty typical......

If Richards runs Sydney Crosby however.......

It would have been very interesting to see whether he'd've gotten any suspension if the Sabres held on in this one. I could have seen him sitting a game or 2 to start the new season, but a useful Phlyer has as much of a chance of getting a meaningful suspension as a Bruin does.

I just don't see Campbell crossing Jabobs nor the Snyders.

I don't know that Crosby would have drawn a suspension from Richards; Carcillo, absolutely; the heart and soul of the Phlyers, not necessarily.

I'm pissed but not surprised. He definitely should have been suspended, especially after specifically pointing out that their team was going to target Vanek and Connolly. I can't stand the way discipline is handed out on such a subjective basis.

Another good point... I forgot about all that talk after Game 5 about coming out and running them.

I can not believe I have reached a point as a fan that I want to see a player from another team just destroyed and i dont care if he gets injured... theres something wrong with that. I hope they target richards and just beat on him because penalties will have to agregious and I bet we see richards hack or cheapshot vanek or miller during game 7. If that happens I want someone to level him. IE. Richards gets checked so hard he has to leave the game the slimy dirty little weasel of a player.

I can not believe I have reached a point as a fan that I want to see a player from another team just destroyed and i dont care if he gets injured... theres something wrong with that. I hope they target richards and just beat on him because penalties will have to agregious and I bet we see richards hack or cheapshot vanek or miller during game 7. If that happens I want someone to level him. IE. Richards gets checked so hard he has to leave the game the slimy dirty little weasel of a player.

IMO you don't even wait for anything else out of Richards at this point, he can be a choir boy this next game and he still deserves some severe punishment that the NHL refused to hand out. You take care of business on the scoreboard and then you take him out.

thats because tc couldnt get his hand up because richards was holding one of them down... I want this team to destroy the flyers now.

If it had been someone of similar stature, e.g., Thomas Vanek, who hit some Flyer, I think the outcome would have been exactly the same.

Difference is, is that it wasn't Vanek and Vanek wouldnt do that. It was Richards (again)! We shouldnt even be mentioning anyone other than the one who did it!

The NHL needs a policy that they enforce equally. Doesnt matter if a guy is captain or 4th liner, if its game 1 of the season or game 7 of the SCF. Either handout the suspensions or let the league be taken over by the goons. If that was Crosby laid out versus Tiny Tim I think the NHL would have suspended Richards end of story.

Archived