Mike Richards Not Suspended

thesportsbuff

Or Boyes...it's not like he's doing anything else.

No matter who you send, it would still hurt your team in the end...provided said player gets the game misconduct. If they lose that guy for the game, it puts pressure on the other 11 forwards. Then if someone else gets injured, they're in real trouble.

As much as I'd like to see Richards put through a wall, I don't want to see the Sabres shorthanded or see the game turn into a melee. It's Game 7, after all.

No matter who you send, it would still hurt your team in the end...provided said player gets the game misconduct. If they lose that guy for the game, it puts pressure on the other 11 forwards. Then if someone else gets injured, they're in real trouble.

As much as I'd like to see Richards put through a wall, I don't want to see the Sabres shorthanded or see the game turn into a melee. It's Game 7, after all.

That's why you build a five goal lead late in the third and do it then. :thumbsup:

At the risk of sounding like a whiner about the officials, this is yet another example of the garage-league system of discipline and officiating that has plagued this league for years. And it hasn't improved, IMO, since they went to two referees instead of one. I don't see a "balancing out" in this series because it's not simply a matter of what's called, it's also what isn't called that has an effect on the game.

I undertand the argument that the Sabres on on their heels under the weight of a heavy Philly forecheck for long stretches -- hence, more penalties against Buffalo. I get that. But the inconsistence in calling things, particularly away from the puck, is maddening (i.e., interference, cross-checks, elbow, etc.).

As I said in an earlier post, I would prefer the refs just stay out of it. But if they are going to make calls, be effing consistent when doing so!

At the risk of sounding like a whiner about the officials, this is yet another example of the garage-league system of discipline and officiating that has plagued this league for years. And it hasn't improved, IMO, since they went to two referees instead of one. I don't see a "balancing out" in this series because it's not simply a matter of what's called, it's also what isn't called that has an effect on the game.

I undertand the argument that the Sabres on on their heels under the weight of a heavy Philly forecheck for long stretches -- hence, more penalties against Buffalo. I get that. But the inconsistence in calling things, particularly away from the puck, is maddening (i.e., interference, cross-checks, elbow, etc.).

As I said in an earlier post, I would prefer the refs just stay out of it. But if they are going to make calls, be effing consistent when doing so!

This is one penalty that isn't enforced nearly enough.

This is one penalty that isn't enforced nearly enough.

I'd disagree and state that it is enforced NEARLY enough. They haven't gone back to pre-lockout calling (or lack of calling, technically) of that penalty, and actually I think they are closer to having it right currently than they were coming out of the lockout. But if they'd tighten what they are enforcing very slightly, it would be a better game IMHO.

Another good point... I forgot about all that talk after Game 5 about coming out and running them.

Anyone who tries to run Vanek is in for a rude awakening.... He is a big dude and when he gets mad bodies hit the ice... HARD!

Luckily for other teams, he has kept his intense rage in check.... for now

I'd disagree and state that it is enforced NEARLY enough. They haven't gone back to pre-lockout calling (or lack of calling, technically) of that penalty, and actually I think they are closer to having it right currently than they were coming out of the lockout. But if they'd tighten what they are enforcing very slightly, it would be a better game IMHO.

I'm not longer disturbed by it...(the interference) as long as it is consistent.

It seems defense-men can impede as long as they are square to the guy on the rush and don't make contact if the puck is behind them.

Connolly was like a boxer backing into the ropes. He put himself there and was well aware of Richards and the possible consequences. That is how the league views it.

The play wasn't initiated as blindside. Connolly sees Richards charging at him and turns into the boards. Richards actually starts hauling him down as a hold from his front shoulder, then the dangerous part is he followed through from behind. If Connolly was battling with another player in the corner with his head burried, facing the boards and Richards sends him in head first....you bet he would be suspended.

I understand hating him right now, but again, you keep calling for every play to be a suspension and this league is going to grind to a halt.

The only outrage I have is that it continues to be a Sabres playoff foe doing things to our players to send them out injured. Y'all don't like Richards' play there and I understand that, but WE all know the rules are differnet in the playoffs. And if WE know it than the players damned well know it too. This team won't be a threat for Stanley Cup success until one or more of our players throws integrity aside and just does whatever the hell it takes (including hurting a key player) to move on. Personally, I'm sick and tired of seeing the team I root for on the recieving end of it all the time. 'bout time one of these muchachos grew some pubes, recognized the rules as issued for the playoffs, and did what they need to do to keep a VanRimsdyke, Briere, or Richards off the ice.

Doyousmellme?

Connolly was like a boxer backing into the ropes. He put himself there and was well aware of Richards and the possible consequences. That is how the league views it.

The play wasn't initiated as blindside. Connolly sees Richards charging at him and turns into the boards. Richards actually starts hauling him down as a hold from his front shoulder, then the dangerous part is he followed through from behind. If Connolly was battling with another player in the corner with his head burried, facing the boards and Richards sends him in head first....you bet he would be suspended.

I understand hating him right now, but again, you keep calling for every play to be a suspension and this league is going to grind to a halt.

Is that really what you see? Wow.

I take it back.....I wasn't watching the game. I thought Connolly had the puck in front from the video. I went to NBC and it's worse.

It isn't disgusting, but maybe in the regular season something happens.

I agree with the final part of that last point.

I just think the league is cowardly about touching this stuff in the playoffs.

Not even a phone call from Colin Campbell....

(race-fans should at least get a few moments to wonder while the inquiry sign is flashing :D )

I agree with the final part of that last point.

I just think the league is cowardly about touching this stuff in the playoffs.

Not even a phone call from Colin Campbell....

(race-fans should at least get a few moments to wonder while the inquiry sign is flashing :D )

THAT is the most embarrassing/saddest/frustratingest (is that a word?) part of the whole thing.

At least PRETEND that the rules are the same in the RS and playoffs.

As much as I'd like to see retribution I don't see it coming for Richards tomorrow except on the scoreboard when the Sabres prevail in game seven. Richards himself will be dealt with next season.

I'm curious if the Sabres will care next season. At this point it appears likely that TC has played his last game as a Sabre -- it will be interesting to see if the team shows their respect for him by getting some form of retribution on Richards next season, or if we just never hear about it again.

At this point, I wish ill and pain on Mike Richards. I should not, but I do. That was dirty. That was illegal. It clearly violates Rule 48, and the NHL did nothing about it. It's now time for the players on the ice to do something about it. Patrick Kaleta has got to take it up a notch and instead of just insulting Briere and Hartnell about their divorces, he needs to actually go out and hit and destroy these guys and Mike Richards.

Mike Richards is a dirty player and a total scumbag. It is because of him and Matt Cooke that there even is a Rule 48 in the NHL. It is he who hit Kaleta with an elbow to the head. And he is the guy who has taken Tim Connolly out of this series. It's now time for retribution. The Sabres need to go out and take some Flyers out of tomorrow night's game. How does he even have the audacity to talk about complaining about the Sabres getting away with murder when he is actually murdering people on the ice? He's the one that's getting away with it.

I want to see two things tomorrow. First, I want to see the Sabres win and win big. Second, I want to see them send a message to those punks in Philly and start physically abusing them like they have done to the Sabres. I've had it with them.

It is because of him and Matt Cooke that there even is a Rule 48 in the NHL. It is he who hit Kaleta with an elbow to the head. And he is the guy who has taken Tim Connolly out of this series.

If Richards didn't throw up his elbow, Kaleta would have been called for boarding. And the hockey world would be calling for his supension too. Granted the hit on Connolly was way late, it's almost a wash, cept for now Connolly can't play game 7. But it's not like Richards and Connolly have been big factors of this series anyway.

Archived