Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

I'm just thinking back to high school economics: steady supply + increased demand = increased prices as the remedy, not watering down the supply! But again, it's high school economics.

That makes sense when there is a fixed market. Right now the whiskey industry is booming. Nearly everyone has short supply issues. Prices are high. From an economic point of view now would be the right time to get more product on the shelf.

That makes sense when there is a fixed market. Right now the whiskey industry is booming. Nearly everyone has short supply issues. Prices are high. From an economic point of view now would be the right time to get more product on the shelf.

Makes more sense now.

Will it affect thier market share? I'm betting it affects market share positively. It isn't widely known but Jack Daniels did the exact same thing a few years back, for the exact same reasons. Noone noticed. If anything, a 3% dilution will make Makers Mark a softer, smoother drink. Serious whiskey folks will notice, but the bread and butter for Makers Mark is generally not serious whiskey drinkers first choice anyway. And more Makers on the shelf means more exposure to it by non-serious whiskey dfrinkers. My money is on a kindler, gentler Makers Mark converts the newly exposed.

There was an article in Modern Drunkard railing about this at the time. Good read.

https://drunkard.com/archive/editors_archive/jack_news_front.html

Maker's Mark being reduced from 90 proof to 84 proof to increase supply.

http://money.cnn.com...rs-mark-bourbon

Makers Mark posted a pic on their facebook page of a label that says 45%ABV and a caption reading, "you spoke, we listened".

Looks like public pressure resulted in a quick change back to 90 proof.

Buy a bottle in support of the change.

Makers Mark posted a pic on their facebook page of a label that says 45%ABV and a caption reading, "you spoke, we listened".

OK, but only because you told me to....... :beer:

Good.

EDIT: Interesting Washington Post blog/article that explains the supply/demand issue as you did: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/17/bourbonomics-101-what-the-makers-mark-dilution-debacle-says-about-corporate-strategy/

Edited by Eleven

• 2 weeks later...

This may be difficult for some of you to read:

http://www.cnbc.com/...text|&par=yahoo

Oops...

On a happier note, I have a 16 yo Lagavulin that was gifted me by some co-workers that I am ready to crack open. :beer:

:o That's a really expensive oops!

On another note, anyone tried Japanese whiskey? Got this as an email newsletter today and I'm intrigued: http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/ts/12758

Stopped in to the local watering hole tonight after my evening shift. Had something new behind the bar, Rock Hill Farms bourbon. Had a sample. Can't give my usual review. Suffice to say it was an impressive pour. Soft and smooth with lots of barrel notes and plenty of caramel. Hopefully I can give it a more thorough tasting soon.

:o That's a really expensive oops!

On another note, anyone tried Japanese whiskey? Got this as an email newsletter today and I'm intrigued: http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/ts/12758

The Chivas story made me cry.

Bio, try Yamakazi 18 or 12y. Very very good, would think it was Caol Ila.

• 4 weeks later...

While in the Watkins Glen area last week I also had a chance to get back to Finger Lakes Distilling. My mom and I did a tasting, and I decided to give the whiskeys a try:

Glen Thunder

McKenzie Pure Pot Still Whiskey

McKenzie Bourbon Whiskey

The first two were pretty smooth, but not terribly complicated. Another taster compared the Pot Still to Tullamore Dew, which I haven't yet tried. The Bourbon was a little hotter, but I liked the flavor better so I took a bottle home.

Also picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year old at the store last night and tried that tonight. With just a few drops of water, this was very enjoyable to sip. I thought the name sounded familiar, and after looking online I had forgotten it's bottled by the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Good stuff.

I got a bottle of the McKenzie Pure Pot Still for St Paddy's day. I had to forego the standard fair due to my commitment to only drink NYS alcohol this year.

My comment is that it is very simple and, in my opinion, underaged. It would improve greatly with another 2-3 summers in the barrel I think. Drinkable, but not worth the $45 bottle price.

I got a bottle of the McKenzie Pure Pot Still for St Paddy's day. I had to forego the standard fair due to my commitment to only drink NYS alcohol this year.

My comment is that it is very simple and, in my opinion, underaged. It would improve greatly with another 2-3 summers in the barrel I think. Drinkable, but not worth the $45 bottle price.

Definitely agreed on the price; I bought it anyway mostly because 1) I can't get it locally, and 2) I always feel somewhat obliged to make a purchase after spending time sampling. It's passable mixed, but not good enough to stand alone.

If you are firm on that comiitment you are stuck with McKenzie's and Hudson, no? I cannot think of any other NY distilled whiskey. Stock up on simple syrup, bitters, and muddling fruit. I think those two labels are best served as classic mixed drinks.

If you are firm on that comiitment you are stuck with McKenzie's and Hudson, no? I cannot think of any other NY distilled whiskey. Stock up on simple syrup, bitters, and muddling fruit. I think those two labels are best served as classic mixed drinks.

There's supposedly a new distillery coming to Buffalo soon, but it will be a little while before it's producing drinkable bourbon.

There's supposedly a new distillery coming to Buffalo soon, but it will be a little while before it's producing drinkable bourbon.

If thery start out aging in small barrels like nearly every other micro-distillery it may be too long.

Micro distilling has to be a near impossible business model. To do it and get the same results as the big boys requires tremendous investment in inventory that won't be turned into cash for upwards of 4-7 years. Literally every micro whiskey I've tried has been aged in small barrels for shorter times and in each and every case the whiskey is flawed yet priced with some of the very best bourbons to be found. I want to support them but at the end of the day those whiskeys just aren't enjoyable enough for me to justify it.

If thery start out aging in small barrels like nearly every other micro-distillery it may be too long.

Micro distilling has to be a near impossible business model. To do it and get the same results as the big boys requires tremendous investment in inventory that won't be turned into cash for upwards of 4-7 years. Literally every micro whiskey I've tried has been aged in small barrels for shorter times and in each and every case the whiskey is flawed yet priced with some of the very best bourbons to be found. I want to support them but at the end of the day those whiskeys just aren't enjoyable enough for me to justify it.

I think you just described how I feel about Hudson.

• 2 weeks later...

This site isn't limited to whisky, but they do have some interesting stuff:

http://caskers.com/welcome

Found them through a newsletter describing a brand of Cachaca that's on presale (to be released 4/15): http://caskers.com/product/avua/

I'm mostly just excited they'll actually ship to this azz-backwards state since so few places can, lol.

This site isn't limited to whisky, but they do have some interesting stuff:

http://caskers.com/welcome

Found them through a newsletter describing a brand of Cachaca that's on presale (to be released 4/15): http://caskers.com/product/avua/

I'm mostly just excited they'll actually ship to this azz-backwards state since so few places can, lol.

See post #440. :D I'm on their list. Surprise, surprise.

Was thinking of this thread today. Hit the local watering hole and after too many beers I finished off the session with a glass of Powers Irish Whiskey, neat. Nice stuff. I'm not gonna go with my usual description as I was a bit too far gone for my usual review. Was a very nice pour though. Lots of sweet grain and honey notes.Subtle barrel notes. Very smooth sipper. As Irish whiskeys go, this one jumps to the top of my list.

Next time I'll order one early and make note of the experience.

See post #440. :D I'm on their list. Surprise, surprise.

Was thinking of this thread today. Hit the local watering hole and after too many beers I finished off the session with a glass of Powers Irish Whiskey, neat. Nice stuff. I'm not gonna go with my usual description as I was a bit too far gone for my usual review. Was a very nice pour though. Lots of sweet grain and honey notes.Subtle barrel notes. Very smooth sipper. As Irish whiskeys go, this one jumps to the top of my list.

Next time I'll order one early and make note of the experience.

lol I should've known. At least you have the answer to the invitation part... right now it's a $10 credit for inviting friends, so hook nfreeman (and yourself) up!

As for your tasting, I thought the rule was "beer before liquor = never sicker?" :P

Edited by biodork

lol I should've known. At least you have the answer to the invitation part... right now it's a $10 credit for inviting friends, so hook nfreeman (and yourself) up!

As for your tasting, I thought the rule was "beer before liquor = never sicker?" :P

If you need an invite send me a PM and I'll set you up. Same goes for nfreeman.

As for the rest........ I'm a professional. I can't remember the last time I got sick during a session.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.