Enemy Territory

mediumishot

I ALMOST decided to go as well but my plans fell through because people kept saying maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZUtEeTKCk0&feature=player_embedded

Would have been fun!

I'm imagining this woman's kids watching and re-watching their mom tell a total stranger that his favorite team sucks c***. Nice.

Go to the game, wear a button-down shirt, khaki slacks and try to act like an impartial observer. Silently cheer every time the Sabres score. Make ambivalent comments to the Philly fans around you such as, "Hey - that Bobrovsky is some kind of goalie, eh?" or "The Flyers players look smaller in person..." If anyone asks who you are rooting for, tell them you work for an NHL consultant and you're doing a study on fan behavior. You can have all kinds of fun......

I'm imagining this woman's kids watching and re-watching their mom tell a total stranger that his favorite team sucks c***. Nice.

Go to the game, wear a button-down shirt, khaki slacks and try to act like an impartial observer. Silently cheer every time the Sabres score. Make ambivalent comments to the Philly fans around you such as, "Hey - that Bobrovsky is some kind of goalie, eh?" or "The Flyers players look smaller in person..." If anyone asks who you are rooting for, tell them you work for an NHL consultant and you're doing a study on fan behavior. You can have all kinds of fun......

Now this is sound advice.

Nice call Moongate. I have gone to game in Pittsburgh while wearing Sabres gear and while wearing regular work clothing. I can say that in the arena it is not nearly as bad as it is outside. It can be downright scary being in enemy territory without the home teams colors on.

Nice call Moongate. I have gone to game in Pittsburgh while wearing Sabres gear and while wearing regular work clothing. I can say that in the arena it is not nearly as bad as it is outside. It can be downright scary being in enemy territory without the home teams colors on.

You can always wear a Sabres T-shirt under the button down - after the Sabres bury the Flyers, unbutton your outer shirt on the way out of the arena and fly the blue and gold!

Hahahahahahaha how do these people live with themselves??

Edit: I'm sure it doesn't apply to ALL Flyers fans, and I'm sure it applies to some Sabres fans, too. In fact, I imagine that one guy in the video to be Drunkard's lost brother.

I'm at work so I can only watch the video and not listen to it but despite any drunken similarities you may recongize I can assure you all that no kin of mine would ever root for any team in Philadelphia. We're a family of Sabres, Bills, Mets (some Yankees), and to a lesser extent Knicks fan. Philly is right up there with Miami, Boston, and Dallas as places where the earth needs to just open up and swallow the city and it's fans.

Maybe it's just because I'm loud and unapologetic but what's the point in even going to the game if you're going to be too afraid to actually support the team?

Maybe it's just because I'm loud and unapologetic but what's the point in even going to the game if you're going to be too afraid to actually support the team?

I'm with you. I don't care what anyone says, If i'm going to enemy territory, I'm wearing my colors with pride. I wouldn't be a drunken idiot or provoke anything, but I'd wear my colors!

This may also stem from the fact that I'm a pretty big fella, (6'4ish" 235 - 245), so I'm a little less intimidated.

I mean, if I can survive the Cornell Student section in RIT orange when the Tigers whooped Cornell, let's take on the world, right? :D

I'm at work so I can only watch the video and not listen to it but despite any drunken similarities you may recongize I can assure you all that no kin of mine would ever root for any team in Philadelphia. We're a family of Sabres, Bills, Mets (some Yankees), and to a lesser extent Knicks fan. Philly is right up there with Miami, Boston, and Dallas as places where the earth needs to just open up and swallow the city and it's fans.

:thumbsup: :beer:

I went to a playoff game in Boston last year. It wasn't that bad. Maybe it's different for guys. The usual banter back and forth but overall, fun.

That's how it is 98% of the time. I mean, the guy in Philly was videotaping and drawing attention to himself. Even then most fans were laughing and jeering. If you stick your hand in the bees nest, prepare to get stung.

I've never had a problem in a hockey arena. I only had a problem once at a Dolphins/Bills game, but I was the only Bills fan in the section and was not quiet about it.

whatever happens this post-season, i hope nobody gets bryan stow'd (whose still in a coma).

and nothing bugs me more than when a stereotypically good looking person yells at someone else about how ugly they are. it's actually quite ironic. her parents must be so proud.

also, i wore sabres gear to games in both ottawa and montreal. never had a problem, and the fans couldn't have been more polite. actually, i've never felt intimidated doing the same in boston (and i'm only 5'10"). actually got compliments on my choice of player, too (lafontaine, hasek).

I wore my Sabres jersey I went to this game between the Lightning and Flyers at Wachovia when the Flyers were at their worst (they only won 10 home games that year). I got a couple of wtf looks, but no one said anything, and that was the entire ride down Broad St on the subway, in the stadium, and back. The Flyers sucked so bad that year, I was ecstatic. And then double ecstatic when Forsberg got ejected. And then triple ecstatic when Tampa Bay pulled out the big win.

I wear my Sabres gear all the time to Kings games, and I get more conversation and handshakes from Buffalo fans and expats than I get shittalking from anyone else. Kings fans know not to mess around with anyone but Ducks and Sharks fans; they're out of their element.

I also wear my Sabres jerseys if I simply travel to other NHL cities and there's no hockey involved. I like to consider it living evidence for that town that Sabres fans are everywhere. And it usually attracts conversation from hockey or Buffalo fans too. It's never attracted any negativity aside from friendly banter.

In the vast majority of stupid incidents*, it seems to take fans from BOTH sides being ignorant or drunk or stupid or angry to get things going. If you play it cool, keep things good natured, you'll enjoy the game without incident.

*Except for that one in Ottawa where the girl got kicked.

Hilarious, I was planning on wearing jeans and a hoodie with the sabres logo, but im still up in the air on that. I mean im paying to go and I want to cheer, I just want to leave with all my teeth as well

I live in south Jersey...surrounded by Flyers fans...moved here from NYC. I was really worried about going to a game at Wachovia Center, but sucked it up for my birthday in March. After a horrible experience on Long Island for the playoffs a few years ago...I was really scared. I go to tons of Phillies games, been to soccer games at the new stadium in Chester etc.

The game in March was a totally awesome experience! First off, I am female, so maybe I won't get the same verbal teatment that a guy would...but I saw/heard non of that. The flyers fans were knowledgable, emotional and loud...they were fun. One fan came up to me to tell me how happy he was that we have a new owner that cares and that he loves the old logo etc...went on and on.

That being said...I am never, ever rude to fans in their arena.

If you show up, get drunk and act like an ass...you are in for an earful. I want to trek my Eagles fans friends up to Orchard Park in the fall for the game against the Bills...but I fear that the idiots at that asylum will embarrass me...they have in the past. You give a lot of beer to anyone and bad things ensue.

My advice, act the way you would like Flyers fans to act at HSBC Arena and you will be golden.

I appreciate the fact that they give a damn about hockey...cuz most US fans don't care. Philly is a great sports town...

I have seen the Sabres in NYC, Long Island, Hartford, NJ, Philly, Dallas and Chicago...best experience so far has been Philly.

I live in south Jersey...surrounded by Flyers fans...moved here from NYC. I was really worried about going to a game at Wachovia Center, but sucked it up for my birthday in March. After a horrible experience on Long Island for the playoffs a few years ago...I was really scared. I go to tons of Phillies games, been to soccer games at the new stadium in Chester etc.

The game in March was a totally awesome experience! First off, I am female, so maybe I won't get the same verbal teatment that a guy would...but I saw/heard non of that. The flyers fans were knowledgable, emotional and loud...they were fun. One fan came up to me to tell me how happy he was that we have a new owner that cares and that he loves the old logo etc...went on and on.

That being said...I am never, ever rude to fans in their arena.

If you show up, get drunk and act like an ass...you are in for an earful. I want to trek my Eagles fans friends up to Orchard Park in the fall for the game against the Bills...but I fear that the idiots at that asylum will embarrass me...they have in the past. You give a lot of beer to anyone and bad things ensue.

My advice, act the way you would like Flyers fans to act at HSBC Arena and you will be golden.

I appreciate the fact that they give a damn about hockey...cuz most US fans don't care. Philly is a great sports town...

I have seen the Sabres in NYC, Long Island, Hartford, NJ, Philly, Dallas and Chicago...best experience so far has been Philly.

Yea I think being a girl in this case is keeing you safe. I am not going to start anything and keep my mouth shut. Should be fun.

That's how it is 98% of the time. I mean, the guy in Philly was videotaping and drawing attention to himself. Even then most fans were laughing and jeering. If you stick your hand in the bees nest, prepare to get stung.

I've never had a problem in a hockey arena. I only had a problem once at a Dolphins/Bills game, but I was the only Bills fan in the section and was not quiet about it.

Where is this mythical place where Dolphins fans actually attend games?

Myself and my girlfriend are going also Saturday. I think we're also sitting in 219, although she has the tickets in her possession.

Anyways, this will be my fourth trip down there this year (preseason and both regular season games). I got a little bit of crap at the first regular season game to the point where I had had enough...turned around and told the guy to go ###### himself. They seemed shocked and just shut up the rest of the game. Like the other dude said that may have more to do with the fact I'm 6'4" and weigh around 230. After the game in March, not one Philly fan had anything to say. So I guess the key is to make sure the Sabres win Saturday ;)

This year alone I've been to games in: Jersey (2), Long Island (2), Philly (3), NYC (1 Sabres and 1 Blackhawks), and Chicago (1). Chicago was BY FAR the worst, although their arena is very nice. Jersey was the most pleasant, several random people just walked up to us during the intermissions and talked hockey. I've been to a couple games in Boston as well (remember that game Miller was caught out of the net, dove back into the crease and knocked the puck straight down to the ice with his stick? That game! I put the video below), and they were quite nice also. Some good natured "booing" and the like but nothing malicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwnnpv_2K4

I've been to a couple games in Boston as well (remember that game Miller was caught out of the net, dove back into the crease and knocked the puck straight down to the ice with his stick? That game! I put the video below), and they were quite nice also. Some good natured "booing" and the like but nothing malicious.

hey, i was there, too! nice.

Archived