Enemy Territory

mediumishot

Hey guys,

So in an effort to see my Sabres this playoff season, I am roadtripping to Philly for Game 2. Now I live in Baltimore but will be visiting my family in Buffalo so we will be leaving from there.

My question is...am i nuts? I have heard horror stories from this place and my buddies and I are a touch nervous. I was there 2 years ago for a regular season game and got beer tossed on me. Im not loud, obnoxius, or wasted. I cheer my team and sit back down. Im just curious if anyone was there in 01 or 06 that could give me some advice.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

I ALMOST decided to go as well but my plans fell through because people kept saying maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZUtEeTKCk0&feature=player_embedded

Would have been fun!

Yea I got a bunch of my sabres buddies in bmore to join in...tix are super cheap and still available...maybe cause intead of rally towels they pass out ralley shanks...i dont know. The good news is one of my buddies is 6' 7" 270 so I think we may not get hassled too much.

I ALMOST decided to go as well but my plans fell through because people kept saying maybe.

Would have been fun!

... If sabres fans ever act like this I will be so ashamed that I may never route for my team again. Seriously poor taste philly fans. Go to Philly and behave with your friends that way when the douches come here we will be nice as can be and they will look douchie. Its at the end of the day a game and people should not be cursed out and almost beat up for supporting their team, even if you were a Islanders, philly, leafs, bruins, or sens fan... :oops:

... If sabres fans ever act like this I will be so ashamed that I may never route for my team again. Seriously poor taste philly fans. Go to Philly and behave with your friends that way when the douches come here we will be nice as can be and they will look douchie. Its at the end of the day a game and people should not be cursed out and almost beat up for supporting their team, even if you were a Islanders, philly, leafs, bruins, or sens fan... :oops:

Did you happen to go to any games from say....January - June 2007?

Did you happen to go to any games from say....January - June 2007?

actually yea and I didnt see the sabres fans doing that and if thats what you are about to tell me then SHAME ON THEM. Its a sport you do not have to swear at people and be inhospitable. Isnt this the "An All America City"?

Actually i sat to some Sens fans one game and Alfredson flipped them a puck. I talked to them about how cool that was. They gave me their pizza hut ticket coupon things. They were quite nice and we discussed how the sens were better that year then the one before. See other fans should be treated nice.

Would have been fun!

Hahahahahahaha how do these people live with themselves??

Edit: I'm sure it doesn't apply to ALL Flyers fans, and I'm sure it applies to some Sabres fans, too. In fact, I imagine that one guy in the video to be Drunkard's lost brother.

actually yea and I didnt see the sabres fans doing that and if thats what you are about to tell me then SHAME ON THEM. Its a sport you do not have to swear at people and be inhospitable. Isnt this the "An All America City"?

Actually i sat to some Sens fans one game and Alfredson flipped them a puck. I talked to them about how cool that was. They gave me their pizza hut ticket coupon things. They were quite nice and we discussed how the sens were better that year then the one before. See other fans should be treated nice.

Well, I saw a lot of sick mob mentality. It really turned me off and made me question what was going on. There was a couple in their 30's who were not the most socially adjusted let's say. It was a Sharks game I think, a team we never play and not many fans are around. The guy was wearing a jersey and there was a little goofing on him out in the halls between periods....and they just smiled. Then some Sabre fans started amping it up. Saying nasty stuff, and almost like a junior high scene, took the guy's hat off. I was in line for a beer, and a couple older fans and women were saying to leave them alone, but by now they had an audience of 30 or so people laughing at them as the stooges became emboldened. I came over and said to knock it off, but I was sort of shocked at what was happening. A security usher came over and pretty much everyone went on their way without a problem, but that was 1 of many things I saw that year wwhich I was ashamed of. That sort of tone is sort of bubbling up now, but in all honesty i can't see this team making a real run to get to that point again.

Now I know Philly is the worst of the worst for that stuff. I was 12 and had a Sabres jersey on there and I vividly remember getting sworn at coming up an escelator at the food court of a mall. I just laughed because it was in good spirits....but Philly is not a friendly place at times. I just was not happy with Buffalo fans back in '07. It was a little scary in all honesty.

You sound a bit like a Caniac. Looked like me that outside the guy with Moobs in the A&F shirt the fans were just having fun and a Hawks fan recording them is going to rile any crowd up. Did you notice the people on the escalator he is holding up just smiling or the guy talking to him about how great the series was right before the drunk chick? I wish the Hot Sauce Bleu Cheese Arena was a bit more like the WFC. No opposing team's fans have ever said, "I'm a little bit nervous about going to HSBC."

You sound a bit like a Caniac. Looked like me that outside the guy with Moobs in the A&F shirt the fans were just having fun and a Hawks fan recording them is going to rile any crowd up. Did you notice the people on the escalator he is holding up just smiling or the guy talking to him about how great the series was right before the drunk chick? I wish the Hot Sauce Bleu Cheese Arena was a bit more like the WFC. No opposing team's fans have ever said, "I'm a little bit nervous about going to HSBC."

Yay I applaud the guy at the end who was trying to talk hockey with him. Its not all philly fans at all and we sabres fans should also behave. And I despise the canes. 05-06 will forever burn in my veins until we win a cup and maybe even after that.

Would have been fun!

I particularly like the guy at the end who can't even figure out that when you put your hand up in front of your forehead to form a taunting "L", you use your RIGHT HAND, idiot.

Guess that's what you get with 3 years of school and an IQ of 71.

That blonde there must be proud of herself too.

I particularly like the guy at the end who can't even figure out that when you put your hand up in front of your forehead to form a taunting "L", you use your RIGHT HAND, idiot.

Guess that's what you get with 3 years of school and an IQ of 71.

That blonde there must be proud of herself too.

That guy had some tits on em.Philly is full of tits...wait :wallbash:

StubHub has tickets for under $70 for games 1 & 2. WTF? I thought Philly fans were more rabid. Game tickets in Buffalo are averaging $150.

PTR

They also have the Phillies right now and Sixers playoffs start next week. South Philly is pretty busy these days.

Hey guys,

So in an effort to see my Sabres this playoff season, I am roadtripping to Philly for Game 2. Now I live in Baltimore but will be visiting my family in Buffalo so we will be leaving from there.

My question is...am i nuts? I have heard horror stories from this place and my buddies and I are a touch nervous. I was there 2 years ago for a regular season game and got beer tossed on me. Im not loud, obnoxius, or wasted. I cheer my team and sit back down. Im just curious if anyone was there in 01 or 06 that could give me some advice.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

I'm heading up there as well from Baltimore with 2 friends and meeting with a 4th in Philly. Were in section 219A. Go Sabres!!!

Hey guys,

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Good luck guys! My 2 cents - just don't provoke them to make it worse... smile and walk away. Stay away from flyer fan crowds in the parking lot.

In 2006 I went to an Islanders game when we played them in the first round and boy it was pretty bad. My wife and I were there and a bunch of other Sabres fans were in front of us. But the folks behind us were all Islander fans and this moron kept kicking my seat and swearing at us. And they even threw beer at the guys in front of us....very classy fans.

But Philly is probably at a whole different level of classiness :)

Well, I saw a lot of sick mob mentality. It really turned me off and made me question what was going on. There was a couple in their 30's who were not the most socially adjusted let's say. It was a Sharks game I think, a team we never play and not many fans are around. The guy was wearing a jersey and there was a little goofing on him out in the halls between periods....and they just smiled. Then some Sabre fans started amping it up. Saying nasty stuff, and almost like a junior high scene, took the guy's hat off. I was in line for a beer, and a couple older fans and women were saying to leave them alone, but by now they had an audience of 30 or so people laughing at them as the stooges became emboldened. I came over and said to knock it off, but I was sort of shocked at what was happening. A security usher came over and pretty much everyone went on their way without a problem, but that was 1 of many things I saw that year wwhich I was ashamed of. That sort of tone is sort of bubbling up now, but in all honesty i can't see this team making a real run to get to that point again.

Now I know Philly is the worst of the worst for that stuff. I was 12 and had a Sabres jersey on there and I vividly remember getting sworn at coming up an escelator at the food court of a mall. I just laughed because it was in good spirits....but Philly is not a friendly place at times. I just was not happy with Buffalo fans back in '07. It was a little scary in all honesty.

I think every sold-out, playoff crowd in every hockey arena is more or less the same. There are going to be plenty of meatheads, including a number of drunks and sociopaths.

Bottom line: if you're a fan of the visiting team, there is a risk of getting hassled in every arena. This risk declines as the seats get lower down.

My best advice would be to have good directions. DON'T ask Philly fans for any, and if you have to, go the opposite way that they tell you. They are evil people and as i read earlier, DON'T provoke them or make things worse. Bite ur tongue and/or walk away...

Archived