Pegula's comments to the Buffalo News

Jerry Jabber

In Terry Pegula's first meeting with the Buffalo News, he told the media that (something along these terms) "Maybe the team is playing bad, because of what you're saying about them". My stance on it was that Mr. Pegula wanted to show the team that he has their backs no matter what, while there were some on here that flipped out over this and wanted Pegula strung up and shipped out of town already. Well, look at the difference in the team since Terry bought the team on Feb 22nd: 15-4-4 record (best in the NHL, during that timespan), the Sabres are now in the playoffs sitting at 7th in the East (with the possibility of moving up to 6th), when they were 10th in the Conference when Peg's took over. I'm sure I could go on about the new carpet in the locker room, bringing the alumni etc...

But for those that flipped out over Peg's statement to the news, are you still mad that he said that? I still stand by my stance that Peg's wanted to show the team he has their backs.

In Terry Pegula's first meeting with the Buffalo News, he told the media that (something along these terms) "Maybe the team is playing bad, because of what you're saying about them". My stance on it was that Mr. Pegula wanted to show the team that he has their backs no matter what, while there were some on here that flipped out over this and wanted Pegula strung up and shipped out of town already. Well, look at the difference in the team since Terry bought the team on Feb 22nd: 15-4-4 record (best in the NHL, during that timespan), the Sabres are now in the playoffs sitting at 7th in the East (with the possibility of moving up to 6th), when they were 10th in the Conference when Peg's took over. I'm sure I could go on about the new carpet in the locker room, bringing the alumni etc...

But for those that flipped out over Peg's statement to the news, are you still mad that he said that? I still stand by my stance that Peg's wanted to show the team he has their backs.

I thought at the time and continue to think it was an old negotiator's ploy. Say something shocking. It had the News backpedaling and defending how they weren't overly negative. He set the early tone. They eventually recovered their composure and fought back. But he had them off balance early. I believed then and believe now, it was a ploy

I heard on NHL on the Fly today, the "Pegula Push". I like that!

I liked Pegs right away for standing behind his players, some of the best owners in sports never talk :censored: about their players.

It's hard not to see the effect TP is having. And Jerry Sullivan, and to a lesser degree Bucky Gleason, must be realizing their snarky act isn't go to pass for journalism anymore. If Pegula bought into the "clean house" mentality we'd be back at square one. Just maybe those people who he spoke to about Lindy and Darcy knew what they were talking about. Even in Bucky's last chat he was still campaigning to fire Regier, citing among his many sins "he loves his players too much." Well those players are responding to the Pegula Push and Gleason is looking like a hack.

PTR

It's hard not to see the effect TP is having. And Jerry Sullivan, and to a lesser degree Bucky Gleason, must be realizing their snarky act isn't go to pass for journalism anymore. If Pegula bought into the "clean house" mentality we'd be back at square one. Just maybe those people who he spoke to about Lindy and Darcy knew what they were talking about. Even in Bucky's last chat he was still campaigning to fire Regier, citing among his many sins "he loves his players too much." Well those players are responding to the Pegula Push and Gleason is looking like a hack.

PTR

Absolutely. Though I don't know if JS, BG, or the 550 crew know what their role actually is. The comment in Gleasons article today about being a homer is just cheese. As much as I don't need over negativity, I don't need gushing over the team either. The Gators rule the air here in G'ville, but you don't hear either ends of this spectrum. You hear objective reporting with a perspective (positive or negative), allowing for good solid debate. BTW, we have access to 3 sports radio stations, and NONE of them sound like the hacks on GR. At least part of Buffalo journalism needs the lines re-drawn for them.

As for last night and the changes to the team, that's for us. As fans we deserve the chance to be over-negative, to be homers, to call in and b*tch, gripe, gush.....do as we choose. We are the fans, not them.

PTR

Careful there. "Square one" could easily be defined as losing in the first round. This playoff push, as scintillating as it was, will be quickly forgotten. That's the nature of sports.

If Pegula is for real, status quo (mediocrity) will not be tolerated.

Here's my counter.

If people want to be patted on the back for loving Pegula right off the bat and all the great stuff he has done in 5 weeks....great. If you want to say this Sabres team has something special...great.

But then, please do me a favor.

Admit that this team was a heartless skeleton the past 3 3/4 years who couldn't give 2 $#!*$ and the ownership was only out to pad their checkbooks off of the people of Buffalo.

You can't have it both ways. You can't complain when people have taken a negative and critical approach to this organization if you are now saying everything is great. That means things were not great, or even just plain sucked. Those that have been critical have been dodging rotten tomatoes for the better part of 4 years and many of the same people praising Pegula and the team now, have done so all along. It's a lot easier to live in denial and keep a smile on than face problems head on.

I'm happy the team is doing well. I don't think they could have come back last night if it was any of the previous years. There still are long term questions to be answered. This has been a boost of emotion and momentum, and other than some emerging young talent, many of the same cast of characters is still on board. Usually the first trip to AA for a drunk, doesn't get it done.

Pegula saying what he said is an oxymoron. If people being critical of the team that they are soft, heartless and disinterested is the reason they played poorly.......and they have suddenly improved because of some Depach Chopra positive thinking.....then guess what....THEY WERE SOFT, HEARTLESS, AND DISINTERESTED!

Like a good Union negotiator, I'll stroke you for the last 5 weeks if you give me my accrued strokes for the past 4 years. We call it even and all move on as one big happy family.

This is not aimed right at you JJ....just the idea of being critical as being a bad thing.....sadly in real life, we all can't work for $4 billion owners who can fly in half of Saskatchewan on a private jet. We deal with real world problems on a daily basis and have to think our way out of problems. If someone isn't pulling their weight, you call them on it.

I hope this is a Disney Movie for the city. I am holstering my guns for the playoffs for the common good. It doesn't mean I'm closing my eyes or shutting down my brain.

Here's my counter.

If people want to be patted on the back for loving Pegula right off the bat and all the great stuff he has done in 5 weeks....great. If you want to say this Sabres team has something special...great.

Admit that this team was a heartless skeleton the past 3 3/4 years who couldn't give 2 $#!*$ and the ownership was only out to pad their checkbooks off of the people of Buffalo.

You can't have it both ways. You can't complain when people have taken a negative and critical approach to this organization if you are now saying everything is great. ........

Do you have a newsletter? I would like to order a subscription to your newsletter.

:worthy:

Careful there. "Square one" could easily be defined as losing in the first round. This playoff push, as scintillating as it was, will be quickly forgotten. That's the nature of sports.

If Pegula is for real, status quo (mediocrity) will not be tolerated.

I don't know about this. The way the team has rallied from a terrible deficit in December, it's a success (in my eyes) to come back and make the playoffs. If were out round 1 then so be it. Let's continue to build this team in the offseason. We have some franchise cornerstones in place. Let's add and next season is looking very bright. I for one am just going to enjoy the ride of the playoffs. It feels good being the underdog and not having the immense pressure to win. I seemed to feel that in last years playoffs and this one I'm just going to enjoy.

Here's my counter.

You can't have it both ways. You can't complain when people have taken a negative and critical approach to this organization if you are now saying everything is great. That means things were not great, or even just plain sucked. Those that have been critical have been dodging rotten tomatoes for the better part of 4 years and many of the same people praising Pegula and the team now, have done so all along. It's a lot easier to live in denial and keep a smile on than face problems head on.

I'm happy the team is doing well. I don't think they could have come back last night if it was any of the previous years. There still are long term questions to be answered. This has been a boost of emotion and momentum, and other than some emerging young talent, many of the same cast of characters is still on board. Usually the first trip to AA for a drunk, doesn't get it done.

Pegula saying what he said is an oxymoron. If people being critical of the team that they are soft, heartless and disinterested is the reason they played poorly.......and they have suddenly improved because of some Depach Chopra positive thinking.....then guess what....THEY WERE SOFT, HEARTLESS, AND DISINTERESTED!

Like a good Union negotiator, I'll stroke you for the last 5 weeks if you give me my accrued strokes for the past 4 years. We call it even and all move on as one big happy family.

This is not aimed right at you JJ....just the idea of being critical as being a bad thing.....sadly in real life, we all can't work for $4 billion owners who can fly in half of Saskatchewan on a private jet. We deal with real world problems on a daily basis and have to think our way out of problems. If someone isn't pulling their weight, you call them on it.

I hope this is a Disney Movie for the city. I am holstering my guns for the playoffs for the common good. It doesn't mean I'm closing my eyes or shutting down my brain.

What is it the kids say these days?... Rep!

Thanks guys. I understand a fan mentality that wants to support their team at all costs, but if everyone abandoned this team with their pocketbooks 2 years earlier, Pegula probably would have been here then....when he was first rebuffed. All I ever wanted to do was give some insight into how certain personalities think and act when money, jobs, and appearance are on the line. I've always loved this city and I've always loved sports. There would be nothing more fun than to finally get the monkey off our backs and shut down Erie county for 3 days after a victory parade.

If anything, the media wasn't critical enough of this organization. Some of the guys got it. Bucky asked some tough questions....Paul Hamilton combined hockey knowledge and common sense the past few years to question many things even though he indirectly gets funded by the Sabres. Sully was Sully, but his lack of hockey knowledge hurt his chances to be taken seriously. I know many local media browse this forum....they can't help it. It's a small passionate town, it's their job, and they are fans at some level. While I enjoy writing here as a form of entertainment and keeping sharp, I would harp on certain issues in hopes some of these guys would dig deeper or have the courage to say some of the things that needed to be said. At the end of the day, at least the Sabres are in secure, honest, and passionate hands. That's all I really wanted. I'm sure that's what a lot of us wanted who have been critical over the years.

Now instead of bickering, we can all focus on the pure aspects of the game. When you are under a corrupt system, it isn't even worth analyzing the little things because it doesn't really matter. The game is rigged, and position your assets accordingly.....away from that system. Now that the old system has efeectively been blown up at the top, my only concern is many of the same people are still on board. I think Darcy Regier is nice guy and Lindy Ruff is a capable coach who can turn up his game at this time of year...if he really believes. I hope that my firm opinion of their long term chances turns out to be too critical. I've been wrong on major things in the past that have taken me ages to clean up. But I have also been right about things that have allowed me to live pressure free and to always give my honest opinion because I am not accountable to anyone on this side of eternity. That's what I would like to see from my leadership as well. Don't half ass it.

Thanks for letting me sound off as I am sure many here have been frustrated by conflict and tension of opposing viewpoints. There are dozens of quality posters here, and from the sounds of it, quality people as well. Thanks to Scott for being man enough not to run me off in the past when even he may have thought about it. Nobody should ever take anything too personal here....or for that matter, in life in general. Hopefully hockey proves to be a fun distraction from the everyday pressure that just seems to be mounting on everyone.....and I am sorry to those who may have not understood where I was coming from in the past, where I may have dampened you distractionary pleasure.

Now, enjoy the rest of your show.......

Beggars can't be choosers. Given that the team was bankrupt and in danger of moving, asking for anything more than simply the team staying in Buffalo under Golsano was asking too much. And if you were hoping for more than 4 playoff seasons in 7 years, including 2 ECF appearances and winning the NE division last year and making the playoffs this year, then you aren't dealing in the real world.

Be thankful a) Golisano stepped-up, bought the team, kept them in Buffalo, and rejected offers that would have paid him tens of millions more to move the team, and b) that Pegula bought the team and looks like a dream owner. If you want assurances, again, you're not dealing in the real world.

Thanks for letting me sound off as I am sure many here have been frustrated by conflict and tension of opposing viewpoints. There are dozens of quality posters here, and from the sounds of it, quality people as well. Thanks to Scott for being man enough not to run me off in the past when even he may have thought about it. Nobody should ever take anything too personal here....or for that matter, in life in general. Hopefully hockey proves to be a fun distraction from the everyday pressure that just seems to be mounting on everyone.....and I am sorry to those who may have not understood where I was coming from in the past, where I may have dampened you distractionary pleasure.

Quality post DD.

I agree with almost all of your posts but in this case it's tough to argue with the teams record prior to and post Pegula Day.

The Sabres went on a 13-4-2 run starting with a Dec 28th win against Edmonton -- long before any of the Pegula talk was official. Then they went on a three-game losing streak (two of which were lost by just one goal) before rebounding with a win on Pegula day, and going 15-4-4 from then on out. Whatever cataclysmic change occurred that set this team straight happened long before the Pegula sale was approved. It may very well have been Roy going down that really sparked the team, whether it's because he is some sort of "locker room cancer" or if it was just the wake up call needed by the team to realize "hey, we can't depend on Roy all season. it's time for ME to get ###### done."

don't get me wrong, i love terry pegula and the direction he appears to be taking the organization. i give him 5 stars, 10-out-of-10, A+ on his job so far. I just think it's a little unfair to give him so much credit for the team's turnaround. this is a team that was built from the ground up by GOLISANO and Regier. (Boyes was a nice addition.) they got off to an uncharacteristic start and turned it around mid-season. it had nothing to do with Terry Pegula, the guys just got it together and started playing the way we knew they could.

It's especially unfair to the players. Think back to December when DeLuca foresaw the future and had 90% of the board brainwashed that the Sabres couldn't mathematically make playoffs -- do you think, now that the Sabres have clinched 7th or higher, that DeLuca will finally admit the Sabres have a good group of players and are a solid team? NFW. Of course not. DeLuca will give 1000% of the credit to "Terry Pegula re-energizing the organization" yada yada yada.

I'll say that the ownership change made have had a small effect on some players. A guy like Ryan Miller could benefit from hearing Pegula say he would dish out the money to build a contender, but besides a handful of games, Miller didn't play that much better under Pegula until the last 3-4 games before he got injured. I find it tough to imagine guys like Grier, Hecht, Gaustad, and Niedermayer being "excited" over the promises Pegula made when at least three of those four players would be towards the top of the "Guys to Replace" list. And guys like Myers, Ennis, Gerbe, Weber, Butler, Sekera -- theyve barely gotten their feet wet within the organization, I don't think the ownership change really effects them one way or another. Yeah it's probably cool with all the media hype and yada yada surrounding it, but it seems like it would just be more of a distraction than anything as a young player trying to earn a roster spot.

anyway, hate on. i'm just saying two things. first, if the Sabres win the stanley cup this year, Golisano's name should go on the cup (or in the record book or w/e, idk if team owners go on the cup) along with Pegula, and secondly, i'll be 100x more proud of the players wearing the jerseys and playing the game than i will be proud of our "savior" owner pegula.

next year can be his team.

The Sabres went on a 13-4-2 run starting with a Dec 28th win against Edmonton -- long before any of the Pegula talk was official. Then they went on a three-game losing streak (two of which were lost by just one goal) before rebounding with a win on Pegula day, and going 15-4-4 from then on out. Whatever cataclysmic change occurred that set this team straight happened long before the Pegula sale was approved. It may very well have been Roy going down that really sparked the team, whether it's because he is some sort of "locker room cancer" or if it was just the wake up call needed by the team to realize "hey, we can't depend on Roy all season. it's time for ME to get ###### done."

don't get me wrong, i love terry pegula and the direction he appears to be taking the organization. i give him 5 stars, 10-out-of-10, A+ on his job so far. I just think it's a little unfair to give him so much credit for the team's turnaround. this is a team that was built from the ground up by GOLISANO and Regier. (Boyes was a nice addition.) they got off to an uncharacteristic start and turned it around mid-season. it had nothing to do with Terry Pegula, the guys just got it together and started playing the way we knew they could.

It's especially unfair to the players. Think back to December when DeLuca foresaw the future and had 90% of the board brainwashed that the Sabres couldn't mathematically make playoffs -- do you think, now that the Sabres have clinched 7th or higher, that DeLuca will finally admit the Sabres have a good group of players and are a solid team? NFW. Of course not. DeLuca will give 1000% of the credit to "Terry Pegula re-energizing the organization" yada yada yada.

I'll say that the ownership change made have had a small effect on some players. A guy like Ryan Miller could benefit from hearing Pegula say he would dish out the money to build a contender, but besides a handful of games, Miller didn't play that much better under Pegula until the last 3-4 games before he got injured. I find it tough to imagine guys like Grier, Hecht, Gaustad, and Niedermayer being "excited" over the promises Pegula made when at least three of those four players would be towards the top of the "Guys to Replace" list. And guys like Myers, Ennis, Gerbe, Weber, Butler, Sekera -- theyve barely gotten their feet wet within the organization, I don't think the ownership change really effects them one way or another. Yeah it's probably cool with all the media hype and yada yada surrounding it, but it seems like it would just be more of a distraction than anything as a young player trying to earn a roster spot.

anyway, hate on. i'm just saying two things. first, if the Sabres win the stanley cup this year, Golisano's name should go on the cup (or in the record book or w/e, idk if team owners go on the cup) along with Pegula, and secondly, i'll be 100x more proud of the players wearing the jerseys and playing the game than i will be proud of our "savior" owner pegula.

When you're not stoned, you're incredibly articulate and coherent. It's only 3:20 though. :nana:

I wouldn't discount the Pegula factor. There are mysteries in the world we don't understand. The idea of a burst of psychic energy flowing from the energized masses onto the ice is intriguing. Pegula and Black and Crosschecking would probably call it the Power of Prayer, which might have some scientific basis.

So what all of team negative is saying is that some of this rebound has to be credited to Lindy? Interesting.......... :beer:

Lindy can be fun at this time of year if he is loose and being a smartass. He needs to really believe himself. Given much of the past 4 years he looked like he ate 3 blocks of cheddar the night before and was bound tighter than the feet of a second born Chinese daughter......maybe he likes these guys.

The cynic in me says he just signed his extension, but he was happy with the Olympic team, so it is possible for him to smile past a 190 degree angle.

Very well thought out post. That's why I enjoy reading your posts. I agree that the turnaround did happen prior to the official announcement. Since that time I feel like the players are responding well to Pegs going into the dressing room pre and post game and interacting with the players on a day to day personal level. Either way, what a ride and the future may have never looked brighter.

Lindy can be fun at this time of year if he is loose and being a smartass. He needs to really believe himself. Given much of the past 4 years he looked like he ate 3 blocks of cheddar the night before and was bound tighter than the feet of a second born Chinese daughter......maybe he likes these guys.

The cynic in me says he just signed his extension, but he was happy with the Olympic team, so it is possible for him to smile past a 190 degree angle.

Speaking of funny Lindy did anyone hear the F bombs dropped in the third. GR cut out but I clearly heard. "Ok now boys lets get ###### going!". Not sure if it was the whiskey haired dreamboat or not. Thought it was though.

Archived