Pegula's comments to the Buffalo News

Jerry Jabber

When you're not stoned, you're incredibly articulate and coherent. It's only 3:20 though. :nana:

I wouldn't discount the Pegula factor. There are mysteries in the world we don't understand. The idea of a burst of psychic energy flowing from the energized masses onto the ice is intriguing. Pegula and Black and Crosschecking would probably call it the Power of Prayer, which might have some scientific basis.

Well how did we turn it around??

The league of super haters would make us believe the following........

1) Our new owner doesn't care how bad are players are.

2) Our players don't care and can't score, play D or check.

3) Our coach is useless.

4) Miller is a terrible and everyone on the team hates him

5) Our GM is terrible, that he can't find talent.

6) That all hater sports writers know more then anyone in the Sabres coaching staff or front office.

So how did we make the playoffs? How did we do it? We must be terrible, we must suck.......... :censored:

Or perhaps the league of super haters just likes hating??????

My take on it................. :rolleyes:

1) Pegs wants Buffalo to be a top notch classy organization, and the players believe him. Sabre Pride is back!

2) Our players do care, they can score goals, I still think we can play better D.

3) Get this Lindy is a very good coach, that the entire league respects. Crappy coaches don't get asked to help out with Team Canada. Lindy tries different things and is doing his best to get the most out of his players, young and old.

4) Miller is a very good goal tender and he is going to prove it in these playoffs. We also have great back up now, I like Enroth as well.

5) Our GM is not terrible, he has drafted talent. Three AHL rookie of the years in a row, and two of those guys had great years for the Sabres. We also have a bunch of younger players coming up and the future does look bright for the Sabres.

6) Haters hate and like to pontificate about all that they know. This post is not aimed at the ghost of DD, because in some of his posts you can actually tell that he likes the Sabres.

The Sabres went on a 13-4-2 run starting with a Dec 28th win against Edmonton -- long before any of the Pegula talk was official. Then they went on a three-game losing streak (two of which were lost by just one goal) before rebounding with a win on Pegula day, and going 15-4-4 from then on out. Whatever cataclysmic change occurred that set this team straight happened long before the Pegula sale was approved.

This. Pegs' impact will theoretically be felt after the season, i.e. in FO and player moves.

3) Our coach is useless.

6) That all hater sports writers know more then anyone in the Sabres coaching staff or front office.

So how did we make the playoffs? How did we do it? We must be terrible, we must suck.......... :censored:

1) Pegs wants Buffalo to be a top notch classy organization, and the players believe him. Sabre Pride is back!

2) Our players do care, they can score goals, I still think we can play better D.

3) Get this Lindy is a very good coach, that the entire league respects. Crappy coaches don't get asked to help out with Team Canada. Lindy tries different things and is doing his best to get the most out of his players, young and old.

4) Miller is a very good goal tender and he is going to prove it in these playoffs. We also have great back up now, I like Enroth as well.

5) Our GM is not terrible, he has drafted talent. Three AHL rookie of the years in a row, and two of those guys had great years for the Sabres. We also have a bunch of younger players coming up and the future does look bright for the Sabres.

6) Haters hate and like to pontificate about all that they know. This post is not aimed at the ghost of DD, because in some of his posts you can actually tell that he likes the Sabres.

An "I told you so" post. Interesting timing. Is this because, deep down, you know this is the last chance you'll have to write it?

3) Our coach is useless.

Who are these haters that you speak of. I read many if not all of the relevant posts or at least have read numerous posts from most of the characters on this board and to term anyone a 'hater' because they believe that improvements can be made or that perhaps things aren't running as smoothly as they could be is immature. Nobody wants this team to fail. We all want this team to be as good as it can be. Is this team as it stands right now perfect? I believe not. Does it have certain warts or deficiencies that could be improved on? I believe so. Do you think for a minute that Darcy Regier or Lindey Ruff or Terry Pegula don't question every day who could be retained or let go or aquired to improve this team? I guess they would fit in with your league of haters then. As a fan who has invested about 35 years of my time and money into this team I have the right to ask questions as well. I'm behind 'my' team 100% but that doesn't blind me to the fact that despite this glorious little run they have been on, they do have needs. Now and in the future. Regardless, GO SABRES-KICK SOME FLYER BUTT!

Who are these haters that you speak of. I read many if not all of the relevant posts or at least have read numerous posts from most of the characters on this board and to term anyone a 'hater' because they believe that improvements can be made or that perhaps things aren't running as smoothly as they could be is immature. Nobody wants this team to fail. We all want this team to be as good as it can be. Is this team as it stands right now perfect? I believe not. Does it have certain warts or deficiencies that could be improved on? I believe so. Do you think for a minute that Darcy Regier or Lindey Ruff or Terry Pegula don't question every day who could be retained or let go or aquired to improve this team? I guess they would fit in with your league of haters then. As a fan who has invested about 35 years of my time and money into this team I have the right to ask questions as well. I'm behind 'my' team 100% but that doesn't blind me to the fact that despite this glorious little run they have been on, they do have needs. Now and in the future. Regardless, GO SABRES-KICK SOME FLYER BUTT!

Don't waste your energy. It is easier for *some* to belittle and mock instead of actually engaging in thoughtful, intelligent discussion. It's the lazy, easy way out. Hmmmmm. kind of like management style over the last 10 years or so.

Admit that this team was a heartless skeleton the past 3 3/4 years who couldn't give 2 $#!*$ and the ownership was only out to pad their checkbooks off of the people of Buffalo.

If people being critical of the team that they are soft, heartless and disinterested is the reason they played poorly.......and they have suddenly improved because of some Depach Chopra positive thinking.....then guess what....THEY WERE SOFT, HEARTLESS, AND DISINTERESTED!

Like a good Union negotiator, I'll stroke you for the last 5 weeks if you give me my accrued strokes for the past 4 years. We call it even and all move on as one big happy family.

Well written (and entertaining) as always, but perhaps a little too black-and-white. I don't think ALL of them were soft and heartless before, or that they're the 2nd coming of Mark Messier now. I also don't think DR and LR were bozos before and geniuses now. For that matter, I don't think TG and LQ were greedy and evil and only in it for the $$.

The team is a group of human beings, many of whom now have more money than they or their parents ever dreamed of. For most people in that situation, in order to make the sacrifices needed to win in the NHL, they really have to believe in the cause. I think the message received by the players from the top based on last summer's inactivity was that ownership/management wasn't trying to win -- and I think the natural reaction for a player in that situation is to take one's foot off the gas, even if it's a subconscious decision. Conversely, when TP zoomed in on the learjet and told everyone to jump on for the ride to the Cup, the enthusiasm and adrenaline kicked in and it made a big difference.

As for TG/LQ, while the Sabres' payroll demonstrates to me that they weren't in it for the year-over-year profit, and they did a terrific and commendable job in stabilizing the team, once that phase was over it does seem like they hurt more than they helped. Also, my sense is that they had somewhat different agendas. TG was fine with buying the team when he was still living here and considering running for office, as long as it didn't lose millions of dollars per year. Once he moved away and the opportunity to cash out presented itself, he wasn't interested in doing anything that could screw up the deal. LQ didn't have any money invested, but he liked being a local bigshot and a fantasy/reality GM. Both of those 2 agendas conflicted at critical crossroad decision points with DR's team-building plans, with disastrous results.

Lindy can be fun at this time of year if he is loose and being a smartass. He needs to really believe himself. Given much of the past 4 years he looked like he ate 3 blocks of cheddar the night before and was bound tighter than the feet of a second born Chinese daughter......maybe he likes these guys.

The cynic in me says he just signed his extension, but he was happy with the Olympic team, so it is possible for him to smile past a 190 degree angle.

This run has to be making him happy (and vindicated). Also, perhaps I'm just being overly optimistic, but I think he thinks his team is built better for the playoffs this year than it was last year.

3) Our coach is useless.

+1

Here's my counter.

If people want to be patted on the back for loving Pegula right off the bat and all the great stuff he has done in 5 weeks....great. If you want to say this Sabres team has something special...great.

But then, please do me a favor.

Admit that this team was a heartless skeleton the past 3 3/4 years who couldn't give 2 $#!*$ and the ownership was only out to pad their checkbooks off of the people of Buffalo.

You can't have it both ways. You can't complain when people have taken a negative and critical approach to this organization if you are now saying everything is great. That means things were not great, or even just plain sucked. Those that have been critical have been dodging rotten tomatoes for the better part of 4 years and many of the same people praising Pegula and the team now, have done so all along. It's a lot easier to live in denial and keep a smile on than face problems head on.

I'm happy the team is doing well. I don't think they could have come back last night if it was any of the previous years. There still are long term questions to be answered. This has been a boost of emotion and momentum, and other than some emerging young talent, many of the same cast of characters is still on board. Usually the first trip to AA for a drunk, doesn't get it done.

Pegula saying what he said is an oxymoron. If people being critical of the team that they are soft, heartless and disinterested is the reason they played poorly.......and they have suddenly improved because of some Depach Chopra positive thinking.....then guess what....THEY WERE SOFT, HEARTLESS, AND DISINTERESTED!

Like a good Union negotiator, I'll stroke you for the last 5 weeks if you give me my accrued strokes for the past 4 years. We call it even and all move on as one big happy family.

This is not aimed right at you JJ....just the idea of being critical as being a bad thing.....sadly in real life, we all can't work for $4 billion owners who can fly in half of Saskatchewan on a private jet. We deal with real world problems on a daily basis and have to think our way out of problems. If someone isn't pulling their weight, you call them on it.

I hope this is a Disney Movie for the city. I am holstering my guns for the playoffs for the common good. It doesn't mean I'm closing my eyes or shutting down my brain.

Theres always gotta be that one ass*ole

An "I told you so" post. Interesting timing. Is this because, deep down, you know this is the last chance you'll have to write it?

I have had many post defending these positions and you know it....... :thumbsup:

When we beat the Flyers in the first round, can I repost it again?

I have had many post defending these positions and you know it....... :thumbsup:

When we beat the Flyers in the first round, can I repost it again?

It's an end of season post, that's all. To me, it feels like the real season is just starting.

Archived