Annual playoff beard thread

Assquatch

I'll start it by asking what you think about fans growing playoff beards.

Personally, I think it's quite silly for fans to grow them. That said, at the beginning of the '05-'06 playoffs a bunch of people at work were going to do it so I did too. I never shaved it. My wife loved it (less scratchy) and I like that it's lower maintenance than being clean-shaven.

Also, when is the appropriate time to start it? When your team clinches a spot? The morning after the last regular season game? The morning of the first playoff game?

If you grow one, post pictures of it! (except for you, chz - that's almost certainly against the TOS)

I'll start it by asking what you think about fans growing playoff beards.

Personally, I think it's quite silly for fans to grow them. That said, at the beginning of the '05-'06 playoffs a bunch of people at work were going to do it so I did too. I never shaved it. My wife loved it (less scratchy) and I like that it's lower maintenance than being clean-shaven.

Also, when is the appropriate time to start it? When your team clinches a spot? The morning after the last regular season game? The morning of the first playoff game?

If you grow one, post pictures of it! (except for you, chz - that's almost certainly against the TOS)

I have not looked this up but I always considered it the morning after the last regular season game.

I usually start mine the morning of the last regular season game. Usually since the playoffs coincide with the Spring Turkey Season in Pa the beard stays until after I get back from camp on the 14th of May. It looks terrible but I consider it my committment to the team.

I sport sideburns and a goatee with no mustache most of the year anyway. I can't stand having a mustache and the rest of my face scruff grows in patchy at best so there's not much difference for me, but I might shelve the mach 3 and deal with having a dirt squirrel on my upper lip if the feeling moves me. Haven't really thought about it yet.

It's not about the beard....it's about being grumpy and on edge.

If you're a real fan, you'll stop drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, having sex, and when your kid takes the last Coke out of the fridge, you elbow her to the kitchen floor before she opens the can.

That's what it's about and what the beard is supposed to represent. A beard itself ain't nuttin.

If you're a real fan, you'll stop drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, having sex, and when your kid takes the last Coke out of the fridge, you elbow her to the kitchen floor before she opens the can.

That's what it's about and what the beard is supposed to represent. A beard itself ain't nuttin.

Something between King Leonidis and old testament prophet is the right look.

I would say that I'm going to try to stick with the beard but if the Sabres make it deep into the playoffs it will have to go. Getting married at the end of May and I know that won't fly... or maybe it will.

I dunno depends if you want to get married on her or your terms.

I say start it off right on your terms which if you want to stay married long is really her terms so keep it right up to and then sacrifice the beard just for her because you love her so much :wub: so of course you can then later buy that first man toy you always wanted but couldn't afford on one salary :D (picture here; Harley, Boat, hunting camp, etc...)

I don't even....

what?

:blink:

I start mine morning after the last game and like wonderbread I also consider it a commitment to the team. It gets you involved and gives you a ritual if your team gets ousted,God forbid. The morning after you can shave it off and let go of all the disappointment and bitterness that no doubt lingers. Its a new beginning. I've already got the scroatee' growing so the beard will look sooo $hitty coming in. I especially hate the neck hair. :thumbdown:

I would say that I'm going to try to stick with the beard but if the Sabres make it deep into the playoffs it will have to go. Getting married at the end of May and I know that won't fly... or maybe it will.

I would skip it all together, if the Sabres are still playing in late May and then you shave, and then they lose.....how will you be able to live with yourself? If that happened and you were my friend, I would never forgive you. Marriages come and go, the Cup is forever, don't mess with the karma.

Ok, what should I do here? I usually grow one, but I'm probably be going for interviews (hopefully) in the coming months here and I'll have to shave to look moderately presentable. Should I just forgo the ritual this year? I don't want to be a jinx if I have to shave it mid run.

I have a bitchin' beard right now....but I don't know if I'm going to keep it or start fresh after the last game of the season. I'm going out Friday night after the game, so I might clean myself up for that, but who knows....maybe I'll just leave it.

Hear Hear!!! However, the beard adds an edge to the edginess!!

Archived