Lalime vs. Enroth

LabattBlue

Lalime(40 games the last 3 years)...9-26-5 23 POINTS

Enroth(12 games this season)...8-2-2 18 POINTS

It makes you wonder if a quality backup in 07-08(missed by 4 points) and 08-09(missed by 2 points) would have been enough to get the Sabres into the playoffs.

What are the odds Lindy messes up the backup goaltender situation again next season?

Would seem low, except you have to factor in Ryan's psyche, Lindy's history and the possibility (likelihood?) that Enroth has his own sophomore slump. We're probably only one bad start by Enroth next October away from same old-same old.

What are the odds Lindy messes up the backup goaltender situation again next season?

Would seem low, except you have to factor in Ryan's psyche, Lindy's history and the possibility (likelihood?) that Enroth has his own sophomore slump. We're probably only one bad start by Enroth next October away from same old-same old.

What are the odds DARCY messes up the backup goaltender situation and signs Lalime to a 12 year deal because he's Ryan's cuddle buddy ?

What are the odds DARCY messes up the backup goaltender situation and signs Lalime to a 12 year deal because he's Ryan's cuddle buddy ?

If Millsie just can't stand to be without his best bud, maybe they should fire Corsi and let Lalime be the goaltending coach. :)

07-08 can't really enter the discussion here since neither goalie was in the system at that point. Anyway, it's a factor, but it's not the entire story. The team itself factors into it quite a bit too. The better question about 08-09 may be why Tellqvist didn't get more time while he was here. That question brings the Lindy Ruff misuse of his goalies right back into the equation.

I have always felt that if you have two good goalies as we do currently you should start miller until he loses and then put in enroth. Maybe just because miller is so good you give him two losses before going to enroth. I know people will say well your not giving him enough time to get into it and on a roll but i think it would make each goalie play better and harder when they get their oppurtunity.

It makes you wonder if a quality backup in 07-08(missed by 4 points) and 08-09(missed by 2 points) would have been enough to get the Sabres into the playoffs.

I still say Lalime is better. [Ducks.]

I have always felt that if you have two good goalies as we do currently you should start miller until he loses and then put in enroth. Maybe just because miller is so good you give him two losses before going to enroth. I know people will say well your not giving him enough time to get into it and on a roll but i think it would make each goalie play better and harder when they get their oppurtunity.

With that philosophy, would you say play Enroth until HE loses?

Are there still Lalime apologists lurking around here?

If so, I do not know what to say

With that philosophy, would you say play Enroth until HE loses?

Easily there is no way i dont play the hot hand into the playoffs even for who Miller is. I dont really think of it as a Johnson Vs. Flutie scenario but I think if Enroth wins these last two games you should give him game one of the series and see what happens

07-08 can't really enter the discussion here since neither goalie was in the system at that point. Anyway, it's a factor, but it's not the entire story. The team itself factors into it quite a bit too. The better question about 08-09 may be why Tellqvist didn't get more time while he was here. That question brings the Lindy Ruff misuse of his goalies right back into the equation.

Tellqvist was only on the team for a month and played in 6 games ... and he was only on the team because of injury. He also never played in the league again, so I don't know that he an example one way or the other about how Lindy uses his backups.

I think with Lindy it is all about confidence, and Enroth is banking a lot of good games where one bad one early next season isn't going to nail him to the bench. The last (only?) backup Lindy trusted was Biron ... in 06-07, he played 19 of 62 games before he was traded. That's 25 games over an 82-game schedule, and I think we would all agree that is about right.

Did he mess it up this season?

It was pretty evident to me that Enroth was number 2 back in Nov. by design. Of course he was shelled by the Bruins in that game, but I think the idea was to keep Enroth worked and available.

Alarmingly high, unfortunately.

Is there any reason to believe Ruff will come up with a goaltending rotation that works?

Did he mess it up this season?

It was pretty evident to me that Enroth was number 2 back in Nov. by design. Of course he was shelled by the Bruins in that game, but I think the idea was to keep Enroth worked and available.

He was definitely part of the decision to bring Lalime back and then most of the decision that they couldn't trust him to start games. And I don't think it was a sure thing that Lalime had to end up as bad as he was.

He was definitely part of the decision to bring Lalime back and then most of the decision that they couldn't trust him to start games. And I don't think it was a sure thing that Lalime had to end up as bad as he was.

I've had the sense most of the year that Lalime was keeping the seat warm for Enroth.

Enroth did have 5 starts in Nov. (and a couple shaky ones..Lalime came in when Enroth was pulled in his first one)

Actually I don't think Patty was all that bad in Nov. I think he had two starts and gave up 5 goals.

Lalime has only had 4 starts this year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They never should have dealt away Noronen.

I liked Noronen. My memory has betrayed me patrially because I can't remember the circumstance (shootout, penalty shot, just even strength 5 on 5) but I remember Mika making a crazy save where he was laying flat on his chest and out of the play and he just bent his leg upwards and kicked the puck out of the air. It was awesome. Must have been early in 05-06, possibly while Miller was injured.

Jocelyn Thibault was here on 07-08, and went 3-4-2 for 8 points, bit I think the wins were only against the Habs. The rest of the games he was - not good. IIRC, the was the year that Miller faded in March, playing in 76 games.

So your point still stands. A quality backup might have put them in the playoffs.

Think back to when Marty was in the system. As I recall it, the rotation seemed reasonable back then, and I also seem to recall Marty getting some consecutive starts even when Miller was healthy as a reward for good play. Maybe Lindy will look a little more reasonable in his handling of the goaltenders when he has a trustworthy backup.

Are there still Lalime apologists lurking around here?

If so, I do not know what to say

There is no doubt Enroth has been a very pleasant surprise and could be the reason we get into the playoffs. But I still say Patty gets a lot of undeserved criticism. How many times in those 3 years did the team score more than 2 goals? What was his goal support when Miller was out 2 years ago? I'm not disagreeing that Enroth is better, I think most Lalime fans would agree it's Enroth's turn. But damn, give the guy a break.

There is no doubt Enroth has been a very pleasant surprise and could be the reason we get into the playoffs. But I still say Patty gets a lot of undeserved criticism. How many times in those 3 years did the team score more than 2 goals? What was his goal support when Miller was out 2 years ago? I'm not disagreeing that Enroth is better, I think most Lalime fans would agree it's Enroth's turn. But damn, give the guy a break.

I'll agree with this, I dont think the team ever played as well when Patty was in net and they for sure didnt play like they do for Enroth. People used to say that on here when Marty was here too though that the guys played harder for him so maybe im just delusional.

Someone had mentioned earlier in this thread and in the Tampa GDT wondering if Lindy would continue to ride Enroth if Miller did not play again this weekend. IMO, there is 0.000000000000% chance that Enroth plays in Game 1 of the playoffs if Miller is anywhere near ready to go...

Someone had mentioned earlier in this thread and in the Tampa GDT wondering if Lindy would continue to ride Enroth if Miller did not play again this weekend. IMO, there is 0.000000000000% chance that Enroth plays in Game 1 of the playoffs if Miller is anywhere near ready to go...

I agree.

Archived