Kaleta near 100%

BetterDays06

What humors me about this board is threads like this. We all know Lindy values veteran leadership and ALWAYS plugs these guys back in as soon as they are ready. If Kaleta, Hecht, Grier and Miller are healthy, they will be returned to their starting spot.

Lindy said this morning that Hecht is now a long term injury. Most likely not playing in the first round. Same for Leopold. Kaleta back this weekend. Grier skating but not 100%. Miller needs a hard workout to test his bruisie.

Lindy said this morning that Hecht is now a long term injury. Most likely not playing in the first round. Same for Leopold. Kaleta back this weekend. Grier skating but not 100%. Miller needs a hard workout to test his bruisie.

So that shelves three starters for the first round. Assuming there is a first round. I'd add a fourth, in Grier. My guess is his knee is going to shut him down for the year. He might make it back for a game or two, but I think he needs medical/surgical attention.

everyone who is saying they dont want kaleta back in the lineup asap for the playoffs is on crack. its a different game in the postseason because the tempo is higher and it becomes much more physical. nothing against our team but they are not a intimidating team and having kaleta back would give us some more credibility in the hitting and physical dept of our team. if anyone feels that we dont need more guys like that for the postseason just look back to the boston series last year when they ragdolled us in 4 games.

I agree. They have to have a "Most Hated Player" out there. Kaleta gets into people's heads and causes them to lose focus. Plug McCormick into that formula with a little bit of Goose and alternate Gerbe into it to REALLY annoy the crap out of the other team.

Kaleta may be #2 on the most hated list but I really do believe his shtick has lost most of its effectiveness. Players aren't taking stupid penalties because of his borderline hits like they used to. And the refs watch him like a hawk now. His agitator efforts are almost as likely to result in a PK as it is a PP. Besides, with his injury frequency he's become a disruption to the lineup. He goes out for awhile, new linemates get used to each other, then he comes back in, linemates have to re-adjust. lather, rinse, repeat.

IMO this team has progressed enough that Pat Kaleta has become the spare forward. If a player isn't performing or if the team needs an energy boost, insert him into the lineup. But if the team is playing well, he isn't the kind of player that needs to be in the lineup. Good kid. Busts his ass. Sacrifices himself for the team. But he doesn't bring enough to the table to justify the disruption at this point.

Kaleta may be #2 on the most hated list but I really do believe his shtick has lost most of its effectiveness. Players aren't taking stupid penalties because of his borderline hits like they used to. And the refs watch him like a hawk now. His agitator efforts are almost as likely to result in a PK as it is a PP. Besides, with his injury frequency he's become a disruption to the lineup. He goes out for awhile, new linemates get used to each other, then he comes back in, linemates have to re-adjust. lather, rinse, repeat.

IMO this team has progressed enough that Pat Kaleta has become the spare forward. If a player isn't performing or if the team needs an energy boost, insert him into the lineup. But if the team is playing well, he isn't the kind of player that needs to be in the lineup. Good kid. Busts his ass. Sacrifices himself for the team. But he doesn't bring enough to the table to justify the disruption at this point.

IMO...If Kaleta is healthy, he replaces Mancari or Ellis. Since when is physical play(which this team is sorely lacking) shtick?

To the point in your post about keeping Kaleta out so that the lines remain stable, Lindy switches lines constantly.

What humors me about this board is threads like this. We all know Lindy values veteran leadership and ALWAYS plugs these guys back in as soon as they are ready. If Kaleta, Hecht, Grier and Miller are healthy, they will be returned to their starting spot.

Good call, and FWIW I agree with Lindy's approach.

Bummer about Hecht, although I think the team is better equipped than last year to handle his absence.

As for Kaleta, I think he's a real asset when healthy. I'd rather have him in the lineup than Ellis or Mancari, and, if Grier is back, than Niedermayer (if Grier is out, then I think we need Niedermayer).

IMO...If Kaleta is healthy, he replaces Mancari or Ellis. Since when is physical play(which this team is sorely lacking) shtick?

To the point in your post about keeping Kaleta out so that the lines remain stable, Lindy switches lines constantly.

Agree that Ellis or Mancari goes out. I've already said once in this thread that I think Mancari has more upside than Kaleta. Not that he shows it consistantly or anything. <_< Ellis is a place holder, I'd play Kaleta over Ellis.

I think his physical play is limited to borderline late hits. I don't really see him as any kind of physical force when competing for the puck or position. He's an agitator. So yeah, in my mind it's shtick.

Agree that Ellis or Mancari goes out. I've already said once in this thread that I think Mancari has more upside than Kaleta. Not that he shows it consistantly or anything. <_< Ellis is a place holder, I'd play Kaleta over Ellis.

I think his physical play is limited to borderline late hits. I don't really see him as any kind of physical force when competing for the puck or position. He's an agitator. So yeah, in my mind it's shtick.

Ditto Kaleta over Ellis. I wouldn't go as far as calling Kaleta's play shtick, but I see your point. He could stand to re-invent his game a little, and on a regular basis so that other players don't catch on and start owning HIM. Aw crap, you made me a believer, it has become shtick. BUT he does have it in him to be a true physical force.

Ditto Kaleta over Ellis. I wouldn't go as far as calling Kaleta's play shtick, but I see your point. He could stand to re-invent his game a little, and on a regular basis so that other players don't catch on and start owning HIM. Aw crap, you made me a believer, it has become shtick. BUT he does have it in him to be a true physical force.

LOL

He is not the best hitter on the team, he is the best at leaving his feet to deliver some big hits and also dishing out borderline hits. He is exciting to watch at times and does draw penalties, but his usefulness is limited. I think overall he would be a better player if he could stay in the lineup, but we all know thats not going to happen.

Who is the best hitter?

Good hitting takes great timing. I think he's got that timing. Especially in open ice.

Although he has made some dirty hits (no question about that), and he's an agitator... Most of his hits are just clean hits. That's what makes him so successful. Refs pay him special mind....and only 78 penalty minutes (half of those in 4 games) in 50 games played this year.

No question he plays a physical game.

It seems to me that this season Kaleta has lost his offensive skills. In the past, he seemed to create scoring chances with his effort and forechecking. Now I feel like he just skates around looking for the Carruba Collision all game long. I would play him over Ellis for sure, but I'm not sure about anybody else, although I could live with Mancari too.

I agree with the part that I bolded, his game need to get the next level, perhaps concentrating on being a great penalty killer would add something extra to his game.

The intimidation factor is huge he alters plays just by being on the ice. Defensemen dont skate into corners when they know he is on the ice and when they dont know he is on the ice they usually notice his number skating away with the puck while they are on their backs in the corner. I do agree though that i expected his offensive numbers to go up this year but he still has tremendous upside. When he has played on the PK he has done pretty well but Lindy seemed to go with different personnel on the PK this year. We need him for the playoffs he was one of the best players in last years series and he always turns it up for playoff hockey. Especially in the OHL when he scored near a point a game and helped take Peterborough on a long run his last year there.

Hoppe reports that

Kaleta is 100% good to go.

Playing Friday? I would think so. Need some physicality (I actually hate that word) against Flyers.

Philly's defence is BIG. Kaleta is gonna have alot of work to do if he is going to make an impression on them.

Philly's defense has been failing miserably without Pronger. Weber has the most and probably hardest hits on the team, but I agree we need Kaleta over ellis. Mancari has proved more usefulness over the last few games being solid in the corners and protecting the puck and his size and durability will prove useful come playoffs (knock on wood)

We definitely need Kaleta back in the lineup, especially come playoff time. We only have a handful of people who are willing to lay hits on the other team and having Kaleta ride the pine would not be a good idea, especially against a physical team like Philadelphia or Boston.

Hoppe reports that

Kaleta is 100% good to go.

Playing Friday? I would think so. Need some physicality (I actually hate that word) against Flyers.

I agree he will play. I am just not sure who sits.

Ellis would be my odds on favorite but we are talking about sitting a center for a winger. I would say Mancari but that last shift forecheck he had last night where he tied up the puck for 20 secs went a long way in Lindy's book for keeping him in. My guess is it is either one of those two.

I agree he will play. I am just not sure who sits.

Ellis would be my odds on favorite but we are talking about sitting a center for a winger. I would say Mancari but that last shift forecheck he had last night where he tied up the puck for 20 secs went a long way in Lindy's book for keeping him in. My guess is it is either one of those two.

Ellis is not a center and I think he was an emergency call up so I think he goes back.

Ellis is not a center and I think he was an emergency call up so I think he goes back.

Well the roster has him listed as LW/C, The Portland roster lists him as center and I am pretty sure thats where I have seen him playing the last few games for Buffalo.

I did say it made the most sense especially when you add the emergency call up you mention. This team does lack center depth though.

Well the roster has him listed as LW/C, The Portland roster lists him as center and I am pretty sure thats where I have seen him playing the last few games for Buffalo.

I did say it made the most sense especially when you add the emergency call up you mention. This team does lack center depth though.

I always wondered who was in charge of those listings.

It seems to me that Al Kotalik was listed at RW his entire time in Buffalo but never took a shift on the right side.

And Ellis was called up when Grier went out, so his callup had little to do with the center situation on the roster.

I always wondered who was in charge of those listings.

It seems to me that Al Kotalik was listed at RW his entire time in Buffalo but never took a shift on the right side.

And then there's Gerbe.

And Ellis was called up when Grier went out, so his callup had little to do with the center situation on the roster.

And then there's Gerbe.

I know thats true. My statement was based on what I saw not what was printed unless I was missing something watching the games.

When he was on the ice with what looked like a set line they had him playing the center role between Special Needs and Cody and on the forecheck and backcheck assignments. Now Lindy did shuffle a bit like he always does but I thought I saw that line together several times in the last few games as an energy 4th line.

Like I said in my original post he does make the most sense to send back. I guess that would put Cody at center for that line with Kaleta and Neids as a 4th line along with potential double shifting the Goose.

Kaleta in for Ellis, keep Mancari in there. Of course Kaleta has an impact on a lot of opposing players, but it also seems that the Sabres get an energy boost from his play at times. Mancari has a lot of room for growth but it seems like he has a good blend of offensive talent and grit without being a defensive liability. Love his booming slapshot too.

Archived