Enroth

fiftyone

I don't think so. It's about value and the re-allocation of assets. Miller is a really good goalie. In the cap era of sports how good a player is gets balanced against his contract. If Miller is making $3 mil a year this conversation never happens. Mike Schopp has brought up a great point. The level of goaltending from the top-tier goalies is not that far off from mid-tier goalies. Their is a huge gap from the top tier goal scorers and the rest of the forwards. That is where the money needs to go.

Mike Schopp is very wrong about that IMO.

Mike Schopp is very wrong about that IMO.

I'm not a fan of Mike Schopp by any stretch but I agree with his assessment here. Way more drop off in forwards than there is drop off in goalies among the top 20(ish). To me, that means that forward is the scarcer commodity and is where the money to get the best available should be spent.

I'm not a fan of Mike Schopp by any stretch but I agree with his assessment here. Way more drop off in forwards than there is drop off in goalies among the top 20(ish). To me, that means that forward is the scarcer commodity and is where the money to get the best available should be spent.

Absolutely no way. IMO.

Top goaltenders this wins this year #1 Loungo ....#20 Steve Mason

Top forward in points #1 Dan Sedin .......#20 Bobby Ryan

Forwards are a hell of a lot deeper.

Lindy has coached some damned fine defensive teams. And he came from Florida as an Asst where defense was #1. He was ridiculed as unable to coach offense until Briere and Drury came along.

This is going to sound like splitting hairs and I am sorry. Ruff does and has coached great defensive oriented teams but when I hear shutdown I think trap and attack only on mistakes kinda like Devils in their hayday. Either way, I am as a fan against going the defensive rout, and wish there was an easy way to go the heart rout. Seeing players dive to knock pucks out of the zone does my heart good. You are correct though I should not be critical of ruff's defensive coaching abilities.

This is going to sound like splitting hairs and I am sorry. Ruff does and has coached great defensive oriented teams but when I hear shutdown I think trap and attack only on mistakes kinda like Devils in their hayday. Either way, I am as a fan against going the defensive rout, and wish there was an easy way to go the heart rout. Seeing players dive to knock pucks out of the zone does my heart good. You are correct though I should not be critical of ruff's defensive coaching abilities.

There is more than one way to skin that cat. They don't have to play the trap to be a team noted for defence. Detroit isn't a trapping team. Hell, Van is #1 in GAA I think and they aren't a trapping team for sure.

Not that I can effectively speak for Deluca but I think he was thinking more in terms of building from the defense out, like Anaheim a few years ago and Philly did. Chicago too. Spend your cap surplus on top notch defencemen and leave the forwards as is. Our forwards can hold their own for the most part. Get some real horses on D to team with Myers and this team could be something special.

There is more than one way to skin that cat. They don't have to play the trap to be a team noted for defence. Detroit isn't a trapping team. Hell, Van is #1 in GAA I think and they aren't a trapping team for sure.

Not that I can effectively speak for Deluca but I think he was thinking more in terms of building from the defense out, like Anaheim a few years ago and Philly did. Chicago too. Spend your cap surplus on top notch defencemen and leave the forwards as is. Our forwards can hold their own for the most part. Get some real horses on D to team with Myers and this team could be something special.

You would have to be willing to get rid of butler, monty, morrison. Monty leaves this season anywho. I favor bringing in Ehrhoff if you could and then maybe a shutdown guy to pair with weber or myers. I understand what you are saying and Your are probably correct in thinking that that would be the way to build a team... game just started so LETS GO BUFFALO

Absolutely no way. IMO.

Top goaltenders this wins this year #1 Loungo ....#20 Steve Mason

Top forward in points #1 Dan Sedin .......#20 Bobby Ryan

Forwards are a hell of a lot deeper.

Well - there are 3 times the forwards - so who are 58, 59 & 60?

so i guess we can trade enroth right? or is it miller now? Ug i cant keep track of which gt we should be trading now. Lets all just be content and revel in the win.. Enroth was superb, great game.

I realize that was sarcastic, but I would like to think that people are happy that the Sabres FINALLY have a solid 1-2 goaltending tandem set up for next year. (Yeah, I know that there are many that AREN'T, but they SHOULD be.)

I realize that was sarcastic, but I would like to think that people are happy that the Sabres FINALLY have a solid 1-2 goaltending tandem set up for next year. (Yeah, I know that there are many that AREN'T, but they SHOULD be.)

Agreed. We finally have a backup thank god. Miller can now rest 20 games and we can still win. woooot

Enroth will be fine and Miller is still and needs to be our #1. That being said.........

As someone who plays and coaches the position (albeit not at a super high level so disagree all you want), Enroth squares his chest up very well on shots and keeps his torso very erect which is important for a shorter goaltender. However, he keeps his gloves low and seems that he almost purposely lets rebounds bounce off his chest with the intent of squaring up to the rebound again. It really makes me nervous sometimes to watch him. Jim Corsi is a phenomenal goaltending coach and I'd be willing to bet this is one area he will work on with him. BTW I panicked when I saw him poke that puck straight out on the second goal and for good reason. If I remember correctly, it was through a screen and he had no idea who could be in the high slot. I haven't looked at the highlight but that's how I remember it. Bottom line, he didn't lose that game for us and I'm looking forward to a Miller/Enroth tandem.

During the live broadcast it looked like Enroth kicked that rebound out to the high slot, but it was a skater who did it ... I already erased it from the DVR or I'd go back and figure out who it was.

During the live broadcast it looked like Enroth kicked that rebound out to the high slot, but it was a skater who did it ... I already erased it from the DVR or I'd go back and figure out who it was.

As is always the case in any murder mystery worth it's salt, the Butler did it.

That, really is the only relevant conclusion to this thread.

Not so fast. There's the question of whether or not he gets played. By the end of last season, the meme was that Lalime wasn't too terrible, he just needed to be played. Ruff doesn't play his backups. What a waste that would (or will) be, now that we know what the Sabres have in Enroth.

I'll say it: I don't think I EVER saw Biron play as well as Enroth played tonight.

With that size and quickness and jersey # he reminds me of Don Edwards.

I'd be fine trading him in a package for a #1 center, but now I kinda want to keep him. What a great crunch-time performance that was.

I think he'll keep Miller rested and kinda PO'd all year, which will lead to great goaltending every night for the Sabres.

I'll say it: I don't think I EVER saw Biron play as well as Enroth played tonight.

He is Donny Edwards.......I wonder if he chants "Six by Four I'm a Board, I'm a Board, Six by Four, I'm a Board" in Swedish.

I'd be fine trading him in a package for a #1 center, but now I kinda want to keep him. What a great crunch-time performance that was.

I think he'll keep Miller rested and kinda PO'd all year, which will lead to great goaltending every night for the Sabres.

Donnie Edwards, he was awesome for the Sabres........ :beer:

Donnie Edwards, he was awesome for the Sabres........ :beer:

My hero when I was a kid. I still have a post card picture he signed for me at Chef's years and years ago. I'll post it sometime.

Archived