Enroth

fiftyone

I have to chuckle at all the How Miller Would Have Played Its.

Hasn't anybody been watching the guy this season?

Yes. Goalies have up and down years, it is the way it works. Miller had a rough first half of the year but has played much better the second half. To say Enroth is capable of filling Miller's shoes at this point is ridiculous....say what you want about Miller, but he will keep you in every crunch time game. Dude had 2 shutouts in 3 games when the chips were down before he got hurt.

FWIW the dman tying up the man in front of the net kicked it back into the slot. Take a second look at that play because I thought the same thing. Enroth was trying to pull it back with his stick and montador (?) Kicked it while tying up the screener...

I haven't had a chance to take a second look, but I'll take your word for it. That changes that goal to being totally out of Enroth's control, then.

Yes. Goalies have up and down years, it is the way it works. Miller had a rough first half of the year but has played much better the second half. To say Enroth is capable of filling Miller's shoes at this point is ridiculous....say what you want about Miller, but he will keep you in every crunch time game. Dude had 2 shutouts in 3 games when the chips were down before he got hurt.

Did or did not Enroth do that last night? He did just like Miller would have done, maybe, therefor there isn't much difference between the 2.

For $6 million dollars there should be a huge difference, yet there is not.

I have to chuckle at all the How Miller Would Have Played Its.

Hasn't anybody been watching the guy this season?

Actually, I think I'm the only one pointing out how Miller may have played specific situations differently.

So, are you trying to start a fight? Turn this thread from the topic of Enroth into a spat between posters? What's the point of that comment?

I haven't had a chance to take a second look, but I'll take your word for it. That changes that goal to being totally out of Enroth's control, then.

It was Butler...I was mad as hell, yelling at my television per usual. He couldn't get it with his stick so he kicked it right into the slot.

Actually, I think I'm the only one pointing out how Miller may have played specific situations differently.

So, are you trying to start a fight? Turn this thread from the topic of Enroth into a spat between posters? What's the point of that comment?

Sounds like you're trying to start one. Stop. SDS doesn't want these threads to degenerate into discussions about me. Stay on topic.

By the way, if you and others think your complaints are going to get me tossed, you're mistaken.

Wait for it...

I ain't goin' nowhere.

Sounds like you're trying to start one. Stop. SDS doesn't want these threads to degenerate into discussions about me. Stay on topic.

By the way, if you and others think your complaints are going to get me tossed, you're mistaken.

Wait for it...

I ain't goin' nowhere.

Sorry, didn't know you were visually impaired and are using text-to-speech software.

I also didn't consider you would be so quick to jump to conclusions about my "intent"; you seem to thrive on sarcasm. The defensiveness is a little surprising.

However, the point is that you have challenged my posts about how Miller may have reacted differently to those situations I pointed out and I'm calling you on it. How can I, or anyone, avoid that post of yours when you're clearly making it personal? That's really the sign of a bully - someone who expects to personally attack someone and get away with it.

I have watched every game this season and stand by my points. I think ANY goalie with several years of NHL experience would have played those situations differently because those plays boil down to experience.

Are you saying Miller would have played the game last night the same way as Enroth did?

It's one game people. 3 of those goals weren't his fault, somehow I doubt the Sabres would have fared any better with Miller in net.

Completely agree..

Enroth was not as far out of the crease as Miller has been, although he has controlled it in recent games.

But some of shots you just wonder if Miller would have reacted in time...

Softy? (the comment about last goal Miller let up in last Carolina game) We lost 1-0... And Carolina's lone goal was a second chance opportunity where the trailer got the puck, and went and put it in the open side (of the net), while Miller was blocked out (other than that, Miller was perfect).Is this becoming the excuse thread for those who think (thought?) Enroth should be the starter?? (all that talk is garbage, anyhow..., it's a team game, and the combination of Enroth giving up the rebounds, and the defense not staying at home, as they did against the Rangers...., plus we were playing a far-more offensively potent team than the Rags tonight).We're in much better shape for having Enroth step-up (thank goodness he's done so!).But when it's crunch-time... For the best results, it's "in Miller we trust"...Anyone hear if Miller is going to make the trek to Raleigh??GO BUFFALO SABRES!!

He will not be in Raleigh; meaning Enroth has to go back to back.

LOL When I got home from the bar 30 minutes ago I KNEW this thread would be here. I wasn't sure what it would be titled, but I knew it would be here ready for me to giggle at.He's a rook. And he got hit for 5 goals against one of the top 3 teams in the conference. And the losing goal was scored off a double deflection by the most dynamic player in the game today. Enroth is fine. A little green, but fine.

Agreed.

A few years more of experience in backup and in AHL and he'll be fine.

Let him "ripen" out.

Tonight Enroth gave up big rebounds on some shots that Miller would have "swallowed up" with no rebound. The second and fourth goals were big examples of this. Actually, the second was more of him batting it out to the point instead of playing it cool. Even Joe Bennanti, the Caps announcer said the fourth goal came off of a rebound that was way juicier than it should have been.Bottom line: Enroth is a bright young talent with a great future, but he needs 2-3 years in Portland or as Millers back-up before he will begin to reach his potential.Can Enroth win against Carolina? I think yes!Does a healthy Miller have a better shot at winning in Raleigh? Depends on how healthy he really is. I gotta feeling Ryan just flew into Raleigh a couple of hours ago. But that's just a feeling :)

The fourth goal was a MONSTER rebound...anyone could have buried it, it was just unfortunate Enroth really had no idea where it was till too late.

Enroth will be a better fit against Carolina, just due to his quickness he shows...plus the team plays well in front of him (except last night)

For those who are troubled by Enroth's 'unorthodox' style, you'd best get used to it. He is too small to play a true butterfly. While he seems to have a great glove hand, he'd be getting beat top shelf stick side far too often if he played like his hero Lundy.

Enroth has killer reflexes (which is similar to a former Sabres' goalie that had a truly unorthodox style) and seems to understand the game. So, I'd expect to see him become a regular in the NHL. But he will have to get a bit stronger before he supplants Miller (or any other team's starter). His size (which he can't control) and the style he uses because of that will make coaches nervous; unless he shows he is clearly better he won't get the opportunity to be the #1.

Remember, the ONLY reason Dom got a chance to start in the NHL regularly was because Fuhr was injured. Dom had been extremely successful before getting to the NHL, but that style of his led coaches (and teammates and fans) to think he was far more 'lucky' than skilled. It wasn't until the 'luck' was noted to happen ALL the time that it went from 'luck' to skill. Two different SC winning coaches thought he wasn't good enough to be the #1 guy. How many more might they have won if they'd've watched the results rather than the method?

I'm not trying to say that Enroth will be another Dom (I'd expect him to be another Pang far sooner than I'd expect him to be Dom) but just that he will necessarily have to be more of a reaction goalie than the typical NHLer. If he can get the rebound control down and come a bit higher out of the crease on shots (when he's deep it always looks like a shot against the post will beat him low), he'll be in the league a long time. If not, he'll follow in fellow Scandanavian Mika's footsteps and head back to Europe. Either way, he'll be more nerve-wracking to watch than Ryan will because before the save he won't look 'right.' And I fully expect to see him backing up Ryan next year and I believe he will actually see at least 18 games if not more like 20-25.

Sorry, didn't know you were visually impaired and are using text-to-speech software.

I also didn't consider you would be so quick to jump to conclusions about my "intent"; you seem to thrive on sarcasm. The defensiveness is a little surprising.

However, the point is that you have challenged my posts about how Miller may have reacted differently to those situations I pointed out and I'm calling you on it. How can I, or anyone, avoid that post of yours when you're clearly making it personal? That's really the sign of a bully - someone who expects to personally attack someone and get away with it.

I have watched every game this season and stand by my points. I think ANY goalie with several years of NHL experience would have played those situations differently because those plays boil down to experience.

Are you saying Miller would have played the game last night the same way as Enroth did?

Of course he wouldn't have played the game the same way. Based on his play the last 12 months, I don't think the result would necessarily have been different.

The question was rhetorical. Like someone saying, "Are you crazy? The Mets aren't winning the World Series." It's not a literal challenge to someone's sanity.

Miller is the better goalie, just not $5.4 million better. I would have no problem going into next season with Enroth as the #1 goalie if the $5 mil in savings went towards adding a couple top six forwards and a D-man to QB the power-play.

For $5 million, even adding in the average salaries of 2 bottom 6 forwards and the least expensive D man you are not going to find 2 top six forwards and a D man capable of QBing the PP even if you shop for them at Dollar General.

if you trade miller you might save 5mil but thats 1 forward or a top def. We can all agree there. However, we must also consider what is coming off the books. Connolly's 4.5mil plus the cap space we have to begin with already gives you 7.5-8mil and we didnt lose anyone but tc. There is room and we can just not drop millsy until his contract runs out. The guy stayed in buffalo when everyone else was bailing or getting shipped off. Give him the next 3 years. Pegula said 3 years and if they arent close then o well let him go but lets be classy. Miller is in the top 10 in the league even if this year with a rookie def hes been ruff. Faith, ryan miller won an olympic silver, he didnt lose an olympic gold, the guy can play, he can be clutch.

For $5 million, even adding in the average salaries of 2 bottom 6 forwards and the least expensive D man you are not going to find 2 top six forwards and a D man capable of QBing the PP even if you shop for them at Dollar General.

They have about $23 million available now. Add Miller's money and that's over $29 million. That should be enough for a competent GM to get the job done. Especially one with an owner willing to spend what it takes.

Are we to assume if Miller played goal last night the results would have better?

I'm comfortable with Enroth. He has a good glove hand, solid positioning and already handles the puck better than Miller. I wouldn't mind trading Miller along with Vanek and maybe even Stafford this offseason. I think getting a Bryzgalov would be a great replacement for goaltending. Others that would go: Montador, Connelly, and of course the guys over 30. I'd like to see 90-95 percent of the young Buffalo system at work with next year's team.

They have about $23 million available now. Add Miller's money and that's over $29 million. That should be enough for a competent GM to get the job done. Especially one with an owner willing to spend what it takes.

Yes but the sabres have other peices it makes more sense to move. Ryan Miller even if you would free up his 6.25mil it does not improve the team. Its like saying Roy is a number 2 center so lets trade him and then use the 4mil we would free up for a number 1 center. You are taking the proverbial 2 steps back and 1 step forward.

And where are the Sabres going to find that? I heard Darcy is going to be back next season.

its threads like these that are proof that Sabres fans are fighting to try to take the 'dumbest fans in the league" title away from the majority of Leafs fans. Miller wins a Vezina, and carries the US Olympic team to the gold medal game against the Canadians and yet fans still think he is an average or replaceable goaltender

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't they both be here (its working in Boston right now)? $5-6 mil for a vezina winning goalie is not much. Lets fix whats really broke in front of the net first, before we start creating more holes in this lineup

Yes but the sabres have other peices it makes more sense to move. Ryan Miller even if you would free up his 6.25mil it does not improve the team. Its like saying Roy is a number 2 center so lets trade him and then use the 4mil we would free up for a number 1 center. You are taking the proverbial 2 steps back and 1 step forward.

I don't think so. It's about value and the re-allocation of assets. Miller is a really good goalie. In the cap era of sports how good a player is gets balanced against his contract. If Miller is making $3 mil a year this conversation never happens. Mike Schopp has brought up a great point. The level of goaltending from the top-tier goalies is not that far off from mid-tier goalies. Their is a huge gap from the top tier goal scorers and the rest of the forwards. That is where the money needs to go.

That said, if the Sabres are dead set against trading Miller? Their plan for the off-season need to mirror that of the Ducks a few years ago. Go out and secure the best defense-men available (Pronger & Rob's brother in the Duck's case) and become the shutdown team of the East.

I don't think so. It's about value and the re-allocation of assets. Miller is a really good goalie. In the cap era of sports how good a player is gets balanced against his contract. If Miller is making $3 mil a year this conversation never happens. Mike Schopp has brought up a great point. The level of goaltending from the top-tier goalies is not that far off from mid-tier goalies. Their is a huge gap from the top tier goal scorers and the rest of the forwards. That is where the money needs to go.

That said, if the Sabres are dead set against trading Miller? Their plan for the off-season need to mirror that of the Ducks a few years ago. Go out and secure the best defense-men available (Pronger & Rob's brother in the Duck's case) and become the shutdown team of the East.

If you can get bryzgalov in here for under 5 then ya I am in, trade miller. however this team will never be a Shut down team. Not while ruff coaches. We need some good d-men I totally agree but I am just not sold on the idea that this team would be better with Enroth as GT and Miller in idk... tampa. We have 1 top tier forward and a bunch of second tier oones, I think that center is priority and Miller does not get traded. He is the face of USA hockey and the Sabres are going to be better in the long run (next 3yrs) having him stay. After all that, lol, I do understand and agree that we do not have this conversation if millsy is making like 3.5-4.5

If Miller and Enroth are the Sabres goaltenders next year then Lindy needs to commit at the very start of the season to play Enroth every third game - no matter what the schedule looks like. If it gives Miller 9 days off between games - good, he always needs the rest.

You know, I haven't put any thought into going the way Anehiem went, but that's not a bad idea at all with the goaltenting duo we have. Put all of our big money in top shelf "D" and hang onto the offensive players we have. Add a real good checking center as well.

If you can get bryzgalov in here for under 5 then ya I am in, trade miller. however this team will never be a Shut down team. Not while ruff coaches. We need some good d-men I totally agree but I am just not sold on the idea that this team would be better with Enroth as GT and Miller in idk... tampa. We have 1 top tier forward and a bunch of second tier oones, I think that center is priority and Miller does not get traded. He is the face of USA hockey and the Sabres are going to be better in the long run (next 3yrs) having him stay. After all that, lol, I do understand and agree that we do not have this conversation if millsy is making like 3.5-4.5

Lindy has coached some damned fine defensive teams. And he came from Florida as an Asst where defense was #1. He was ridiculed as unable to coach offense until Briere and Drury came along.

You know, I haven't put any thought into going the way Anehiem went, but that's not a bad idea at all with the goaltenting duo we have. Put all of our big money in top shelf "D" and hang onto the offensive players we have. Add a real good checking center as well.

Of course Anaheim went the way of the Red Wings. Which of course once again rules Detroit out as a trade partner for Miller. :)

Enroth will be fine and Miller is still and needs to be our #1. That being said.........

As someone who plays and coaches the position (albeit not at a super high level so disagree all you want), Enroth squares his chest up very well on shots and keeps his torso very erect which is important for a shorter goaltender. However, he keeps his gloves low and seems that he almost purposely lets rebounds bounce off his chest with the intent of squaring up to the rebound again. It really makes me nervous sometimes to watch him. Jim Corsi is a phenomenal goaltending coach and I'd be willing to bet this is one area he will work on with him. BTW I panicked when I saw him poke that puck straight out on the second goal and for good reason. If I remember correctly, it was through a screen and he had no idea who could be in the high slot. I haven't looked at the highlight but that's how I remember it. Bottom line, he didn't lose that game for us and I'm looking forward to a Miller/Enroth tandem.

Archived