2. 2. Gaustad vs McQuaid

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw
  3. 3. McCormick vs Lucic

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

Gonna try something that went over pretty well at LGS last year. Every time a Sabre gets into a fight I'll post the vid and we can vote win-lose-draw. Commentary on the dust up always welcome of course.

If it keeps your attention and I stay on my ADHD meds I'll keep doing it. If you guys don't care for it, don't participate and I'll get the hint and stop posting these.

Bout #1 McCormick vs The Boss' son (Campbell)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2OsTDsDcYQ

What say you guys? Do we wanna do this thing or what?

Bout #2 Gaustad vs McQuaid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR9MQTGRqs8&feature=player_embedded

Bout #3 McCormick vs Lucic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-eBR6e_ws4&feature=player_embedded

I'll start the commentary.

Bout #1

I love the way Cody waded into it all calm cool and collected. All business and he looked like he was ready to school someone. Looked to me like Campbell was looking for this one. I don't know why. He was clearly outclassed. I didn't see Campbell land a single punch and Cody ended the fight with a solid knockdown punch. Win McCormick in a landslide.

Bout #2

Goose had a nice flurry of uppercuts early but McQuaid took over after that and really handled Goosse. That grabhold of Gaustad's sweater behind the neck really kept Goose from being able to throw a punch and McQuaid took advantage bigtime. Win McQuaid.

Bout #3

I think Looch tried to get 3 different guys to go with him before Cody finally oblidged. McCormick looked out of gas right from the get-go and only went because he knew it wqas the right thing to do. Lucic was really controlling Cody. Showed alot more strength. Cody is a big guy, how strong is Lucic? I'll call it a draw but only because I didn't see any punches connect and Lucic didn't take advantage of Cody while twice while he was pretty defenseless. Really, Looch could've put a bad hurting on MCCormick but showed some class and held back.

Cody with the win on the first one. Goose's fight was a narrow loss, at most, but I chose draw. Cody's second was a moral victory for stepping up to fight a big, though guy when Cody had already had one long fight and was at the end of a shift, but was clearly a loss.

I gained a lot of respect for Lucic for not pummeling Cody after he fell.

I think the mentoring Lucic is recieving from Cam Neely is probably helping keep him from getting a big head.The biggest mistake the Canucks made was not drafting the kid that played in their own back yard and who they had a chance to see every time he laced up the skates for a home game.Its ironic that the guy they let get away is mentoring the guy they let get away.

In the 3rd scuffle I can't understand how BUTLER received a roughing penalty and HORTON didn't get anything even though he dropped his gloves. Didn't they use to hand out a penalty automatically for dropping the gloves ? HORTON clearly was looking for trouble after GERBE dropped him on his ass.

He had the Jason Peter's fight style going in that one.

I don't think he planned it that way. McQuaid had the back of Goose's sweater by the neck and effectively locked him out. Gaustad couldn't reach with a punch if he wanted to and had no choice but to try the old "duck and chuck".

It was a pretty effective technique by McQuaid. I don't know if he grabbed there on purpose but I can see grabbing the back of the neck to lock someone out happening on purpose after seeing how effective it was.

W L L

I give props to all the Sabres for stepping up. Lucic gets special props for not going to town when he had an advantage. Old school respect. I saw Chara do that against Vinny Lecavalier in Tampa years ago. Vinny stepped up and fought, but after three or four tugs and punches, Vinny was bent over and Chara had a 6'9" hammer poised in the air - with the fist aimed directly at a still game Vinny. Chara looked at the linesman as if to say "please" and the linesman skated in.

Great win.

Agree with above ; W-L-L for Sabres.

Observation and question: I've noticed that most times when there is a scrum or after-whistle nonsense around the net, the defensemen on the team in the offensive zone stay above the dots and don't get involved in the shoving and face washing. Is this a rule, i.e., do they get penalized if they rush in, or is it just part of "The Code"?

I ask because in the Lucic-Mac fight Chara came storming down into the fray before any gloves had been dropped. I guess he was looking to drop 'em with Gerbe if anything went down!!

Observation and question: I've noticed that most times when there is a scrum or after-whistle nonsense around the net, the defensemen on the team in the offensive zone stay above the dots and don't get involved in the shoving and face washing. Is this a rule, i.e., do they get penalized if they rush in, or is it just part of "The Code"?

I ask because in the Lucic-Mac fight Chara came storming down into the fray before any gloves had been dropped. I guess he was looking to drop 'em with Gerbe if anything went down!!

I believe that the faceoff comes out of the zone if the defensemen come below the dots. Most of the time, if things look serious, the defensemen will come in regardless, but if it's just shoving, they will just stay above them.

I believe that the faceoff comes out of the zone if the defensemen come below the dots. Most of the time, if things look serious, the defensemen will come in regardless, but if it's just shoving, they will just stay above them.

You are correct. If the D-men come in from the point on a scrum the faceoff is moved out of the offensive zone.

Makes the work of the on ice oficials alot easier with fewer bodies to control in a scrum.

Cody with the win on the first one. Goose's fight was a narrow loss, at most, but I chose draw. Cody's second was a moral victory for stepping up to fight a big, though guy when Cody had already had one long fight and was at the end of a shift, but was clearly a loss.

I'm not sure if Cody was just tired, or Lucic may have popped on the first punch. In either case, Good on Lucic for not going to town.

• 2 weeks later...

Has it really been this long since they had to lay down the law? Well i guess Kaleta and his last second glass shakers have been out for awhile.

When I posted this Cody was 4th in the league in fighting majors. He's dropped quite a bit now. I guess with the playoff push there are fewer guys willing to drop.

Archived