ESPN has to be regretting not picking up the NHL.

deluca67

Looking at the standings this morning there is a ton yet to be decided between now and the start of the playoffs.

The Canes, Sens and Sabres battling for #1 in the East.

The Battle for #1 overall.

The Atlantic Division.

The Northest Division.

The Islanders, Thrashers and Maple Leafs refusing to die.

Some great matchups from now until April.

It is going to be fun.

Looking at the standings this morning there is a ton yet to be decided between now and the start of the playoffs.

The Atlantic Division.

The Northest Division.

It is going to be fun.

What would be nice is if ESPN actually had some competition other than outdoor life. I'm starting to believe the year off was the best thing that could have happened to the NHL...

What would be nice is if ESPN actually had some competition other than outdoor life. I'm starting to believe the year off was the best thing that could have happened to the NHL...

I have alot of problems with OLN, but i will never complain, they are so much better with ESPN. OLN's postgame show actually makes sense and they talk hockey, not a stupid discussion by John Buccigross and Berry Melrose about the "coolest name" or hockeys "best hair" or whatever they always did on NHL2Night.

OLN just needs to become a bigger network, and then hockey will be golden!

...and they clearly know nothing about hockey

Sad

In that article, which was dated today (3-15) Buccigross predicts the Rangers will play the Sabres in round 1. However he had the Rangers seizing fourth in the conference. Last time I checked, the Sabres are up 9 points on them with 19 to go. We're gonna have to stink up the joint to give up that lead. I hope it was a typo Bucci.

I have alot of problems with OLN, but i will never complain, they are so much better with ESPN. OLN's postgame show actually makes sense and they talk hockey, not a stupid discussion by John Buccigross and Berry Melrose about the "coolest name" or hockeys "best hair" or whatever they always did on NHL2Night.

OLN just needs to become a bigger network, and then hockey will be golden!

Obviously this isn't a direct comparioson but the NFL really pushed Fox into the upper eschelon of networks. Before football Fox was little more than UPN or the WB.

The biggest problem I have with OLN is their camera work. They feel the need to be zoomed in on the guy with the puck which leads to two problems: 1, You can't see the play developing and 2, they end up jerking it around to try and keep up with the play.

Center Ice is the only way to go.

For the hardcore fans, like you and me, and many others here, center ice is the way to go, but i think this thread of how to help the average joe hockey fan, and the average joe hockey fan won't get center ice.

Although, center ice has it's issues too. Like, 5 seconds after a game ends, the coverage ends? WTF is up with that. Would it really hurt to air some of the post game?

For the hardcore fans, like you and me, and many others here, center ice is the way to go, but i think this thread of how to help the average joe hockey fan, and the average joe hockey fan won't get center ice.

Although, center ice has it's issues too. Like, 5 seconds after a game ends, the coverage ends? WTF is up with that. Would it really hurt to air some of the post game?

Unfortunately the NHL doesn't own the rights to whatever comes on after the game. You would think they would be able to come up with some way to reimburse the rights holders to the various post game shows without making CI as expensive as Sunday Ticket, but it doesn't look like they have. I'd be surprised to see them change it anytime soon.

It doesn't help for fans of teams that don't have their primary cable network on DirecTV (like for Sabres and Great White North teams), but for those that do (almost everyone else), you can watch the pre and post game shows in the 600 tier if you have the Sports Package on DirecTV.

I love how for certain games, they go to the Center Ice logo and music during every commercial break and during intermission. I forget which teams were involved, but I know I've seen that once or twice this season.

I love how for certain games, they go to the Center Ice logo and music during every commercial break and during intermission. I forget which teams were involved, but I know I've seen that once or twice this season.

I haven't seen that yet. If you see it again, could you send up an FYI post?

The thing I have seen is for a few games (primarily Dallas), CI still gets the commercial-less back feed. It's always a kick listening to the "crew" getting ready for upcoming segments and the announcers commenting on the game when they don't think they are going over the air.

I personally dont think the NHL is going to stay with OLN... maybe i forget the contract they signed, but is it a long term deal..or is there a possibility of the NHL switching back to ESPN or just signing on full time w/ NBC? I personally don't like the OLN choice, but thats because it isnt available on regular adelphia cable, the fact that you have to pay extra to see a national televised game, Is Bull!! I understand center ice being extra but come on....put the national televised game on standard cable.........

with that said, I prolly wouldn't be against OLN if i could actually watch a game!

ESPN didn't have time for the NHL. They were too busy trying to sign Joe Theismann to a new contract. Take your NBA TV contract and go to &(*^(*&^.

Yeah, and go line up more network feeds of "National Spelling Bee", Championship Darts and Extreme HotDog Eating Contests.

Soooo much entertainment :o

Yeah, and go line up more network feeds of "National Spelling Bee", Championship Darts and Extreme HotDog Eating Contests.

Soooo much entertainment :o

I like the spelling bee! And some on this board would do well to attend to it.

Seriously, though, ESPN has no incentive to put NHL hockey on at $60M / yr. I'm sure it doesn't pay even close to that amount to rerun poker games night after night, and (unfortunately) the dropoff in viewership either isn't much at all or isn't enough to justify the extra expense. Given the attention to hockey in most of the USA combined with the poker fad, ESPN may actually be gaining viewers.

ESPN is in business to make money; blame its audience's tastes for what it airs or doesn't air.

I don't want to know what an "extreme hot dog" is made of, do I?

I personally dont think the NHL is going to stay with OLN... maybe i forget the contract they signed, but is it a long term deal..or is there a possibility of the NHL switching back to ESPN or just signing on full time w/ NBC? I personally don't like the OLN choice, but thats because it isnt available on regular adelphia cable, the fact that you have to pay extra to see a national televised game, Is Bull!! I understand center ice being extra but come on....put the national televised game on standard cable.........

with that said, I prolly wouldn't be against OLN if i could actually watch a game!

I would blame Adelphia and not the NHL or OLN for that one. I don't think the NHL really wanted to sign a deal with Comcast for games to be on OLN, but ESPN passed on renewing the NHL's contract. Earlier in the year it seemed like Comcast was getting in some big fights with Cable and Sattelite providers to try and make OLN games available for more viewers.

As a side note, I was in Buffalo last week and saw the similarly themed article in the News...I found it kind of funny that this was just a big problem now, and not for Penguins Sabres game back in October on OLN. :D

well thats because finding out that OLN has exclusive rights to late round playoff coverage sucks. But having friends who have OLN doesn't... but still adelphia, come on...if the sabres make it in the late rounds of the playoffs i wonder how much the local rating are going to fall. Something hs to change, but knowing it won't in time for playoffs mean trying to afford playoff tickets. oh well. in any event: Go Sabres!!!!

well thats because finding out that OLN has exclusive rights to late round playoff coverage sucks. But having friends who have OLN doesn't... but still adelphia, come on...if the sabres make it in the late rounds of the playoffs i wonder how much the local rating are going to fall. Something hs to change, but knowing it won't in time for playoffs mean trying to afford playoff tickets. oh well. in any event: Go Sabres!!!!

You should be able to pick up the later rounds on CBC as well.

The Atlantic Division.

The Northest Division.

It is going to be fun.

While we as hockey fans love the new NHL, the ratings still suck. Doesn't matter how good the hockey is , most people could give a rats behind, especially a network that sells advertising based on ratings.

In terms of the CI complaints, anyone have the dish network and CI out there. I always figured the quick cut at the end was D* way to get you to buy the local sports package, which i will do here at the end of the month. Just wondering if Dish and cable does the same thing.

Also, for D* customers who have the local sports package, can you see hotline on MSG?

While we as hockey fans love the new NHL, the ratings still suck. Doesn't matter how good the hockey is , most people could give a rats behind, especially a network that sells advertising based on ratings.

In terms of the CI complaints, anyone have the dish network and CI out there. I always figured the quick cut at the end was D* way to get you to buy the local sports package, which i will do here at the end of the month. Just wondering if Dish and cable does the same thing.

Also, for D* customers who have the local sports package, can you see hotline on MSG?

Everything I've seen reported has the TV numbers up. Do you have a link to the report that says they are down?

Everything I've seen reported has the TV numbers up. Do you have a link to the report that says they are down?

I'm more interested in your link that says the numbers are up. Seems strange that on a network received in a small percentage of US homes, US ratings would be up. I'd love to see how they're manipulating the stats.

(EDIT:) I should add that the post you responded to said that the ratings "still suck," and not that they've moved downward from last season or seasons past. (They could have moved up, but "still suck.") Still, I'd really be interested in seeing something stating that ratings have improved in the US, because someone must be messing with those numbers.

To the best of my memory, the national numbers are slightly up, the local broadcasts are way up.

Local broadcasts probably are WAY up, for a variety of reasons. Given the topic, I'm interested in national figures.

Archived