ESPN has to be regretting not picking up the NHL.

deluca67

I'm more interested in your link that says the numbers are up. Seems strange that on a network received in a small percentage of US homes, US ratings would be up. I'd love to see how they're manipulating the stats.

(EDIT:) I should add that the post you responded to said that the ratings "still suck," and not that they've moved downward from last season or seasons past. (They could have moved up, but "still suck.") Still, I'd really be interested in seeing something stating that ratings have improved in the US, because someone must be messing with those numbers.

Local broadcasts probably are WAY up, for a variety of reasons. Given the topic, I'm interested in national figures.

The hockey news had an article about it a couple months ago. If I remember right local broadcasts as a whole were up...I don't remember the issue that it was in.

The hockey news had an article about it a couple months ago. If I remember right local broadcasts as a whole were up...I don't remember the issue that it was in.

I believe you. But that still doesn't tell me why "ESPN has to be regretting not picking up the NHL." ESPN broadcasts nationally and not just in the few pockets in this country where NHL hockey matters. (Note that some teams don't broadcast any of their home games at all.) If national ratings were up SIGNIFICANTLY, it might make a difference. But there's no evidence of that, so I've gotta conclude that ESPN could care less whether the NHL even exists. See my post above. ESPN's concern is net profits and not gross revenues; it makes more rerunning poker (which never is live), which it actually has a freaking national beer sponsor for, than it would running live NHL games.

I'm more interested in your link that says the numbers are up. Seems strange that on a network received in a small percentage of US homes, US ratings would be up. I'd love to see how they're manipulating the stats.

(EDIT:) I should add that the post you responded to said that the ratings "still suck," and not that they've moved downward from last season or seasons past. (They could have moved up, but "still suck.") Still, I'd really be interested in seeing something stating that ratings have improved in the US, because someone must be messing with those numbers.

Local broadcasts probably are WAY up, for a variety of reasons. Given the topic, I'm interested in national figures.

Don't forget NBC. Though their coverage is mostly regional it's an important step.

ESPN will regret their decision because the NHL has for the most part been reborn while the NBA continues to decline. The "NEW NHL" product has been revieved well and the NHL continues to be willing to listen and improve their product. If this continues you'll continue to see positvie inroads as it pertains to a national image. The NHL will never be huge in the bible belt. But who cares? They're too busy waiting for judgement day to care about anything. In the hockey markets you wil begin to see the NHL gain ground. Keep an eye on those markets that have both NBA and NHL teams and watch the progress.

You are right about one thing. The starting point for the NHL is "sucks". It won't be overnight but improvments in the numbers will come. You can't undo 20+ years of poor managment in one season. The NHL has a strong fan base. It's up to the NHL to continue to strengthen their product and word will get out.

;)

Don't forget NBC. Though their coverage is mostly regional it's an important step.

ESPN will regret their decision because the NHL has for the most part been reborn while the NBA continues to decline. The "NEW NHL" product has been revieved well and the NHL continues to be willing to listen and improve their product. If this continues you'll continue to see positvie inroads as it pertains to a national image. The NHL will never be huge in the bible belt. But who cares? They're too busy waiting for judgement day to care about anything. In the hockey markets you wil begin to see the NHL gain ground. Keep an eye on those markets that have both NBA and NHL teams and watch the progress.

You are right about one thing. The starting point for the NHL is "sucks". It won't be overnight but improvments in the numbers will come. You can't undo 20+ years of poor managment in one season. The NHL has a strong fan base. It's up to the NHL to continue to strengthen their product and word will get out.

;)

Well, ESPN will have its chance again two seasons from now, when the NHL may or may not be rebuilt. At present, I'll bet its execs aren't shedding tears.

NOTE: I do wish the NHL was on national TV (the kind that regular folks get, not OLN). My choices tonight include three basketball broadcasts: Regular season NBA, NIT, and women's NCAA. Not appetizing. So far, the best bet seems to be "Six Degrees of Francis Bacon" on The History Channel.

Are you freaking kidding me? I'd rather be a sitting US President watching a live production of "Our American Cousin."

Well, ESPN will have its chance again two seasons from now, when the NHL may or may not be rebuilt. At present, I'll bet its execs aren't shedding tears.

NOTE: I do wish the NHL was on national TV (the kind that regular folks get, not OLN). My choices tonight include three basketball broadcasts: Regular season NBA, NIT, and women's NCAA. Not appetizing. So far, the best bet seems to be "Six Degrees of Francis Bacon" on The History Channel.

Are you freaking kidding me? I'd rather be a sitting US President watching a live production of "Our American Cousin."

Maybe we can take a collection and get you 'Center Ice'. A Hockey fan is a terrible thing to waste.

Maybe we can take a collection and get you 'Center Ice'. A Hockey fan is a terrible thing to waste.

Nah, I found the solution! The Buffalo St. Pat's parade is on Adelphia RIGHT NOW. Hutch Tech band and everything! It's almost as good as watching it live, except without the alcohol and drunk, easy women.

On second thought, back to "Six Degrees of Francis Bacon."

Nah, I found the solution! The Buffalo St. Pat's parade is on Adelphia RIGHT NOW. Hutch Tech band and everything! It's almost as good as watching it live, except without the alcohol and drunk, easy women.

On second thought, back to "Six Degrees of Francis Bacon."

I will continue to watch the Devils and Flyers and weap for you :rolleyes:

Archived