The $5.3 Mil Shadow?

deluca67

good point! Its because hes such a nice guy and he never makes glaringly bad defensive plays so we all forget about him. But I think he should be traded. In the last 14 days pommers has done the following: 2g, 0a, 0+-, 0pm, 1pp, 19sog. To put that in perspective, Boyes who makes less money has the following counting tonight: 3g, 3a, +2, 0pm, 2pp, 17sog. So pommers basically just kinda exists on the borderline of doing nothing but producing every now an again so hes the perfect shadow. Hes only there when the sun comes out... which doesnt happen alot in buffalo.

good point! Its because hes such a nice guy and he never makes glaringly bad defensive plays so we all forget about him. But I think he should be traded. In the last 14 days pommers has done the following: 2g, 0a, 0+-, 0pm, 1pp, 19sog. To put that in perspective, Boyes who makes less money has the following counting tonight: 3g, 3a, +2, 0pm, 2pp, 17sog. So pommers basically just kinda exists on the borderline of doing nothing but producing every now an again so hes the perfect shadow. Hes only there when the sun comes out... which doesnt happen alot in buffalo.

Boyes had 17 shots?

FWIW, I have been a consistent critic of Pommer's contract and continue to think it is DR's all-time worst move.

Boyes had 17 shots?

FWIW, I have been a consistent critic of Pommer's contract and continue to think it is DR's all-time worst move.

In the last 14days counting tonight yes. And its high on darcys bad contracts list if not at the top.

Jason Pominville since Briere/Drury left:

2007-08: 82gp 27g 53a 80pts +16 2ppg 25ppa 1gwg 232sog

2008-09: 82gp 20g 46a 66pts -4 6ppg 18ppa 2gwg 239sog

2009-10: 82gp 24g 38a 62pts +13 8ppg 12ppa 2gwg 252sog

2010-11: 53gp 15g 20a 35pts -5 5ppg 5ppa 1gwg 160sog

he has a grand total of 6game winning goals in 4 years. He is supposed to be our top rw and yet Stafford has assumed that role quite nicely. For 5.3mil his goals and assists should be way up considering what other 5.3mil ppl make in this league. Darcy says ":oops: "

OK - before I joined this Forum I'd witnessed people consistently bash Pomminstein. Instinctively, I agree with many of the negative feelings, as I share in feeling many of these myself. For example, I want to Van Gogh my ears when he begins the same recurring post-game interview script, during which his mind reaches into a tiny bag of about 100 vague pop team-sports psychology words, jumbles them up in real-time, and then inserts them into a series of redundant/meaningless statements of BS regressive positivity beginning with "We just need to do a better job..."

My question: can anyone with genuine hockey insight explain to me what has happened to Pomminstein these past couple of years? Was he overrated? Were his abilities inflated by the chemistry/personnel -- Drury and Brier -- of teams past? Lingering effects of the concussion? Please try to do this without qualifying your rationale with "He sucks" etc. etc.

Thanks guys and gals

OK - before I joined this Forum I'd witnessed people consistently bash Pomminstein. Instinctively, I agree with many of the negative feelings, as I share in feeling many of these myself. For example, I want to Van Gogh my ears when he begins the same recurring post-game interview script, during which his mind reaches into a tiny bag of about 100 vague pop team-sports psychology words, jumbles them up in real-time, and then inserts them into a series of redundant/meaningless statements of BS regressive positivity beginning with "We just need to do a better job..."

My question: can anyone with genuine hockey insight explain to me what has happened to Pomminstein these past couple of years? Was he overrated? Were his abilities inflated by the chemistry/personnel -- Drury and Brier -- of teams past? Lingering effects of the concussion? Please try to do this without qualifying your rationale with "He sucks" etc. etc.

Thanks guys and gals

Personally, I think he just fell victim to the "core" syndrome.

A batch of young players, who came into the NHL from the AHL, to support a veteran contigent of forwards like Briere, Drury, Grier, Hecht and Dumont

Also, they came up when the league was strictly enforcing it's "no touch new NHL policy", which along with Briere and Drury, made it a lot easier for these kids to succeed right off the bat. They went to two straight ECF's, and won a Presidents Trophy in the process.

During their first two seasons in the NHL, guys like Roy, Pominville and Vanek learned nothing, except how to succeed, and that working hard to succeed wasn't always necessary, as the "no touch" years made it easier for a team like the Sabres to turn on the jets for parts of the game, and still win.

Remember how many times the Presidents Trophy team came back from a 2 goal deficit? Wasn't hard to do for a fast, skilled team like the Sabres, because clamping down in the regular season in those days was impossible. Only when getting reasonably deep in the playoffs did the ref's swallows their whistles and revert to something looking like pre-lockout rules, and the more the game changed, the more the Sabres offense suffered.

Grier and Dumont left in 06, and the next year Drury and Briere was goners as well. All of the sudden, our no. 1 center was called Tim Connolly. A guy who spent more time on IR than on the ice, and when he did play, contributed nothing at all. This, however, didn't mean anything and Timmy is still here, playing in all situations, and even got a 50% raise in the process.

Once the Sabres started losing, the same group of players suddenly learned that it didn't really matter whether or not they won or lost. They were still getting resigned to big contracts, got as much icetime as they wanted, and even got to keep hanging out with their Rochester frat buddies.

Also, he gets to learn from a coach who doesn't know the meaning of accountability, as he's in his thirteenth year of his first headcoaching job.

To sum up, I believe Pominville has learned the following things in Buffalo :

1. You can win without working hard.

2. Losing is of no real consequence, nobody is accountable.

3. You don't have to succeed to land the big contract.

4. You don't even have to play half the time, to land the big contract.

5. You don't have to play well, or even work hard, to get top line icetime.

6. You don't have to play well to be on the PP.

7. You won't be scratched. Ever.

8. You won't be traded. Ever.

We can't blame Pominville for being the player he is. He's exactly what the Sabres taught him to be.

First off, It is not Pominville's fault that everyone on this team was allowed to walk besides him, Roy, Vanek, and Connolly. Nobody on the team, exept maybe Roy, has had the point production they had in 06-07.

I thought he was one of our better forwards last season. He had 62 points, He killed penalties, was a +13, and he actually scored in the playoffs. He doesn't take dumb penalties. Pominville had that concussion at the start of the season that has slowed him down, but I think he's rebounding. If there was a legitimate center on this team, maybe our wingers would be able to do something.

The only thing wrong with Pominville is his contract. If he was making 3.5/4, he would be considered a valuable member of this team. He has been a consistent top 50 scorer and is as responsible defensively as any forward on this team and a part of a penalty killing unit that until this year consistently ranked as one of the league's best.

Thanks guys and gals

If you had to carry around an additional "M" everywhere you went, you would be tired too...

The only thing wrong with Pominville is his contract. If he was making 3.5/4, he would be considered a valuable member of this team. He has been a consistent top 50 scorer and is as responsible defensively as any forward on this team and a part of a penalty killing unit that until this year consistently ranked as one of the league's best.

PK is 19th and I think has been very inconsistent. I agree about Pominville. He is a decent player just a bit overpaid.

I agree 100%.

You're right.

So I guess all we have to do is ask him to donate 2 mill. to a charity of his own choosing every year, and I promise I won't be so hard on him :thumbsup:

Thanks guys and gals

I believe Pommer's is a good 2 way forward. A line 2 Right Winger. He had success when playing with Drury and Briere (especially as Briere's Right Winger). He also found his way into the 60+ point column and some chemistry with Hecht and Connolly.

I don't think it is so much Pominville's play as it is the chemistry with linemate's this season and the level of talent from those linemates.

The larger picture for the Sabres isn't just Pominville's woes either by the way. Stafford, Vanek, Ennis and Connolly are not finding the net at all.

To me, this all points directly back to the Center position and Buffalo's lack of talent and depth in that position.

The Buffalo Sabres will not compete for squat until the address the overhaul of the Center position with some real talent in my opinion.

This. Succint, to the point, and entirely accurate. He can play in all situations, and rarelt hurts the team. You would just like more offensive pop from a guy getting paid 5.3 mil. He should give Briere a blumpkin tomorrow for helping him get that contract.

A large number of people say that Pommers isnt as good cuz our centers arent and I agree 100%. Pommers is not Gaborik and hes been struggling but like the stats I showed earlier, other than this year hes been fine except hes overpaid. I think even with Connolly playing a bit better, Boyes should get a chance to center a Vanek and Pommer/stafford line. Whats the worst that could happen? After one period it isnt working so you switch them back. The other thing about pommers is he isnt terribly strong along the boards, hes just kinda goes in and if he gets the puck ok if not o well. He hasnt been battling much this year and thats why hes kinda crappy.

A large number of people say that Pommers isnt as good cuz our centers arent and I agree 100%. Pommers is not Gaborik and hes been struggling but like the stats I showed earlier, other than this year hes been fine except hes overpaid. I think even with Connolly playing a bit better, Boyes should get a chance to center a Vanek and Pommer/stafford line. Whats the worst that could happen? After one period it isnt working so you switch them back. The other thing about pommers is he isnt terribly strong along the boards, hes just kinda goes in and if he gets the puck ok if not o well. He hasnt been battling much this year and thats why hes kinda crappy.

Why do you constantly advocate moving Boyes to center? He's not an NHL center and never has been and while he isn't bad with the puck I have seen nothing in his game that would suggest he would suddenly turn into a puck lugging or dishing centerman if moved there.

Why do you constantly advocate moving Boyes to center? He's not an NHL center and never has been and while he isn't bad with the puck I have seen nothing in his game that would suggest he would suddenly turn into a puck lugging or dishing centerman if moved there.

He doesn't have the look of a center in my opinion. He's got very good vision, but I don't think he's the answer for zone entries, or play behind the net.

So he's neither a possession type center, or dump and grind it out center.

Survey sez: Not a center.

I thought I recalled reading that Boyes played some center in StL. Who was the center on that Kariya-Boyes-Tkachuck line when Boyes had his best year stats-wise?

Archived