Vanek on Roy (well, not literally)

PASabreFan

I heard Vanek say basically the same thing on WGR the other day. He's probably explained it many different times to different media members and it may not always come out the way he means it. The time I heard it, it didn't at all sound like any shots were being thrown Roy's direction. It sounded like he was just saying his role is different now with Roy out in that they look to him to carry the puck more.

the quote was taken out of context.

The original question asked Vanek if he had to carry the puck through neutral ice more with Roy out. This was played on GR during the pregame yesterday.

Good clarification.

Still though I think it does beg the question to some degree that PA has asked about Lindy and TV.

Should Vaneks' role have been expanded more prior to Roy's injury or should he use him in different situations?

The original question asked Vanek if he had to carry the puck through neutral ice more with Roy out. This was played on GR during the pregame yesterday.

"Out of context" makes no sense here. I can't find the clip on GR to hear what you are referring to.

They play two different styles of hockey imo. You could argue they should have never been on the same line. They can produce together but do not compliment each others styles imo. Derek is a create your own scoring chances, shoot first kind of player.I can not tell you how many times he has shot with another player open with a better angle, but it is many many times. He likes to put the puck on the net regardless of the probablity of scoring.( a strategy Lindy loves,but different than Vanek's) He is less durable in a physical game and moore durable on the defensive side. Vanek is a more patient sniper with better vision and excellent hands. He has hockey sense and is less of a me guy with the puck than other players in his salary range. He looks more often than not to pass when he has a low percentage shot or angle. I do not mean to demean either style . I like them both but, i think Thomas makes DR better. The converse is not necessarily true because i think Vanek needs more of a playmaker center with size and a physical game to maximize his potential. He needs to touch the puck more in a scoring positions and that will not happen with DR as often as it should because of the style difference. DR deserves and needs his own line. Oh my, two scoring lines, opposing coaches having to think about which line to throw their number one pair at, or who to man up on or double and when.(we are seeing a little bit of this now with the checking line and Drew's line heating up, scoring wise). It would also be interesting to see Gaustad in front of the net on a pp and Thomas outside as an experiment.

TomVanek is definitely an enigma. In one sense, he is the best sniper on this team. At the same time, he's also the best guy in front of the net on this team. Every time I see Vanek on a clean break, I'm already yelling goal. But he's not much of a dangler. But he's so sure handed.

Idk what to say. It's tough to figure out what he needs.

TomVanek is definitely an enigma. In one sense, he is the best sniper on this team. At the same time, he's also the best guy in front of the net on this team. Every time I see Vanek on a clean break, I'm already yelling goal. But he's not much of a dangler. But he's so sure handed.

Idk what to say. It's tough to figure out what he needs.

He needs a Chris D and/ or a Danny B and, on the power play,or both of them with a Spacek. :D

"Out of context" makes no sense here. I can't find the clip on GR to hear what you are referring to.

"Getting the puck more" has to do with him assuming more puck carrying duties up the ice, and is not a reference to Roy's lack of dishing him the puck. Which is what you were inferring.

This is how I took it.

The Sabres wingers are carrying the puck through the neutral zone more with Roy out.

Case in point: Stafford's multiple failed entries on the last Sabre PP today.

A low point in an otherwise outstanding game for him. Usually that would be

Connolly or Roy.

Archived