Patrick Kaleta is back, who sits?

BuffaloFansR_Crazy

I think Niedermayer is most deserving but I expect Byron will be back in Portland. The head scratcher will be that Byron is a center. So what happens at center? Kaleta plays wing on McCormick's line and McCormick moves over to center? That would make for the least amount of disruption.

I think Niedermayer is most deserving but I expect Byron will be back in Portland. The head scratcher will be that Byron is a center. So what happens at center? Kaleta plays wing on McCormick's line and McCormick moves over to center? That would make for the least amount of disruption.

Prob would put Niedermayer at center, and he and Gaustad center Gerbe/McCormick or Kaleta/Grier.

'Nieds, Gaustad, Grier' is Buffalo's most persistent line. We've watched Lindy long enough to know that he values veterans. He consistently puts these guys out there when the lead is being defended or when they need a goal. There is no way, short of injury, he benches anyone on this line. Like or dislike Nieds, he's playing. We ALL know it. It doesn't matter what their points are/aren't. Lindy will play them..

oh.. Kaleta sits. Let him really heal up.

Most likely what is going to happen.

Sad too really. Byron, Ennis and Stafford line was really clicking.

It's the only thing I don't like about Lindy Ruff's coaching, the constant line combination switching.

It's the only thing I don't like about Lindy Ruff's coaching, the constant line combination switching.

agree, that and the lousy handling of the goalie situation. I mean, is Miller REALLY going to play every single game from here on out? Or is it more likely that once Portland's season is over, they bring Enroth up for a few games?

'Nieds, Gaustad, Grier' is Buffalo's most persistent line. We've watched Lindy long enough to know that he values veterans. He consistently puts these guys out there when the lead is being defended or when they need a goal. There is no way, short of injury, he benches anyone on this line. Like or dislike Nieds, he's playing. We ALL know it. It doesn't matter what their points are/aren't. Lindy will play them..

Good call.

It's been TC-Ennis-Stafford and Byron-Gerbe-McCormick (with Vanek subbing for Gerbe on occasion) for the last couple of games.

Kaleta should sit. He's a good hitter/agitator, but I don't see much else from him unless the Sabres are playing the Rangers.

Knowing that Lindy won't sit Niedermayer or Grier, the obvious move is to send Byron back to Portland, and get Kaleta back in.

PS As far as what Kaleta brings to the table, lets flashback to how he was most recently injured...Despite having an injured hand, he lays out to block a shot from the point. How many Sabres forwards do you see going down to block shots EVER?

Lindy clearly loves the veterans and won't sit Neids, so it's pretty obvious when Kaleta gets back that Byron goes back to Portland. He's done it 100 times.

Lindy clearly hates to mess with what's working and even when injured players get back he sits them until the lineup that's winning starts to lose. He's done it 100 times.

Hmmmm...

I'm with X on this one. I think Kaleta sits on Sunday. If we win, he probably sits until we lose.

agree, that and the lousy handling of the goalie situation. I mean, is Miller REALLY going to play every single game from here on out? Or is it more likely that once Portland's season is over, they bring Enroth up for a few games?

We are looking to make the Playoffs right now, this is our season, every game matters and can't be wasted, once we are in and hopefully comfortable, miller will get a rest. Right now he is coming off a huge rest period as per the All Star break and can handle this load while we make the playoff push, sadly even Enroth doesn't keep us in all the games that Miller has played so far, he is the real reason we are winning....

Neidermeyer and Grier have been effective in lockdown. Having them is like driving a backhoe.

It ain't gonna look very sexy, but you can get some useful stuff done with a backhoe.

Neidermeyer and Grier have been effective in lockdown. Having them is like driving a backhoe.

It ain't gonna look very sexy, but you can get some useful stuff done with a backhoe.

Until they meet teams like Philly, Boston or Pittsburg in the Eastern Conference.

Then they become liabilities.

They are basically useless for any type of playoff run.

Especially against a team like Philly where their "effective lockdown" style will be useless.

These guys need to go in my opinion.

Does Byron have the kind of contract that allows him to stay up indefinitely? I could see him getting sent back down either way. He has cooled off considerably since his hot start. Gerbe has been pretty invisible lately, too. Maybe he gets the hook for a while.

He's in the first year of his 3 year entry level deal. He's a long way off from being waiver eligible (I'm not sure on his age, but his limit should be somewhere around 80-120 NHL games). He's obviously not hitting that limit any time soon, so he's free to move back and forth as much as they want him to. The only other issue in play is that once the trade deadline passes, there is a limit on the number of non-emergency AHL callups.

I get the backlash against Neids, but I don't think it has been completely justified. He's here to play defense, not to score goals. Grier's a +4 and Neids is a -1. Those are some solid numbers considering their complete lack of offense. As a whole, they're getting the job done in their end of the ice. Someone needs to do it.

I'm not aware of any stat for it, but I'd love to see something on the PK efficiency of specific players. Something like power play goals allowed per minute of shorthanded ice time. I haven't paid enough attention to notice which PKers are typically on the ice when the team gives up PP goals.

No they don't.

45 seconds left. 1 goal lead. Draw in the defensive zone.

Boston throws out Lucic, Krieji, Horton

Nieds, Gaustad, Grier make a ton of sense in that scenario.

Not to me they don't.

The lack of speed and any type of puck control ability will kill them, as it always does.

They play a great deal of their game in their own zone or nuetral zone, not really a recipe for success.

I've seen Grier and Nieds cough the puck up so many times this season.

Archived