[OT] Pegula's drilling

Skibum

I'm sure most of you have seen the piece in the BN about Pegula's poor environmental record and Chicago-style greasing of the political wheels. For those who haven't:

Link

On the one hand, I am a conservationist at heart. On the other hand, I have always felt that if you don't like the sausage-making that is part of mining and resource extraction, then you should be willing to forsake all modern technology and join up with the Amish, because everything we do and all that we are as a society depends on this stuff. That said, it appears that Mr. Pegula's company has a worse record than most, and that he's bought himself a lot of influence in high places, from politicians who likely believe that global warming is a hoax, evolution is a lie, and science is the enemy.

So, in light of this airing of Pegula's track record, does anyone else feel a little dirty now?

I'm sure most of you have seen the piece in the BN about Pegula's poor environmental record and Chicago-style greasing of the political wheels. For those who haven't:

Link

On the one hand, I am a conservationist at heart. On the other hand, I have always felt that if you don't like the sausage-making that is part of mining and resource extraction, then you should be willing to forsake all modern technology and join up with the Amish, because everything we do and all that we are as a society depends on this stuff. That said, it appears that Mr. Pegula's company has a worse record than most, and that he's bought himself a lot of influence in high places, from politicians who likely believe that global warming is a hoax, evolution is a lie, and science is the enemy.

So, in light of this airing of Pegula's track record, does anyone else feel a little dirty now?

Why should any of us feel dirty? Guilt by association? Give it a rest. Pegula is the only one who has to answer for his sins if indeed any exist. Because I am a fan of a hockey team owned by Pegula brings me no closer to the dirt than if I was his son. Half the billionaire owners in sport probably have dirty hands in some form or another. None of these guys are choir boys.

Why should I feel dirty?

My only alliance to TP involves an entertainment company. I am perfectly willing and able to separate his other business interests from his interests in the hockey team I root for. And I'm nowhere near convinced that he'd done anything unethical with his NG dealings anyway. When some unethical practice comes to light maybe I'll change my opinion, but as of now I'm not seeing his NG dealings as anything beyond environmentally controversial, like offshore oil drilling or wind turbines in semi-rural townships. And his political donations is par for the course. Folks at his level on the ladder do it. All of them. If you don't like it, change the laws re: political contributions. TP was just using the system as presented to him, like everyone else.

I created a post regarding Mr. Pegula's hyrdo-fracking as soon as he came into the spotlight but nobody wanted to talk about it and I was labeled a liberal hippie

hydro-fracking thread from december

Sit down you smelly hippie! :nana:

I keed. I keed. :P

There may be more conversation now that the BN is doing some dirt digging. I doubt it was a slight on you.

Anyone notice the double standard at BN? No big expose on Golisano's wheel greasing was done that I remember. And his alliance with Steve Pigeon should have been enough to trigger some sort of info gathering. Cuz *that guy* is a real greaseball.

All I can say is that the Buffalo News is really pathetic!! They will go to any lengths to sell newspapers and get headlines. This stuff about Pegula, and last year the news posted that 9 out of the 10 victims shot outside a club in downtown buffalo had previous criminal records (and it was on the front page).

The ex Mayor of Washington DC was a crackhead, everyone's got skeletons. If TP brings winning and the playoffs back to Buffalo, I don't care if he's drilling Regier's wife.

That BN article was a one sided smear piece - did you see where all the quotes were from? Environmental groups - every last one of them - surprise, surpise - they don't like pegs.

What wasn't covered or discussed was the extent to which the violations were due to the actions of outside contractors on his wells. There are usually 4 or 5 different layers of contractors working on these rigs - the well is dug by a contractor, the drilling equipment is leased from a different company, the pad is prepared by a third company - there are more freaking people involved in these drilling operations than you can shake a stick at. Don't believe it? Check the names on the trucks at any local watering hole in Bradford, Tioga or Potter County, PA.

These companies have everybody and their brother working in the industry in some capacity. The name on the well doesn't control what all of the subcontractors are doing and whether their equipment and practices are up to snuff.

Don't like natural gas? Better buy a splitting maul and learn how to use it.

That BN article was a one sided smear piece - did you see where all the quotes were from? Environmental groups - every last one of them - surprise, surpise - they don't like pegs.

What wasn't covered or discussed was the extent to which the violations were due to the actions of outside contractors on his wells. There are usually 4 or 5 different layers of contractors working on these rigs - the well is dug by a contractor, the drilling equipment is leased from a different company, the pad is prepared by a third company - there are more freaking people involved in these drilling operations than you can shake a stick at. Don't believe it? Check the names on the trucks at any local watering hole in Bradford, Tioga or Potter County, PA.

These companies have everybody and their brother working in the industry in some capacity. The name on the well doesn't control what all of the subcontractors are doing and whether their equipment and practices are up to snuff.

Don't like natural gas? Better buy a splitting maul and learn how to use it.

To be fair they tried to get TP to comment and he passed. It's not like the BN didn't try to balance it out. You can't make someone talk to you.

PTR

To be fair they tried to get TP to comment and he passed. It's not like the BN didn't try to balance it out. You can't make someone talk to you.

PTR

For some, a piece of journalism that differs from their view of reality only means that the writer is biased or far left or far right.

Youre right, they did try to offer both sides but one declined, so this is what was generated.

As if Rigas was a saint, or TG, or any pro sports owner.

For some, a piece of journalism that differs from their view of reality only means that the writer is biased or far left or far right.

How ironic that you chose this as your response. So in your view one phone call to pegs constitute a fair attempt at providing the other side of the story? Really? How about a phone call to an industry group, or another driller, or energy company, or actually looking at the violations to see of they were for something substantive or an idiot subcontractor who wasn't wearing his hard helmet.

The news did nothing to explain to us what these violations consist of, interviewed a couple of fringe environmental groups, and made a phone call to pegs they knew would never be returned.

That's some real investigative journalism there!

How ironic that you chose this as your response. So in your view one phone call to pegs constitute a fair attempt at providing the other side of the story? Really? How about a phone call to an industry group, or another driller, or energy company, or actually looking at the violations to see of they were for something substantive or an idiot subcontractor who wasn't wearing his hard helmet.

The news did nothing to explain to us what these violations consist of, interviewed a couple of fringe environmental groups, and made a phone call to pegs they knew would never be returned.

That's some real investigative journalism there!

do you know if they contacted groups for quotes? do you know if it was just one phone call?

Its not a staple of journalism to list all those you contacted for a story, usually just the direct parties involved.

do you know if they contacted groups for quotes? do you know if it was just one phone call?

Its not a staple of journalism to list all those you contacted for a story, usually just the direct parties involved.

Its not a staple of hit pieces, but it is a staple of a journalist attempting to put together a fair and unbiased piece instead of a hatchet job.

This piece skews and obfuscates facts and numbers - to the uneducated, undiscerning reader pegs is an environmental rapist. To those who know which end is up, the piece raises more questions than it answers. The only real questions that are answered are the stance of the reporter himself and the intent of his article.

I could not care less about TP's fricking, fracking, frucking, etc..., nor do I care about the Buffalo News being out to get him before he even takes ownership.

All I care about, is if he can bring a Cup championship to Buffalo.

Amen to that!

All I can say is that the Buffalo News is really pathetic!! They will go to any lengths to sell newspapers and get headlines. This stuff about Pegula, and last year the news posted that 9 out of the 10 victims shot outside a club in downtown buffalo had previous criminal records (and it was on the front page).

Isn't that what you are supposed to do in today's newspaper business?

Archived