The vertically challenged

inkman

Well, Roy would probably bring the most back, but with the impending departure of TC, the Sabres will already be down a center. I have a hard time seeing them trade Roy unless it's for another center (like, say, Spezza).

A trade along those lines would work for me.

And as mentioned earlier, Gerbe is building value. And Ennis has value. Maybe they don't bring in a "name" player like Roy would, but they certainly ought to be worth a good forward with maybe a different set of attributes, especially if packaged up with another asset.

Gerbe's size seems to have little affect on his play. Same with Ennis, or Roy for that matter. These guys are real strong on their skates. Would anyone complain if Briere came back? These guys are scoring goals, and that's what wins hockey games. Wayne Gretzkey was not big.

Does anyone sleep better at night knowing that Shoan Morrison is tall? I think this size issue is kind of misplaced.

Does anyone sleep better at night knowing that Shoan Morrison is tall? I think this size issue is kind of misplaced.

Individually it's probably not an issue but collectively could they stand up to the rigors of playoff hockey, taking a beating from a team like the Flyers. Looking at last season's playoff against the B's may shed some light on the predicament.

Individually it's probably not an issue but collectively could they stand up to the rigors of playoff hockey, taking a beating from a team like the Flyers. Looking at last season's playoff against the B's may shed some light on the predicament.

yep.

I agree to a certain extent. If you remember some guys really stepped up vs the B's. Mainly Grier and ENNIS!! Ennis was strong with the puck and created space whenever he got the puck no matter his size. I think the quickness of Ennis Gerbe and Roy should mesh well with the likes of Kassian, Kaleta, Mccormick who should create room on the ice.

I'm pretty sure the Sabres outhit the Bruins in that series.

I don't believe Byron is at the point where he is in any serious discussion for next season even with his recent call-up.

I take this back. He was one of the best forwards on the ice last night - albeit against a weak team - along with Ennis. I had a funny, but far more serious than I would have thought, thought last night: what would have happened had Gerbe replaced Stafford on Byron's right wing? Then, I had a disturbing image run through my head: watching a 63-24-42 banner set raised to the roof along side of the French Connection. Haven't come up with a clever name yet, though (something more creative and less insulting than mighty mites.)

I take this back. He was one of the best forwards on the ice last night - albeit against a weak team - along with Ennis. I had a funny, but far more serious than I would have thought, thought last night: what would have happened had Gerbe replaced Stafford on Byron's right wing? Then, I had a disturbing image run through my head: watching a 63-24-42 banner set raised to the roof along side of the French Connection. Haven't come up with a clever name yet, though (something more creative and less insulting than mighty mites.)

These three smurfs are so far removed from being compared to the french connection in every aspect except perhaps speed. I can only imagine if we squeek into the playoffs and have to play Philly or Boston in the first round where liberties are allowed and the bigger and meaner players literally have their way with small skilled players. I will admit that the Ennis line in particular looked dangerous everytime he carried the puck against the sens. Gerbe has been real good lately as well.

A trade along those lines would work for me.

And as mentioned earlier, Gerbe is building value. And Ennis has value. Maybe they don't bring in a "name" player like Roy would, but they certainly ought to be worth a good forward with maybe a different set of attributes, especially if packaged up with another asset.

You're really underselling Ennis. He has "value"? I think he's already the second best offensive player on our team and he's only 21. I don't care that he's 5'9", the guy is flat out good and getting better.

I think Gerbe and Byron are two players who may turn out to have more value than we had anticipated.

Gerbe's size seems to have little affect on his play. Same with Ennis, or Roy for that matter. These guys are real strong on their skates. Would anyone complain if Briere came back? These guys are scoring goals, and that's what wins hockey games. Wayne Gretzkey was not big.

I agree with most of this, although I don't think Ennis is strong on his skates. Gerbe is though, and Byron is more so than I expected.

I think the Flyers are too good, but Boston is beatable. I don't think the Sabres were out-physicaled last year in the playoffs by Boston -- just outscored in key moments of the games (especially on special teams). Recchi is on the small side, but he stepped up and won a playoff game for Boston last year.

I don't really expect Byron to keep producing at a high level yet, but Gerbe and Ennis really could, and both of those guys have been productive on the PP. Also, Gerbe has a history of producing in crunch time, and I can see him doing so for the Sabres in the playoffs -- not shrinking from the moment like the rest of the alleged "top 6" did last spring.

I take this back. He was one of the best forwards on the ice last night - albeit against a weak team - along with Ennis.

He really was, wasn't he? Surprisingly effective.

Byron's in his second game, against a horrible opponent, and playing in his home town. He has looked solid, but we can't get ahead of ourselves with him just yet. Hopefully he does continue to develop, but for the good of this team longterm, the next two years of that development need to be in Portland.

As far as your line suggestions, I kind of enjoyed watching that Stafford-Byron-Gerbe combination and thinking of Stafford as a babysitter (no, not that kind of babysitter, Inky and GoDD :rolleyes: ).

I don't think the Sabres were out-physicaled last year in the playoffs by Boston -- just outscored in key moments of the games (especially on special teams). Recchi is on the small side, but he stepped up and won a playoff game for Boston last year.

I couldn't disagree more. And the series clinching goal was only one example of how this team was outmuscled last year.

The Sabres were game in that series. They put in a great effort but couldn't overcome Boston's physical edge. They were shown to be too small and timid overall. I cannot see how this year could turn out any different in the playoffs.

I couldn't disagree more. And the series clinching goal was only one example of how this team was outmuscled last year.

The Sabres were game in that series. They put in a great effort but couldn't overcome Boston's physical edge. They were shown to be too small and timid overall. I cannot see how this year could turn out any different in the playoffs.

If Miller protects a pair of two-goal leads, the Sabres lead the series three games to one heading back to Buffalo. If the power play scores a goal here or there, same scenario.

These three smurfs are so far removed from being compared to the french connection in every aspect except perhaps speed.

I was kidding, of course. Just found the thought amusing, especially with how watered down people feel their retired numbers group is.

Byron's in his second game, against a horrible opponent, and playing in his home town. He has looked solid, but we can't get ahead of ourselves with him just yet. Hopefully he does continue to develop, but for the good of this team longterm, the next two years of that development need to be in Portland.

As far as your line suggestions, I kind of enjoyed watching that Stafford-Byron-Gerbe combination and thinking of Stafford as a babysitter (no, not that kind of babysitter, Inky and GoDD :rolleyes: ).

Oh, I know, but I didn't think he was really a possibility and his play got me thinking that there is at least a possibility down the road. I wasn't really suggesting that they swap in Gerbe for Stafford. Again, it was just a funny thought.

If Vanek didn't get hurt we might have won and then it would be Boston crying because the Sabres were tougher than them. Skill, speed and hockey smarts trump toughness and hitting most nights.

If Vanek didn't get hurt we might have won and then it would be Boston crying because the Sabres were tougher than them. Skill, speed and hockey smarts trump toughness and hitting most nights.

But you need both to win in the playoffs. We found out the hard way in 2007.

If Miller protects a pair of two-goal leads, the Sabres lead the series three games to one heading back to Buffalo. If the power play scores a goal here or there, same scenario.

You guys are using way too many "if's" to make your point. Those "if's" exsist somewhere south of reality. Reality was, we lost that series. Boston had lots of excuses they could've drummed up too if they were on the losing end.

I don't think any of Roy, Pommer, Stafford or TC -- ie the Sabres' best offensive players once Vanek got hurt -- was game or put in a great effort in that series. I thought each of them shrank from the moment and was generally lousy-to-terrible. If the Sabres were heading into the playoffs relying on the same group of bozos to generate offense, I would be as pessimistic as you are. But Roy is gone and TC will probably (maybe) be gone, Stafford is much better this year than last, Vanek probably won't get hurt again and the smurfs have added a new dimension on offense.

Keep hope alive!

Can't argue with this.

Just an average power play from Buffalo wins that series.

The games were razor tight, but Buffalo was equally physical in that series, save for the mauling Boychuk put on Vanek, it was really the perimeter and under 200 lb players of Boston that came on strong for Boston...Satan, Ryder, Weidman, Kreiji.

Lucic wasn't much of a presence at all . And although Wheeler had a very good series, I don't think he was or is particulary physical.

Sabovka (sp?) was probably their most physical player, he probably goes 170.

Just an average power play from Buffalo wins that series.

The games were razor tight, but Buffalo was equally physical in that series, save for the mauling Boychuk put on Vanek, it was really the perimeter and under 200 lb players of Boston that came on strong for Boston...Satan, Ryder, Weidman, Kreiji.

Lucic wasn't much of a presence at all . And although Wheeler had a very good series, I don't think he was or is particulary physical.

Sabovka (sp?) was probably their most physical player, he probably goes 170.

+1

So what is the best name for this group or should we start a poll. There was a chihuahua reference last night and I put out the Lollipop kids, but I am sure there is a much better reference. Gerbe is a riot. In Boston last week he challenged Chara and last night he verbally assaulted Chris Neil after he tussled with Miller. Neil had a look on his face of confusion about what to do with Gerbe as Gerbe called him a "real man" if my lip reading skills are correct.

So what is the best name for this group or should we start a poll. There was a chihuahua reference last night and I put out the Lollipop kids, but I am sure there is a much better reference. Gerbe is a riot. In Boston last week he challenged Chara and last night he verbally assaulted Chris Neil after he tussled with Miller. Neil had a look on his face of confusion about what to do with Gerbe as Gerbe called him a "real man" if my lip reading skills are correct.

I only said Humping Chihuahuas because Gerbe looked like one the game against Montreal. I don't know who he was doing it to because the volume was down and drinks flowing, but whoever he had on the ground....that's what I blurted out.

I had used The Rollercoaster Line last year because nobody was tall enough to ride one. But if these guys stay together, things will pop up.

Archived