GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Don't look now, but Carolina just lost their 2nd straight too.

And Atlanta is sinking like a rock. Playoffs are not as far out as many want to believe. Sabres just need to remain healthy and need somebody to get hot (Pommer and Hecht have been but they will cool off soon). Connolly? Vanek? Gerbe?

And Atlanta is sinking like a rock. Playoffs are not as far out as many want to believe. Sabres just need to remain healthy and need somebody to get hot (Pommer and Hecht have been but they will cool off soon). Connolly? Vanek? Gerbe?

Dude, we aren't healthy now. Our no.1 center is gone for the season.

Even with tonight's win, most of our team is insanely ineffective on the ice. Any time we don't have Ennis or Vanek on the ice, we don't even come close to scoring.

Sabres totally out-worked Canadiens tonight. Nice setup by "Vanek the passer" on game-winner too!

Good to see Scott Gomez wear the goat horns, too...

You guys need to get off the negative-nelly stuff. LONG way to go in season (and should Pegula thing happen, his money is HIS, and not your's to spend at will...). Miller made some good saves, and maybe we can start to get into Price's head again now...

GO SABRES!!

The fans will happily spend his money for him. If he doesn't open up his wallet, he'll be more unpopular than Rigas and Golisano and John Brown and Ralph combined. You really think fans don't have the right to demand he invest in his our team? I'm optimistic that he's not going to assume ownership, walk in and be really impressed by video scouting, an internal budget, waiving a player to save 200k etc.

Sabres totally out-worked Canadiens tonight. Nice setup by "Vanek the passer" on game-winner too!

Good to see Scott Gomez wear the goat horns, too...

You guys need to get off the negative-nelly stuff. LONG way to go in season (and should Pegula thing happen, his money is HIS, and not your's to spend at will...). Miller made some good saves, and maybe we can start to get into Price's head again now...

GO SABRES!!

I guess I should have said score on price to make it clear. Not being negative,just a realist.

As much as I have been down on this team, I would have gone to bed VERY mad if they had not won that game. God do I hate Gomez. Montreal 3 guys down on a back to back.....eesh, a win is a win. Hecht was just brutal - I mean BRUTAL with those missed opps. Nice to see Miller save that game on the breakaway.

Don't be surprised if Montreal starts falling with these injuries......it will be up to price

I don't think he played badly at center...I just don't expect him to score.

Dude, we aren't healthy now. Our no.1 center is gone for the season.

Even with tonight's win, most of our team is insanely ineffective on the ice. Any time we don't have Ennis or Vanek on the ice, we don't even come close to scoring.

Too many NHL games altogether.

The second half is a game of attrition and then the playoffs are a war of attrition.

Am I crazy or was that the best win of the season?

They played with passion and determination. They were tough. Miller was fantastic.

Go Sabres. I'm not giving up.

I refuse to toss my heart onto the playoff bandwagon until I see this crappy team put together 3 wins in a row for the first time this season. They can start by beating Boston on Thursday and the Islanders on Friday. Atlanta, Carolina, and Florida can all be caught, but it will require some measure of consistent winning. This 1 point-per-game average isn't going to cut it.

They played with passion and determination. They were tough. Miller was fantastic.

I agree. That was a different team we saw tonight.

I (we all) get on Ruff about his lines, but when it mattered tonight, he had Gerbe, Goose, and McCormick on the ice, and they deserved it.

Miller looked really good.

That really was a good hockey game.

Any word on Stafford yet?

I saw a game tonight that I thought was very frustrating to watch. They could not bury their chances as usual. Montreal was down probably their best couple forwards and the Sabres didn't really didn't take it too them very well. They don't really play with any presence. If Stafford is out for any period of time after the all-star break, that could be it for our chances no matter how close we are. I really wish they looked better but they certainly have to thank Miller and say what the Hecht for the game going to OT and giving the habs that extra point.

BTW, did seeing Gerbe take the big dude down to the ice, pin him, and then pummel him remind anyone else of the ending to Return of the Jedi?

Jub jub.

That's like the only time Gerbe did anything all game, and that earned him enough votes from the media to earn a 3rd star in this game. The media will fall in love with anything so quickly it's unbelievable.

That's like the only time Gerbe did anything all game, and that earned him enough votes from the media to earn a 3rd star in this game. The media will fall in love with anything so quickly it's unbelievable.

C'mon. No matter what you think, Gerbe definitely earned a star tonight.

Yeah, that and when he drew the penalty that led to us winning the game.

Jub jub, I say. JUB JUB!

EDIT: Nathan Gerbe says: "Back the F*** Off."

This team has only won 12 games this year in regulation. They have needed OT or a shootout in the other 8. Not exactly something to hang your hat on if you really want to believe this team is a real playoff contender. I want to believe but I just can't, especially when we just can't get healthy and definitely won't get Roy back. I know our record has been decent without him, but there is no real confidence on the ice - they look slow and don't have crisp passing and poor puck control. Nobody outside Gaustad can win face-offs. Apparently the apathy in the arena seems to indicate a lot of people agree with me and other posters who feel this way. I hate it, but I'm just not feeling it anymore. I still hope they win, but they aren't enjoyable to watch many nights.

I guess Adam will be making the drive to Boston tomorrow and flight back for the Islander game on Friday with Stafford out. He must feel like a yo-yo.

Biggest win? So far, yeah. Best win......... I'd still say the Columbus game is tough to beat.

Ok. The Philly and NYI losses were tough to stomach. But those games included, the team is 6-2-1 in their last nine. Without their leading scorer up to that point. Am I wrong or is that something to be applauded?

The level of cynicism one has impacts with how we see it. All I will say is that the trend is positive and it's too early to throw in the towel. But it can easily be undone with a bad stretch.

PTR

Archived