GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

We could go round and round about him, but if the Sabres didn't have a Gaustad, they'd have to go out and get somebody like him. Winning 14 possessions ain't chump change. He was practically calling his draws last night, which is a pretty dominant thing to do.

I enjoyed the one faceoff late where the Montreal center got tossed, then Gaustad immediately switched hands, turned around and ordered his d-men to switch sides. It was hilarious.

evidently you saw nothing of last season when Myers was playing.

Calvin, Calvin, Calvin: If you watched him at all last year,you would have noticed that a very gifted twenty year old was playing with a very, very skilled mentor .A partner who not only tutored him but more importantly bailed him out a thousand times when he made a mistake. You may have also noticed the skill sets that needed work in his game. His first four steps are not the fastest ,( he compensates with his reach) his puck handling is average, shot accuracy marginal, his passing average, and most importantly he has problems making a decision in his own end when under pressure. You may have also noticed that the rest of the league changed their book on him this year. He is now taking more pressure on the boards in his own end, getting doubled more often when the opposing team has the proper matchups.He is getting more pressure when he has the puck on the power play. Now, to put all of this in context, he is twenty years old and playing with a less skilled partner. He will get better, much better, but right now all of the defects in his game are getting exposed. The league has adjusted and it is working. Maybe the Sabres should have kept that pairing intact for another year or two? (they would probably be 6-10 points higher in the standings) But then,had the Sabres done that they would not be the Sabres we know or love. Final note: He does not belong on the power play. Get somebody out their who understands what a shooting lane looks like, can pass, and knows how to get a shot consistently on goal.IMO he will never be a Chara, but i am wrong as often as i am right.He is just a baby, will get alot bigger and better. He is a keeper.

Calvin, Calvin, Calvin: If you watched him at all last year,you would have noticed that a very gifted twenty year old was playing with a very, very skilled mentor.

I'd love to know where all of Tallinder's amazing skills were in the time between him breaking his arm against Carolina in Spring 2006 and him being paired up with Tyler Myers in October 2009.

This thing where Sabres fans are re-writing history to make it seem like Myers was benefiting from playing with The Great Henrik Tallinder is complete rubbish. Tallinder went from being a bad NHL defenseman in 2009 to being Tyler Myers' partner in 2010 and now he's back to being a bad NHL defenseman (-21 with 5 points in 45 games) for the absolute worst team in the league. If he's "very, very skilled" at anything, it must be mind control. That's the only way he could make so many fans think he was the one making Myers look good that whole time.

Myers is twenty. TWENTY. He still hasn't even grown into his body. He's nowhere near as big and strong as he's going to be. And he's also still learning the game. I don't know why we're burning calories picking apart his game when 20-year old Tyler Myers isn't going to play much like 25-year old Tyler Myers and probably not even like 22-year old Tyler Myers.

Should the Sabres have tried to make him a no.1 defenseman who plays 30 minutes a game this year? No. But then again this is the dumbass team that re-signed a back-up goalie that they have absolutely no confidence in and don't want to let play ever. And that's after their grand strategy for last year (forcing Miller to play every single game AND in the Olympics) crashed and burned. So once you remember that the Sabres are (1) not serious about winning a championship and (2) run by complete imbeciles, all of this will make sense.

I'd love to know where all of Tallinder's amazing skills were in the time between him breaking his arm against Carolina in Spring 2006 and him being paired up with Tyler Myers in October 2009.

This thing where Sabres fans are re-writing history to make it seem like Myers was benefiting from playing with The Great Henrik Tallinder is complete rubbish. Tallinder went from being a bad NHL defenseman in 2009 to being Tyler Myers' partner in 2010 and now he's back to being a bad NHL defenseman (-21 with 5 points in 45 games) for the absolute worst team in the league. If he's "very, very skilled" at anything, it must be mind control. That's the only way he could make so many fans think he was the one making Myers look good that whole time.

Myers is twenty. TWENTY. He still hasn't even grown into his body. He's nowhere near as big and strong as he's going to be. And he's also still learning the game. I don't know why we're burning calories picking apart his game when 20-year old Tyler Myers isn't going to play much like 25-year old Tyler Myers and probably not even like 22-year old Tyler Myers.

Should the Sabres have tried to make him a no.1 defenseman who plays 30 minutes a game this year? No. But then again this is the dumbass team that re-signed a back-up goalie that they have absolutely no confidence in and don't want to let play ever. And that's after their grand strategy for last year (forcing Miller to play every single game AND in the Olympics) crashed and burned. So once you remember that the Sabres are (1) not serious about winning a championship and (2) run by complete imbeciles, all of this will make sense.

I generally agree with this post, although I do think Tallinder had a very good year last year. It wasn't good enough for me to even consider giving him the kind of deal he got from NJ (or really anything longer than a 2-year deal), but all the same, he played well last year and he and Myers meshed well.

Myers growing into his body is a huge issue. He tried to bulk up in the offseason, which he did, and lost his skating equilibrium. It looks like he has cut the weight since.

e

Could you show me where i rewrote history ?How many games has Tallinder played with the Sabres? What do his stats with the Sabres look like over his seven years? Would you say he was a durable skilled defenseman? Myers is a rookie in his second year. He has proved nothing other than he does not play as well without Tallinder as he did with him. Thatis a FACT..He has big holes in his game ..FACT.He had them last year. I said the kid has potential, that he would grow,.With Tallinder the sum was equal to more than the sum of it's parts...There is no other team in the NHL where Myers would play as half of the numero uno pair.YET.I am tired of listening to the moaners muse about Tyler franchise player,tylers bad year. It is all baloney, Nothing has changed.He is still the kid he was last year.His defects are just more exposed now.He is not a franchise defenseman ...YET.If Myers stats look like Tallinders after seven years with the Sabres he will have become a pretty good defenseman.I doubt that they will. Tallinder ended up as a + player having played most of his 480+ games as a Sabre against the opposing teams best lines.

Archived