Drew Stafford

mrjsbu96

Not many people agree on much around here, but when it comes to overhauling the roster this summer, I think most people on here automatically put Drew Stafford on that list....that said, I am wondering how many people still feel that way?

IMO, the guy has turned it around. I recall a BN article during pre-season about his renewed committment to the game, bulking up, etc., and just prove people wrong. He is not scoring garbage goals, is putting himself in the right position and burying his chances. 13 goals in 20-25 games is a good pace...

Thoughts?

Not many people agree on much around here, but when it comes to overhauling the roster this summer, I think most people on here automatically put Drew Stafford on that list....that said, I am wondering how many people still feel that way?

IMO, the guy has turned it around. I recall a BN article during pre-season about his renewed committment to the game, bulking up, etc., and just prove people wrong. He is not scoring garbage goals, is putting himself in the right position and burying his chances. 13 goals in 20-25 games is a good pace...

Thoughts?

I love Stafford's game this year. It isn't just the goals either. I don't know why it stuck with me, but in a recent game he made a pretty pass off the right offensive boards early in the 3rd period that landed right on the stick of another Sabre who walked in on a great chance. There was something about that play that really struck me as, "this guy is really starting to feel it."

If he stays healthy and continues a reasonable pace then you consider signing him, IMO. Only the guys who see him everyday can really determine the nature of his turn-around though.

I love Stafford's game this year. It isn't just the goals either. I don't know why it stuck with me, but in a recent game he made a pretty pass off the right offensive boards early in the 3rd period that landed right on the stick of another Sabre who walked in on a great chance. There was something about that play that really struck me as, "this guy is really starting to feel it."

If he stays healthy and continues a reasonable pace then you consider signing him, IMO. Only the guys who see him everyday can really determine the nature of his turn-around though.

I guess staying healthy is the key, right? Is this the first year he has had injury problems? I've probably had a few too many tonight and just cant' think back past the third period of the game, let alone Stafford's career...

I guess staying healthy is the key, right? Is this the first year he has had injury problems? I've probably had a few too many tonight and just cant' think back past the third period of the game, let alone Stafford's career...

lol

Stafford's been pretty healthy his entire career.

Tough question. It depends on what he wants. If he doesn't re-sign by the deadline and we're on the outside looking in, i would consider trading him away. If he keeps it up, that could land a 2nd round pick for sure, which would give the Sabres three 2nd round picks in next years draft.

Thoughts?

9 goals in 9 games.

4 goals in 14 games.

If you break it down.

Too many athletes in pro sports nowadays tend to play better in the last year of their contract. Something to keep in mind.

I know that's no big secret, but why would this be any different? I hope I'm wrong, I keep reading about how Stafford did so much during the offseason to improve his game and he's showing it. Maybe he's turned the corner!

lol

Stafford's been pretty healthy his entire career.

Tough question. It depends on what he wants. If he doesn't re-sign by the deadline and we're on the outside looking in, i would consider trading him away. If he keeps it up, that could land a 2nd round pick for sure, which would give the Sabres three 2nd round picks in next years draft.

We have an extra second round pick now?

I HATE that Drew Stafford is making me think twice about not wanting him around. I want the decision to be easy, lik eit was the last 2 seasons. Now he's actually making a good case for keeping him around.

The problem is, which one is the real Drew Stafford? And how much money do you lay down in making the bet?

If he demands $15 million for 5 years, do you do it?

Boy, I dunnoooooooo. The owner has ever right to watch how he spends his money. He has every right to make a profit. That's a lotttttt of money in a small market like Buffalo.

I HATE that Drew Stafford is making me think twice about not wanting him around. I want the decision to be easy, lik eit was the last 2 seasons. Now he's actually making a good case for keeping him around.

The problem is, which one is the real Drew Stafford? And how much money do you lay down in making the bet?

We know which one is the real Drew Stafford just like we knew which was was the real Henrik Tallinder. Beware success in contract years. And even in this contract year, Stafford has been streaky with scoring and horrible in every other aspect of the game.

We know which one is the real Drew Stafford just like we knew which was was the real Henrik Tallinder. Beware success in contract years. And even in this contract year, Stafford has been streaky with scoring and horrible in every other aspect of the game.

On the other hand, it was nice to see in his interview last night that he seemed more mature and didn't bring up his stupid f'n garage band! Still, if he walks, I won't cry. If they overpay him I'd probably grumble

My biggest issue is that, in years past, most of us haven't questioned whether Stafford has the talent, but rather whether he has the heart. I've often classified him as having Kovalevitus (lots of talent, but only shows it when he feels like it.) So, there is the real potential for this to be a contract year performance. I definitely wouldn't be handing him a big or long contract. For the right price, I'd take a chance short-term, but that's it. I'd be OK with his slot being part of the rebuilding process, too.

Drew Stafford is the perfect example of why it is difficult to be a GM. Fans have been all over the Sabres to trade him when he played like crap. What would they have gotten for him? Crap. Now he is playing well and we want to hold on to him to see what happens. Now is the time to trade him even though it is tough to see somebody playing well leave. Now you can actually get some return. We've all watched him. We know he doesn't have heart (or so we thought). If you want to make trades that get you any return, then you have to be willing to give up players that are playing well and may end up making you look stupid in the end. So trade Staffor now! Of course with the ownership change coming, I doubt Darcy is allowed to do anything right now.

This is a no brainer. He's going to be a RFA so unless there's an offer sheet he's going to come at a reasonable price. He's exactly the type of player the Sabres need: big AND skilled, not one or the other.

The guy is a beast to get off the puck when he wants to be and buries his chances. I understand there are questions about his motivation but with the exception of last year his production has improved every year he's been in the league and he is still very young. If you trade him what are the odds of 2nd Round pick ever being better than him? And how many years will that take?

Even if they signed him to a fairly lengthy deal it's pretty low risk as his size and skill level will always make him tradeable, either as a reclamation project or as a complimentary player on a contender.

This is a no brainer. He's going to be a RFA so unless there's an offer sheet he's going to come at a reasonable price. He's exactly the type of player the Sabres need: big AND skilled, not one or the other.

The guy is a beast to get off the puck when he wants to be and buries his chances. I understand there are questions about his motivation but with the exception of last year his production has improved every year he's been in the league and he is still very young. If you trade him what are the odds of 2nd Round pick ever being better than him? And how many years will that take?

Even if they signed him to a fairly lengthy deal it's pretty low risk as his size and skill level will always make him tradeable, either as a reclamation project or as a complimentary player on a contender.

But that is just my point. Why wait until you have to trade him as a reclamation project? And why get just a 2nd rounder? If that is all you get then don't trade him but if that is all you can get for somebody who has all the positives you mentioned then that is a bad GM. Trade him while he is hot. Hotter than he may ever be again in his career. And if nobody wants him, then sure hold on to him but he really should be shopped.

Archived