Drew Stafford

mrjsbu96

Trade him while he's hot!

Nice sig.

F*ck Drew Stafford.

:lol:

Until he's willing to reach his stick out for a puck that's three feet away, I don't want him on this team. No effort unless he's got a scoring opportunity.

IMO he's going into the corners well, gets good position, and is taking and burying his shots this year.

I'd let the RFA play out, no way I'm offering him a contact now.

This is a no brainer. He's going to be a RFA so unless there's an offer sheet he's going to come at a reasonable price. He's exactly the type of player the Sabres need: big AND skilled, not one or the other.

The guy is a beast to get off the puck when he wants to be and buries his chances. I understand there are questions about his motivation but with the exception of last year his production has improved every year he's been in the league and he is still very young. If you trade him what are the odds of 2nd Round pick ever being better than him? And how many years will that take?

Even if they signed him to a fairly lengthy deal it's pretty low risk as his size and skill level will always make him tradeable, either as a reclamation project or as a complimentary player on a contender.

A story that we have seen far too often.

A story that we have seen far too often.

Actually, in Drew's case, not often enough. That's the problem. He doesn't "want to."

Chz, I'm just not seeing what you're seeing, I guess. I see a guy who floats near the blue line and ignores the puck if he has to reach for it when it's passed to him.

Actually, in Drew's case, not often enough. That's the problem. He doesn't "want to."

Chz, I'm just not seeing what you're seeing, I guess. I see a guy who floats near the blue line and ignores the puck if he has to reach for it when it's passed to him.

I think Stafford is a guy that would strive in a different situation and under a different head coach. He has been coddled here in Buffalo when, considering his lack of work ethic, he probably needs to be dealt with a heavier hand.

The fact that he's a RFA makes this a very easy decision. Based on his career numbers, he's not going to be worth much more than his current salary unless he has some kind of miracle season. Barring that, in all likelihood he will be back in Buffalo for a small raise in pay next year. Which is fine, because he's a quality player to have on the roster. That said, if he does have a miracle season and some Kevin Lowe type wants to make an offer involving multiple high draft picks, Darcy had better take the deal this time! Those four 1st rounders for Vanek still haunt my dreams.

The fact that he's a RFA makes this a very easy decision. Based on his career numbers, he's not going to be worth much more than his current salary unless he has some kind of miracle season. Barring that, in all likelihood he will be back in Buffalo for a small raise in pay next year. Which is fine, because he's a quality player to have on the roster. That said, if he does have a miracle season and some Kevin Lowe type wants to make an offer involving multiple high draft picks, Darcy had better take the deal this time! Those four 1st rounders for Vanek still haunt my dreams.

If he is traded, does he still remain a RFA? If so, even more reason to trade him because, again, his value is higher because he is able to be retained easily instead of trying to trade somebody like Campbell when he can walk at the end of the season and you end up getting somebody like Steve Bernier.

If he demands $15 million for 5 years, do you do it?

NFW.

Boy, I dunnoooooooo. The owner has ever right to watch how he spends his money. He has every right to make a profit. That's a lotttttt of money in a small market like Buffalo.

Obtuse.

Do you really not understand that there is a salary cap? Or would you really rather have 5 guys like Tallinder, Stafford and Montador instead of 2 guys like Richards and Parise?

We know which one is the real Drew Stafford just like we knew which was was the real Henrik Tallinder. Beware success in contract years.

Hard to argue with this.

My biggest issue is that, in years past, most of us haven't questioned whether Stafford has the talent, but rather whether he has the heart. I've often classified him as having Kovalevitus (lots of talent, but only shows it when he feels like it.) So, there is the real potential for this to be a contract year performance. I definitely wouldn't be handing him a big or long contract. For the right price, I'd take a chance short-term, but that's it. I'd be OK with his slot being part of the rebuilding process, too.

Good post.

Trade him while he's hot!

Yes, this is the thing to do.... To think that Drew has "turned the corner" is pure Darcy-itis. Trade him some Western Conference team so you only see him once or twice a year and get some draft choices or a utility infielder for him. :thumbsup:

Do you really not understand that there is a salary cap? Or would you really rather have 5 guys like Tallinder, Stafford and Montador instead of 2 guys like Richards and Parise?

Careful -- allegedly TP was perplexed as to why the Sabres didn't re-sign Tallinder.

I hope these discussions become a thing of the past very soon.

I was a Stafford fan at first but then the guy started to play like a lot of other problem players on this team. Floating around. Not using the body. Yet everyone kept touting his potential. But potential ain't ###### if you can't consistently live up to it.

The Sabres need consistency and that word just does not fit with drew stafford.

Let him go.

Careful -- allegedly TP was perplexed as to why the Sabres didn't re-sign Tallinder.

I hope these discussions become a thing of the past very soon.

So now you believe what Bucky has to say about TP?

And these discussions can't become a thing of the past unless and until the salary cap disappears from the NHL landscape -- which isn't going to happen (and would be terrible for the Sabres and the NHL if it did).

So now you believe what Bucky has to say about TP?

And these discussions can't become a thing of the past unless and until the salary cap disappears from the NHL landscape -- which isn't going to happen (and would be terrible for the Sabres and the NHL if it did).

You got me on the first point. I did add an "allegedly" though.

Can we at least agree that we should never have to talk about an internal cap again?

Yes, this is the thing to do.... To think that Drew has "turned the corner" is pure Darcy-itis. Trade him some Western Conference team so you only see him once or twice a year and get some draft choices or a utility infielder for him. :thumbsup:

Is his uncle, or some relative, still an equipment guy, or some position, with, I think it was, Edmonton?

You got me on the first point. I did add an "allegedly" though.

Can we at least agree that we should never have to talk about an internal cap again?

Hopefully, but I'm reserving my optimism until it is announced.

The Tallinder situation I took as TP was confused why Darcy offered a contract that wasn't far off from what Tallinder wanted and a small difference (whether it be years or $$) in the bid/ask ultimately led to him being a free agent. I'm sure it was put in the TP puff piece Bucky had awhile ago to show he wouldn't be cheap like the current regime.

Isn't this a bit of a contradiction though. If you're trading him away to a place where you don't have to play him anymore, that implies that you see him as a threat?

Anyway, if trade is the way they want to go, I fall back on the same attitude I always have. Forget that idea about him scoring goals against you. Send him to whoever offers the best package.

Is his uncle, or some relative, still an equipment guy, or some position, with, I think it was, Edmonton?

Yup.

Actually, he's not with the team anymore, at least not as the head equipment guy.

Archived