World Jrs a loss for BUF

weehawk

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/stay_tuned/2010/12/buffalo-visitors-are-disappointed.html

It's not surprising that first-time visitors are trashing the town. The Sabres and the City did very little to make sure folks had stuff to do in the City during this week. Since these types of tourneys only come around once every five to ten yrs, it seems like another great opportunity has been lost. The same type of complaints were made during the NCAAs. I'm surprised BUF even got this tourney.

Please dont go on about how there is so much to do in the "region." That's lost on first-time visitors who want to stay close to their hotel and the arena and yet expect to have something to do. There's simply no excuse for the Sabres and the City not doing more to make sure people had fun in the City. BUF is a ghost town and after the next NCAA BBall tourney, I doubt you'll see anymore major sporting events like this. We'll have to settle for pond hockey on the lake and midget tourney's at the Pepsi Center.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/stay_tuned/2010/12/buffalo-visitors-are-disappointed.html

It's not surprising that first-time visitors are trashing the town. The Sabres and the City did very little to make sure folks had stuff to do in the City during this week. Since these types of tourneys only come around once every five to ten yrs, it seems like another great opportunity has been lost. The same type of complaints were made during the NCAAs. I'm surprised BUF even got this tourney.

Please dont go on about how there is so much to do in the "region." That's lost on first-time visitors who want to stay close to their hotel and the arena and yet expect to have something to do. There's simply no excuse for the Sabres and the City not doing more to make sure people had fun in the City. BUF is a ghost town and after the next NCAA BBall tourney, I doubt you'll see anymore major sporting events like this. We'll have to settle for pond hockey on the lake and midget tourney's at the Pepsi Center.

There is a huge family-oriented hockey festival going on at the convention center as I type this. As for the nighttime activities, there just isn't a lot for teenagers downtown (see the Team USA thread). The city can't knock down 20 crappy bars and put up teen-friendly entertainment just because there's a hockey tournament in town. Our hotels are not located within walking distance of the stuff that's fun for teens, with the exception of the Millenium near the Galleria.

So just because there aren't a hundred things to do within walking distance of a downtown hotel, the city/region suck and there was no preparedness?

Most people coming into town will have a car and are within a 30 minute drive to dozens of things to do.

As far as the Century Grill goes, it is not exactly close proximity to the Arena. If business is so bad and you don't want to make any money, close your doors for the rest of the tournament and then you won't have to bitch about it anymore.

Unfortunately, for out-of-towners looking for easily accessible things to do downtown, there aren't that many. Also unfortunately, the lack of fan-friendly places to go and things to do can't all be blamed on the city. Building HSBC Arena was supposed to stimulate other business to locate nearby (the same with Pilot Field/NorthAmericare/Dunn Tire/Coca Cola Field). There are a few lone wolves (Cobblestone), but the anticipated boom of nightspots never materialized.

As far as other things (like Winter Festivals, etc). those things COULD have and SHOULD have been coordinated to run during the hockey tourney. Another example of the 7 Ps (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance). I wish I could say otherwise, but as we all know all too well, Buffalo always seems to be a day late and a dollar short. Perhaps the comments proffered by our foreign visitors can be used as constructive criticism to move the waterfront project along (Well, there's always hope...... :rolleyes:)

So just because there aren't a hundred things to do within walking distance of a downtown hotel, the city/region suck and there was no preparedness?

Most people coming into town will have a car and are within a 30 minute drive to dozens of things to do.

As far as the Century Grill goes, it is not exactly close proximity to the Arena. If business is so bad and you don't want to make any money, close your doors for the rest of the tournament and then you won't have to bitch about it anymore.

Not sure if you're responding to my post, but I am NOT of the mind that there was no preparedness. Just pointing out that this isn't Orlando.

Century Grill was upset because it opened for Christmas and expected people to eat there. I'm just guessing, here, but I'll bet that most of the people that were here for the tournament on Christmas itself were the teams, and they probably ate communal Christmas meals at their hotels.

Unfortunately, for out-of-towners looking for easily accessible things to do downtown, there aren't that many. Also unfortunately, the lack of fan-friendly places to go and things to do can't all be blamed on the city. Building HSBC Arena was supposed to stimulate other business to locate nearby (the same with Pilot Field/NorthAmericare/Dunn Tire/Coca Cola Field). There are a few lone wolves (Cobblestone), but the anticipated boom of nightspots never materialized.

As far as other things (like Winter Festivals, etc). those things COULD have and SHOULD have been coordinated to run during the hockey tourney. Another example of the 7 Ps (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance). I wish I could say otherwise, but as we all know all too well, Buffalo always seems to be a day late and a dollar short. Perhaps the comments proffered by our foreign visitors can be used as constructive criticism to move the waterfront project along (Well, there's always hope...... :rolleyes:)

There are a TON of nightspots near the Arena. Chippewa is blocks away (and there's a free train), and there are about four places besides Cobblestone that are all located in that mini-strip. City Grill and Pearl Street are right near HSBC, too. The anticipated boom did materialize, but it's not geared towards families. (And I'm not sure that building HSBC was supposed to stimulate growth, considering that it replaced a building that was a block away.)

There is a hockey festival. It's even indoors. It is at the convention center. There is a bubble hockey tournament there, as well. Friday, there is a New Year's Eve celebration. There is an outdoor skating rink open every day downtown (although I understand that the players themselves are doing enough skating as it is). There also is a military museum steps from the Arena (although I concede that I do not know if it is open during winter). How much more is the city supposed to put on? Why should we reschedule Powderkeg for now? We'll want that fun later. We have THIS now. Frankly, there are a ton of opportunities for these visitors to do things. You should see the table that the visitors' bureau has put in the Embassy Suites--and that's staffed by two people, all day long.

But, seeing the positive in your post, I do hope that this moves the waterfront development along.

How does "it's not as good as it could be" turn into "a loss for Buffalo"? Give me a break. Whatever happens during the tourney in Buffalo is better than what would have happened in Buffalo without it.

Amen.

I don't know about everyone else but if I was in Buffalo for the world junior tournament I'd be there to watch hockey. Who cares about nightclubs? And why the fukc should these players be worried about the nightlife? They should be focused on one thing. That kid that trashed the city is an idiot and he's a teenager so take what he says with the same amount of seriousness as you would what any teenager says. Like...whatever.

How many of the Canadian fans are commuting to this tourney? The bridges from Canada were jammed. IMO staging more events wouldn't have done a thing to improve the experience. Most of the fans I talked to at the Canada-Czech game were commuting anyways and had no intention of taking in any of the other things to do. They came a few hours early, hit the party tent next to the arena, watched the game, got a bite to eat, and went back over the border. They didn't want to take in any of Buffalo's other experiences. They wanted to watch hockey and go back over the border.

IMO a small percentage of fans supporting Canada will take advantage of other things to do. Yeah, the European fans will likely look for other things to occupy their time becuae they are more likely to be staying here longer term but it seems to me that they are a small percentage of the total ticket holders for this tourney.

I don't know about everyone else but if I was in Buffalo for the world junior tournament I'd be there to watch hockey. Who cares about nightclubs? And why the fukc should these players be worried about the nightlife? They should be focused on one thing. That kid that trashed the city is an idiot and he's a teenager so take what he says with the same amount of seriousness as you would what any teenager says. Like...whatever.

Again, Amen.

This has been bothering me for a while. What don't we have that other cities do have? Is it something we haven't discovered yet? What do they do in other cities that they can't possibly do in Buffalo?

Buffalo has a deficit of crappy chain restaurants. No Domino's or Papa John's, and there is one Pizza Hut, on the northern edge of the city. We have great local fare, but I think there's a TGIF in downtown, and that's it. Clearly, this is a fault of our fair city. (No. Actually, the "great local fare" is the answer.) Oh, and we're missing the mini-golf that is in the city center of every other North American city. Shame on us.

Again, Amen.

Buffalo has a deficit of crappy chain restaurants. No Domino's or Papa John's, and there is one Pizza Hut, on the northern edge of the city. We have great local fare, but I think there's a TGIF in downtown, and that's it. Clearly, this is a fault of our fair city. (No. Actually, the "great local fare" is the answer.) Oh, and we're missing the mini-golf that is in the city center of every other North American city. Shame on us.

I live just north of Orlando, and I'd stab a puppy in the face for some of Buffalo's "great local fare".

Perhaps the visitors should have done some homework on local areas of interest, including the fabulous local food, before taking a trip... I hate lazy.

I wonder if the main problem is Buffalo's literal image. Not the perception or amount of activities happening, but literally how it looks. I don't think I'm reaching when I say Buffalo is an ugly looking place, year round. When you come in to the city you see abandoned buildings and run down neighborhoods. Downtown isn't really horrible but there are large parts of the day the place is a ghost town. I know it's cold now, but so are lots of cities, and those places still have people bustling about most hours of the day.

I live in Rochester, which you would think is no different and probably worse than Buffalo, but to be honest it really is a lot nicer here in terms of looks... not in terms of the people, the food, things to do, or anything that matters to us who actually live here... but looking at it objectively, it's hard to feel good about a place that looks like a dump when you weren't born and raised there.

I don't know what the city has actually done for this event, so I really can't comment on that, but it is the city's fault for leaving abandoned economic and industrial NEIGHBORHOODS standing, dropping the ball with economic development for decades, and allowing for the negative perceptions to happen. If they aren't responsible, then who is?

One thing I definitely think the event organizers and hotel staffs should have done is make sure EVERYONE staying in town for the event is given some sort of guide and directions to the Chip strip, Allen St, and Elmwood at a BARE MINIMUM. You want to do this? Go here. You want to get pass out drunk, go to the Chip strip. You're a 17 year old nerd from California and are bored? Go to the mall brah.

I really hope someone made an effort for a list of things to do was made, and if it wasn't, they're idiots.

One thing I definitely think the event organizers and hotel staffs should have done is make sure EVERYONE staying in town for the event is given some sort of guide and directions to the Chip strip, Allen St, and Elmwood at a BARE MINIMUM. You want to do this? Go here. You want to get pass out drunk, go to the Chip strip. You're a 17 year old nerd from California and are bored? Go to the mall brah.

I really hope someone made an effort for a list of things to do was made, and if it wasn't, they're idiots.

As above, there are staffed tables in the hotels with all sorts of information.

Obviously a small sample, but i was in Buffalo yesterday and the three games at HSBC Arena, my crew went to Pearl Street before the Finn game and before the Canada game, and went to the party tent outside HSBC Arena. We spoke to many fans, some from Finland, few from Slovakia, and many from Canada, and all of them had nice things to say about Buffalo. Essp. the Finns. Maybe they were just drunk because this was after their 4-0 win... or maybe they were serious? They said, any city in the world is only as good as you make it, but, despite the frigid cold, everyone has been super nice to them, accepting them, and its awesome to see a city open it's arms up for this tournament and visitors. The Slovaks were real cool too but said they didn't do much but enjoying the city thus far and are glad they came. The Canadians, some from Toronto and few dudes from hour north of Toronto, said they've always wanted to go to the WJC but never have until now. They said, when they heard Buffalo was hosting, they said they are going for sure because knowing Buffalo itd be one massive party, and they said, thus far, they are not disappointed. These guys were trashed and said it's exactly what they expected. It's a hockey festival and Buffalo knows how to throw a good party.

The bars were kind slow during the days. I went to pearl street after USA game and around mid-night it got packed. The entire day it was pretty dead but i saw people tailgating, the tent near HSBC Arena was packed, fans gathered at front lobby to cheer chants before entering and the convention center was packed i heard.

I personally love Buffalo, and from talking to people yesterday, Buffalo shouldn't be ashamed of what they have done.

On a side note, the big diss about these games is low crowds. They've already sold more tickets then last years games in Canada, way more then Sweden (2007) or Czech (2008), wayyyyyy more then North Dakota in 2005 and are expected to surpass Vancouver games of 2006. Last i heard, these games had like 315k tickets sold, the Vancouver games had 325K.

Obviously a small sample, but i was in Buffalo yesterday and the three games at HSBC Arena, my crew went to Pearl Street before the Finn game and before the Canada game, and went to the party tent outside HSBC Arena. We spoke to many fans, some from Finland, few from Slovakia, and many from Canada, and all of them had nice things to say about Buffalo. Essp. the Finns. Maybe they were just drunk because this was after their 4-0 win... or maybe they were serious? They said, any city in the world is only as good as you make it, but, despite the frigid cold, everyone has been super nice to them, accepting them, and its awesome to see a city open it's arms up for this tournament and visitors. The Slovaks were real cool too but said they didn't do much but enjoying the city thus far and are glad they came. The Canadians, some from Toronto and few dudes from hour north of Toronto, said they've always wanted to go to the WJC but never have until now. They said, when they heard Buffalo was hosting, they said they are going for sure because knowing Buffalo itd be one massive party, and they said, thus far, they are not disappointed. These guys were trashed and said it's exactly what they expected. It's a hockey festival and Buffalo knows how to throw a good party.

The bars were kind slow during the days. I went to pearl street after USA game and around mid-night it got packed. The entire day it was pretty dead but i saw people tailgating, the tent near HSBC Arena was packed, fans gathered at front lobby to cheer chants before entering and the convention center was packed i heard.

I personally love Buffalo, and from talking to people yesterday, Buffalo shouldn't be ashamed of what they have done.

On a side note, the big diss about these games is low crowds. They've already sold more tickets then last years games in Canada, way more then Sweden (2007) or Czech (2008), wayyyyyy more then North Dakota in 2005 and are expected to surpass Vancouver games of 2006. Last i heard, these games had like 315k tickets sold, the Vancouver games had 325K.

Cool, thanks for sharing! Wish I had the guts to drop a few dollars and see some games while they're here :(

Cool, thanks for sharing! Wish I had the guts to drop a few dollars and see some games while they're here :(

If you're willing to see a game that doesn't involve the US or Canada, you can see it for very few dollars. Today's News reported that tickets for some such games are available for $3 on Stubhub or $10 on the streets.

If it's a game at HSBC, I highly recommend the metro. They are gouging people at the parking lots.

If you're willing to see a game that doesn't involve the US or Canada, you can see it for very few dollars. Today's News reported that tickets for some such games are available for $3 on Stubhub or $10 on the streets.

If it's a game at HSBC, I highly recommend the metro. They are gouging people at the parking lots.

Two of my friends whom i went with yesterday also went Sunday for Canada and USA and parked for like $5 per game. When we went yesterday, in the same lot as they had parked, it was now $12 per game.... we paid $36 just to park the car!!! lol

Two of my friends whom i went with yesterday also went Sunday for Canada and USA and parked for like $5 per game. When we went yesterday, in the same lot as they had parked, it was now $12 per game.... we paid $36 just to park the car!!! lol

My guess is different rates for the weekend as opposed to during a weekday when people who work downtown take up a lot of those spots and they can charge more.

My guess is different rates for the weekend as opposed to during a weekday when people who work downtown take up a lot of those spots and they can charge more.

Nope. They're literally changing the prices at will. There was a whole article in the paper on parking lot gouging today. They're even charging people extra that are already IN the lots.

Basically, yes. You can find things to do in the region but everything is spread out and not easy to get to if you're not familiar with the area (and maybe don't have a car). The area right around the arena is embarrassing; there are literally empty, burned-out buildings just a few blocks away. And if you want something to eat, there are a couple bars in the cobblestone district and one hot dog cart in front of the arena. It's a bad downtown.

Cities like Seattle, New York, and Chicago have phenomenal tourist districts with a million things going on and everything easily accessible by walking. Even Cleveland has a pretty good area like that near their downtown stadiums. Buffalo has a world class arena flanked by a skyway, a weird naval park, an empty building where they used to store trains, a couple cobblestone district bars, and parking lots. Horrible.

Basically, yes. You can find things to do in the region but everything is spread out and not easy to get to if you're not familiar with the area (and maybe don't have a car). The area right around the arena is embarrassing; there are literally empty, burned-out buildings just a few blocks away. And if you want something to eat, there are a couple bars in the cobblestone district and one hot dog cart in front of the arena. It's a bad downtown.

Cities like Seattle, New York, and Chicago have phenomenal tourist districts with a million things going on and everything easily accessible by walking. Even Cleveland has a pretty good area like that near their downtown stadiums. Buffalo has a world class arena flanked by a skyway, a weird naval park, an empty building where they used to store trains, a couple cobblestone district bars, and parking lots. Horrible.

I'm not even going to try to say that we have as much around the Arena as there is around Madison Square Garden, but the Cobblestone District has at least four restaurants/bars, and the following are all within walking distance of the Arena, and by that, I mean a reasonable walk, not a hike to Chippewa: City Grill, Pearl Street Grill & Brewery, Irish Times, Washington Square Pub, and Pettibones. There is also SoundLab, when it's open, and during the daytime (some of these are day games), there is a Subway and several sandwich shops, again, all within the same little area.

EDIT: In other words, while it isn't New York or Chicago (and I haven't been to Seattle, but I understand that its arena, wherever it is, is lacking a major tenant), it's not far off of, say, the two stadiums in Baltimore. Last time I was at a Nationals game, there wasn't much around that stadium, either, but I realize that may have changed by now. The skyway hurts, but it isn't quite as bleak a picture as the one you painted!

Downtown Detroit was great during the Frozen Four. For as much of a dump it is outside the city, the area around Comerica Park and Ford Field is excellent. Lots of businesses, restaurants, bars, and all within walking distance. If Detroit can do it why can't we?

Boy, it sure would've helped if Canal Side was up and running and we had that new Peace Bridge. No more 3 hour waits to come from Canada and fans could stumble out of the arena into Canal Side. Maybe for the next big event Buffalo hosts we could try putting the cart AFTER the horse... :blink:

Archived