World Jrs a loss for BUF

weehawk

The city center? LOL! You make it sounds like it's SF or Houston. There is no city center. It's a complete dead zone between the arena and Chippewa. Then it's a dead zone again from Chippewa to UB.

Please list the activities to do in downtown BUF (not the region). If you're referring to Allentown or Chippewa, it's you that does not get out of BUF very often. If you think that only 21+ people hang out in the City, you're not paying attention. The area is flooded with inner-city kids and high schoolers from the suburbs. Chippewa has turned into a dump with crime and under-aged drunks running rampant. Even the guy from Moose Jaw knows that our downtown is a dump. I dont care what size city or town you come from. When you hit downtown BUF, you know you're seeing urban blight at it's utmost. Have pride in your city, but dont bury you head.

Other than an occasional decent show at the Tralf or Shea's, there is absolutely NOTHING to see and do downtown.

A dead zone between Chip and UB? That whole distance? Not even worth responding to. You have no idea what you're writing about.

(And I have lived in three cities other than Buffalo.)

If it's a game at HSBC, I highly recommend the metro. They are gouging people at the parking lots.

Agreed. When I went tonight, we parked for free near Chippewa, got dinner, then grabbed the metro for free, four stops to HSBC. Definitely the way to go!

My parents just moved downtown from Clarence. Stayed at their place last week and walked to the train for the games. The atmosphere there was fantastic. Rotary Rink was packed every time I went to fountain plaza (day and night). The parking spots on the roads were filled all the time, and the place was bustling. This tournament is great for Buffalo. Some 18 year old punk from friggin Long Beach and his crappy opinions won't make the city a terrible place.

Just a few other points I thought to add to this conversation:

To the original post - what exactly was Buffalo supposed to do? Outside of ongoing development, I don't think you could done much more in the middle of winter for a tourney that is in town for 2 weeks. I for one, am glad Bass Pro is gone, but future projects need to come downtown (like a D&B for example) rather than going in a Mall out by the Airport...that attracts people.

It is the middle of winter, and many people are off from work, so naturally, things are going to be more quiet downtown

Until we stop the urban sprawl, and more people have confidence in going downtown, this is always going to be a problem.

I also think the planners of this event overestimated the population coming to Buffalo. I don't blame them-it was tough to estimate. It seems like most people are Canadians in town for the day, then heading back home.

Lastly, I think there a lot of this is overblown due to the regions inferiority complex...

I also think the planners of this event overestimated the population coming to Buffalo. I don't blame them-it was tough to estimate. It seems like most people are Canadians in town for the day, then heading back home.

Lastly, I think there a lot of this is overblown due to the regions inferiority complex...

I also think that most of the visitors are day visitors. I know that the Canadian folks sitting around me at the Canada-CR game were commuters. And their stories of 2 hour waits at the bridges before the games tells me that most of the other Canadian visitors were doing the same.

And yeah, there is some serious Buffalo inferiority on display here. Buffalo ain't a top destination but it isn't nearly as bad as some are portraying it here.

This has been bothering me for a while. What don't we have that other cities do have? Is it something we haven't discovered yet? What do they do in other cities that they can't possibly do in Buffalo?

I've always wondered this. I remember being in Boston for a Bills-Pats game during the Super Bowl years and somebody told me that the reason Buffalo is so into the Bills is because there is nothing else to do. I said What can you do in Boston that I can't do in Buffalo? I'm still waiting for the answer..........In fact, that is the most over-rated party city in the country. The bars close ridiculously early. One closed at 11 and we were really ripping it up at the time. Another closed at like 9PM because there was a fight. I was like wtf - that's when the party is on where I come from!

I've always wondered this. I remember being in Boston for a Bills-Pats game during the Super Bowl years and somebody told me that the reason Buffalo is so into the Bills is because there is nothing else to do. I said What can you do in Boston that I can't do in Buffalo? I'm still waiting for the answer..........In fact, that is the most over-rated party city in the country. The bars close ridiculously early. One closed at 11 and we were really ripping it up at the time. Another closed at like 9PM because there was a fight. I was like wtf - that's when the party is on where I come from!

More of the same. Every place I've been simply has more of the same things that Buffalo has. Buffalo isn't "lacking" anything. They just don't have "as much" of the various venues. Given that Buffalo is alot smaller population-wise, that should be expected.

I also think that most of the visitors are day visitors. I know that the Canadian folks sitting around me at the Canada-CR game were commuters. And their stories of 2 hour waits at the bridges before the games tells me that most of the other Canadian visitors were doing the same.

And yeah, there is some serious Buffalo inferiority on display here. Buffalo ain't a top destination but it isn't nearly as bad as some are portraying it here.

Plus a lot of those commuting Canadians seem to be families; so of course they're not heading to Chippawa.

More of the same. Every place I've been simply has more of the same things that Buffalo has. Buffalo isn't "lacking" anything. They just don't have "as much" of the various venues. Given that Buffalo is alot smaller population-wise, that should be expected.

Thank you - that's what I thought!

This has been bothering me for a while. What don't we have that other cities do have? Is it something we haven't discovered yet? What do they do in other cities that they can't possibly do in Buffalo?

In a lot of American cities, it's really easy to go sailing/boating in the summer and skiing/snowboarding in the winter. Can't do that here.

Oh, wait...

Get killed by an earthquake? Get spun around by a tornado? Maybe drowned by a hurricane?

Get killed by an earthquake? Get spun around by a tornado? Maybe drowned by a hurricane?

Having been a part of the third one (although it was only a tropical storm by then), give me a blizzard any day. At least the beer stays cold.

Having been a part of the third one (although it was only a tropical storm by then), give me a blizzard any day. At least the beer stays cold.

When I moved back north from Florida to Ohio I told people the same thing and they looked at me like I was crazy. They all said "I'd rather deal with an occasional hurricane than shovel snow 7 months out of the year."

This was about 18 months after the Hurricane Summer of 2004, when we got hit three times in about 9-10 weeks.

Do you really think all of the players and fans are from Vancouver, Montreal, Helsinki, Prague, and Moscow? I'll bet most are from small towns. And downtown Buffalo does have quality entertainment, as much as any city of its size, really, but it's not geared towards kids, as about nine people have observed on this board so far.

No, I never have seen so much wasted waterfront, I'll give you that.

We came in from Indy to attend the tournement and had a great time. Yes we had to drive a bit but at least its not T.O. or Chicago driving. People were great, wings were fabulous, the hockey was fun and the driving easy! My kids were dissapointed that "Great Skate " was closed for inventory but you can't win them all.

Thanks

We came in from Indy to attend the tournement and had a great time. Yes we had to drive a bit but at least its not T.O. or Chicago driving. People were great, wings were fabulous, the hockey was fun and the driving easy! My kids were dissapointed that "Great Skate " was closed for inventory but you can't win them all.

Thanks

Awesome. :thumbsup:

Thanks

thank you for visiting; glad to hear that you enjoyed the stay

Archived