What brand of Supercomputer are you all using...

SDS

to keep track of Lindy's line changes?

Some of you rip line-ups off the top of your head and I just can't fathom anyone putting in the mental energy to memorize that shift after shift.

I usually have no idea who is on the ice. His line combos usually aren't working. It's hard to make chicken salad out of chickensh*t.

Lindy sucks.

(Sorry -- just wanted to make my 10,000th post something different and memorable. And, no, I'm not bragging about the number. Frankly, it's horrifying.)

SDS, it's pretty easy to follow the lines if you read the play by play account of the game on NHL.com.

Lindy certainly shakes up his lines a lot from game to game -- usually when the team is slumping in the goal department. He does it too a lot of times to start the third when they're behind. You wonder if making some changes before it becomes a crisis would be more effective.

But I don't think he does it willy-nilly from shift to shift as you might be implying. You might be noticing situations where a forward gets caught on the ice during a change and you have an odd looking line for 10 or 15 seconds. Also, after a power play you tend to see a shift or two where there are different combinations.

Lindy sucks.

(Sorry -- just wanted to make my 10,000th post something different and memorable. And, no, I'm not bragging about the number. Frankly, it's horrifying.)

SDS, it's pretty easy to follow the lines if you read the play by play account of the game on NHL.com.

Lindy certainly shakes up his lines a lot from game to game -- usually when the team is slumping in the goal department. He does it too a lot of times to start the third when they're behind. You wonder if making some changes before it becomes a crisis would be more effective.

But I don't think he does it willy-nilly from shift to shift as you might be implying. You might be noticing situations where a forward gets caught on the ice during a change and you have an odd looking line for 10 or 15 seconds. Also, after a power play you tend to see a shift or two where there are different combinations.

Wow 10k, congrats but more so condolances because you have been at this so long w/o a SC to talk about.

I generally agree with your observation about the forward getting caught on the ice or carry over from a PP or PK but we sure do it(scramble the line combinations) a heck of a lot more than any of the other teams I watch the sabres play or other teams I watch on center ice. We also seem to have a lot of breakdowns on the line changes and getting caught out of position or sorts.

I can't help but wonder if it's by design vs. default? Say some crazy variation of the system or something he is coaching because of that. Always keep one or two players pressing on the dump in because the other teams tend to change when you do and maybe you could get an edge or so your team is able to get into position and be ready but then we look a tired player behind and out of sorts on the ensuing action. If it by design then I would say step trying to be so damn innovative and get back to basics.

Maybe its because there just isn't enough talent at all 3 forward positions to create 4 lines that make sense and work, so they get juggled up with the hope that some magic "thing" happens.

There isn't enough talent at forward on this roster. I truly think the juggling of lines is an attempt to find combos that perform better than the sum of its parts.

to keep track of Lindy's line changes?

Some of you rip line-ups off the top of your head and I just can't fathom anyone putting in the mental energy to memorize that shift after shift.

I really don't have much trouble reading the lines.

Typically Lindy has two guys that stay the same on each line and if he juggles people it is a third.

He actually didn't juggle much last night.

Off the top of my head:

Vanek-Roy-Gerbe

Adam-Mancari-Pommer

Kateta-Ennis-Hetch

McCormick-Gaustad-Grier

Sometimes guys get caught on the ice on a shift. But I didn't notice much juggling last night.

I really don't have much trouble reading the lines.

Typically Lindy has two guys that stay the same on each line and if he juggles people it is a third.

He actually didn't juggle much last night.

Off the top of my head:

Vanek-Roy-Gerbe

Adam-Mancari-Pommer

Kateta-Ennis-Hetch

McCormick-Gaustad-Grier

Sometimes guys get caught on the ice on a shift. But I didn't notice much juggling last night.

I think Mancari started with RV last night, but went to Adam's line.

It's an awareness of players/numbers I guess. Sometimes a curse when u watch with others that don't keep up or constantly getting mad at the announcers calling guys the wrong name.

Archived