GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Lol, okay let's not get too carried away here. Kovalchuk is still a Top 10 (maybe Top 5) player in the game. You know you would have welcomed him with open arms had we signed him, so don't act all "HAHA YOU WERE WRONG, I WAS RIGHT" about him just yet.

Not any more than any other Sabre. I mean, I welcomed Torres with open arms, too.

Lol, okay let's not get too carried away here. Kovalchuk is still a Top 10 (maybe Top 5) player in the game. You know you would have welcomed him with open arms had we signed him, so don't act all "HAHA YOU WERE WRONG, I WAS RIGHT" about him just yet.

I think you can qualify it this way: he's got the best wrist shot in the league and a terrific knack for getting open to take it and unload it from anywhere.

He's pretty average at everything else.

I think you can qualify it this way: he's got the best wrist shot in the league and a terrific knack for getting open to take it and unload it from anywhere.

He's pretty average at everything else.

At best. Did you see his breakaway (all right, Sekera was near him, but not in front of him) late? Reason why, as RJ pointed out: Kovy was playing no defense at all, even with the game on the line. And then, of course, he let that Zhitnik shot go. Yeah, I really wish the Sabres had landed him for ten years.

• Like (+1) 1

At best. Did you see his breakaway (all right, Sekera was near him, but not in front of him) late? Reason why, as RJ pointed out: Kovy was playing no defense at all, even with the game on the line. And then, of course, he let that Zhitnik shot go. Yeah, I really wish the Sabres had landed him for ten years.

He came back to the defensive zone approximately once in that game, and actually made a nice play.(that once).

Uh...I hated the thought from the very onset of free agency. My hate for him is no secret. Let's put it this way. Roy has double the points and is 9 higher on the differential on the +/-. Jordan leopold has more goals, points the +/- isn't even comparable. Let it go dude.

Uh...I hated the thought from the very onset of free agency. My hate for him is no secret. Let's put it this way. Roy has double the points and is 9 higher on the differential on the +/-. Jordan leopold has more goals, points the +/- isn't even comparable. Let it go dude.

Yes this is it. I never wanted him. He can't play the system. :blink:

Overall good game to watch. I keep call ETHRON Efron all night. He is not very good and needs some more seasoning back on the farm. They'll mess this kid up unless the defense starts playing better and taking their men around the net.

Ennis is an enigma. An enigma wrapped in a riddle. With a soft flaky crust. TC may want start looking for a nice home near Portland.

NFW. Not even close. I can easily name 20 players I'd rather have on my team than Kovy. And if contracts are considered in the analysis, I can name 50.

Other observations from Newark:

1. Myers had his best game of the season. Welcome to the top pair, Reggie (who also had a pretty good game).

2. The first goal Enroth gave up was debatable, but I thought he was pretty much blameless on the others and that he made a number of good saves.

3. I thought Leopold had a pretty good game.

4. Vanek again passing into traffic instead of shooting when he had the puck coming in on a 2-on-1. If it weren't for Kovy, Vanek might be the biggest bust and worst contract in the NHL.

5. I think this is the last year for Grier and Niedermayer. Both played OK, but there are other guys out there who do what they do and add a bit more.

6. Kaleta was very quiet -- no big hits or even any attempts. His line with Gaustad and McCormick had some good moments on the forecheck though.

7. The arena was about half full, maybe 60%. My section was no more than half full.

8. I apologize to our distaff members, but it must be reported: the Devils' dancing girls are pretty skanky and not terribly hot.

9. Good win, and exciting, and I'm glad that they didn't wilt after falling behind -- but the Devils are a terrible team right now. Let's beat the Rangers tomorrow night and then we'll see if we have something to be a bit hopeful about.

NFW. Not even close. I can easily name 20 players I'd rather have on my team than Kovy. And if contracts are considered in the analysis, I can name 50.

Other observations from Newark:

1. Myers had his best game of the season. Welcome to the top pair, Reggie (who also had a pretty good game).

2. The first goal Enroth gave up was debatable, but I thought he was pretty much blameless on the others and that he made a number of good saves.

3. I thought Leopold had a pretty good game.

4. Vanek again passing into traffic instead of shooting when he had the puck coming in on a 2-on-1. If it weren't for Kovy, Vanek might be the biggest bust and worst contract in the NHL.

5. I think this is the last year for Grier and Niedermayer. Both played OK, but there are other guys out there who do what they do and add a bit more.

6. Kaleta was very quiet -- no big hits or even any attempts. His line with Gaustad and McCormick had some good moments on the forecheck though.

7. The arena was about half full, maybe 60%. My section was no more than half full.

8. I apologize to our distaff members, but it must be reported: the Devils' dancing girls are pretty skanky and not terribly hot.

9. Good win, and exciting, and I'm glad that they didn't wilt after falling behind -- but the Devils are a terrible team right now. Let's beat the Rangers tomorrow night and then we'll see if we have something to be a bit hopeful about.

Nice recap. I agree with most of it, especially the Kovy part. He is definitely NOT a top 10 player. He's a top 10 scorer. But thats all he is. He's quick and has quick hands. Does that make him a top 10 player? No. He doesn't back check, he doesn't battle by the boards, his passing is awful, his vision of the ice is terrible, he isn't clutch and when he doesn't score goals, he's worthless. That's why he's never almost never been in the playoffs and when he has, it's been a quick exit. And i don't even want to hear about the "bad" teams he's been on, because he's played with some solid players. For a top 10 talent to be with decent players, he should have more playoffs success.

Kovalchuk cherry picking? Never! I miss the old days in Atlanta when he, Hossa, and Savard would all cherry pick at the same time. I'm still confused everytime I see Savard skate past the red line out here in Boston.

I guess here's the problem re: Kovy vis a vis the Sabres, Brown vs. Board of Education etc. etc.

Some of you who represent the status quo among the fan base love to dig other teams for at least trying to do something -- including a GM who has several Cups in his figurative trophy case.

Which is fine. But you're not even willing to give Kovalchuk and the Devils a whole season together before passing judgment, while you've given Lindy and Darcy THIRTEEN YEARS!

Darcy and Lindy have sucked the life out of this fan base. I'm dehydrated and protein-deficient at this point. If I hear one more comment from these guys about how the league is these days (games are tight, the teams are close, you have to score ugly goals, you can't make a trade), and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it, I'm going to snap.

And if one more fan parrots this garbage...

I guess here's the problem re: Kovy vis a vis the Sabres, Brown vs. Board of Education etc. etc.

Some of you who represent the status quo among the fan base love to dig other teams for at least trying to do something -- including a GM who has several Cups in his figurative trophy case.

Which is fine. But you're not even willing to give Kovalchuk and the Devils a whole season together before passing judgment, while you've given Lindy and Darcy THIRTEEN YEARS!

I don't know about others, but I don't want the status quo, nor did I want Kovy. When it comes to these lifetime, high salary contracts, even more than regular contracts, you have to be extremely selective in who you give them to. The right one can be great for the franchise, but the wrong one can seriously hurt it for a very long time. These aren't the type of contracts that you give to the best player available in a given year, but rather to one who is one of the best players period. Crosby and Ovechkin definitely fit the bill, but beyond that, the justification drops off quite a bit. I didn't want the Sabres giving such a contract to another soft, one-way winger, who hasn't shown to be any kind of team leader. Some would argue that Vanek's contract is already really hurting the Sabres and it's only a fraction of the length of the one that the Devil's gave Kovy. I'd much rather see such a contract go to a Mike Richards (for example); a 30-goal center with leadership qualities, who plays with a physical edge and knows that the rink continue behind his own blue line.

Speaking of Kovy's game, who is coaching him to play that way? Is it accidental? Is he free-lancing? A few posters here seem to have been horrified that Kovalchuk got a breakaway last night while seemingly floating around behind the play. Who cares? If he scores, who cares? Did Mario Lemieux not do the same thing?

Kovalchuk has 341 career goals, and almost as many assists. He's not a selfish bum, and only those who have been co-opted into the Sabres' way of thinking has to put down a player in such a way.

Again, let's see how it plays out. Unfortunately, no one around here ever admits when they are wrong, myself included. We had folks on this board say if the Sabres didn't make a long run in the postseason last year (or at least win a series), they'd call for Lindy's firing. Well?

Speaking of Kovy's game, who is coaching him to play that way? Is it accidental? Is he free-lancing? A few posters here seem to have been horrified that Kovalchuk got a breakaway last night while seemingly floating around behind the play. Who cares? If he scores, who cares?

Unless you have the stats on how many goals have been scored while he is basically giving the other team a free powerplay, then it's hard to really say whether it's a good thing or not. I seem to remember that the Sabres had several great chances right before he got that breakaway. So, it may be a safe strategy against a team like the Sabres that has trouble finishing, especially with the man advantage, but not all teams have such problems. He could just have easily cost him team a regulation loss, which given the NHL scoring system, is actually worse than giving them an increased chance of a regulation win.

I don't know about others, but I don't want the status quo, nor did I want Kovy. When it comes to these lifetime, high salary contracts, even more than regular contracts, you have to be extremely selective in who you give them to. The right one can be great for the franchise, but the wrong one can seriously hurt it for a very long time. These aren't the type of contracts that you give to the best player available in a given year, but rather to one who is one of the best players period. Crosby and Ovechkin definitely fit the bill, but beyond that, the justification drops off quite a bit. I didn't want the Sabres giving such a contract to another soft, one-way winger, who hasn't shown to be any kind of team leader. Some would argue that Vanek's contract is already really hurting the Sabres and it's only a fraction of the length of the one that the Devil's gave Kovy. I'd much rather see such a contract go to a Mike Richards (for example); a 30-goal center with leadership qualities, who plays with a physical edge and knows that the rink continue behind his own blue line.

Excellent post, as always. The choice isn't between status quo and getting Kovy; it's between those 2 bad options and making good decisions on new personnel and their contracts.

Kovalchuk has 341 career goals, and almost as many assists. He's not a selfish bum, and only those who have been co-opted into the Sabres' way of thinking has to put down a player in such a way.

Hmmmm. TSN was reporting the days this summer as in

Kovalchuk Hostage Crisis Day 15 as he effectively held two franchises in a state of Paralysis, just 4 months after turning down more money from Atlanta, that once fired a pretty good coach (Hartley) to accommodate him. I think you could make a great case for him being the most selfish player in the league with non-Buffalo sources.

I hate his game. And I think he's poison. That's admittedly my bias. But it is in no way a bias exclusive to Sabre fans.

As far as the Sabres go, I would have preferred by 10x Marian Gaborik who was available almost 13 months ago and should play tonight in NY and is a much more complete player with very similar offensive numbers. ... and off the Devils, I wouldn't be sad if Buffalo traded an entire draft for Zack Parise.

Hmmmm. TSN was reporting the days this summer as in

Kovalchuk Hostage Crisis Day 15 as he effectively held two franchises in a state of Paralysis, just 4 months after turning down more money from Atlanta, that once fired a pretty good coach (Hartley) to accommodate him. I think you could make a great case for him being the most selfish player in the league with non-Buffalo sources.

I hate his game. And I think he's poison. That's admittedly my bias. But it is in no way a bias exclusive to Sabre fans.

As far as the Sabres go, I would have preferred by 10x Marian Gaborik who was available almost 13 months ago and should play tonight in NY and is a much more complete player with very similar offensive numbers. ... and off the Devils, I wouldn't be sad if Buffalo traded an entire draft for Zack Parise.

Admittedly, his game is to be a cherry picking sniper. What had me and has me scratching my head was why the Devils would want him. They haven't played that style in a decade, if ever. It's as bad a fit as I've ever seen. And then to dump that kind of coin makes me wonder if the NJ management team is smoking something. How could they get sucked into a salary so big that they can only field 17 players? Nothing about Kovy in NJ makes any sense. Heck the Kovy contract is so bad, it almost, notice I said almost, makes the Vanek contract look okay.

Admittedly, his game is to be a cherry picking sniper. What had me and has me scratching my head was why the Devils would want him. They haven't played that style in a decade, if ever. It's as bad a fit as I've ever seen. And then to dump that kind of coin makes me wonder if the NJ management team is smoking something. How could they get sucked into a salary so big that they can only field 17 players? Nothing about Kovy in NJ makes any sense. Heck the Kovy contract is so bad, it almost, notice I said almost, makes the Vanek contract look okay.

Watching this summer, I think Uncle Lou Lamarrello was relieved the league nixed it, and then disappointed when he went back to an ownership that asked him to make it work.

I really think they thought he would fill their new building on nights they weren't playing the Rangers.