Agony, ecstasy and the fine line in between

Two or less

Thought people may like this article to lift some spirits in bad times for our team. I just noticed he just posted this. It's not often the national media writes about the Sabres.

Just 13.1 seconds. Had they ticked down uneventfully, had the puck not bounced around and squeaked into the net, this story would have been totally different. The Buffalo Sabres still would have been written off for dead. The Toronto Maple Leafs would have been feeling good about themselves again.

But this is how thin the line can be in the NHL – not just between victory and defeat, but between desperation and relief, at least on one night in November. Jochen Hecht(notes) did put the puck past Jean-Sebastien Giguere’s(notes) left pad with 13.1 seconds left on Saturday night. The game did go to a scoreless overtime and a five-round shootout. Rookie Tyler Ennis(notes) did deke Giguere for the winner, giving the Sabres a 3-2 victory. The Sabres did rush onto the ice and mob each other in celebration.

Link- http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=nc-sabresleafs110610

While they have played some really poor hockey so far this year, I do have to say they have had some bad breaks. They've had 3 or 4 games where they outplayed the opponent and came away with nothing. Ottawa and Chicago come to mind. I think there were 3 GA in the first 5 games that went off defensemans skates. In a full season, those breaks even out IMO and they will get a few wins back. I think tonight might have been one of those games because Toronto looked really bad and it should have been a cake walk. They played better against Montreal and lost. I still think they need a lot of work, this in only one game. But I don't think their record is indicative of how they've played. They're not deserving of a .500 record, but certainly not the worst in the league.

While they have played some really poor hockey so far this year, I do have to say they have had some bad breaks. They've had 3 or 4 games where they outplayed the opponent and came away with nothing. Ottawa and Chicago come to mind. I think there were 3 GA in the first 5 games that went off defensemans skates. In a full season, those breaks even out IMO and they will get a few wins back. I think tonight might have been one of those games because Toronto looked really bad and it should have been a cake walk. They played better against Montreal and lost. I still think they need a lot of work, this in only one game. But I don't think their record is indicative of how they've played. They're not deserving of a .500 record, but certainly not the worst in the league.

Good post. I have seen at least parts of all the games on my Center Ice package sans the ones I couldn't finish watching because they were out right bad and there were really only a handful of those I recall. There have been a lot of bounces go against them but the most distrubing part has been has been the lack of players step up to overcome that adversity. Only a few players that stand out to me this year really giving it their all most nights and most shifts are Roy, McCormick and Montador. Where are the others on this team?

It is fine line between winning and losing in this league and looking at their one goal losses it's easy to see we have been close. For me it is not losses that bother me but what appears to be the acceptance of losing. I want to see an angry not happy with losing attitude and effort vs spurts of trying with a resigned to lose attitude.

Genuinely show me that attitude and effort game in and game out and I will not always be happy with the results but I will still be happy with cheering my team.

Darcy,is that you?

It is such a fine line that most of us here said that all Darcy had to do was make 1 (one, singular) move of significance in the off-season to make this team a true SC contender. I'll admit that I was late to that table (I thought that they needed at least 2 maybe 3 significant moves). He didn't do ######. One late comeback against Toronto is hardly ecstasy, although nice. If Darcy doesn't do something soon I see much more agony in our futures.

Darcy,is that you?

Haha, come on now. I'm not making any excuses, they have been downright poor most of the last 5 or 6 games. But the second-third week of the season, they could easily have had a 4 game win streak or maybe 5 of 6 yet only got 2 wins. A few loses in a row where you played poorly can hurt a team but you know where you need to improve. But a few losses in games where you outplayed the opponent is even worse to the psyche IMO which doesn't help a week minded team. They played well enough to beat Montreal, Chicago and Ottawa which actually would have given them a 5 game winning streak had they pulled them off. If they win even 2 of those games they might not playing as tight as they are. But a great team shrugs those types of losses off, an average team hangs their heads. Not trying to sugarcoat anything, just supporting the OP.

It is such a fine line that most of us here said that all Darcy had to do was make 1 (one, singular) move of significance in the off-season to make this team a true SC contender. I'll admit that I was late to that table (I thought that they needed at least 2 maybe 3 significant moves). He didn't do ######. One late comeback against Toronto is hardly ecstasy, although nice. If Darcy doesn't do something soon I see much more agony in our futures.

The one off season move I would have like to have seen was Horton. But that was secondary to Cullen. I honestly believe Cullen didn't come to Buffalo because of Regier. Its just my gut feeling, but man, Cullen would have been nice to have as a 3rd line Center.

After Cullen turned away from us, I wanted Lombardi as our 3rd line center. He is younger, but still, an upgrade over Nieds in my opinion.

Either way, I was looking for a 3rd line center. Horton was my thought for Vanek and Roy. He is thriving in Boston.

Sad actually, that Darcy failed to address the needed changes in the off season. And yet again, I believe its the reputation of this management that has turned many players away from Buffalo. :angry:

The one off season move I would have like to have seen was Horton. But that was secondary to Cullen. I honestly believe Cullen didn't come to Buffalo because of Regier. Its just my gut feeling, but man, Cullen would have been nice to have as a 3rd line Center.

After Cullen turned away from us, I wanted Lombardi as our 3rd line center. He is younger, but still, an upgrade over Nieds in my opinion.

Either way, I was looking for a 3rd line center. Horton was my thought for Vanek and Roy. He is thriving in Boston.

Sad actually, that Darcy failed to address the needed changes in the off season. And yet again, I believe its the reputation of this management that has turned many players away from Buffalo. :angry:

Cullen actually was one I wanted as well and would have been more than a 3rd line center for this team in my book, he could be 1st team on the PP like he is playing now.

I know since I have him on my fantasy hockey team and he has been a very solid pickup.

My first year fantasy GM pickups and trades have been more strategic than Darcy has done in 3 years so he is the real problem in my thinking here.

Every team gets bad breaks. Good teams make their own breaks. That said, if the power play did somehow reappear this team would win more.

I'm not a supporter of Torres with the way he came in and played last year but one only has to look at Vancouvers 3rd line scoring and how they've outscored Buffalos 1st line to see what actual hockey depth is. Vancouver has it going on with a Buffalo castoff leading the way with secondary scoring and Regier never gave it a thought that he could have had Torres for the year for what he's paying scotts brother. It'll be interesting to see how Buffalo handles that Canuck team later this week.

I'm not a supporter of Torres with the way he came in and played last year but one only has to look at Vancouvers 3rd line scoring and how they've outscored Buffalos 1st line to see what actual hockey depth is. Vancouver has it going on with a Buffalo castoff leading the way with secondary scoring and Regier never gave it a thought that he could have had Torres for the year for what he's paying scotts brother. It'll be interesting to see how Buffalo handles that Canuck team later this week.

With an exception of a few, most offensive players who leave Lindy Ruff's system go on and become better scorers. Max Afinagenov, Taylor Pyatt, Dominic Moore, Torres, Clarke MacArthur and JP Dumont.

Cullen actually was one I wanted as well and would have been more than a 3rd line center for this team in my book, he could be 1st team on the PP like he is playing now.

I know since I have him on my fantasy hockey team and he has been a very solid pickup.

My first year fantasy GM pickups and trades have been more strategic than Darcy has done in 3 years so he is the real problem in my thinking here.

I've always liked Cullen's game.

I think a big part of his choosing Minnesota was a legit chance to center the second line.

With an exception of a few, most offensive players who leave Lindy Ruff's system go on and become better scorers. Max Afinagenov, Taylor Pyatt, Dominic Moore, Torres, Clarke MacArthur and JP Dumont.

Its an Interesting thought, and it would be nice to have conclusive evidence either way.

Moore and Torres were rentals in my book...... and anybody capable of coaching Max would be coaching genius. Real head scratcher...61 pts. and no substantial offers after last year.

I think you have to account for increased ice time as well.

Dumonts numbers have been pretty consistent.

Taylor Pyatt had the Anson Carter effect working for him in Vancouver playing with the Sedin twins.

Just like Paille, Drury, & Briere. While I don't think Lindy cultivates the most goal scoring, scorers score no matter where they are. Given the minute sample size in front of us, I don't think any type of conclusion can be drawn from the stats.

Just like Paille, Drury, & Briere. While I don't think Lindy cultivates the most goal scoring, scorers score no matter where they are. Given the minute sample size in front of us, I don't think any type of conclusion can be drawn from the stats.

Same. Plus, sure Afingenov had a better year in Atlanta after a couple bad seasons in Buffalo, but what about 2005-07 when he was tearing teams up and everyone here loved him? Was that Lindy, too?

Good post. I have seen at least parts of all the games on my Center Ice package sans the ones I couldn't finish watching because they were out right bad and there were really only a handful of those I recall. There have been a lot of bounces go against them but the most distrubing part has been has been the lack of players step up to overcome that adversity. Only a few players that stand out to me this year really giving it their all most nights and most shifts are Roy, McCormick and Montador. Where are the others on this team?

It is fine line between winning and losing in this league and looking at their one goal losses it's easy to see we have been close. For me it is not losses that bother me but what appears to be the acceptance of losing. I want to see an angry not happy with losing attitude and effort vs spurts of trying with a resigned to lose attitude.

Genuinely show me that attitude and effort game in and game out and I will not always be happy with the results but I will still be happy with cheering my team.

A look at the standings is quite surprising in the East. There are a tonne of mediocre teams in the East and the Sabres are still in the thick of it, but time's a wastin'.

Taylor Pyatt had the Anson Carter effect working for him in Vancouver playing with the Sedin twins.

He was a +13 in Phoenix last year playing with the Bobbsey twins.

My point with ex-players is that any rental comes in here and sucks because they need to be programmed like a computer for Lindy's system. Both Regier and Ruff don't value power forwards and don't know how to use them. Grier is as close as we have to one, and even he has been defense first, most of his career.

Vancouver makes a living picking off our bigger guys. Maybe Gaustad and Vanek end up there? How 'bout them apples?

He was a +13 in Phoenix last year playing with the Bobbsey twins.

My point with ex-players is that any rental comes in here and sucks because they need to be programmed like a computer for Lindy's system. Both Regier and Ruff don't value power forwards and don't know how to use them. Grier is as close as we have to one, and even he has been defense first, most of his career.

Vancouver makes a living picking off our bigger guys. Maybe Gaustad and Vanek end up there? How 'bout them apples?

I guess I would say I think the traditional power-forward in the NHL has become the rarest bird in the jungle.

I think a power-forward would have between 20-25 goals and 2 or 3 hits a game.

By that definition - there are probably only 12 in the league.

When fans ask for one - this is probably what they mean.

The trouble is they so rarely develop and if they do, it usually isn't until they are 26-30.

Buffalo aside - maybe you have your Nick Foligno - Kris Kunitz - Milan Lucic types that are quite inconsistent. But I would have to say - Buffalo hasn't had any one in recent memory - that I would put in a Power Forward category.

Drafting or Coaching? I think you aren't wrong to speculate that their is an absence.

But that's league-wide.

I guess I would say I think the traditional power-forward in the NHL has become the rarest bird in the jungle.

I think a power-forward would have between 20-25 goals and 2 or 3 hits a game.

By that definition - there are probably only 12 in the league.

When fans ask for one - this is probably what they mean.

The trouble is they so rarely develop and if they do, it usually isn't until they are 26-30.

Buffalo aside - maybe you have your Nick Foligno - Kris Kunitz - Milan Lucic types that are quite inconsistent. But I would have to say - Buffalo hasn't had any one in recent memory - that I would put in a Power Forward category.

Drafting or Coaching? I think you aren't wrong to speculate that their is an absence.

But that's league-wide.

I know the game has changed, but it's obvious that we don't even value a player who plays "big". Montador is the closest we have, and he is a step above journeyman.

Gaustad has turned into the Trent Edwards of the Sabres. So much promise to have an impact, and he has wilted further every year the past 3.

I think under a different structure, a guy like Gaustad could be an asset, Stafford has shown flashes of enthusiasm and doesn't shy away from a confrontation when it is obvious one is needed. Vanek "could" be that power forward, but he and Lindy are never eye to eye it seems. Even a guy like Butler might feel his oats under another system. Heck, Roy with the right guidance could have been a two way pest. We just never had the horses in here after Drury and Briere to show them on the ice.

This francise is on the ledge right now. Stories from friends of not being able to get anything near value for their tickets.....Miller rumors....apathy is building. This didn't happen overnight. I want a chance to make a real run someday, but I may be a grandpa before that happens.

I know the game has changed, but it's obvious that we don't even value a player who plays "big". Montador is the closest we have, and he is a step above journeyman.

Gaustad has turned into the Trent Edwards of the Sabres. So much promise to have an impact, and he has wilted further every year the past 3.

I think under a different structure, a guy like Gaustad could be an asset, Stafford has shown flashes of enthusiasm and doesn't shy away from a confrontation when it is obvious one is needed. Vanek "could" be that power forward, but he and Lindy are never eye to eye it seems. Even a guy like Butler might feel his oats under another system. Heck, Roy with the right guidance could have been a two way pest. We just never had the horses in here after Drury and Briere to show them on the ice.

This francise is on the ledge right now. Stories from friends of not being able to get anything near value for their tickets.....Miller rumors....apathy is building. This didn't happen overnight. I want a chance to make a real run someday, but I may be a grandpa before that happens.

Disgustingly accurate description.

Disgustingly accurate description.

Was there ever this so called promise? He really had to work on his game just to get a call after several years in the "A". I don't think he was ever considered a savior. He's not what we want him to be but I feel that's no fault of his own.

Was there ever this so called promise? He really had to work on his game just to get a call after several years in the "A". I don't think he was ever considered a savior. He's not what we want him to be but I feel that's no fault of his own.

At the price, he's not what the Sabres wanted him to be, or hope he would be.

Vancouver has it going on with a Buffalo castoff leading the way with secondary scoring and Regier never gave it a thought that he could have had Torres for the year for what he's paying scotts brother. It'll be interesting to see how Buffalo handles that Canuck team later this week.

are you kidding me? had Regier signed Torres for the year after the way he played the few months he was here, people would have rioted and slayed the man!! i know i'd be in that mob!

are you kidding me? had Regier signed Torres for the year after the way he played the few months he was here, people would have rioted and slayed the man!! i know i'd be in that mob!

Well no, actually I'm not kidding you. I did state in my post that I'm not a fan of Torres but if Regiers such a sage when it comes to evaluating talent then he obviously got it wrong with both Torres and Scotts brother.

Archived