Unconfirmed rumor

Two or less

Vogl's so cutting edge. <_< The Snooze's sports writers tire me. That's why I come here! :thumbsup:

He's the beat writer.

He probably has one of the most interesting jobs and one of the least interesting tasks.

He is supposed to report day to day without an historical memory or any apparent opinion.

I actually think he does a great job.

then the feature guys ask him for his notes for critical pieces.

Now the guy has to blog too. The blog is a gray area - where it is unclear how much he is allowed to express...

I thought this was interesting from Vogl and this jab at the News:

7:37 p.m.; Gotta admit -- I'm so jealous when I look around the press box and see that every other writer gets to be just a hockey writer instead of a writer/blogger. I used to really, really love that job.

Probably a heavy work-flow when the feature sports writers have it a bit easier.

He's the beat writer.

He probably has one of the most interesting jobs and one of the least interesting tasks.

He is supposed to report day to day without an historical memory or any apparent opinion.

I actually think he does a great job.

then the feature guys ask him for his notes for critical pieces.

Now the guy has to blog too. The blog is a gray area - where it is unclear how much he is allowed to express...

I thought this was interesting from Vogl and this jab at the News:

7:37 p.m.; Gotta admit -- I'm so jealous when I look around the press box and see that every other writer gets to be just a hockey writer instead of a writer/blogger. I used to really, really love that job.

Probably a heavy work-flow when the feature sports writers have it a bit easier.

His writing is full of opinions -- they're just usually pro-Sabres, which bugs the crap out of me. These guys can actually make news with their postgame questions -- I want Mike Harrington asking those questions. But that's just me.

I have to wonder who the audience is for the blog. Folks who aren't motivated enough to watch or listen to the game? If that's the case, you'd think the team might want to prevent live blogging from the arena. Force folks to tune in. Doesn't live blogging fall under the "retransmission, rebroadcasting and other accounts without the express written consent of the Pope" yada yada yada warning they used to read on air? What if Vogl started doing play by play?

His writing is full of opinions -- they're just usually pro-Sabres, which bugs the crap out of me. These guys can actually make news with their postgame questions -- I want Mike Harrington asking those questions. But that's just me.

I have to wonder who the audience is for the blog. Folks who aren't motivated enough to watch or listen to the game? If that's the case, you'd think the team might want to prevent live blogging from the arena. Force folks to tune in. Doesn't live blogging fall under the "retransmission, rebroadcasting and other accounts without the express written consent of the Pope" yada yada yada warning they used to read on air? What if Vogl started doing play by play?

But a paper is really a team IMO:

Gleason=Harrington=Vogl

Its not that beat writers aren't personally critical - its just unlikely their criticisms are going to show under their bylines.

Take for example The NJ's crappy season --- here's their beat writers --- Vogl could have written it. You could read it and think

they are having a sunny season - but analysis isn't his job.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/devilsbeatreportersblog/

The beat doesn't look for distress - but is probably keenly aware of it.

Or check out this guy..the Rangers New York beat writer, pretty much the same stuff:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/hockey/nationalhockeyleague/newyorkrangers/index.html?offset=0&s=newest

Day to Day, injuries, changes, comings and goings without concern for organizational analysis beyond the transaction.

Its always somewhat sunny in beat land. It's basic, uncomplicated, its the beat, so you really aren't wrong

in perceiving a vanilla-like cheerfulness

Beat writers don't get an editorial voice (or really aren't supposed to), nor are they investigating.

With Feature writers - its a totally different game.

But you are not going to get any soaring commentary from beat writers.

Red Fisher in Montreal may be a little different. He's been doing it since before there was AP style-book and he was

beat writer and columnist.

Anyway, that's my take. FWIW.

Most passionate hockey fans aren't going to learn too much from the in town beat writer.

You are already going to know before the paper prints.

Its not your fault man, this league is retarded when it comes to listing injuries, its a joke.

I'm just glad to see Miller back.

I'm glad to see Miller back too but it was fun seeing Enroth handle his first few games and he did it well. The future looks good from the small sample we got.

I work with a guy who is a former trainer of the Buffalo Sabres and went to the Amerks game last night, and met up with an old friend whos still a current Sabres scout to catch up on things... and the scout told him Ryan Miller will be out for 4-5 months because they will have him get surgery. They thought rest would heal it but his leg isn't getting any better and will opt for surgery.

Like i said, it's obviously a rumor. I don't know what was said because i wasn't there but i don't see why this guy would lie to me or i don't see why the scout, whos his friend, would lie to him. Take it for what its worth, but since i heard it today, i felt i needed to share it with you guys but i pray to god this is false.

Well seems only fair to speculate on this original rumor again.

I am not convinced your original post here wasn't correct and that Miller decided to try and play through what ails him rather than give up on the season.

If true will this play several games and then be out several pattern really help this team or should we just bite the bullet and get Miller taken care of?

I personally opt for the later if only to expose the rest of the team, I would want to see who plays even harder vs playing it out. I also think if it really is that type of injury he will need all that time just to get ready for next year vs waiting till end of season and then not being ready at the start next year.

Millers trying to play through injury so he can play in the all star game. :blink:

Well now that is real wild spackulation. If it is an injury he is trying to play through then the all star game would be one of those rest for your team vs pad your trophy case opportunties.

I willing to bet that this is still an option at some point. Although Miller looked decent enough since coming back, the fact that he didn't dress is a mini red flag. He had a good period of time off and is still ginger. This could be a lingering issue.

Exactly and if he cannot play more than 3 or 4 games or in back to backs well then he will not really be able to help in playoff run either will he.

All the more reason IMO to test your other options(players) and see if any of them can get you there.

Miller looked decent enough since coming back, the fact that he didn't dress is a mini red flag. ... This could be a lingering issue.

i was at the game on saturday, and when we noticed that it was enroth on the bench (when we saw the team returning to the ice for the second), all conversation turned to the theory that miller has an injury that he can play through to a point, but that he's been told will require surgery to repair.

Well seems only fair to speculate on this original rumor again.

If true will this play several games and then be out several pattern really help this team or should we just bite the bullet and get Miller taken care of?

as much as it sucks to say, recent events coud vindicate vanek-man's original post.

and i agree with dudly if that is the case: better to bite the bullet now and get the thing repaired.

then again, i see from the sabres edge blog that the company line is that the injury that kept him in the press box on saturday (groin) is different from the injury that kept him out of the lineup a couple of weeks ago (hip). :unsure:

as much as it sucks to say, recent events coud vindicate vanek-man's original post.

and i agree with dudly if that is the case: better to bite the bullet now and get the thing repaired.

then again, i see from the sabres edge blog that the company line is that the injury that kept him in the press box on saturday (groin) is different from the injury that kept him out of the lineup a couple of weeks ago (hip). :unsure:

Yeah but this team has never been transparent on their players issues and it is also pretty common when you change your physical approach to something you do to compensate for something not working right it often causes an issue somewhere else thats getting more or diffrent stress than it's used to.

Just saying, if he couldn't play for the duration of a long playoff run than shut him down and get him fixed and find out what you have in the cupboard while he is gone.

Now Niedermeyer out indefinitely with a bad knee he's had since training camp. WTF is up with players trying to start the season injured?? Ugh.

http://www.wgr550.com/Niedermayer-has-knee-surgery/8627073

On the plus side, at least it's only Niedermeyer. :thumbsup:

Okay than lets bring Ellis back, not sure if anyone else noticed but our nice run began around his original call up and ended when they sent him back after Fridays game. Not that hockey coaches, players etc are or should be superstitous

Okay than lets bring Ellis back, not sure if anyone else noticed but our nice run began around his original call up and ended when they sent him back after Fridays game. Not that hockey coaches, players etc are or should be superstitous

I agree, I like Ellis on the team and I don't think it's a coincidence they started to turn it around when he came up. He's not the most skilled guy, but at least he comes to play every night and I think that rubs off on the other players (please no more SGM jokes).

This "unrelated" injury is the same damned injury. Guaranteed, Miller was approached by Darcy and begged to do whatever he could to hold off on the surgery as long as he could, for fear of the season completely sliding into the crapper with him out for a few months. Unrelated, my ass.

Archived