How fresh is the Sabres product?

SDS

61 members have voted

1. 1. How fresh is the Sabres' product?

• Very fresh! Crunchy on the outside and moist in the middle...
    • Fairly fresh. A little of the crunch is lost and the middle is a tad dry.
    • Fading fast. Ready for the quick sale shelf.
    • Stale. Chuck it out to the birds and let them fight over it.

It will be MUCH MORE of the same this season.

I had season tickets and I can safely say the arena was half asleep throughout 85% of the games.

Want to know why?

The Sabres are stale. The players are stale. The GM sits on his hands. And the coach is utilizing a play style that suffocates all offensive creativity.

I had season tickets and I can safely say the arena was half asleep throughout 85% of the games.

Want to know why?

The Sabres are stale. The players are stale. The GM sits on his hands. And the coach is utilizing a play style that suffocates all offensive creativity.

No suprise the place goes quiet as a morgue everytime the opposition pulls ahead.

Even happened in the playoffs, which is completely ridiculous.

Not that the fans go quiet, but that the team is so boring to watch, it happens like it's the most natural thing in the world.

Want to know why?

Preach it Brother!!! I drove eight hour round trip to watch them get shut out by the Devils and that was the only time I made the drive. The rest of the year I honestly did not watch one complete game from start to finish. Their style of play is stale and uninspired and I for one am sick of hearing about the system; because when the system starts to break down there is no one on that team including the coach who knows how to right the sinking ship.

One of the biggest factors in my disillusionment with the Sabres has to be the coaching. Honestly, I'm done with Lindy Ruff.

I've been off an on that train for two seasons now, but now I've parked myself in first class.

The fact of the matter is he couldn't win a cup with a far superior team two years in a row. The first time around wasn't his fault; injuries occur. The second time though, I can't help but now place most of the blame on Ruff. He couldn't find a way to beat Ottawa. He was out-coached.

I look at the Canadians this post season as the polar opposite. They were a ho-hum team that almost went all the way entirely based upon their coaching. They defeated two far superior teams back to back (Washington and Pitt) because their coach figured out how to win. Montreal's coach stifled the two most talented offenses in the league and made Halak look like a superstar.

Ruff proved he wasn't capable in doing that in the 07 playoffs, and completely floundered in the 2010 playoffs. He has continued to prove his inability to turn this team around when the times get rough.

Speaking on special teams only further establishes my case against Ruff. :doh:

It's time for a change. Until the coaching or management changes, this team is going nowhere.

There dose seem to be some confusion between the ideas of following a team and being entertained while following. I honestly can say the most entertaining hockey I watched all season did not involve the Buffalo Sabres.

Well, I don't think anyone could objectively say that Chicago wasn't a more entertaining team than the Sabres. Several other teams too. But not that many.

Want to know why?

No suprise the place goes quiet as a morgue everytime the opposition pulls ahead.

Even happened in the playoffs, which is completely ridiculous.

Not that the fans go quiet, but that the team is so boring to watch, it happens like it's the most natural thing in the world.

I agree that (on TV, anyway) the arena didn't seem to be very intense this year. But I think it's because Black Sunday and the following 2 lame seasons left them needing to be convinced that they had a team worth believing in. It's all about winning in crunch time and showing some heart, and this team hasn't done either yet.

Also, I think it's an exaggeration to say all offensive creativity has been stifled when they were #9 in the NHL in scoring last year.

Preach it Brother!!! I drove eight hour round trip to watch them get shut out by the Devils and that was the only time I made the drive. The rest of the year I honestly did not watch one complete game from start to finish. Their style of play is stale and uninspired and I for one am sick of hearing about the system; because when the system starts to break down there is no one on that team including the coach who knows how to right the sinking ship.

I agree that none of the players can lift the team up when they really need it. Maybe Vanek or Myers (or someone else who surprises us) can get there this year.

I look at the Canadians this post season as the polar opposite. They were a ho-hum team that almost went all the way entirely based upon their coaching. They defeated two far superior teams back to back (Washington and Pitt) because their coach figured out how to win. Montreal's coach stifled the two most talented offenses in the league and made Halak look like a superstar.

Well, I'd say Martin did a good job for the Habs this spring, but it was more Halak and opponents choking that advanced them. We should also remember that the habs squeaked into the playoffs on the last day.

The bottom 6 looks just on the right side of ok.

The top 6 are getting stale, my need to blue light sale some of them.

Defense appears to be in rebuild mode.

Goaltending is about the only product that is consumable, that and Myers.

This is a perfect assessment.

You mean when Miller breaks down?

Cause that's Ruff's system - Hope your goalie stands on his head and the team can score two.

Ruff needs a Hasek or a Miller to be successful. The difference between the '98-'99 team and this team, is that Hasek's team had a crapload more heart than these pussies.

Ruff HAS no "system".

I suppose you could even argue Hasek left because he finally realised he WAS the "system", but even for me that would be a little far fetched.

This team is stale. Too many players that can't or simply won't battle through when needed. We need a big injection of heart and size as well as one or two new members in the top 6 to show the other lifers on this team that you've got to work for rewards, not expect it as Regier seems to. Other teams in this league have turned it around from bad to competetive in one year much the same as Buffalo did last season but they did it with creative G.M's that actually made moves not by relying on your goaltender and the new rookie to have a career year. A couple others had bounceback years as well. Regier benefitted from the perfect storm and we improved, I don't believe we'll take forward steps based on the moves we've seen so far.

This team is stale. Too many players that can't or simply won't battle through when needed. We need a big injection of heart and size as well as one or two new members in the top 6 to show the other lifers on this team that you've got to work for rewards, not expect it as Regier seems to. Other teams in this league have turned it around from bad to competetive in one year much the same as Buffalo did last season but they did it with creative G.M's that actually made moves not by relying on your goaltender and the new rookie to have a career year. A couple others had bounceback years as well. Regier benefitted from the perfect storm and we improved, I don't believe we'll take forward steps based on the moves we've seen so far.

Good post. This reminds me. Regier sort of semi-scolded Tyler Ennis after the season, warning the rookie not to assume a roster spot will be waiting in the fall. Yet he has a roster full of contented players who know a spot will be waiting. On top of that, Darcy has said several times his core will see "continuous improvement." How? Just by getting a year older? Why doesn't Darcy call out Roy or Connolly or Pominville with the same message Ennis got? Once again this franchise shows itself as one that wants to go only so far. The guts are not there to push through. The very definition of spitting out the bit, eh Ghost?

And, oh yeah, I just remembered another comment, this one by LQ. Before the trade deadline, he said the Sabres didn't want to make a big trade and risk a chance at five Cups in Miller's prime. First of all... nonsense. Second of all, wow, that's quite a ringing endorsement of your GM. Why wouldn't the assumption be that the Sabres would be improved, not weakened, by such a trade? Because it would have been a rental situation? Would the cost have been that high? Doesn't it seem ridiculous now, after the playoff debacle, to think that anyone on that roster -- short of Miller, Myers and Vanek -- is central to a Cup run in the next five years?

This is great therapy.

Then there was the time Grandma made me wear her royal blue panties trimmed with gold.

Good post. This reminds me. Regier sort of semi-scolded Tyler Ennis after the season, warning the rookie not to assume a roster spot will be waiting in the fall. Yet he has a roster full of contented players who know a spot will be waiting. On top of that, Darcy has said several times his core will see "continuous improvement." How? Just by getting a year older? Why doesn't Darcy call out Roy or Connolly or Pominville with the same message Ennis got? Once again this franchise shows itself as one that wants to go only so far. The guts are not there to push through. The very definition of spitting out the bit, eh Ghost?

Couldn't agree more, taken in context with how complacent the brat pack is, that statement was just plain moronic.

Would've made sense if the Sabres were a club where every player knew he were a healthy scratch if he didn't put in an honest effort, but the Sabres are hardly that kind of club

Archived