Sabres sign Jordan Leopold

spndnchz

Was Gonchar a Devil?

The Sens will be better offensively with Gonchar though they give up some grit & toughness. New Jersey gets better by adding that grit and toughness to replace losing Paul Martin. See, that is what good teams do. They suffer a loss and come right back and address it.

It really has nothing to do with the Devils. I'm simply pointing out the inconsistency in those statements about Ottawa. Anyway, I don't think we can say they suffered a loss and then addressed it since they signed Gonchar before Volchenkov went to Jersey. They also just dropped a 27 year old defenseman for a 36 year old coming off of 2 injury filled seasons. It doesn't look like a step in the right direction for me. They still have the same exact problems they had last year, a lack of forward depth, a mediocre defensive unit, and no goaltending.

And here comes the response I'm waiting for, that Buffalo hasn't done a thing yet either. That's fine, anyone can say that, but don't go giving Ottawa credit while tearing down the Sabres.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2130/career;_ylt=A0wNdcW9Ay1MrI8ASA5ivLYF

Seems a possible cheaper Lydman/Tallinder

3 year deal haven't heard how much yet.

I am trying to figure out what the downside is to this lydman was a liability this year..lots of mistakes..tallinder was ok

everyone is jacking off over volchenkov

stats 4 goals 10 assist plus 2 this year..

last year 2 goals 8 assist minus 10 not a powerplay d-man 47 games missed over the last 3 years..explain why he is great?

leopold 11 goals 15 assist minus 2

last year 7 goals 17 assist minus 15 1 game missed over last 2 years......where is the concussion problem? he had missed a lot 3 years ago but nothing the last 2

so lets see

last 2 years leopold 18 goals 32 assist 1 game missed will be 30 at season start

volchenkov 6 goals 18 assist 32 games missed will turn 29 mid season

tallinder 5 goals 27 assist 16 games missed will turn 32 at mid season

lydman 7 goals 36 assist 17 games missed will be 33 at season start

so someone explain//you people need to stop going on what the mullet sais and look at the numbers....honestly say what you will but of the 4 defense mentioned in these post we got the best goal scorer and assist man who is the second youngest and has missed the least amount of games in the last 2 seasons

I am trying to figure out what the downside is to this lydman was a liability this year..lots of mistakes..tallinder was ok

everyone is jacking off over volchenkov

stats 4 goals 10 assist plus 2 this year..

last year 2 goals 8 assist minus 10 not a powerplay d-man 47 games missed over the last 3 years..explain why he is great?

leopold 11 goals 15 assist minus 2

last year 7 goals 17 assist minus 15 1 game missed over last 2 years......where is the concussion problem? he had missed a lot 3 years ago but nothing the last 2

so lets see

last 2 years leopold 18 goals 32 assist 1 game missed will be 30 at season start

so someone explain//you people need to stop going on what the mullet sais and look at the numbers....honestly say what you will but of the 4 defense mentioned in these post we got the best goal scorer and assist man who is the second youngest and has missed the least amount of games in the last 2 seasons

If you can't figure out what Volchenkov brings to the rink then you must be Darcy Regier. The guy is a hammer on defense. He takes the body and is willing to sacrifice his own body to make a play. He is one of the premier shot blockers in the league. He will fit in well with the Devils.

It really has nothing to do with the Devils. I'm simply pointing out the inconsistency in those statements about Ottawa. Anyway, I don't think we can say they suffered a loss and then addressed it since they signed Gonchar before Volchenkov went to Jersey. They also just dropped a 27 year old defenseman for a 36 year old coming off of 2 injury filled seasons. It doesn't look like a step in the right direction for me. They still have the same exact problems they had last year, a lack of forward depth, a mediocre defensive unit, and no goaltending.

And here comes the response I'm waiting for, that Buffalo hasn't done a thing yet either. That's fine, anyone can say that, but don't go giving Ottawa credit while tearing down the Sabres.

No, we can. They knew that Volcenkov would end up elsewhere and addressed the problem. I know many Sabre fans are unfamiliar with the concept of being proactive. Since the Sabres rarely, if ever, are.

Ottawa and every team that went out today that attempted to improve their hockey club deserve all the credit in the world. That is what July 1st is supposed to be about. There are fans in some cities today really excited about what their teams accomplished and have every right to be. As Sabres fans we are left again hoping there is something more to come. As a July 1st Free Agent Frenzy day in Buffalo, this one sucked pretty much like they all have for a while now.

If you can't figure out what Volchenkov brings to the rink then you must be Darcy Regier. The guy is a hammer on defense. He takes the body and is willing to sacrifice his own body to make a play. He is one of the premier shot blockers in the league. He will fit in well with the Devils.

how did that work out for ottawa last year?

You've been big on giving Weber his shot with the big club the last two years. What do you think about him getting it now?

Weber is Myers partner.

Its a solid fit. Weber is a defensive d man, and Myers will go with the O on any pairing he is placed with.

I like it. I like it alot. Weber is ready, Myers will make him that much better.

Leopold was a good signing. I see him with Rivet next season if Sekera gets traded. I don't see Butler back up any time soon.

All and all I wasn't overly thrilled with the signing if "win now" is the mentality. But I have to give Darcy credit on this particular signing. 3 years is good.

Myers will command big money if he plays at the level next season he did this one, with that being the case, and Rivets contract is up next season, I think its safe to say this draft and this particular signing were geared towards that end.

Weber is Myers partner.

Its a solid fit. Weber is a defensive d man, and Myers will go with the O on any pairing he is placed with.

I like it. I like it alot. Weber is ready, Myers will make him that much better.

Leopold was a good signing. I see him with Rivet next season if Sekera gets traded. I don't see Butler back up any time soon.

All and all I wasn't overly thrilled with the signing if "win now" is the mentality. But I have to give Darcy credit on this particular signing. 3 years is good.

Myers will command big money if he plays at the level next season he did this one, with that being the case, and Rivets contract is up next season, I think its safe to say this draft and this particular signing were geared towards that end.

+1

Weber is Myers partner.

I think Butler will be fine. The kid was thrown into the fire pretty quickly and had a rough first full season in the NHL. He's still very young and will bounce back. If he can do that and fill a 3rd pair role, that will be fine.

I'm sort of with you on that idea that Sekera will be traded too. I don't think it will necessarily be him, but I get the feeling that one of him and Butler will be involved in some package deal for help up front.

Ok. So Buffalo's Defense so far looks like Rivet, Myers, Leopold, Montador, Weber and Gragnani?? Who am I missing?

On first glance, that looks bad...... real bad...

On first glance, that looks bad...... real bad...

I'm nervous as well. :unsure:

We all know Darcy is prone to play out the 1st and 2nd wave and pick up the scraps. Thats his style. This signing to him is big. He has faith in his players. Some of us don't. His perceptions are our reality as Sabres Hockey Fans!

BTW anyone have any good potato salad recipes?

Not sure if he's the power-play "quarterback" we're looking for or not, but I've always liked Leopold's game. Glad to have him. Hope they sign one or two more, and hope they find that patsy somewhere (I'm looking at you, Columbus) on whom to foist Connolford by September.

Myers made tallinder, coming off the suck, look like an all star, no worries

What's tonight's drink of choice? ;)

I have no problem with Tallinder & Lydman going and Leopold coming in. But I would like to see another, better, move by Darcy.

Weber can skate, people need to watch more of the Pirates. I see no problem with Webers legs. He plays a simple game that keeps opposing players honest. He is aggressive and Physical. Made the AHL all star team. A very good potential fit as he grows in the NHL with Myers. Actually, I see these 2 together for a good many years as the #1 pairing for Buffalo, people should be very happy with this move.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76921

Leopold should help with more offensive touch from the D.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2130/career;_ylt=A0wNdcW9Ay1MrI8ASA5ivLYF

Seems a possible cheaper Lydman/Tallinder

3 year deal haven't heard how much yet.

OK here is how it shakes out so far since the trading deadline:

Sabres team loses: Tallinder, Lydman, MacArthur, Paetsch and (almost cetainly) Rafi Torres and a 2nd round pick in the 2010 draft.

Sabres team gains: Leopold, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc, Steven Shipley

Here is what I posted on March 3,2010:

"The way I see it breaking down is the Sabres lose a 2nd round pick along with Paetsch and MacArthur now, then they lose Torres,Tallinder and Lydman in the summer and what they get back is a 3rd and 4th rounder.

I think any objective observer would call that quite lopsided against the Sabres.

Lose 5 players and a 2nd rounder in exchange for a 3rd and 4th rounder. Terrible work in my opinion."

I have to add Leopold now, but I still think the Sabres came out the loser of these deals.

Leopold would have been tied with Myers for the lead on the Sabres in blocked shots last year (137 vs. Tallinder/Lydman at 95/98), hit more than Tallinder, but less than Lydman, and had more points than both, including more goals than both combined. Maybe a little better than re-signing one of those two, but not a big upgrade.

Good post.

Typical Sabres free agent downgrade.

Same story every time. As soon as they start to look better with youth (eg. Myers) rather than upgrade they take a step back. Miller must be pissed knowing two of his three best D men are gone.

Maybe they can get myers to log 60 minutes a game this year :wallbash:

I don't agree. I think Leopold is better than either Tallinder or Lydman.

Was Gonchar a Devil?

The Sens will be better offensively with Gonchar though they give up some grit & toughness. New Jersey gets better by adding that grit and toughness to replace losing Paul Martin. See, that is what good teams do. They suffer a loss and come right back and address it.

The Devils downgraded today in losing Martin and gaining Tallinder and Volchenkov. They are not better than they were.

Ottawa may be, as Gonchar is a good player who will add quite a bit to their attack -- if he can stay heathy. That contract is risky. Also, if Ottawa has to dump Spezza, they will be worse than they were despite adding Gonchar.

Good stats. A little obnoxious on the presentation though.

Good post and I agree that Volchenkov is a good player.

Weber is Myers partner.

I agree with most of this, but NFW that Weber is Myers' partner next year. Myers is going to play 25+ minutes per game. Weber hasn't been able to play more than 25 minutes in an NHL season, ever. (I exaggerate, but only a bit.) I think Leopold is the front-runner to be Myers' partner.

I'm guessing:

Myers-Leopold

Rivet-Montador

Sekera-Weber

Butler as #7

Myers made tallinder, coming off the suck, look like an all star, no worries

+1

I have no problem with Tallinder & Lydman going and Leopold coming in. But I would like to see another, better, move by Darcy.

+1

Archived