Sabres sign Jordan Leopold

spndnchz

Leopold would have been tied with Myers for the lead on the Sabres in blocked shots last year (137 vs. Tallinder/Lydman at 95/98), hit more than Tallinder, but less than Lydman, and had more points than both, including more goals than both combined. Maybe a little better than re-signing one of those two, but not a big upgrade.

Typical Sabres free agent downgrade.

Same story every time. As soon as they start to look better with youth (eg. Myers) rather than upgrade they take a step back. Miller must be pissed knowing two of his three best D men are gone.

Maybe they can get myers to log 60 minutes a game this year :wallbash:

Vogl from BN talked to Leopold:

Just got off the phone a bit ago with newly signed Jordan Leopold, and here's the conversation:

"I’m excited. Right when I found out Buffalo was interested, I talked to Tommy Vanek, gave him a call, and my wife talked to his wife, we talked about the area. I’ve got three kids, and it’s one of those spots I really don’t know much about, but he filled me in and I was real excited and intrigued after that. I’m looking for a spot that’s good for the family, and my kids have fun while we go out and strive for goals.

"I think you look at it, they’re a playoff team every year. Goaltending-wise, they’ve got one of the best goaltenders in the league. Defense, the young defenseman Myers there, he’s an up-and-coming attraction and definitely a top player in the league already at a young age. I can hopefully complement him a little bit. We’ve got some good-scoring forwards. I think it was the whole package for myself, my family, hockey – for what I was looking for, Buffalo was a good spot for me."

On his power-play status, which didn't come into play in Florida or Pittsburgh last season: "I was more of a secondary guy in both spots. I didn’t see a lot of first power-play time, but who knows? All those things are earned through training camp and through the year. Who knows where they see me on that, but if called upon I definitely feel I can contribute somewhat."

On anything else Vanek told him: "He told me the wings are really good there."

On going from Florida to Pittsburgh and Buffalo: "It’s important to play in a market that sees hockey as a No. 1 game. ... To be in a market where people see hockey as a headliner is nice. It is refreshing, and I think my kids enjoy it more than anything."

-Vogl

Darcy slightly over paid Leopold. But whatever. Another pointless move that further perpetuates the mediocracy of the team. Perhaps he catches fire on the PP here, perhaps not. As of right now though, he's another "ho-hum" defender.

Devils acquired Tallinder and Volchenkov.

Sens got Gonchar.

Penguins acquired two new dmen that will help them move the puck even more efficiently.

The rest of our conference got better. We did not.

Darcy slightly over paid Leopold. But whatever. Another pointless move that further perpetuates the mediocracy of the team. Perhaps he catches fire on the PP here, perhaps not. As of right now though, he's another "ho-hum" defender.

Devils acquired Tallinder and Volchenkov.

Sens got Gonchar.

Penguins acquired two new dmen that will help them move the puck even more efficiently.

The rest of our conference got better. We did not.

True, maybe overpaid. Everyone does today. But the Sens and Devils had no real top pair besides these guys anyway. I'd say they strengthened but didn't really go past last years line.

Me either, actually not at all close.

He gets 3 year deal, 3mill each.

Wait, so we just re-signed this guy for the same as Loods signed with the Ducks... and with his recent concussion, how is this an upgrade (other than going younger)??

Thanks... I'm feeling a little better about the guy after reading Bill Hoppe's post, but I still feel like it was a mistake to let Tallinder go. Obviously Lamoriello (sp?) thinks his value is in helping the younger guys out, and I agree. I would certainly not mind being proven wrong this coming season but I think we needed him more for Myers than anything else (and he wasn't exactly a liability). Oh well.

Thanks... I'm feeling a little better about the guy after reading Bill Hoppe's post, but I still feel like it was a mistake to let Tallinder go. Obviously Lamoriello (sp?) thinks his value is in helping the younger guys out, and I agree. I would certainly not mind being proven wrong this coming season but I think we needed him more for Myers than anything else (and he wasn't exactly a liability). Oh well.

I'd agree. But after last year I think Myers has learned all he needs from Tallinder. U move on to someone else and learn a bit more. Comes a time u need to fly out of the nest.

I'd agree. But after last year I think Myers has learned all he needs from Tallinder. U move on to someone else and learn a bit more. Comes a time u need to fly out of the nest.

True dat. Let's hope the Big Easy is flapping his wings come September.

Me either, actually not at all close.

He gets 3 year deal, 3mill each.

Where did you hear 3 for $3 mil? I talked with someone who had it at 3 for a total of about $6 mil. Not sure of the per year, though.

I can't believe that my first post is regarding Jordan Leopold, but...

I went back and watched his shifts from a few Pens games from this past season. I thought I'd share a few observations.

He seems like a totally responsible and hard working defender who plays hard along the boards. What I liked best was his passing. He makes smart and accurate first passes on the breakout. Pittsburgh had him paired with McKee on the PK and he looked good there.

Saw him on a few PP, he worked the point, quick passing, but he was pretty stationary up there.

I can't believe that my first post is regarding Jordan Leopold, but...

I went back and watched his shifts from a few Pens games from this past season. I thought I'd share a few observations.

He seems like a totally responsible and hard working defender who plays hard along the boards. What I liked best was his passing. He makes smart and accurate first passes on the breakout. Pittsburgh had him paired with McKee on the PK and he looked good there.

Saw him on a few PP, he worked the point, quick passing, but he was pretty stationary up there.

Hey! Welcome to the board.

Thinking about it, he might be a good fit for Myers. He spoke about it in his interview so maybe they talked with him about it before they signed. A good stay at home guy so Myers can show off his talent.

Where is Darcy's vision with this signing? It was perfect comming into this season, the sabres needed a change and to do that it would be great to let Henrik and Toni walk, have Weber play for the team next year for a million per and they could then use that extra 5 million on a legitimate top 4 Dman to play with Myers. Instead, Darcy overpays for a 4th or 5th type of Dman. Who the heck are we pairing Myers with next year???? Should we expect another defenseman via trade or signing? If that's the case then are the Sabres sending Weber down for yet another year in Portland? I found more questions than answers with this signing....

Leopold would have been tied with Myers for the lead on the Sabres in blocked shots last year (137 vs. Tallinder/Lydman at 95/98), hit more than Tallinder, but less than Lydman, and had more points than both, including more goals than both combined. Maybe a little better than re-signing one of those two, but not a big upgrade.

This.

I watched him in a few games on center ice. He did move the puck decent enough and he had enough speed as a D man to slip into the slot, take a shot and had the legs to get back into position. Not a great upgrade, but we should see better offensive numbers becuase of his presence in the line up IMO.

I like the few posts I noticed that said Ottawa got better by adding Gonchar, completely ignoring the fact that they just lost Volchenkov... all while mentioning that Jersey got better by adding Volchenkov. Good thinking there, people.

I like the few posts I noticed that said Ottawa got better by adding Gonchar, completely ignoring the fact that they just lost Volchenkov... all while mentioning that Jersey got better by adding Volchenkov. Good thinking there, people.

Was Gonchar a Devil?

The Sens will be better offensively with Gonchar though they give up some grit & toughness. New Jersey gets better by adding that grit and toughness to replace losing Paul Martin. See, that is what good teams do. They suffer a loss and come right back and address it.

Archived