1. 1. Strip Rivet Of The Captaincy?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Yes, Award The C To Whom?

• Grier
    • Gaustad
    • Vanek
    • Other

With Rivet having what seems to be serious shoulder surgery this summer, the perfect opportunity has arisen to strip Craig of the captaincy.

Should the Sabres award the C to another player?

Rivet seems to be a solid vet with some leadership skill, but his poor play all season long cannot be overlooked. I think it's time we elected a new captain.

The most obvious choice for Captain (pending him signing an extension) is Mike Grier. His play in the post season exemplified the courage and determination it takes to win.

While I'm inclined to hand him the captaincy, another option peaks my interest: Thomas Vanek. Paul Hamilton recently proposed awarding Vanek the captaincy. While he admits it's a huge chance, and could result in a tremendous flop, the dividends could be huge. We've seen him struggle back and forth since signing his 50 million dollar contract. Could this be the confidence boost he needs to finally put his game over the top? Or would he crumble underneath the pressure of being Captain? Is it worth taking a shot?

I have an idea that would either work very well or be a huge flop. It's taking a big chance, but I would consider giving it to Thomas Vanek. I think he would flourish with the responsibility. He cares. He's very focused in the room and takes responsibility for his play and actions. It's something I think could and likely would make him a better player.
~ Hamilton

Not only should the 'C' be ripped from the front of his jersey. Next season, and he will be here next year, he should only be known as Raig Rivet. He played so poorly he doesn't deserve to be associated with the letter 'C' in any way.

Funny, I don't really have a problem with Rivet. When I think of things that need to get fixed in the organ-eye-zation, his name is pretty low on the list. Captain? probably not, but that's all I can muster.

I like the concept of players voting for captains; I've said that for years (read some of the threads about rotating captains). I don't think he gets the vote, if there's a vote this autumn.

I have never believed for even a second that "the players" voted Raig Rivet captain. They voted a guy they never met or played for captain? Could there be a worse indictment of this roster than that?

You need a veteran player to wear the C. And I can't think of a better veteran on the team than Rivet to wear it. I mean, who else besides Miller or the rookies deserves it? Kaleta is always hurt, Goose is a shell of his former bad-a$$. No one at the forward ranks besides Vanek should be wearing the A. It's a team where there is no definitive player besides Miller that should honestly have it. I mean, we all KNOW who the real Captain is anyways.

I have never believed for even a second that "the players" voted Raig Rivet captain. They voted a guy they never met or played for captain? Could there be a worse indictment of this roster than that?

haven't most on this forum been arguing exactly that since we signed him?

I don't think that giving Vanek the "C" is the best idea he seemed to have trouble when too much is expected of him, although stepped up very nicely in the playoffs. I think we would have to watch his play next season, he should definately get one of the "A"s. though. Grier is the best choice as long as he re-signs. If Kaleta wasn't hurt all the time that might be a good choice but he's still a bit young. Either way in 2-3 years Myers will be captain anyway and deservedly so.

If Vanek were more of an extrovert, I would have no problem w/ him wearing the "C". Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but he comes off as being far too soft spoken and gets too frustrated when he doesn't make a play for me to see him as Captain "C" material. That said, I wouldn't mind him wearing an "A".

I would really like to see the Sabres bring in a top line center (Brad Richards type maybe) that could wear the "C". Although I wouldn't mind Vanek wearing an "A", I'd really prefer to see the 2 "A's" supporting that top line center be Rivet and Grier. Unless they bring in a "leadership" top line center, I wouldn't pull the "C" off Rivet.

If Vanek were more of an extrovert, I would have no problem w/ him wearing the "C". Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but he comes off as being far too soft spoken and gets too frustrated when he doesn't make a play for me to see him as Captain "C" material. That said, I wouldn't mind him wearing an "A".

I would really like to see the Sabres bring in a top line center (Brad Richards type maybe) that could wear the "C". Although I wouldn't mind Vanek wearing an "A", I'd really prefer to see the 2 "A's" supporting that top line center be Rivet and Grier. Unless they bring in a "leadership" top line center, I wouldn't pull the "C" off Rivet.

I am on board the Brad Richards hype train. He's the only top line center talent I feel we'd have a realistic shot at acquiring.

Too bad it will be run off the tracks by the Sabres Excuse Train. Alllll Aaabbboooarrrddd!

No doubt. If they made a single move this summer, I would honestly be shocked.

Perhaps now, when expectations are so insanely low, Regier will make a move. Or maybe not. :doh:

I think Grier should get the "C", assuming the Sabres re-sign him. Rivet should have had the surgery when he was diagnosed - not waiting the entire season. I don't see how he was helping the team playing injured like that all season and being burnt out by the playoffs.

I voted for Vanek. I totally agree with the extrovert comments. But, as I skimmed through the thread, for as much as i would like to see a proper center brought in. I am not going to hold my breath.

I just thought that Vanek could/should be ready to take it to the next level. He has enough experience, skills and general hockey sense that the "next generation" would follow his lead.

Part of my Sabres captain conundrum is that Lindy wont let go of the players, indecisive, going back to the whole rotating crap. Perhaps it is a control freak thing. When Lindy first became coach, there was always a generation of Patty, Peca or Barnes. After that it all been band-aids and duck tape. Drury or Briere were nice chances, but we know how that turned out.

Rivet has one foot in the fryer for me, he probably has one more year on contract? then done. I did and will always prefer Spacek.

I think Grier should get the "C", assuming the Sabres re-sign him. Rivet should have had the surgery when he was diagnosed - not waiting the entire season. I don't see how he was helping the team playing injured like that all season and being burnt out by the playoffs.

Perhaps this is why his play regressed.

Hard to see who should be captain just from a fan's perspective, but based on only that, I voted for Grier. He's the guy who personifies the combination of toughness and leadership these guys sorely need.

That said, we don't see what happens in the locker room and off the ice. Maybe Rivet was just the type of off-ice "leader", yet didn't quite have it on the ice.

He would've missed the whole season, coming back in May, maybe.

to be honest, none of you clowns know what goes on in the locker room. You dont elect a captain bc he's a badass on the ice and checks people getting the crowd to pound on the glass. Leadership is a lot more than that, it involves a lot of stuff that you as a casual fan have no way to see or judge.

I agree Rivet had a bad year, but this isnt high school hockey where the best player automatically get the C.

Gaustad.

Why is he not the captain already?

My choice is taking into account the poor play this year.

I thought he was the obvious choice before they gave it to Rivet.

It was always interesting that mangement talked about locking up the core young players, but then gave the C to a relative newcomer.

WTF

Goose may need that C to drive him to be the player he can be all the time.

I don't think Vanek would make a good captain.

If they acquire Marleau, he can wear it (disregarding my above hypocritcal statements).

Dream on, numbskull (me)!

Archived